|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Keetah wants to bear Gordon's child so that
(a) She can hold on to some part of him.
(b) HIs line will continue to live in the village, though he will not.
(c) He will be forced to marry her against his will.
(d) She can punish JIm for his past behavior.
2. When Keetah returns, it is because
(a) She cannot find Gordon.
(b) She chooses to return to the village.
(c) She has been defeated by the white world.
(d) She has to ask for help from Gordon's relatives.
3. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
(a) In August the rains began and liquor would be legal for Indians.
(b) In August the mosquitos came and illness would follow.
(c) In August Mark Brian would leave and the Bishop would arrive.
(d) In August Keetah and Gordon would be married and they would leave the village.
4. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) He has changed too much.
(b) The elders refuse to consider change.
(c) The village demands him to change.
(d) The village has changed too much.
5. Caleb warns Mark that
(a) Soon the outside world will intrude upon the village and the tribe.
(b) Soon the outside world will forget the village.
(c) Soon the villagers will ask him to leave.
(d) Soon the villagers will leave for the outside world.
6. Who waits up for Mark at the end of the novel?
7. Mark advises Jim to
(a) Treat Keetah as a partner in their marriage.
(b) Treak Keetah as he always has.
(c) Treat Keetah as he does the elders.
(d) Treat Keetah as a traditional wife.
8. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) A landslide occurs.
(b) The river freezes.
(c) The fish do not come.
(d) The river overflows.
9. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to sense his illness.
(b) Seemed to sense his presence.
(c) Seemed to know its place.
(d) Seemed to know he did not belong.
10. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
11. Traveling in the river, Mark begins to
(a) Consider moving to the village permanently.
(b) Consider leaving the faith.
(c) Consider the question of his health.
(d) Consider the wisdom of his work.
12. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
(a) His impending departure.
(b) His impending death.
(c) His time in the village is over.
(d) His life has had meaning.
13. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
(a) He hears to raven call his name.
(b) He hears the Bishop call his name.
(c) He hears Calamity Bill whisper goodbye.
(d) He hears his prayers echo back to him across the channel.
14. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A group of southern Californian tourists.
(b) A group of clergymen.
(c) A group of tourists from Texas.
(d) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
15. When Keetah does not come to see him, Mark decides
(a) She might not want to see him again.
(b) He may not really know the Indians at all.
(c) He might be in love with her.
(d) He may have mistaken the reason for her return.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
2. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
3. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
4. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
5. On the river, Mark stops to help
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)