|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jim and Mark witness on the river?
(a) They witness a murder.
(b) They witness a lunar eclipse.
(c) They witness a run of salmon.
(d) They witness dolphins swimming to the ocean.
2. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
(a) The constable.
(b) The boat.
(c) The organ.
(d) The doctor.
3. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
(b) Many great rituals were lost.
(c) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
(d) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
4. Which of Constable Pearson's actions makes the Indians hold in their laughter?
(a) He cannot find his way around the village.
(b) He is physically sick after he eats a meal with the tribe.
(c) He is physically sick at the sight of the dead body.
(d) He cannot find the dead body.
5. Why is the whole tribe home together for the first time since Mark's arrival in the village?
(a) Everyone has come home for Christmas.
(b) Everyone has come home for a funeral.
(c) Everyone has come home for Keetah's sister's wedding.
(d) Everyone has come home for Thanksgiving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season marks the start of Chapter 11?
2. Where is the novel set?
3. What new feeling is Mark experiencing in the village?
4. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
5. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
2. While Mark feels he has learned little about the Indians, what does the Bishop tell him?
3. How does Mrs. Hudson feel about the arrival of the new vicar?
4. According to the Bishop, how does an Indian feel about his village?
5. What seems to be most important to the Bishop regarding the young man and the Indian village?
6. Why does Mark Brian refuse the Bishop's offer to send a new vicarage?
7. Describe Caleb's attitude toward the Indian people of the village.
8. According to the myth, how was the old village formed?
9. What does the behavior of the young people symbolize for people like Peter?
10. What does the Bishop's letter teach Mark Brian about the white man's "problem" with the Indians?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)