|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
(a) They all have brown hair.
(b) They are from the Federal army.
(c) They are all bald.
(d) They are all smoking cigars.
2. What does the condemned man think is the solution for his predicament?
(a) Finding his gun.
(b) Bribing the guards.
(c) Talking to the governor.
(d) Freeing his hands.
3. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Salutes the troops.
(b) Shoots his pistol.
(c) Steps aside.
(d) Rides away.
4. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(b) Beg for mercy.
(d) Shoot himself.
5. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(c) Railway supports.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
2. During what war does the story take place?
3. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
4. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
5. What are the man's movements?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)