|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Keetah's family leaving the tribe to live in a deserted village?
(a) They are going to find a better life after selling a tribal mask.
(b) They are going to start their own tribe and traditions.
(c) They are ashamed that a drunken family member sold a tribal mask.
(d) They are ashamed that a family member will marry a white man.
2. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
(a) She has white hair.
(b) She has gnarled hands.
(c) She has a wrinkled face.
(d) She has a toothless smile.
3. What is true of both the swimmer and Mark Brian?
(a) They are both outcasts of society.
(b) They are both kinds of fish.
(c) They are both unclear about their purpose.
(d) They are both doomed to complete their task and die.
4. Who has offered Mark Brian a great deal of advice and training?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The Archbishop of Canterbury.
(c) Caleb, the old canon.
5. Who invited Mark to go hunting?
(a) Marta Stephens.
(b) Chief Eddy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Indian name of the village where Mark Brian is sent?
2. What observation does T. P. Wallace make about Mark Brian?
3. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
4. Jim describes his people through several
5. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jim interested in the prayer Mark Brian recites?
2. Describe the setting of the novel.
3. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
4. What seems to be most important to the Bishop regarding the young man and the Indian village?
5. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
6. What information does Mark learn from the RCMP about Keetah's sister?
7. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
8. What happened to the RCMP when he tried to take pictures of the tribe members fishing?
9. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
10. What makes hunting difficult for Mark Brian?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)