|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
(b) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
(c) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
(d) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
2. The visitors cause Mark Brian to feel what about the world of the white man he has left behind?
(a) He feels he must go back and save it.
(b) He feels he never belonged in it.
(c) He feels he no longer knows it, and is ashamed of it now.
(d) He feels he has abandoned his people by leaving it.
3. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
(a) The elders want to talk to him about the vicarage.
(b) The elders want to talk to him about the cemetery.
(c) The elders want to talk to him about his health.
(d) The elders want to talk to him about Jim.
4. Ironically, Sam's drinking causes
(a) HIs wife to insist that their daughter go to school.
(b) His wife to leave him for another man.
(c) His wife to insist that he attend Alcholics Anonymous.
(d) His wife to insist that their son go to school.
5. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
(a) Chief Eddy.
6. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) The village has changed, but she has not.
(b) She has changed, but the village has not.
(c) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
(d) She is no longer welcome in the village.
7. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
(a) He hears to raven call his name.
(b) He hears Calamity Bill whisper goodbye.
(c) He hears the Bishop call his name.
(d) He hears his prayers echo back to him across the channel.
8. The dying man asks Mark Brian to
(a) Deliver a fine eulogy for him.
(b) Contact all his friends and relatives.
(c) Obtain a fine suit for his burial.
(d) Spread his ashes in a certain place.
9. What is Mark's chief concern for the Indians while he is away from the village?
(a) That the Bishop will arrive and find him missing.
(b) That Sam will hurt someone.
(c) That liquor will destroy them.
(d) That he does not belong there anymore.
10. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
11. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
(a) Because a drunk, young logger has asked them for help.
(b) Because they are lost at sea.
(c) Because they are fishing.
(d) Because a drunk, young logger is lost at sea.
12. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
(a) If he shows he cares, the Indians will tease him.
(b) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and die with the villagers.
(c) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and suffer.
(d) If he shows he cares, he will have to help with the funera.
13. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His family.
(b) His wife.
(c) His faith.
(d) His friends.
14. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to know he did not belong.
(b) Seemed to sense his presence.
(c) Seemed to sense his illness.
(d) Seemed to know its place.
15. Keetah wants to bear Gordon's child so that
(a) He will be forced to marry her against his will.
(b) She can hold on to some part of him.
(c) HIs line will continue to live in the village, though he will not.
(d) She can punish JIm for his past behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returns, Mark visits
2. In March, what burden is lifted from the villagers?
3. The elders now believe
4. The Bishop hopes Mark's time in the village has taught him
5. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)