|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
(a) That Peter is the only white teacher.
(b) That Peter lives in the vicarage.
(c) That Peter is the village carver.
(d) That Peter lives in the cemetery.
2. What new feeling is Mark experiencing in the village?
(a) A feeling of dissertion.
(b) A feeling of dissent.
(c) A feeling of hopelessness.
(d) A feeling of outrage.
3. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He has suffered with them.
(b) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
(c) He has proven worthy of them.
(d) He has promised to help them in return.
4. How do the Indians respond to Mark Brian's attempts to learn their language?
(a) They are amused and mock him openly.
(b) They are unimpressed by his efforts.
(c) They are amused and indulgent.
(d) They are offended.
5. What arrived at the village in November?
(a) The navy ship.
(b) The hospital ship.
(c) The army ship.
(d) The government ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Keetah's family leaving the tribe to live in a deserted village?
2. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
3. What does the doctor hope the Bishop will do for the young man?
4. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
5. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
2. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
3. Why is Marta Stephens knitting a hat for the vicar?
4. Describe Caleb's attitude toward the Indian people of the village.
5. Describe the character of Constable Pearson.
6. Describe the setting of the novel.
7. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
8. What happened to the RCMP when he tried to take pictures of the tribe members fishing?
9. What does Mark Brian learn about rules or obedience throughout the chapter?
10. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)