|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
(a) Rolling up his shirtsleeves.
(b) Trading for what he needs.
(c) Begging for what he needs.
(d) Outsmarting the Indians.
2. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) Why should we forgive you?
(b) What have you done to us?
(c) What can you do to help us?
(d) Why have you betrayed us?
3. Who invited Mark to go hunting?
(a) Chief Eddy.
(c) Marta Stephens.
4. Ellie is
(a) The young daughter of Peter, the poorest man in the village.
(b) The young daughter of Jim Wallace.
(c) The young daughter of Sam, the poorest man in the village.
(d) The young daughter of Sam, the white school teacher.
5. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
(a) Sam and Ellie.
(b) Chief Eddy and Gordon.
(c) Keetah and Marta.
(d) The teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the young man know about his illness?
2. Jim Wallace wants the vicar to know that he is
3. Where is the novel set?
4. When Mark Brian feels his full commitment to the Indian community, his response is
5. Why is Jim convinced Keetah will marry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Mark feels he has learned little about the Indians, what does the Bishop tell him?
2. Describe the setting of the novel.
3. What changes develop in Mark and Jim's relationship while on the hunt?
4. Describe Sam, the unlucky one.
5. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
6. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
7. Why does Mark Brian refuse the Bishop's offer to send a new vicarage?
8. How does Mrs. Hudson feel about the arrival of the new vicar?
9. What does the behavior of the young people symbolize for people like Peter?
10. Why does Jim believe Keetah would be happier with him than with Gordon?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)