Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
2. Who is Tagoona?
3. How old is Jim Wallace?
4. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
5. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the vicarage.
2. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
3. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
4. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
5. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
6. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
7. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
8. Who speaks at the funeral after Mark Brian is done?
9. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
10. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
Essay Topic 1
Images and suggestions of snakes appear at various points in the novel. Consider the traditional connotations of snakes, and write an essay in which you discuss the significance of snakes to the events and theme of Craven's novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motifs of questions, answers, and prayers in the novel. If "...no prayer's unanswered and no prayer unheard," write an essay in which you determine the significance of questions, answers, or prayers for the characters in the novel. Be sure to examine the role of these motifs in creating the author's message.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Mark Brian's struggles with both the living and the inanimate in the novel. Write an essay in which you chronicle his relationship with the living and the inanimate, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)