|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
(a) Because a drunk, young logger is lost at sea.
(b) Because a drunk, young logger has asked them for help.
(c) Because they are fishing.
(d) Because they are lost at sea.
2. Who alerts the Bishop to Mark's physical condition?
(c) Mrs. Hudson.
3. Mark Brian dies when
(a) His illness overwhelms him.
(b) A crash destroys his boat.
(c) A tornado destroys his boat.
(d) A landslide destroys his boat.
4. The dying man asks Mark Brian to
(a) Obtain a fine suit for his burial.
(b) Contact all his friends and relatives.
(c) Deliver a fine eulogy for him.
(d) Spread his ashes in a certain place.
5. What two reasons demand that the vicarage be built before August?
(a) In August Keetah and Gordon would be married and they would leave the village.
(b) In August the mosquitos came and illness would follow.
(c) In August Mark Brian would leave and the Bishop would arrive.
(d) In August the rains began and liquor would be legal for Indians.
6. What news does the Bishop give Mark at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Bishop will ask Mark to stay on in the village though he is ill.
(b) The Bishop will seek replacement for Mark, and Mark will leave the village.
(c) Mark's work in the village is not yet done.
(d) The Bishop has been disappointed in Mark's work, so he must leave the village.
7. When Keetah returns, it is because
(a) She has to ask for help from Gordon's relatives.
(b) She has been defeated by the white world.
(c) She cannot find Gordon.
(d) She chooses to return to the village.
8. Who tells Mark the myth of the hamatsa?
(b) Mrs. Hudson.
9. Keetah wants to bear Gordon's child so that
(a) HIs line will continue to live in the village, though he will not.
(b) He will be forced to marry her against his will.
(c) She can punish JIm for his past behavior.
(d) She can hold on to some part of him.
10. In March, what burden is lifted from the villagers?
(a) The burden of the white man.
(b) The burden of liquor.
(c) The burden of Sam.
(d) The burden of winter.
11. The passage at the end of the novel means
(a) Thank you.
(b) God Bless.
(c) The End.
(d) That is all.
12. What will Mark Brian tell the first Indian man who asks to borrow money when he has spent all his earnings on liquor?
(a) Mark Brian will tell the man he should not have sinned by drinking liquor.
(b) Mark Brian will tell the man to seek employment in another town.
(c) Mark Brian will tell the man to write the Bishop for money.
(d) Mark Brian will tell the man to fish and hunt to feed his family.
13. What is Jim's response to Keetah's state of health?
(a) He says a child is always welcome.
(b) He says a child is always a reminder of past mistakes.
(c) He says no child of Gordon's will ever be his.
(d) He says she will not raise the child herself.
14. What does the English anthropologist call the Indian tribe?
15. Who unexpectedly visits the village?
(a) A group of clergymen.
(b) A group of tourists from Texas.
(c) A groups of Indians from a neighboring village.
(d) A group of southern Californian tourists.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
2. According to the myth, the hamatsa is
3. The woman Keetah had lived with at school
4. Mark realizes he has come to rely on
5. The teacher does not attend the funeral because
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)