|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark compares Caleb's role among the Indians to that of
(a) The Salmon man.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Cedar man.
(d) The Hamatsa.
2. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
(a) He has promised Gordon he will help him get out of the village.
(b) He has promised Gordon's mother to help him get an education.
(c) He has promised Jim to urge Gordon to go.
(d) He has promised Keetah he would not interfere.
3. Marta's prayer for Mark
(a) Echoes the prayer of a woman for her lover.
(b) Echoes the prayer of a mother for her child.
(c) Echoes the prayers Mark taught her.
(d) Echoes the prayer of an Indian for a white man.
4. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
(a) He hears his prayers echo back to him across the channel.
(b) He hears to raven call his name.
(c) He hears the Bishop call his name.
(d) He hears Calamity Bill whisper goodbye.
5. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
(b) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
(c) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
(d) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
2. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
3. What does Mark suggest the villagers do about the burial grounds?
4. Who tells Mark the myth of the hamatsa?
5. The passage at the end of the novel means
Short Essay Questions
1. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
2. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
3. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
4. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
5. Though the river freezes, how do the villagers survive?
6. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
7. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
8. In what state does Mark find the village when he returns?
9. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
10. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)