|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Bishop come back to the village?
(a) To confer with Marta and Peter.
(b) To attend Jim and Keetah's wedding.
(c) To attend the potlatch.
(d) To determine whether Mark had served the Indians well.
2. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She has changed, but the village has not.
(b) She is no longer welcome in the village.
(c) The village has changed, but she has not.
(d) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
3. What does Mark suggest the villagers do about the burial grounds?
(a) He suggests they build a mass grave.
(b) He suggests they find a new burial ground and abandon the old one.
(c) He suggests they ignore the problem.
(d) He suggests they start burying the boxes underground like whites do.
4. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A group of clergymen.
(b) A group of southern Californian tourists.
(c) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
(d) A group of tourists from Texas.
5. The rain and mud slide at the start of Chapter 13 signal an example of
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
2. Mark advises Jim to
3. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
4. In March, what burden is lifted from the villagers?
5. Mark discovers the man has
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Keetah ask Mark to remain in the village?
2. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
3. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
4. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
5. Why is T. P. Wallace throwing a dance-potlatch for Jim?
6. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
7. What advice does Mark offer Gordon before they part?
8. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
9. Though the river freezes, how do the villagers survive?
10. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)