|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
(a) Chief Eddy.
2. Who travels up the river with Mark and the Bishop?
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) Calamity Bill.
(d) A drunken villager.
3. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
(a) If he shows he cares, he will have to help with the funera.
(b) If he shows he cares, the Indians will tease him.
(c) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and die with the villagers.
(d) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and suffer.
4. Who waits up for Mark at the end of the novel?
5. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
(a) Mrs. Hudson's.
(c) T.P. Wallace's.
(d) Chief Eddy's.
6. Marta's prayer for Mark
(a) Echoes the prayer of an Indian for a white man.
(b) Echoes the prayer of a mother for her child.
(c) Echoes the prayers Mark taught her.
(d) Echoes the prayer of a woman for her lover.
7. Why are the elders concerned about the burial grounds?
(a) The Indians keep getting drunk and passing out there.
(b) The coffins are overcrowding the villagers' homes.
(c) The white tourists have located it and insist on visiting.
(d) Many coffins have fallen from the trees and bones lie on the ground.
8. Who tells Mark the myth of the hamatsa?
(a) Mrs. Hudson.
9. The rain and mud slide at the start of Chapter 13 signal an example of
10. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
(b) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
(c) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
(d) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
11. On behalf of Calamity Bill, Mark Brian refuses
(a) The offer of a ride from the hospital boat.
(b) The offer of a suit for his burial.
(c) The offer of help cremating the body.
(d) The offer of a coffin the loggers built.
12. What is Jim's response to Keetah's state of health?
(a) He says a child is always welcome.
(b) He says she will not raise the child herself.
(c) He says a child is always a reminder of past mistakes.
(d) He says no child of Gordon's will ever be his.
13. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
14. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
(a) Because a drunk, young logger has asked them for help.
(b) Because they are lost at sea.
(c) Because they are fishing.
(d) Because a drunk, young logger is lost at sea.
15. Traveling in the river, Mark begins to
(a) Consider moving to the village permanently.
(b) Consider the wisdom of his work.
(c) Consider the question of his health.
(d) Consider leaving the faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
2. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
3. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
5. Who orchestrates the boys' housing and schooling arrangements?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)