|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal's image is carved above the Bible?
(a) The eagle.
(b) The lamb.
(c) The owl.
(d) The grizzly bear.
2. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
(a) He waits for his eggs to hatch.
(b) He dies.
(c) He returns to the ocean.
(d) He chooses a mate.
3. The Bishop decides to send the young man to
4. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
5. Before he travels to the village, Mark Brian
(a) Reconsiders his decision to live in the village.
(b) Writes letters to his family.
(c) Carefully tends to the boat.
(d) Suns himself while waiting for Jim to arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is T.P. Wallace?
2. What season marks the start of Chapter 11?
3. Whose return to the village has sparked Mark's interest?
4. What arrived at the village in November?
5. What is dumped into the the center of the stream by the villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the vicarage.
2. Describe Mark and Jim's relationship.
3. Why doesn't Marta deny that Mark has heard the owl call his name?
4. What does the long boat trip back to the village from Knight's inlet offer Mark the opportunity to do?
5. Who speaks at the funeral after Mark Brian is done?
6. Describe the setting of the novel.
7. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
8. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
9. What is the mood among the boys going to live at the white school?
10. Why does Mark agree to help Gordon get an education?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)