|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is causing new conflict among the villagers?
(a) The ability to travel to other villages.
(b) The ability to buy liquor.
(c) The ability to buy prescription drugs.
(d) The ability to marry outside the tribe.
2. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His friends.
(b) His family.
(c) His faith.
(d) His wife.
3. Keetah wants to bear Gordon's child so that
(a) He will be forced to marry her against his will.
(b) She can punish JIm for his past behavior.
(c) She can hold on to some part of him.
(d) HIs line will continue to live in the village, though he will not.
4. Why are the elders concerned about the burial grounds?
(a) The white tourists have located it and insist on visiting.
(b) The coffins are overcrowding the villagers' homes.
(c) Many coffins have fallen from the trees and bones lie on the ground.
(d) The Indians keep getting drunk and passing out there.
5. Why doesn't the hospital ship come for the dying man?
(a) It is only for the use of white people.
(b) It is nearby, but the river is so high and rough the ship cannot travel.
(c) It is too far away and the straits are too rough.
(d) It is too far away and busy caring for the Indians.
6. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
(b) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
(c) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
(d) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
7. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
(b) Calamity Bill.
8. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) The village has changed, but she has not.
(b) She has changed, but the village has not.
(c) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
(d) She is no longer welcome in the village.
9. What news does the Bishop give Mark at the end of the chapter?
(a) Mark's work in the village is not yet done.
(b) The Bishop will seek replacement for Mark, and Mark will leave the village.
(c) The Bishop will ask Mark to stay on in the village though he is ill.
(d) The Bishop has been disappointed in Mark's work, so he must leave the village.
10. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
(a) Because a drunk, young logger has asked them for help.
(b) Because they are fishing.
(c) Because they are lost at sea.
(d) Because a drunk, young logger is lost at sea.
11. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
(a) The chance to go home again.
(b) Another passage way, or a way out.
(c) Another reason to trust the Bishop.
(d) A reason to return to the village.
12. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
(a) Only the tribe members can hear the owl.
(b) Not yet, my son.
(c) No, you must be mistaken.
(d) Yes, my son.
13. The rain and mud slide at the start of Chapter 13 signal an example of
14. During his stay, Mark gets to know
(a) The village elders.
(b) The Bishop's friends.
(c) The tribal songs and myths.
(d) The laws concerning the villagers.
15. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) A landslide occurs.
(b) The river freezes.
(c) The river overflows.
(d) The fish do not come.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
2. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
3. Traveling in the river, Mark begins to
4. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
5. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)