|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mark Brian's sister feel when she sees him for the first time in months?
(a) Concern for his health.
(b) Concern for his faith.
(c) Concern over his chosen profession.
(d) Concern over his changing lifestyle.
2. When Keetah does not come to see him, Mark decides
(a) He may have mistaken the reason for her return.
(b) She might not want to see him again.
(c) He might be in love with her.
(d) He may not really know the Indians at all.
3. On the river, Mark stops to help
(a) Two fishermen bringing in their catch.
(b) Two loggers moving a float camp.
(c) Two tourists stranded on their yacht.
(d) Two loggers hauling a load of lumber.
4. The dying man asks Mark Brian to
(a) Contact all his friends and relatives.
(b) Deliver a fine eulogy for him.
(c) Spread his ashes in a certain place.
(d) Obtain a fine suit for his burial.
5. What is Jim's response to Keetah's state of health?
(a) He says she will not raise the child herself.
(b) He says no child of Gordon's will ever be his.
(c) He says a child is always welcome.
(d) He says a child is always a reminder of past mistakes.
6. What does Mrs. Hudson suggest they serve at Mark's funeral?
(a) Mashed potatoes.
(d) Mashed turnips.
7. While Jim and Mark are out on the boat
(a) A hurricane occurs.
(b) A tornado occurs.
(c) An earthquake occurs.
(d) A landslide occurs.
8. When Mark tells Marta he has heard the owl call his name, she says
(a) Only the tribe members can hear the owl.
(b) No, you must be mistaken.
(c) Yes, my son.
(d) Not yet, my son.
9. Who waits up for Mark at the end of the novel?
10. The elders stay away when Gordon visits because
(a) He plans to ask the tribe for money for his travels.
(b) He plans to call for change among the villagers.
(c) He has no interest in the past.
(d) He has no interest in any of the villagers.
11. Caleb felt himself an intruder when visiting
(a) Indians' homes.
(b) The boat.
(c) Deserted villages.
(d) The vicarage.
12. Who promises to return to the village at Christmas time?
(a) Chief Eddy.
13. Why does Mark refuse to urge Gordon to stay, as the elders have asked him?
(a) He has promised Jim to urge Gordon to go.
(b) He has promised Gordon's mother to help him get an education.
(c) He has promised Gordon he will help him get out of the village.
(d) He has promised Keetah he would not interfere.
14. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to know its place.
(b) Seemed to sense his presence.
(c) Seemed to sense his illness.
(d) Seemed to know he did not belong.
15. Marta asks Mark to dinner because
(a) The elders want to talk to him about the cemetery.
(b) The elders want to talk to him about the vicarage.
(c) The elders want to talk to him about his health.
(d) The elders want to talk to him about Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his stay, Mark gets to know
2. Where does Mark Brian stay while the new vicarage is being constructed?
3. Keetah wants to bear Gordon's child so that
4. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
5. What did the villagers do to celebrate this "friend?"
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)