|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Caleb warns Mark that
(a) Soon the outside world will intrude upon the village and the tribe.
(b) Soon the outside world will forget the village.
(c) Soon the villagers will ask him to leave.
(d) Soon the villagers will leave for the outside world.
2. Mark compares Caleb's role among the Indians to that of
(a) The Cedar man.
(b) The Hamatsa.
(c) The Salmon man.
(d) The Bishop.
3. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
(a) Only the tribe members can hear the owl.
(b) Yes, my son.
(c) No, you must be mistaken.
(d) Not yet, my son.
4. What does Mark Brian try to prepare the school boys for?
(a) Living in white society.
(b) Living with women.
(c) Living in the Indian world.
(d) Living among strangers.
5. Ironically, Sam's drinking causes
(a) His wife to insist that their son go to school.
(b) His wife to insist that he attend Alcholics Anonymous.
(c) His wife to leave him for another man.
(d) HIs wife to insist that their daughter go to school.
6. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
7. The elders now believe
(a) A new graveyard is necessary.
(b) Their dead can rest in peace.
(c) Their dead will reward Mark Brian.
(d) Mark Brian truly understands their ways.
8. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
9. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to sense his presence.
(b) Seemed to know he did not belong.
(c) Seemed to sense his illness.
(d) Seemed to know its place.
10. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
(a) In August Keetah and Gordon would be married and they would leave the village.
(b) In August the rains began and liquor would be legal for Indians.
(c) In August Mark Brian would leave and the Bishop would arrive.
(d) In August the mosquitos came and illness would follow.
11. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The fish do not come.
(b) The river overflows.
(c) A landslide occurs.
(d) The river freezes.
12. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
(a) He has promised Gordon's mother to help him get an education.
(b) He has promised Jim to urge Gordon to go.
(c) He has promised Keetah he would not interfere.
(d) He has promised Gordon he will help him get out of the village.
13. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
(c) Calamity Bill.
14. Traveling in the river, Mark begins to
(a) Consider moving to the village permanently.
(b) Consider the wisdom of his work.
(c) Consider leaving the faith.
(d) Consider the question of his health.
15. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) He has changed too much.
(b) The village has changed too much.
(c) The elders refuse to consider change.
(d) The village demands him to change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
2. Keetah wants to bear Gordon's child so that
3. On the river, Mark stops to help
4. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
5. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)