|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In March, what burden is lifted from the villagers?
(a) The burden of Sam.
(b) The burden of liquor.
(c) The burden of the white man.
(d) The burden of winter.
2. During his stay, Mark gets to know
(a) The Bishop's friends.
(b) The laws concerning the villagers.
(c) The village elders.
(d) The tribal songs and myths.
3. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
(a) In August the mosquitos came and illness would follow.
(b) In August the rains began and liquor would be legal for Indians.
(c) In August Mark Brian would leave and the Bishop would arrive.
(d) In August Keetah and Gordon would be married and they would leave the village.
4. What did the villagers do to celebrate this "friend?"
(a) They turned it into a mask.
(b) They turned it into a shrine.
(c) They turned it into a dance.
(d) They turned it into a myth.
5. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
(a) Calamity Bill.
6. What does Mrs. Hudson suggest they serve at Mark's funeral?
(c) Mashed turnips.
(d) Mashed potatoes.
7. Marta's prayer for Mark
(a) Echoes the prayer of a woman for her lover.
(b) Echoes the prayer of an Indian for a white man.
(c) Echoes the prayers Mark taught her.
(d) Echoes the prayer of a mother for her child.
8. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
9. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
(a) Another reason to trust the Bishop.
(b) Another passage way, or a way out.
(c) A reason to return to the village.
(d) The chance to go home again.
10. Ironically, Sam's drinking causes
(a) HIs wife to insist that their daughter go to school.
(b) His wife to insist that he attend Alcholics Anonymous.
(c) His wife to leave him for another man.
(d) His wife to insist that their son go to school.
11. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
12. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
(a) A white man.
(b) A cannibal.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A cedar tree.
13. Who waits up for Mark at the end of the novel?
14. What does Mark Brian try to prepare the school boys for?
(a) Living in the Indian world.
(b) Living among strangers.
(c) Living with women.
(d) Living in white society.
15. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) A landslide occurs.
(b) The river overflows.
(c) The fish do not come.
(d) The river freezes.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Bishop hopes Mark's time in the village has taught him
2. What favor does Keetah ask from Mark on behalf of the villagers?
3. What is causing new conflict among the villagers?
4. Caleb warns Mark that
5. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)