|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
(a) He asks to leave the island instead.
(b) He gladly accepts the offer.
(c) He asks for a new church instead.
(d) He refuses the offer.
2. What does the vicar discover will take him many hours in a day?
(a) Staying alive, fed, and clean.
(b) Repairing the damage to the vicarage.
(c) Lighting the fire in the vicarage.
(d) Studying the Indians' language.
3. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
(a) Keetah and Marta.
(b) Sam and Ellie.
(c) Chief Eddy and Gordon.
(d) The teacher.
4. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
(a) He claims an older man would not wait ten days to come investigate a child's death.
(b) He claims the Indians always know who is coming before they arrive.
(c) He claims the RCMP officers are always young and hard.
(d) He claims the older man who last held the office was hard.
5. What relationship did Mark Brian observe in the hunters of the tribe?
(a) The boss-laborer relationship.
(b) The brotherly relationship.
(c) The father-son relationship.
(d) The warrior-to-warrior relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
2. In wintertime, how were the beliefs of the tribe relived?
3. How does Mark describe the inanimate?
4. Mark returns to the vicarage and to the smell of
5. What does the doctor hope the Bishop will do for the young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Mark learn from the RCMP about Keetah's sister?
2. What does Mark Brian learn about rules or obedience throughout the chapter?
3. What does the Bishop's letter teach Mark Brian about the white man's "problem" with the Indians?
4. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
5. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
6. Why does Jim believe Keetah would be happier with him than with Gordon?
7. Why does Mark Brian refuse the Bishop's offer to send a new vicarage?
8. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
9. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
10. Describe Caleb's attitude toward the Indian people of the village.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)