|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is dumped into the the center of the stream by the villagers?
(c) Animal carcasses.
(d) Offerings to the gods.
2. Who is T.P. Wallace?
(a) The elder and orator of the tribe.
(b) Jim Wallace's wife.
(c) The new constable.
(d) The chief of the tribe.
3. What do Jim and Mark witness on the river?
(a) They witness a lunar eclipse.
(b) They witness dolphins swimming to the ocean.
(c) They witness a run of salmon.
(d) They witness a murder.
4. Mark Brian will have to work closely with an agent from
(a) The Indian Affairs Department.
(b) The Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The Internal Revenue Service.
(d) The Archbishop of Canterbury.
5. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
(a) She had heard stories from her elders.
(b) She had heard the Bishop tell stories of him.
(c) She had seen pictures of him in the vicarage.
(d) She knew the man as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Bishop will not reveal the young man's illness yet because he fears
2. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
3. What causes Mark and all the young people to rush on to the path?
4. Jim is concerned about Keetah because
5. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes hunting difficult for Mark Brian?
2. Describe the setting of the novel.
3. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
4. Why is Jim interested in the prayer Mark Brian recites?
5. According to the Bishop, how does an Indian feel about his village?
6. Describe Caleb's attitude toward the Indian people of the village.
7. What information does Mark learn from the RCMP about Keetah's sister?
8. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
9. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
10. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)