Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Indian woman wailing outside the vicarage?
(a) She is afraid of the new Indian Affairs agent.
(b) She is a professional mourner.
(c) She is afraid of Mark Brian.
(d) She claims to have seen ghosts.
2. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) What can you do to help us?
(b) Why have you betrayed us?
(c) Why should we forgive you?
(d) What have you done to us?
3. Jim describes his people through several
(a) Legends and stories.
(b) Lengthy historical discussions.
4. The oolachon is
(a) The salmon.
(b) The blue whale.
(c) The river otter.
(d) The candlefish.
5. What does Mark Brian discover about himself at the start of the chapter?
(a) He is not liked by the tribal women.
(b) He can understand Kwakwala.
(c) He still does not understand Kwakwala.
(d) He must work harder to force the Indians to trust him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship did Mark Brian observe in the hunters of the tribe?
2. How do the Indians respond to Mark Brian's attempts to learn their language?
3. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
4. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
5. The Bishop decides to send the young man to
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the salmon run the men witness.
2. What does the Bishop's letter teach Mark Brian about the white man's "problem" with the Indians?
3. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
4. What does Mark learn among the elders during his stay at Marta's?
5. Describe the visitors to the village in Chapter 13.
6. According to the Bishop, how does an Indian feel about his village?
7. Why does Keetah return to the village without Gordon?
8. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
9. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
10. Describe the state of the vicarage.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)