|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
(a) Mrs. Hudson's.
(b) Chief Eddy's.
(c) T.P. Wallace's.
2. Caleb warns Mark that
(a) Soon the villagers will leave for the outside world.
(b) Soon the outside world will intrude upon the village and the tribe.
(c) Soon the villagers will ask him to leave.
(d) Soon the outside world will forget the village.
3. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A group of southern Californian tourists.
(b) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
(c) A group of tourists from Texas.
(d) A group of clergymen.
4. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
(a) He has promised Gordon's mother to help him get an education.
(b) He has promised Gordon he will help him get out of the village.
(c) He has promised Jim to urge Gordon to go.
(d) He has promised Keetah he would not interfere.
5. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His wife.
(b) His friends.
(c) His faith.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mark the myth of the hamatsa?
2. The elders stay away when Gordon visits because
3. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
4. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
5. When he returns, Mark visits
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
2. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
3. In what state does Mark find the village when he returns?
4. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
5. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
6. Why are the elders afraid of the hamatsa?
7. Why does Mark conclude that the villagers still do not know or trust him?
8. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
9. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
10. Why is T. P. Wallace throwing a dance-potlatch for Jim?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)