|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tagoona?
(a) Tagoona is the mythical brother who settled the tribe.
(b) Tagoona is the first white priest to live among the Eskimos.
(c) Tagoona is a storm that symbolizes difficult times for the Indians.
(d) Tagoona is an Eskimo who becomes an ordained priest.
2. Why did the white teacher choose to come to the village?
(a) The isolation pay allowed him to travel to Greece.
(b) The isolation pay allowed him to get married.
(c) The isolation pay allowed him to travel to Italy.
(d) The isolation pay allowed him to buy a nice car.
3. What is true of both the swimmer and Mark Brian?
(a) They are both kinds of fish.
(b) They are both outcasts of society.
(c) They are both unclear about their purpose.
(d) They are both doomed to complete their task and die.
4. What does the doctor hope the Bishop will do for the young man?
(a) He hopes the Bishop will train the young man well.
(b) He hopes the Bishop will nurse the young man to health.
(c) He hopes the Bishop will warn the young man of his condition.
(d) He hopes the Bishop will pray for the young man.
5. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) The formal use of the word "we."
(b) Shaking hands.
(c) Speaking Kwakwala.
(d) The formal use of the word "you."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Indian woman wailing outside the vicarage?
2. Mark discovers he has no talent for
3. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
4. Why aren't the local deer afraid of guns?
5. Who are Mark Brian's first friends in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Bishop's intentions for the young ordinand.
2. Describe the salmon run the men witness.
3. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
4. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
5. What happened to the RCMP when he tried to take pictures of the tribe members fishing?
6. Describe Caleb's attitude toward the Indian people of the village.
7. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
8. Describe Sam, the unlucky one.
9. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
10. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)