|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) The elders refuse to consider change.
(b) The village demands him to change.
(c) The village has changed too much.
(d) He has changed too much.
2. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
(a) His time in the village is over.
(b) His impending departure.
(c) His impending death.
(d) His life has had meaning.
3. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She has changed, but the village has not.
(b) The village has changed, but she has not.
(c) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
(d) She is no longer welcome in the village.
4. During his stay, Mark gets to know
(a) The tribal songs and myths.
(b) The Bishop's friends.
(c) The village elders.
(d) The laws concerning the villagers.
5. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A group of tourists from Texas.
(b) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
(c) A group of clergymen.
(d) A group of southern Californian tourists.
6. What tree has been a great "friend" to the Indians?
(a) The pine tree.
(b) The elm tree.
(c) The oak tree.
(d) The cedar tree.
7. Who orchestrates the boys' housing and schooling arrangements?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The RCMP.
(d) Mark's sister.
8. Who is found ill, alone in his shack?
(d) Calamity Bill.
9. Mark discovers the man has
(a) A broken hip.
(b) A broken collarbone.
(c) A broken back.
(d) A broken leg.
10. The dying man asks Mark Brian to
(a) Deliver a fine eulogy for him.
(b) Spread his ashes in a certain place.
(c) Contact all his friends and relatives.
(d) Obtain a fine suit for his burial.
11. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
12. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
(a) In August Mark Brian would leave and the Bishop would arrive.
(b) In August the mosquitos came and illness would follow.
(c) In August Keetah and Gordon would be married and they would leave the village.
(d) In August the rains began and liquor would be legal for Indians.
13. What does Mark Brian try to prepare the school boys for?
(a) Living among strangers.
(b) Living in white society.
(c) Living with women.
(d) Living in the Indian world.
14. What news does the Bishop give Mark at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Bishop will ask Mark to stay on in the village though he is ill.
(b) The Bishop will seek replacement for Mark, and Mark will leave the village.
(c) Mark's work in the village is not yet done.
(d) The Bishop has been disappointed in Mark's work, so he must leave the village.
15. Mark compares Caleb's role among the Indians to that of
(a) The Salmon man.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Hamatsa.
(d) The Cedar man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returns, Mark visits
2. Ironically, Sam's drinking causes
3. Who travels up the river with Mark and the Bishop?
4. What is Mark's chief concern for the Indians while he is away from the village?
5. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)