|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he returns, Mark visits
(a) Marta's house.
(b) The burial grounds.
(c) Keetah's family.
(d) The vicarage.
2. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
(a) The elders want to talk to him about Jim.
(b) The elders want to talk to him about his health.
(c) The elders want to talk to him about the cemetery.
(d) The elders want to talk to him about the vicarage.
3. The woman Keetah had lived with at school
(a) Was afraid of her and treated her badly.
(b) Was supportive and caring.
(c) Gave her every chance to prove herself in the white world.
(d) Denied her food and lodging when she arrived.
4. The passage at the end of the novel means
(a) That is all.
(b) God Bless.
(c) The End.
(d) Thank you.
5. The elders stay away when Gordon visits because
(a) He has no interest in the past.
(b) He plans to ask the tribe for money for his travels.
(c) He plans to call for change among the villagers.
(d) He has no interest in any of the villagers.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Bishop hopes Mark's time in the village has taught him
2. What does Mark Brian's sister feel when she sees him for the first time in months?
3. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
4. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
5. Why are the elders concerned about the burial grounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
2. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
3. What advice does Mark offer Gordon before they part?
4. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
5. In what state does Mark find the village when he returns?
6. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
7. Though the river freezes, how do the villagers survive?
8. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
9. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
10. How does Mark Brian help the villagers solve their problem with the burial grounds?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)