|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
(a) Mark Brian will tell the man to write the Bishop for money.
(b) Mark Brian will tell the man to seek employment in another town.
(c) Mark Brian will tell the man he should not have sinned by drinking liquor.
(d) Mark Brian will tell the man to fish and hunt to feed his family.
2. Caleb warns Mark that
(a) Soon the villagers will leave for the outside world.
(b) Soon the outside world will intrude upon the village and the tribe.
(c) Soon the villagers will ask him to leave.
(d) Soon the outside world will forget the village.
3. On the river, Mark stops to help
(a) Two tourists stranded on their yacht.
(b) Two loggers moving a float camp.
(c) Two fishermen bringing in their catch.
(d) Two loggers hauling a load of lumber.
4. What does Mark Brian try to prepare the school boys for?
(a) Living among strangers.
(b) Living in white society.
(c) Living in the Indian world.
(d) Living with women.
5. Who alerts the Bishop to Mark's physical condition?
(c) Mrs. Hudson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
2. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
3. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
4. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
5. During his stay, Mark gets to know
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
2. Why are the elders afraid of the hamatsa?
3. Why is T. P. Wallace throwing a dance-potlatch for Jim?
4. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
5. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
6. Why does Peter sit up waiting for the vicar after his funeral?
7. Why does Mark conclude that the villagers still do not know or trust him?
8. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
9. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
10. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)