|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The young ordinand.
(c) The constable.
(d) The Archbishop.
2. The Bishop plans to
(a) Tell the young man his illness is psychological.
(b) Tell the young man to be grateful for his health.
(c) Tell the young man he does not have any illnesses.
(d) Tell the young man about his illness eventually.
3. Who or what follows Jim and Mark back to the camp?
(a) The mate of Caleb.
(b) The mate of the bear the hunters killed.
(c) The mate of Chief Eddy.
(d) The mate of the wolf the hunters killed.
4. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
(a) He dies.
(b) He chooses a mate.
(c) He returns to the ocean.
(d) He waits for his eggs to hatch.
5. What small revenge does Mrs. Hudson have on the white man?
(a) She refuses to speak English to them.
(b) She knits them itchy hats.
(c) She serves them mashed turnips.
(d) She serves them wild goose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
2. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
3. Jim is concerned about Keetah because
4. Why did the white teacher choose to come to the village?
5. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
2. According to the myth, how was the old village formed?
3. What seems to be most important to the Bishop regarding the young man and the Indian village?
4. What changes develop in Mark and Jim's relationship while on the hunt?
5. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
6. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
7. Describe the Bishop's intentions for the young ordinand.
8. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
9. According to the Bishop, how does an Indian feel about his village?
10. Describe the character of Constable Pearson.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)