|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hudson suggest they serve at Mark's funeral?
(b) Mashed potatoes.
(d) Mashed turnips.
2. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
(c) Calamity Bill.
3. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) The elders refuse to consider change.
(b) The village has changed too much.
(c) The village demands him to change.
(d) He has changed too much.
4. What does Mark suggest the villagers do about the burial grounds?
(a) He suggests they start burying the boxes underground like whites do.
(b) He suggests they build a mass grave.
(c) He suggests they find a new burial ground and abandon the old one.
(d) He suggests they ignore the problem.
5. According to Jim, Keetah does not say goodbye to anything in the village because
(a) She never wants to see it again.
(b) She is too distraught to think clearly.
(c) She knows she will come back to it.
(d) She knows it does not matter to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
2. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
4. Why doesn't the hospital ship come for the dying man?
5. Where does Mark Brian stay while the new vicarage is being constructed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the long boat trip back to the village from Knight's inlet offer Mark the opportunity to do?
2. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
3. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
4. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
5. In what state does Mark find the village when he returns?
6. Why are the elders afraid of the hamatsa?
7. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
8. Why does Keetah return to the village without Gordon?
9. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
10. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)