|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His friends.
(b) His wife.
(c) His family.
(d) His faith.
2. According to Jim, Keetah does not say goodbye to anything in the village because
(a) She knows she will come back to it.
(b) She is too distraught to think clearly.
(c) She never wants to see it again.
(d) She knows it does not matter to her.
3. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
(b) Chief Eddy.
4. When Keetah does not come to see him, Mark decides
(a) He may not really know the Indians at all.
(b) She might not want to see him again.
(c) He may have mistaken the reason for her return.
(d) He might be in love with her.
5. When he returns, Mark visits
(a) Marta's house.
(b) The burial grounds.
(c) The vicarage.
(d) Keetah's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ironically, Sam's drinking causes
2. On the river, Mark stops to help
3. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
4. What news does the Bishop give Mark at the end of the chapter?
5. What does Mark Brian try to prepare the school boys for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
2. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
3. Why is T. P. Wallace throwing a dance-potlatch for Jim?
4. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
5. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
6. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
7. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
8. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
9. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
10. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)