|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news arrives from Keetah's sister, Mrs. Hudson's granddaughter?
(a) Keetah's sister will marry a man f rom another tribe.
(b) Keetah's sister will not attend Keetah's wedding.
(c) Keetah's sister refuses to come home for Christmas.
(d) Keetah's sister will marry a white man.
2. What is true of both the swimmer and Mark Brian?
(a) They are both doomed to complete their task and die.
(b) They are both unclear about their purpose.
(c) They are both outcasts of society.
(d) They are both kinds of fish.
3. Mark discovers he has no talent for
4. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The young ordinand.
(c) The constable.
(d) The Archbishop.
5. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
(a) The depth of sadness.
(b) The answer to a riddle.
(c) His fear of dying.
(d) His hatred of the Indian people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
2. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
3. Families gather at the end of the salmon run to
4. Where is the novel set?
5. Why is Mark Brian going to Alert Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Gordon's family to sell the tribal mask that has been in their family for so long?
2. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
3. What makes hunting difficult for Mark Brian?
4. Describe the setting of the novel.
5. Describe Caleb's attitude toward the Indian people of the village.
6. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
7. Describe the character of Constable Pearson.
8. How do most of the Indians behave toward Mark Brian?
9. What is significant about the names of the characters revealed in the Introduction?
10. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)