|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tree has been a great "friend" to the Indians?
(a) The pine tree.
(b) The elm tree.
(c) The oak tree.
(d) The cedar tree.
2. The elders now believe
(a) Their dead can rest in peace.
(b) A new graveyard is necessary.
(c) Mark Brian truly understands their ways.
(d) Their dead will reward Mark Brian.
3. What is Mark's chief concern for the Indians while he is away from the village?
(a) That the Bishop will arrive and find him missing.
(b) That he does not belong there anymore.
(c) That Sam will hurt someone.
(d) That liquor will destroy them.
4. Mark observes that everything in nature
(a) Seemed to know its place.
(b) Seemed to know he did not belong.
(c) Seemed to sense his presence.
(d) Seemed to sense his illness.
5. Mark discovers the man has
(a) A broken hip.
(b) A broken collarbone.
(c) A broken back.
(d) A broken leg.
6. When Keetah returns to the village, she finds
(a) She is no longer welcome in the village.
(b) She has changed, but the village has not.
(c) The village has changed, but she has not.
(d) She has changed in different ways that the villagers have.
7. Who seems to have a hard time adjusting to white society at first?
8. Mark Brian dies when
(a) A crash destroys his boat.
(b) A landslide destroys his boat.
(c) A tornado destroys his boat.
(d) His illness overwhelms him.
9. What does Mark Brian try to prepare the school boys for?
(a) Living among strangers.
(b) Living with women.
(c) Living in the Indian world.
(d) Living in white society.
10. Caleb warns Mark that
(a) Soon the villagers will leave for the outside world.
(b) Soon the outside world will forget the village.
(c) Soon the villagers will ask him to leave.
(d) Soon the outside world will intrude upon the village and the tribe.
11. Who tells Mark the myth of the hamatsa?
(b) Mrs. Hudson.
12. On his way back to the village, Mark hears the owl call his name, signaling
(a) His impending departure.
(b) His impending death.
(c) His life has had meaning.
(d) His time in the village is over.
13. When Mark releases Calamity Bill's ashes,
(a) He hears his prayers echo back to him across the channel.
(b) He hears Calamity Bill whisper goodbye.
(c) He hears the Bishop call his name.
(d) He hears to raven call his name.
14. Whose health was revived by the tribal dances and rituals?
(b) Chief Eddy's.
(c) Mrs. Hudson's.
(d) T.P. Wallace's.
15. The visitors cause Mark Brian to feel what about the world of the white man he has left behind?
(a) He feels he must go back and save it.
(b) He feels he has abandoned his people by leaving it.
(c) He feels he no longer knows it, and is ashamed of it now.
(d) He feels he never belonged in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. The passage at the end of the novel means
2. Where does Mark Brian stay while the new vicarage is being constructed?
3. Who travels up the river with Mark and the Bishop?
4. What does Mrs. Hudson suggest they serve at Mark's funeral?
5. Why do Jim and Mark go out on the boat during a storm?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)