|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark Brian sees himself as
(a) A fearless conqueror.
(b) A guest in the Indians' house.
(c) A brave explorer of a new world.
(d) An interloper on Indian territory.
2. Jim Wallace wants the vicar to know that he is
(a) Employed by the church.
(b) Not willing to be friends with a white man.
(c) The only Indian in the village who is not free.
(d) Free in the village.
3. The chief teaches Mark Brian to say
(b) Good Morning.
(c) How do you do.
(d) God bless you.
4. What does Mark Brian discover about himself at the start of the chapter?
(a) He must work harder to force the Indians to trust him.
(b) He can understand Kwakwala.
(c) He is not liked by the tribal women.
(d) He still does not understand Kwakwala.
5. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
(b) Many great rituals were lost.
(c) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
(d) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim describes his people through several
2. Why is Mark Brian going to Alert Bay?
3. The Bishop plans to send the young man to his hardest parish because
4. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
5. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Bishop's intentions for the young ordinand.
2. What makes hunting difficult for Mark Brian?
3. Describe the state of the vicarage.
4. Why is Marta Stephens knitting a hat for the vicar?
5. According to the Bishop, how does an Indian feel about his village?
6. Why does Mark Brian refuse the Bishop's offer to send a new vicarage?
7. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
8. Describe the character of Constable Pearson.
9. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
10. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)