|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
(a) The white tourists.
(b) The Bishop.
(d) Calamity Bill.
2. On behalf of Calamity Bill, Mark Brian refuses
(a) The offer of a suit for his burial.
(b) The offer of a ride from the hospital boat.
(c) The offer of help cremating the body.
(d) The offer of a coffin the loggers built.
3. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His faith.
(b) His family.
(c) His friends.
(d) His wife.
4. What is Jim's response to Keetah's state of health?
(a) He says a child is always a reminder of past mistakes.
(b) He says a child is always welcome.
(c) He says no child of Gordon's will ever be his.
(d) He says she will not raise the child herself.
5. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to sense his illness.
(b) Seemed to know its place.
(c) Seemed to know he did not belong.
(d) Seemed to sense his presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark suggest the villagers do about the burial grounds?
2. The passage at the end of the novel means
3. Who waits up for Mark at the end of the novel?
4. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
5. When Keetah does not come to see him, Mark decides
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
2. Why are the elders afraid of the hamatsa?
3. Why does Keetah ask Mark to remain in the village?
4. Why does Keetah return to the village without Gordon?
5. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
6. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
7. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
8. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
9. Why is T. P. Wallace throwing a dance-potlatch for Jim?
10. Why does Mark conclude that the villagers still do not know or trust him?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)