|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(b) Gordon's relatives.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Jim's relatives.
2. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) Speaking Kwakwala.
(b) The formal use of the word "we."
(c) The formal use of the word "you."
(d) Shaking hands.
3. How old is Jim Wallace?
4. Who has offered Mark Brian a great deal of advice and training?
(b) Caleb, the old canon.
(c) The Archbishop of Canterbury.
(d) The Bishop.
5. Mark discovers he has no talent for
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim is concerned about Keetah because
2. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
3. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
4. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
5. Whose return to the village has sparked Mark's interest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark Brian learn about rules or obedience throughout the chapter?
2. Why does Mark agree to help Gordon get an education?
3. What seems to be most important to the Bishop regarding the young man and the Indian village?
4. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
5. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
6. Describe the salmon run the men witness.
7. What causes Gordon's family to sell the tribal mask that has been in their family for so long?
8. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
9. What does the behavior of the young people symbolize for people like Peter?
10. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)