|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark asks Jim to show him
2. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
3. The Bishop will not reveal the young man's illness yet because he fears
4. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
5. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
2. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
3. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
4. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
5. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
6. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
7. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
8. Why does Mark Brian refuse the Bishop's offer to send a new vicarage?
9. What advice does Mark offer Gordon before they part?
10. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the novel, including Mark Brian, believe in service and community. Choose three characters that embody these ideas in Craven's novel, and write an essay in which you describe the characters' actions and traits, connecting each to the motifs of service and community.
Essay Topic 2
The motif of decay appears throughout Craven's novel. How does this motif contribute to her message? Write an essay in which you explore the motif of decay and its relevance to Craven's message, using specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Much of Mark Brian's discoveries in the novel are revealed through his own thoughts and inner monologue. Write an essay in which you evaluate the author's use of inner monologue to reveal the character of Mark Brian.
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)