|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jim convinced Keetah will marry him?
(a) Because she is clearly in love with him.
(b) Because he is the only unmarried young man in the village.
(c) Because he knows Gordon will not stay in the village.
(d) Because he is Catholic like she is.
2. Mark returns to the vicarage and to the smell of
3. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
4. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) Speaking Kwakwala.
(b) The formal use of the word "we."
(c) The formal use of the word "you."
(d) Shaking hands.
5. What is Mrs. Hudson's fear for her granddaughter, who is getting married?
(a) She fears the family will be ashamed of the granddaughter.
(b) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her tribe.
(c) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her family.
(d) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark Brian promise the dying woman?
2. Who did Constable Pearson bring with him to the village?
3. The Bishop reveals that Kingcome is
4. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
5. With his new winter hat on, the new vicar looks like
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the behavior of the young people symbolize for people like Peter?
2. Why does Mark Brian refuse the Bishop's offer to send a new vicarage?
3. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
4. Who comes to the vicar's first Sunday service?
5. What is the significance of Gordon's mask to the tribe?
6. Describe the salmon run the men witness.
7. What does the Bishop's letter teach Mark Brian about the white man's "problem" with the Indians?
8. Why is Jim interested in the prayer Mark Brian recites?
9. Who speaks at the funeral after Mark Brian is done?
10. What does Mark Brian learn about rules or obedience throughout the chapter?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)