|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
2. What is Jim's response to Keetah's state of health?
3. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
4. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
5. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
Short Essay Questions
1. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
2. What does the long boat trip back to the village from Knight's inlet offer Mark the opportunity to do?
3. Why is T. P. Wallace throwing a dance-potlatch for Jim?
4. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
5. How does Mark Brian help the villagers solve their problem with the burial grounds?
6. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
7. Why does Keetah return to the village without Gordon?
8. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
9. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
10. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the novel, including Mark Brian, believe in service and community. Choose three characters that embody these ideas in Craven's novel, and write an essay in which you describe the characters' actions and traits, connecting each to the motifs of service and community.
Essay Topic 2
If "Trouble brings experience, and experience brings wisdom, " are any of the characters in Craven's novel considered wise? Write an essay in which you explore the wisdom, or lack thereof, of any character in Craven's novel, using examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Images and suggestions of snakes appear at various points in the novel. Consider the traditional connotations of snakes, and write an essay in which you discuss the significance of snakes to the events and theme of Craven's novel.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)