|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) He has changed too much.
(b) The elders refuse to consider change.
(c) The village has changed too much.
(d) The village demands him to change.
2. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
(a) He has promised Gordon he will help him get out of the village.
(b) He has promised Jim to urge Gordon to go.
(c) He has promised Gordon's mother to help him get an education.
(d) He has promised Keetah he would not interfere.
3. Mark compares Caleb's role among the Indians to that of
(a) The Salmon man.
(b) The Hamatsa.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The Cedar man.
4. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
(a) The Bishop.
(c) The white tourists.
(d) Calamity Bill.
5. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to know its place.
(b) Seemed to know he did not belong.
(c) Seemed to sense his illness.
(d) Seemed to sense his presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
2. Mark discovers the man has
3. Keetah wants to bear Gordon's child so that
4. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
5. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
2. What does the long boat trip back to the village from Knight's inlet offer Mark the opportunity to do?
3. Why are the elders afraid of the hamatsa?
4. Why does Mark conclude that the villagers still do not know or trust him?
5. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
6. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
7. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
8. How does Mark Brian help the villagers solve their problem with the burial grounds?
9. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
10. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)