|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) The elders refuse to consider change.
(b) He has changed too much.
(c) The village has changed too much.
(d) The village demands him to change.
2. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
(a) Calamity Bill.
(c) The white tourists.
(d) The Bishop.
3. What does Mark Brian's sister feel when she sees him for the first time in months?
(a) Concern over his changing lifestyle.
(b) Concern over his chosen profession.
(c) Concern for his health.
(d) Concern for his faith.
4. Where does Mark Brian stay while the new vicarage is being constructed?
(a) At the Bishop's house.
(b) At Marta's house.
(c) At Keetah's house.
(d) At the old vicarage.
5. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
(b) A group of clergymen.
(c) A group of southern Californian tourists.
(d) A group of tourists from Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
2. Who waits up for Mark at the end of the novel?
3. Who orchestrates the boys' housing and schooling arrangements?
4. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
5. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
2. What does the long boat trip back to the village from Knight's inlet offer Mark the opportunity to do?
3. How does Mark Brian help the villagers solve their problem with the burial grounds?
4. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
5. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
6. What advice does Mark offer Gordon before they part?
7. Why does Keetah ask Mark to remain in the village?
8. Why does Keetah return to the village without Gordon?
9. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
10. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)