|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is causing new conflict among the villagers?
(a) The ability to buy prescription drugs.
(b) The ability to marry outside the tribe.
(c) The ability to buy liquor.
(d) The ability to travel to other villages.
2. Marta's prayer for Mark
(a) Echoes the prayers Mark taught her.
(b) Echoes the prayer of a mother for her child.
(c) Echoes the prayer of a woman for her lover.
(d) Echoes the prayer of an Indian for a white man.
3. What is Jim's response to Keetah's state of health?
(a) He says she will not raise the child herself.
(b) He says a child is always a reminder of past mistakes.
(c) He says a child is always welcome.
(d) He says no child of Gordon's will ever be his.
4. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
(b) The village has changed, but she has not.
(c) She is no longer welcome in the village.
(d) She has changed, but the village has not.
5. What tree has been a great "friend" to the Indians?
(a) The cedar tree.
(b) The pine tree.
(c) The oak tree.
(d) The elm tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
2. What does Mark Brian try to prepare the school boys for?
3. Who travels up the river with Mark and the Bishop?
4. Who orchestrates the boys' housing and schooling arrangements?
5. Caleb felt himself an intruder when visiting
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
2. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
3. Why does Mark conclude that the villagers still do not know or trust him?
4. Though the river freezes, how do the villagers survive?
5. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
6. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
7. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
8. How does Mark Brian help the villagers solve their problem with the burial grounds?
9. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
10. What advice does Mark offer Gordon before they part?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)