|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The elders now believe
(a) Their dead can rest in peace.
(b) A new graveyard is necessary.
(c) Mark Brian truly understands their ways.
(d) Their dead will reward Mark Brian.
2. The dying man asks Mark Brian to
(a) Contact all his friends and relatives.
(b) Deliver a fine eulogy for him.
(c) Obtain a fine suit for his burial.
(d) Spread his ashes in a certain place.
3. What is Mark's chief concern for the Indians while he is away from the village?
(a) That Sam will hurt someone.
(b) That the Bishop will arrive and find him missing.
(c) That he does not belong there anymore.
(d) That liquor will destroy them.
4. When Keetah returns, it is because
(a) She chooses to return to the village.
(b) She cannot find Gordon.
(c) She has been defeated by the white world.
(d) She has to ask for help from Gordon's relatives.
5. On the river, Mark stops to help
(a) Two fishermen bringing in their catch.
(b) Two loggers moving a float camp.
(c) Two loggers hauling a load of lumber.
(d) Two tourists stranded on their yacht.
Short Answer Questions
1. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
2. According to Jim, Keetah does not say goodbye to anything in the village because
3. What does Mark Brian's sister feel when she sees him for the first time in months?
4. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
5. Why doesn't the hospital ship come for the dying man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mark conclude that the villagers still do not know or trust him?
2. Though the river freezes, how do the villagers survive?
3. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
4. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
5. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
6. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
7. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
8. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
9. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
10. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)