|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
(a) He is an excellent swimmer.
(b) He has a twin sister.
(c) He loves fishing.
(d) He wants to keep moving up the river.
2. Why doesn't the young man know about his illness?
(a) The Bishop has not told him yet.
(b) The man does not speak the native's language.
(c) The villagers are trying to treat it.
(d) The doctor tries to cover it up.
3. Mark asks Jim to show him
(a) The end of the salmon run.
(b) The village salmon festival.
(c) The best place to fish for salmon.
(d) The end of the river.
4. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
(a) Trading for what he needs.
(b) Begging for what he needs.
(c) Outsmarting the Indians.
(d) Rolling up his shirtsleeves.
5. The chief teaches Mark Brian to say
(a) God bless you.
(c) Good Morning.
(d) How do you do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
2. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
3. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
4. Mark finds himself tending for an orphaned
5. Mark returns to the vicarage and to the smell of
Short Essay Questions
1. While Mark feels he has learned little about the Indians, what does the Bishop tell him?
2. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
3. How does Mrs. Hudson feel about the arrival of the new vicar?
4. What seems to be most important to the Bishop regarding the young man and the Indian village?
5. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
6. Describe the Bishop's intentions for the young ordinand.
7. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
8. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
9. Describe the state of the vicarage.
10. Describe the character of Constable Pearson.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)