|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark Brian believes that if a man were to vanish from this area
(a) He would become a ghost like the Indians.
(b) He would have to leave a trail for others to find him.
(c) He would never find his way home.
(d) He would leave no trace of himself behind.
2. In Kwakwala, there is no word for
(a) Good morning.
(c) Thank You.
3. Who is Tagoona?
(a) Tagoona is a storm that symbolizes difficult times for the Indians.
(b) Tagoona is the first white priest to live among the Eskimos.
(c) Tagoona is the mythical brother who settled the tribe.
(d) Tagoona is an Eskimo who becomes an ordained priest.
4. What arrived at the village in November?
(a) The government ship.
(b) The navy ship.
(c) The hospital ship.
(d) The army ship.
5. What season marks the start of Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Bishop plans to
2. When Mark Brian sees the tribe approaching the church single file, he is reminded of
3. Why is the Indian woman wailing outside the vicarage?
4. Jim is concerned about Keetah because
5. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
2. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
3. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
4. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
5. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
6. What changes develop in Mark and Jim's relationship while on the hunt?
7. Describe the salmon run the men witness.
8. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
9. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
10. Describe the setting of the novel.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)