|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mark Brian's sister feel when she sees him for the first time in months?
(a) Concern for his faith.
(b) Concern for his health.
(c) Concern over his chosen profession.
(d) Concern over his changing lifestyle.
2. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
(b) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
(c) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
(d) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
3. According to Jim, Keetah does not say goodbye to anything in the village because
(a) She never wants to see it again.
(b) She is too distraught to think clearly.
(c) She knows she will come back to it.
(d) She knows it does not matter to her.
4. What is causing new conflict among the villagers?
(a) The ability to travel to other villages.
(b) The ability to buy liquor.
(c) The ability to buy prescription drugs.
(d) The ability to marry outside the tribe.
5. Who tells Mark the myth of the hamatsa?
(c) Mrs. Hudson.
6. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
7. Why are the elders concerned about the burial grounds?
(a) Many coffins have fallen from the trees and bones lie on the ground.
(b) The white tourists have located it and insist on visiting.
(c) The coffins are overcrowding the villagers' homes.
(d) The Indians keep getting drunk and passing out there.
8. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His friends.
(b) His wife.
(c) His faith.
(d) His family.
9. While Jim and Mark are out on the boat
(a) A landslide occurs.
(b) A hurricane occurs.
(c) An earthquake occurs.
(d) A tornado occurs.
10. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
(a) Mrs. Hudson's.
(c) T.P. Wallace's.
(d) Chief Eddy's.
11. Why does the Bishop come back to the village?
(a) To determine whether Mark had served the Indians well.
(b) To attend Jim and Keetah's wedding.
(c) To attend the potlatch.
(d) To confer with Marta and Peter.
12. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
13. Caleb warns Mark that
(a) Soon the outside world will intrude upon the village and the tribe.
(b) Soon the villagers will leave for the outside world.
(c) Soon the villagers will ask him to leave.
(d) Soon the outside world will forget the village.
14. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
(a) His life has had meaning.
(b) His impending departure.
(c) His time in the village is over.
(d) His impending death.
15. What is Mark's chief concern for the Indians while he is away from the village?
(a) That Sam will hurt someone.
(b) That liquor will destroy them.
(c) That the Bishop will arrive and find him missing.
(d) That he does not belong there anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the hospital ship come for the dying man?
2. The dying man asks Mark Brian to
3. The elders now believe
4. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
5. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)