|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In wintertime, how were the beliefs of the tribe relived?
(a) The beliefs were relived through cave paintings.
(b) The beliefs were relived through ancient songs.
(c) The beliefs were relived through dances.
(d) The beliefs were relived through sweat lodges.
2. What new feeling is Mark experiencing in the village?
(a) A feeling of dissent.
(b) A feeling of hopelessness.
(c) A feeling of dissertion.
(d) A feeling of outrage.
3. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
(a) The young Constable.
(b) The young doctor.
(c) The young Bishop.
(d) The young ordinand.
4. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
(a) He refuses the offer.
(b) He asks to leave the island instead.
(c) He gladly accepts the offer.
(d) He asks for a new church instead.
5. What season marks the start of Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the novel set?
2. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
3. In Kwakwala, there is no word for
4. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
5. The Bishop plans to
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
2. What happened to the RCMP when he tried to take pictures of the tribe members fishing?
3. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
4. Why does Jim believe Keetah would be happier with him than with Gordon?
5. Why does Mark agree to help Gordon get an education?
6. What do the villagers believe about the salmon?
7. Describe the Bishop's intentions for the young ordinand.
8. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
9. Why is Jim interested in the prayer Mark Brian recites?
10. What causes Gordon's family to sell the tribal mask that has been in their family for so long?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)