Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
2. Who is Tagoona?
3. How old is Jim Wallace?
4. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
5. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the vicarage.
2. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
3. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
4. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
5. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
6. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
7. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
8. Who speaks at the funeral after Mark Brian is done?
9. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
10. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
If "Trouble brings experience, and experience brings wisdom, " are any of the characters in Craven's novel considered wise? Write an essay in which you explore the wisdom, or lack thereof, of any character in Craven's novel, using examples from the text to support your ideas.
Consider Mark Brian's struggles with both the living and the inanimate in the novel. Write an essay in which you chronicle his relationship with the living and the inanimate, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Changing seasons are mentioned frequently in Craven's novel. Consider how the seasons reflect Craven's message in any one of the four parts of her novel, or in her novel as a whole, and write an essay in which you explore the changing and their contribution to theme.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)