|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Constable Pearson bring with him to the village?
(a) His mother.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His superior officer.
2. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
(a) The doctor.
(b) The boat.
(c) The organ.
(d) The constable.
3. The illness will not allow the man to live longer than
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
4. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
(a) That Peter lives in the cemetery.
(b) That Peter is the village carver.
(c) That Peter lives in the vicarage.
(d) That Peter is the only white teacher.
5. Sam plans to ask the vicar
(a) For a loan.
(b) For liquor.
(c) For a job.
(d) For counsel about his daughter.
6. What large item do Mark and Jim have to transport on the boat?
(a) A trunk.
(b) A coffin.
(c) An organ.
(d) A cardboard box.
7. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
(b) He has proven worthy of them.
(c) He has promised to help them in return.
(d) He has suffered with them.
8. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
(a) Indians arrive to help him rebuild.
(b) He receives a letter from the Bishop that same afternoon.
(c) He decides his faith is waning.
(d) He receives a loan from the church.
9. The Bishop will not reveal the young man's illness yet because he fears
(a) The young man will not try to win over the villagers if he knows he is dying.
(b) The young man will lose his faith if he knows he is dying.
(c) The young man will try too hard if he knows he is dying.
(d) The young man will leave the priesthood if he knows he is dying.
10. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
(a) He loves fishing.
(b) He has a twin sister.
(c) He is an excellent swimmer.
(d) He wants to keep moving up the river.
11. Ellie is
(a) The young daughter of Sam, the poorest man in the village.
(b) The young daughter of Peter, the poorest man in the village.
(c) The young daughter of Jim Wallace.
(d) The young daughter of Sam, the white school teacher.
12. The chief teaches Mark Brian to say
(b) How do you do.
(c) God bless you.
(d) Good Morning.
13. Keetah is
(a) Mrs. Hudson's granddaughter.
(b) Sam's granddaughter.
(c) Jim's granddaughter.
(d) Mrs. Stephens' granddaughter.
14. How old is Jim Wallace?
15. What is true of both the swimmer and Mark Brian?
(a) They are both doomed to complete their task and die.
(b) They are both kinds of fish.
(c) They are both outcasts of society.
(d) They are both unclear about their purpose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why aren't the local deer afraid of guns?
2. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
3. What does the vicar discover will take him many hours in a day?
4. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
5. The Bishop plans to send the young man to his hardest parish because
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)