|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The rain and mud slide at the start of Chapter 13 signal an example of
2. What does Mark Brian's sister feel when she sees him for the first time in months?
(a) Concern over his chosen profession.
(b) Concern over his changing lifestyle.
(c) Concern for his faith.
(d) Concern for his health.
3. What is causing new conflict among the villagers?
(a) The ability to travel to other villages.
(b) The ability to marry outside the tribe.
(c) The ability to buy liquor.
(d) The ability to buy prescription drugs.
4. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
(a) He has promised Gordon he will help him get out of the village.
(b) He has promised Gordon's mother to help him get an education.
(c) He has promised Jim to urge Gordon to go.
(d) He has promised Keetah he would not interfere.
5. What does Mark suggest the villagers do about the burial grounds?
(a) He suggests they ignore the problem.
(b) He suggests they start burying the boxes underground like whites do.
(c) He suggests they find a new burial ground and abandon the old one.
(d) He suggests they build a mass grave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the hospital ship come for the dying man?
2. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
3. Why does the Bishop come back to the village?
4. The elders stay away when Gordon visits because
5. Where does Mark Brian stay while the new vicarage is being constructed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
2. Why are the elders afraid of the hamatsa?
3. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
4. Why does Keetah ask Mark to remain in the village?
5. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
6. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
7. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
8. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
9. What advice does Mark offer Gordon before they part?
10. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)