|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jim, Keetah does not say goodbye to anything in the village because
(a) She knows it does not matter to her.
(b) She knows she will come back to it.
(c) She never wants to see it again.
(d) She is too distraught to think clearly.
2. What does Mark Brian's sister feel when she sees him for the first time in months?
(a) Concern for his health.
(b) Concern over his changing lifestyle.
(c) Concern over his chosen profession.
(d) Concern for his faith.
3. Why are the elders concerned about the burial grounds?
(a) Many coffins have fallen from the trees and bones lie on the ground.
(b) The Indians keep getting drunk and passing out there.
(c) The coffins are overcrowding the villagers' homes.
(d) The white tourists have located it and insist on visiting.
4. Who waits up for Mark at the end of the novel?
5. What is Jim's response to Keetah's state of health?
(a) He says a child is always a reminder of past mistakes.
(b) He says no child of Gordon's will ever be his.
(c) He says a child is always welcome.
(d) He says she will not raise the child herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jim and Mark are out on the boat
2. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
3. Marta's prayer for Mark
4. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
5. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the elders afraid of the hamatsa?
2. What does the long boat trip back to the village from Knight's inlet offer Mark the opportunity to do?
3. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
4. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
5. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
6. Why does Keetah return to the village without Gordon?
7. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
8. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
9. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
10. Describe Calamity Bill's request for the vicar.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)