|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose death does Mark Brian experience in Chapter 11?
(b) Mrs. Hudson.
(c) Gordon's mother.
(d) Keetah's sister.
2. When the men deliver the organ to the church
(a) It draws a crowd.
(b) It plays beautifully.
(c) It does not work.
(d) It falls apart.
3. What does Mark Brian promise the dying woman?
(a) He will help her find her way back to the tribe.
(b) He will help her daughter find a husband.
(c) He will help her son get an education.
(d) He will help her granddaughters get married.
4. Why does Caleb feel Mark should be sorry for the Indians?
(a) Because they are so uncivilized.
(b) Because they must endure his presence on their land.
(c) Because they need salvation.
(d) Because they must teach him everything.
5. Where is the novel set?
(a) British Columbia.
6. What does the vicar discover will take him many hours in a day?
(a) Studying the Indians' language.
(b) Lighting the fire in the vicarage.
(c) Staying alive, fed, and clean.
(d) Repairing the damage to the vicarage.
7. Mark asks Jim to show him
(a) The end of the river.
(b) The end of the salmon run.
(c) The best place to fish for salmon.
(d) The village salmon festival.
8. What large item do Mark and Jim have to transport on the boat?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A cardboard box.
(c) A trunk.
(d) An organ.
9. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
(a) The young doctor.
(b) The young ordinand.
(c) The young Constable.
(d) The young Bishop.
10. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(a) Gordon's relatives.
(b) The Bishop.
(d) Jim's relatives.
11. Though cautious, Jim
(a) Rebuilds the vicarage.
(b) Immediately befriends the vicar.
(c) Continues to serve the vicar well.
(d) Abandons hope for the new vicar.
12. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
(a) She has a toothless smile.
(b) She has gnarled hands.
(c) She has a wrinkled face.
(d) She has white hair.
13. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
14. What is the Indian name of the village where Mark Brian is sent?
15. What relationship did Mark Brian observe in the hunters of the tribe?
(a) The boss-laborer relationship.
(b) The father-son relationship.
(c) The brotherly relationship.
(d) The warrior-to-warrior relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jim convinced Keetah will marry him?
2. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
3. When Mark Brian feels his full commitment to the Indian community, his response is
4. Mark Brian believes that if a man were to vanish from this area
5. What does the doctor hope the Bishop will do for the young man?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)