|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Indians respond to Mark Brian's attempts to learn their language?
(a) They are offended.
(b) They are amused and mock him openly.
(c) They are unimpressed by his efforts.
(d) They are amused and indulgent.
2. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
3. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
(a) She has a toothless smile.
(b) She has gnarled hands.
(c) She has a wrinkled face.
(d) She has white hair.
4. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
(a) That Peter is the village carver.
(b) That Peter lives in the vicarage.
(c) That Peter lives in the cemetery.
(d) That Peter is the only white teacher.
5. Why didn't the hunters discuss their plans aloud?
(a) The animal spirits would hear, and the game would hide.
(b) The women of the tribe would try to hunt the game first.
(c) The animal spirits would conspire to harm the hunters.
(d) The warrior spirits would try to trick the game into hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tagoona?
2. Though cautious, Jim
3. What relationship did Mark Brian observe in the hunters of the tribe?
4. How does Mark describe the inanimate?
5. Whose death does Mark Brian experience in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Bishop's letter teach Mark Brian about the white man's "problem" with the Indians?
2. Describe the state of the vicarage.
3. According to the Bishop, how does an Indian feel about his village?
4. What concern does Caleb share with Mark in the chapter?
5. How is Caleb like the Cedar-man, according to Mark?
6. What does the long boat trip back to the village from Knight's inlet offer Mark the opportunity to do?
7. Describe the setting of the novel.
8. What happened to the RCMP when he tried to take pictures of the tribe members fishing?
9. Why does Mark claim he is offering Jim advice on how to treat Keetah?
10. What did mothers of deceased children tell them as part of the old tradition?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)