|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
(a) Because they are lost at sea.
(b) Because a drunk, young logger is lost at sea.
(c) Because they are fishing.
(d) Because a drunk, young logger has asked them for help.
2. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His friends.
(b) His wife.
(c) His faith.
(d) His family.
3. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
(b) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
(c) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
(d) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
4. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
(b) She is no longer welcome in the village.
(c) She has changed, but the village has not.
(d) The village has changed, but she has not.
5. Mark Brian dies when
(a) His illness overwhelms him.
(b) A tornado destroys his boat.
(c) A landslide destroys his boat.
(d) A crash destroys his boat.
6. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
(a) Mark Brian will tell the man to fish and hunt to feed his family.
(b) Mark Brian will tell the man to write the Bishop for money.
(c) Mark Brian will tell the man he should not have sinned by drinking liquor.
(d) Mark Brian will tell the man to seek employment in another town.
7. Who orchestrates the boys' housing and schooling arrangements?
(a) The RCMP.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) Mark's sister.
8. When Keetah returns, it is because
(a) She has been defeated by the white world.
(b) She chooses to return to the village.
(c) She cannot find Gordon.
(d) She has to ask for help from Gordon's relatives.
9. Who travels up the river with Mark and the Bishop?
(a) A drunken villager.
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) Calamity Bill.
10. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
(a) He hears the Bishop call his name.
(b) He hears his prayers echo back to him across the channel.
(c) He hears to raven call his name.
(d) He hears Calamity Bill whisper goodbye.
11. The Bishop hopes Mark's time in the village has taught him
(a) To appreciate the good things life has offered him.
(b) The cold indifference of nature.
(c) Enough of the meaning of life to be ready to die.
(d) The difference between whites and Indians.
12. While Jim and Mark are out on the boat
(a) An earthquake occurs.
(b) A hurricane occurs.
(c) A tornado occurs.
(d) A landslide occurs.
13. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
(a) Only the tribe members can hear the owl.
(b) Not yet, my son.
(c) Yes, my son.
(d) No, you must be mistaken.
14. Mark compares Caleb's role among the Indians to that of
(a) The Salmon man.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Cedar man.
(d) The Hamatsa.
15. When Keetah does not come to see him, Mark decides
(a) He might be in love with her.
(b) He may not really know the Indians at all.
(c) He may have mistaken the reason for her return.
(d) She might not want to see him again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who alerts the Bishop to Mark's physical condition?
2. Marta's prayer for Mark
3. During his stay, Mark gets to know
4. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
5. Caleb felt himself an intruder when visiting
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)