|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Bishop hopes Mark's time in the village has taught him
(a) Enough of the meaning of life to be ready to die.
(b) The difference between whites and Indians.
(c) The cold indifference of nature.
(d) To appreciate the good things life has offered him.
2. The rain and mud slide at the start of Chapter 13 signal an example of
3. Why does the Bishop come back to the village?
(a) To attend the potlatch.
(b) To determine whether Mark had served the Indians well.
(c) To attend Jim and Keetah's wedding.
(d) To confer with Marta and Peter.
4. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
(b) A group of clergymen.
(c) A group of tourists from Texas.
(d) A group of southern Californian tourists.
5. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His family.
(b) His friends.
(c) His faith.
(d) His wife.
6. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to sense his presence.
(b) Seemed to know its place.
(c) Seemed to know he did not belong.
(d) Seemed to sense his illness.
7. Marta's prayer for Mark
(a) Echoes the prayers Mark taught her.
(b) Echoes the prayer of an Indian for a white man.
(c) Echoes the prayer of a woman for her lover.
(d) Echoes the prayer of a mother for her child.
8. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
9. During his stay, Mark gets to know
(a) The village elders.
(b) The Bishop's friends.
(c) The tribal songs and myths.
(d) The laws concerning the villagers.
10. Who alerts the Bishop to Mark's physical condition?
(d) Mrs. Hudson.
11. What favor does Keetah ask from Mark on behalf of the villagers?
(a) She asks him to perform her marriage to Jim.
(b) She asks him to help her find Gordon again.
(c) She asks him to stay until he dies.
(d) She asks him to bring the Bishop back.
12. Why doesn't the hospital ship come for the dying man?
(a) It is too far away and busy caring for the Indians.
(b) It is too far away and the straits are too rough.
(c) It is nearby, but the river is so high and rough the ship cannot travel.
(d) It is only for the use of white people.
13. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
(a) If he shows he cares, the Indians will tease him.
(b) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and suffer.
(c) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and die with the villagers.
(d) If he shows he cares, he will have to help with the funera.
14. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The fish do not come.
(b) A landslide occurs.
(c) The river freezes.
(d) The river overflows.
15. In March, what burden is lifted from the villagers?
(a) The burden of winter.
(b) The burden of liquor.
(c) The burden of Sam.
(d) The burden of the white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Traveling in the river, Mark begins to
2. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
3. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
4. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
5. Caleb warns Mark that
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)