|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
(a) Chief Eddy's.
(c) T.P. Wallace's.
(d) Mrs. Hudson's.
2. During his stay, Mark gets to know
(a) The village elders.
(b) The tribal songs and myths.
(c) The Bishop's friends.
(d) The laws concerning the villagers.
3. Caleb felt himself an intruder when visiting
(a) The vicarage.
(b) Indians' homes.
(c) The boat.
(d) Deserted villages.
4. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
(a) A white man.
(b) A cannibal.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A cedar tree.
5. Why doesn't the hospital ship come for the dying man?
(a) It is only for the use of white people.
(b) It is nearby, but the river is so high and rough the ship cannot travel.
(c) It is too far away and busy caring for the Indians.
(d) It is too far away and the straits are too rough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
2. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
3. When he returns, Mark visits
4. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
5. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who contributes to the preparations for Mark's funeral?
2. What does the Bishop claim happens every time he arrives at the village?
3. Who is the Englishwoman who comes to visit the village?
4. What evidence of community is apparent in the chapter?
5. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
6. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
7. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
8. Why is T. P. Wallace throwing a dance-potlatch for Jim?
9. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
10. Though the river freezes, how do the villagers survive?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)