|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Families gather at the end of the salmon run to
2. What observation does T. P. Wallace make about Mark Brian?
3. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
4. Why doesn't the young man know about his illness?
5. Mark Brian succeeds where the doctor failed to
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
2. What does the behavior of the young people symbolize for people like Peter?
3. What does the Bishop's letter teach Mark Brian about the white man's "problem" with the Indians?
4. According to the myth, how was the old village formed?
5. What does Mark Brian learn about rules or obedience throughout the chapter?
6. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
7. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
8. How does Mrs. Hudson feel about the arrival of the new vicar?
9. What causes Gordon's family to sell the tribal mask that has been in their family for so long?
10. According to the Bishop, how does an Indian feel about his village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of age and wisdom, and youth and inexperience in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify Craven's theme regarding either age and wisdom or youth and inexperience, using at least three textual examples for support.
Essay Topic 2
Consider what the vicar learns about nature during his stay with the villagers. How does nature teach Mark Brian about life and death? Write an essay in which you use examples of nature mentioned in the novel to explore Mark Brian's development throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
T. S. Eliot said, "Those who trust us educate us." Considering Mark Brian's experiences with the community of Kingcome, defend, refute, or qualify Eliot's quote in an essay, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)