|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does Keetah ask from Mark on behalf of the villagers?
(a) She asks him to perform her marriage to Jim.
(b) She asks him to bring the Bishop back.
(c) She asks him to help her find Gordon again.
(d) She asks him to stay until he dies.
2. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A group of tourists from Texas.
(b) A group of clergymen.
(c) A group of southern Californian tourists.
(d) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
3. What is causing new conflict among the villagers?
(a) The ability to buy prescription drugs.
(b) The ability to buy liquor.
(c) The ability to marry outside the tribe.
(d) The ability to travel to other villages.
4. When Keetah returns, it is because
(a) She chooses to return to the village.
(b) She cannot find Gordon.
(c) She has been defeated by the white world.
(d) She has to ask for help from Gordon's relatives.
5. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
(a) Mark Brian will tell the man to write the Bishop for money.
(b) Mark Brian will tell the man to seek employment in another town.
(c) Mark Brian will tell the man to fish and hunt to feed his family.
(d) Mark Brian will tell the man he should not have sinned by drinking liquor.
6. Mark advises Jim to
(a) Treak Keetah as he always has.
(b) Treat Keetah as a partner in their marriage.
(c) Treat Keetah as he does the elders.
(d) Treat Keetah as a traditional wife.
7. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The river overflows.
(b) The fish do not come.
(c) A landslide occurs.
(d) The river freezes.
8. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
(b) The white tourists.
(c) Calamity Bill.
(d) The Bishop.
9. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She is no longer welcome in the village.
(b) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
(c) She has changed, but the village has not.
(d) The village has changed, but she has not.
10. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
(a) If he shows he cares, the Indians will tease him.
(b) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and die with the villagers.
(c) If he shows he cares, he will have to help with the funera.
(d) If he shows he cares, he will have to live and suffer.
11. The visitors cause Mark Brian to feel what about the world of the white man he has left behind?
(a) He feels he no longer knows it, and is ashamed of it now.
(b) He feels he never belonged in it.
(c) He feels he must go back and save it.
(d) He feels he has abandoned his people by leaving it.
12. Why are the elders concerned about the burial grounds?
(a) Many coffins have fallen from the trees and bones lie on the ground.
(b) The Indians keep getting drunk and passing out there.
(c) The coffins are overcrowding the villagers' homes.
(d) The white tourists have located it and insist on visiting.
13. Though Mark Brian feels he has made friends with loneliness, deprivation, and death, he feels he was constantly supported by
(a) His wife.
(b) His family.
(c) His friends.
(d) His faith.
14. During his travels with Jim, the river has always offered Mark
(a) Another reason to trust the Bishop.
(b) A reason to return to the village.
(c) Another passage way, or a way out.
(d) The chance to go home again.
15. During his stay, Mark gets to know
(a) The laws concerning the villagers.
(b) The village elders.
(c) The tribal songs and myths.
(d) The Bishop's friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
2. Who alerts the Bishop to Mark's physical condition?
3. The Bishop hopes Mark's time in the village has taught him
4. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
5. What tree has been a great "friend" to the Indians?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)