|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
2. The Bishop hopes Mark's time in the village has taught him
3. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
4. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
5. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The motif of decay appears throughout Craven's novel. How does this motif contribute to her message? Write an essay in which you explore the motif of decay and its relevance to Craven's message, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Henry Miller said, "Every man has his own destiny: the only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him." Consider the roles of fate and destiny in Craven's novel. Then write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Miller's statement, using Mark Brian's journey in the novel as support for your argument. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Mark Brian's struggles with both the living and the inanimate in the novel. Write an essay in which you chronicle his relationship with the living and the inanimate, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)