|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who travels up the river with Mark and the Bishop?
(a) A pregnant woman.
(b) A drunken villager.
(d) Calamity Bill.
2. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
(a) In August Keetah and Gordon would be married and they would leave the village.
(b) In August Mark Brian would leave and the Bishop would arrive.
(c) In August the mosquitos came and illness would follow.
(d) In August the rains began and liquor would be legal for Indians.
3. Traveling in the river, Mark begins to
(a) Consider leaving the faith.
(b) Consider the wisdom of his work.
(c) Consider the question of his health.
(d) Consider moving to the village permanently.
4. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
5. Who alerts the Bishop to Mark's physical condition?
(a) Mrs. Hudson.
6. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A group of tourists from Texas.
(b) A group of clergymen.
(c) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
(d) A group of southern Californian tourists.
7. While Jim and Mark are out on the boat
(a) A landslide occurs.
(b) A hurricane occurs.
(c) A tornado occurs.
(d) An earthquake occurs.
8. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
9. On behalf of Calamity Bill, Mark Brian refuses
(a) The offer of a ride from the hospital boat.
(b) The offer of help cremating the body.
(c) The offer of a suit for his burial.
(d) The offer of a coffin the loggers built.
10. Marta's prayer for Mark
(a) Echoes the prayer of a woman for her lover.
(b) Echoes the prayer of a mother for her child.
(c) Echoes the prayer of an Indian for a white man.
(d) Echoes the prayers Mark taught her.
11. What major change occurs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The river freezes.
(b) A landslide occurs.
(c) The river overflows.
(d) The fish do not come.
12. According to Jim, Keetah does not say goodbye to anything in the village because
(a) She never wants to see it again.
(b) She is too distraught to think clearly.
(c) She knows it does not matter to her.
(d) She knows she will come back to it.
13. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
(a) A cedar tree.
(b) A prostitute.
(c) A white man.
(d) A cannibal.
14. What is T.P. Wallace's announcement?
(a) His family will give a banquet for Mark Brian.
(b) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Gordon.
(c) His family will give a dance-potlatch in honor of Jim.
(d) His family welcomes their new daughter, Keetah.
15. Why does the Bishop come back to the village?
(a) To attend the potlatch.
(b) To determine whether Mark had served the Indians well.
(c) To confer with Marta and Peter.
(d) To attend Jim and Keetah's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Caleb felt himself an intruder when visiting
2. Who surprises Mark with a visit?
3. The elders now believe
4. Who tells Mark the myth of the hamatsa?
5. What favor does Keetah ask from Mark on behalf of the villagers?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)