|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
2. What did the villagers do to celebrate this "friend?"
(a) They turned it into a dance.
(b) They turned it into a myth.
(c) They turned it into a mask.
(d) They turned it into a shrine.
3. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She has changed, but the village has not.
(b) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
(c) She is no longer welcome in the village.
(d) The village has changed, but she has not.
4. On the river, Mark stops to help
(a) Two fishermen bringing in their catch.
(b) Two loggers moving a float camp.
(c) Two tourists stranded on their yacht.
(d) Two loggers hauling a load of lumber.
5. What does Mrs. Hudson suggest they serve at Mark's funeral?
(a) Mashed potatoes.
(b) Mashed turnips.
6. Who alerts the Bishop to Mark's physical condition?
(a) Mrs. Hudson.
7. When Keetah does not come to see him, Mark decides
(a) He might be in love with her.
(b) He may not really know the Indians at all.
(c) She might not want to see him again.
(d) He may have mistaken the reason for her return.
8. What is causing new conflict among the villagers?
(a) The ability to marry outside the tribe.
(b) The ability to travel to other villages.
(c) The ability to buy liquor.
(d) The ability to buy prescription drugs.
9. On behalf of Calamity Bill, Mark Brian refuses
(a) The offer of a suit for his burial.
(b) The offer of a ride from the hospital boat.
(c) The offer of a coffin the loggers built.
(d) The offer of help cremating the body.
10. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
(a) Mark Brian will tell the man to fish and hunt to feed his family.
(b) Mark Brian will tell the man to seek employment in another town.
(c) Mark Brian will tell the man to write the Bishop for money.
(d) Mark Brian will tell the man he should not have sinned by drinking liquor.
11. The elders now believe
(a) Their dead can rest in peace.
(b) A new graveyard is necessary.
(c) Their dead will reward Mark Brian.
(d) Mark Brian truly understands their ways.
12. While Jim and Mark are out on the boat
(a) A hurricane occurs.
(b) A tornado occurs.
(c) An earthquake occurs.
(d) A landslide occurs.
13. The elders stay away when Gordon visits because
(a) He has no interest in the past.
(b) He plans to call for change among the villagers.
(c) He plans to ask the tribe for money for his travels.
(d) He has no interest in any of the villagers.
14. The rain and mud slide at the start of Chapter 13 signal an example of
15. The dying man asks Mark Brian to
(a) Obtain a fine suit for his burial.
(b) Contact all his friends and relatives.
(c) Spread his ashes in a certain place.
(d) Deliver a fine eulogy for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
2. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
3. Who travels up the river with Mark and the Bishop?
4. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
5. What is Mark's chief concern for the Indians while he is away from the village?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)