|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returns, Mark visits
2. Marta's prayer for Mark
3. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
4. The passage at the end of the novel means
5. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Keetah return to the village without Gordon?
2. In what state does Mark find the village when he returns?
3. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
4. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
5. How does Mark Brian help the villagers solve their problem with the burial grounds?
6. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
7. Why does Mark conclude that the villagers still do not know or trust him?
8. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
9. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
10. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of cooperation and obedience in the novel. How do cooperation and obedience affect the characters of the novel? Write an essay in which you discuss the roles of cooperation and obedience in Mark Brian's life, or in the lives of the villagers.
Essay Topic 2
The motif of decay appears throughout Craven's novel. How does this motif contribute to her message? Write an essay in which you explore the motif of decay and its relevance to Craven's message, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
If "Trouble brings experience, and experience brings wisdom, " are any of the characters in Craven's novel considered wise? Write an essay in which you explore the wisdom, or lack thereof, of any character in Craven's novel, using examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)