Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
2. Who is Tagoona?
3. How old is Jim Wallace?
4. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
5. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the vicarage.
2. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
3. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
4. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
5. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
6. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
7. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
8. Who speaks at the funeral after Mark Brian is done?
9. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
10. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
Changing seasons are mentioned frequently in Craven's novel. Consider how the seasons reflect Craven's message in any one of the four parts of her novel, or in her novel as a whole, and write an essay in which you explore the changing and their contribution to theme.
Consider the motifs of questions, answers, and prayers in the novel. If "...no prayer's unanswered and no prayer unheard," write an essay in which you determine the significance of questions, answers, or prayers for the characters in the novel. Be sure to examine the role of these motifs in creating the author's message.
Consider the role of myths and legends in the novel. Write an essay in which you explain how the myths and legends affect events and/or characters in the novel, and use at least three examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)