|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
(b) Many great rituals were lost.
(c) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
(d) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
2. What is Mrs. Hudson's fear for her granddaughter, who is getting married?
(a) She fears the family will be ashamed of the granddaughter.
(b) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her tribe.
(c) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her family.
(d) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of herself.
3. Whose death does Mark Brian experience in Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Hudson.
(b) Keetah's sister.
(d) Gordon's mother.
4. What observation does T. P. Wallace make about Mark Brian?
(a) He did not seem to understand the accepted customs.
(b) He constantly said "we" when he meant "I."
(c) He was encouraging the Indian sons to leave the tribe.
(d) He respected the Indians' customs.
5. What small revenge does Mrs. Hudson have on the white man?
(a) She refuses to speak English to them.
(b) She knits them itchy hats.
(c) She serves them wild goose.
(d) She serves them mashed turnips.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why aren't the local deer afraid of guns?
2. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
3. Families gather at the end of the salmon run to
4. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
5. The Bishop plans to
Short Essay Questions
1. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
2. What recurring idea or image appears as the author describes the state of the village and the graveyard?
3. What seems to be the consensus of opinions about Mark Brian among the elders?
4. Why does Mark agree to help Gordon get an education?
5. What does the Bishop's letter teach Mark Brian about the white man's "problem" with the Indians?
6. What makes hunting difficult for Mark Brian?
7. What changes develop in Mark and Jim's relationship while on the hunt?
8. What limitations does the ordinand's illness place on him?
9. Why do the villagers offer to help Mark build the vicarage?
10. What seems to be most important to the Bishop regarding the young man and the Indian village?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)