|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The female salmon they watch is too weak to fight
(a) The bears that hunt her.
(b) The other femaile salmon.
(c) The male salmon.
(d) The force of the stream.
2. What is the Indian name of the village where Mark Brian is sent?
3. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
(a) The depth of sadness.
(b) His hatred of the Indian people.
(c) His fear of dying.
(d) The answer to a riddle.
4. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
(a) Keetah and Marta.
(b) Chief Eddy and Gordon.
(c) The teacher.
(d) Sam and Ellie.
5. Why does Caleb feel Mark should be sorry for the Indians?
(a) Because they must teach him everything.
(b) Because they are so uncivilized.
(c) Because they need salvation.
(d) Because they must endure his presence on their land.
6. Why is the whole tribe home together for the first time since Mark's arrival in the village?
(a) Everyone has come home for Keetah's sister's wedding.
(b) Everyone has come home for Christmas.
(c) Everyone has come home for a funeral.
(d) Everyone has come home for Thanksgiving.
7. Where is the novel set?
(d) British Columbia.
8. What is true of both the swimmer and Mark Brian?
(a) They are both doomed to complete their task and die.
(b) They are both kinds of fish.
(c) They are both outcasts of society.
(d) They are both unclear about their purpose.
9. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
(a) The young ordinand.
(b) The young doctor.
(c) The young Constable.
(d) The young Bishop.
10. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
(a) Outsmarting the Indians.
(b) Rolling up his shirtsleeves.
(c) Begging for what he needs.
(d) Trading for what he needs.
11. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
(a) She had heard the Bishop tell stories of him.
(b) She had heard stories from her elders.
(c) She knew the man as a child.
(d) She had seen pictures of him in the vicarage.
12. Sam plans to ask the vicar
(a) For a loan.
(b) For a job.
(c) For counsel about his daughter.
(d) For liquor.
13. The Bishop plans to send the young man to his hardest parish because
(a) He will learn a great deal quickly.
(b) He will learn how to speak the Indian languages.
(c) He will think the village has caused his illness.
(d) He will decide to return to his home and seek medical help.
14. The Bishop plans to
(a) Tell the young man to be grateful for his health.
(b) Tell the young man his illness is psychological.
(c) Tell the young man about his illness eventually.
(d) Tell the young man he does not have any illnesses.
15. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(a) Gordon's relatives.
(b) Jim's relatives.
(d) The Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hudson's fear for her granddaughter, who is getting married?
2. What large item do Mark and Jim have to transport on the boat?
3. What observation does T. P. Wallace make about Mark Brian?
4. Why is Mark Brian going to Alert Bay?
5. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)