|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
2. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
(a) He hears Calamity Bill whisper goodbye.
(b) He hears to raven call his name.
(c) He hears his prayers echo back to him across the channel.
(d) He hears the Bishop call his name.
3. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) The village has changed too much.
(b) The village demands him to change.
(c) The elders refuse to consider change.
(d) He has changed too much.
4. Mark compares Caleb's role among the Indians to that of
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The Cedar man.
(c) The Hamatsa.
(d) The Salmon man.
5. What does Mark suggest the villagers do about the burial grounds?
(a) He suggests they build a mass grave.
(b) He suggests they start burying the boxes underground like whites do.
(c) He suggests they find a new burial ground and abandon the old one.
(d) He suggests they ignore the problem.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returns, Mark visits
2. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. Caleb warns Mark that
4. What tree has been a great "friend" to the Indians?
5. Mark advises Jim to
Short Essay Questions
1. Though the river freezes, how do the villagers survive?
2. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
3. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
4. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
5. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
6. In what state does Mark find the village when he returns?
7. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
8. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
9. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
10. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)