|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark returns to the vicarage and to the smell of
2. Families gather at the end of the salmon run to
(a) Celebrate the death of the salmon.
(b) Retell myths and smoke fish.
(c) Hold the salmon festival.
(d) Discuss tribal business.
3. What does Mark Brian promise the dying woman?
(a) He will help her daughter find a husband.
(b) He will help her son get an education.
(c) He will help her granddaughters get married.
(d) He will help her find her way back to the tribe.
4. Why did the white teacher choose to come to the village?
(a) The isolation pay allowed him to travel to Italy.
(b) The isolation pay allowed him to travel to Greece.
(c) The isolation pay allowed him to get married.
(d) The isolation pay allowed him to buy a nice car.
5. What new feeling is Mark experiencing in the village?
(a) A feeling of outrage.
(b) A feeling of dissertion.
(c) A feeling of hopelessness.
(d) A feeling of dissent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is dumped into the the center of the stream by the villagers?
2. Before he travels to the village, Mark Brian
3. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
4. What news arrives from Keetah's sister, Mrs. Hudson's granddaughter?
5. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
2. Describe the character of Constable Pearson.
3. What causes Gordon's family to sell the tribal mask that has been in their family for so long?
4. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
5. While Mark feels he has learned little about the Indians, what does the Bishop tell him?
6. Who speaks at the funeral after Mark Brian is done?
7. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
8. What does the behavior of the young people symbolize for people like Peter?
9. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
10. What changes develop in Mark and Jim's relationship while on the hunt?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)