|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark finds himself tending for an orphaned
2. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
3. What news arrives from Keetah's sister, Mrs. Hudson's granddaughter?
4. With his new winter hat on, the new vicar looks like
5. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
2. Why does Mark agree to help Gordon get an education?
3. What information does Mark learn from the RCMP about Keetah's sister?
4. What happened to the RCMP when he tried to take pictures of the tribe members fishing?
5. Describe the Bishop's intentions for the young ordinand.
6. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
7. Why does Mark Brian refuse the Bishop's offer to send a new vicarage?
8. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
9. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
10. Describe the character of Constable Pearson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of cooperation and obedience in the novel. How do cooperation and obedience affect the characters of the novel? Write an essay in which you discuss the roles of cooperation and obedience in Mark Brian's life, or in the lives of the villagers.
Essay Topic 2
William Somerset Maugham said, "Tradition is a guide and not a jailer." For which characters in the book does tradition serve as a guide? For whom is it a jailer? Write an essay in which you consider Maugham's quote in relation to any character or characters in Craven's novel. Use specific examples from the text to connect Maugham's quote to Craven's message.
Essay Topic 3
T. S. Eliot said, "Those who trust us educate us." Considering Mark Brian's experiences with the community of Kingcome, defend, refute, or qualify Eliot's quote in an essay, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)