|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
(a) His impending departure.
(b) His time in the village is over.
(c) His impending death.
(d) His life has had meaning.
2. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The river freezes.
(b) The fish do not come.
(c) The river overflows.
(d) A landslide occurs.
3. Caleb felt himself an intruder when visiting
(a) The boat.
(b) Deserted villages.
(c) The vicarage.
(d) Indians' homes.
4. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
(a) He has promised Gordon he will help him get out of the village.
(b) He has promised Gordon's mother to help him get an education.
(c) He has promised Keetah he would not interfere.
(d) He has promised Jim to urge Gordon to go.
5. When Keetah returns, it is because
(a) She has to ask for help from Gordon's relatives.
(b) She has been defeated by the white world.
(c) She cannot find Gordon.
(d) She chooses to return to the village.
6. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
(a) Another passage way, or a way out.
(b) The chance to go home again.
(c) A reason to return to the village.
(d) Another reason to trust the Bishop.
7. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
(c) Chief Eddy.
8. Who orchestrates the boys' housing and schooling arrangements?
(a) The RCMP.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) Mark's sister.
9. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She has changed, but the village has not.
(b) She is no longer welcome in the village.
(c) The village has changed, but she has not.
(d) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
10. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
(b) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
(c) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
(d) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
11. What tree has been a great "friend" to the Indians?
(a) The cedar tree.
(b) The oak tree.
(c) The elm tree.
(d) The pine tree.
12. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
(a) In August Mark Brian would leave and the Bishop would arrive.
(b) In August the rains began and liquor would be legal for Indians.
(c) In August the mosquitos came and illness would follow.
(d) In August Keetah and Gordon would be married and they would leave the village.
13. Gordon claims he cannot come "home" again because
(a) The village demands him to change.
(b) The elders refuse to consider change.
(c) He has changed too much.
(d) The village has changed too much.
14. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
15. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
(a) If he shows he cares, the Indians will tease him.
(b) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and die with the villagers.
(c) If he shows he cares, he will have to help with the funera.
(d) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and suffer.
Short Answer Questions
1. The passage at the end of the novel means
2. Mark Brian dies when
3. Caleb warns Mark that
4. The elders stay away when Gordon visits because
5. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)