|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mark Brian sees the tribe approaching the church single file, he is reminded of
2. Why doesn't the young man know about his illness?
3. Which of Constable Pearson's actions makes the Indians hold in their laughter?
4. Before he travels to the village, Mark Brian
5. When the men deliver the organ to the church
Short Essay Questions
1. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
2. What does Mark Brian learn about rules or obedience throughout the chapter?
3. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
4. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
5. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
6. Why is Marta Stephens knitting a hat for the vicar?
7. What happened to the RCMP when he tried to take pictures of the tribe members fishing?
8. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
9. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
10. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Mark Brian's many experiences on the river in the novel. What might the river represent for the vicar and the villagers? Write an essay in which you explore the connotations of the river and its contribution to Craven's message in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motifs of age and wisdom, and youth and inexperience in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify Craven's theme regarding either age and wisdom or youth and inexperience, using at least three textual examples for support.
Essay Topic 3
What significance do the eagle and owl have to Craven's story? How might each serve as a symbol? Write an essay in which you explore the symbolic meaning of one or both birds, citing specific examples from the text.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)