|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim plan to get drunk after the funeral?
(a) Because he feels responsible for the boy's death.
(b) Because the dead boy was his relative.
(c) Because he does not like the new vicar.
(d) Because the Indians are dying out.
2. Jim is concerned about Keetah because
(a) She is still engaged to Gordon.
(b) She is worried about her sister.
(c) She is very sick
(d) She is pregnant
3. What relationship did Mark Brian observe in the hunters of the tribe?
(a) The brotherly relationship.
(b) The warrior-to-warrior relationship.
(c) The father-son relationship.
(d) The boss-laborer relationship.
4. Why is Mark Brian going to Alert Bay?
(a) H wants to see if he can get Keetah away from her white fiance.
(b) He wants to see if he can get Ellie away from her parents.
(c) He wants to visit Gordon and the boys.
(d) He is going to visit his sister.
5. Why is Jim convinced Keetah will marry him?
(a) Because he is the only unmarried young man in the village.
(b) Because he is Catholic like she is.
(c) Because she is clearly in love with him.
(d) Because he knows Gordon will not stay in the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark Brian succeeds where the doctor failed to
2. When Mark Brian feels his full commitment to the Indian community, his response is
3. In the painting of Christ,
4. Jim describes his people through several
5. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
2. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
3. Why does Keetah ask Mark to remain in the village?
4. Why does Jim believe Keetah would be happier with him than with Gordon?
5. Describe Caleb's attitude toward the Indian people of the village.
6. What does the behavior of the young people symbolize for people like Peter?
7. Why is Jim interested in the prayer Mark Brian recites?
8. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
9. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
10. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)