|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
2. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
3. Who orchestrates the boys' housing and schooling arrangements?
4. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
5. The woman Keetah had lived with at school
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of cooperation and obedience in the novel. How do cooperation and obedience affect the characters of the novel? Write an essay in which you discuss the roles of cooperation and obedience in Mark Brian's life, or in the lives of the villagers.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in the novel, including Mark Brian, believe in service and community. Choose three characters that embody these ideas in Craven's novel, and write an essay in which you describe the characters' actions and traits, connecting each to the motifs of service and community.
Essay Topic 3
Images and suggestions of snakes appear at various points in the novel. Consider the traditional connotations of snakes, and write an essay in which you discuss the significance of snakes to the events and theme of Craven's novel.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)