Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
(a) His hatred of the Indian people.
(b) The depth of sadness.
(c) The answer to a riddle.
(d) His fear of dying.
2. Who is Tagoona?
(a) Tagoona is an Eskimo who becomes an ordained priest.
(b) Tagoona is the first white priest to live among the Eskimos.
(c) Tagoona is a storm that symbolizes difficult times for the Indians.
(d) Tagoona is the mythical brother who settled the tribe.
3. How old is Jim Wallace?
4. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) What have you done to us?
(b) Why have you betrayed us?
(c) Why should we forgive you?
(d) What can you do to help us?
5. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) The formal use of the word "we."
(b) Shaking hands.
(c) The formal use of the word "you."
(d) Speaking Kwakwala.
6. Whose return to the village has sparked Mark's interest?
(a) Keetah's sister, who planned to marry a white man.
(b) Keetah's sister, who had been abandoned by her fiance.
(c) Keetah's brother, who planned to marry a white girl.
(d) Keetah's fiance.
7. Mark Brian believes the swimmer's fate is
(a) A disgrace.
(b) A triumph.
(c) A joke.
(d) A tragedy.
8. Who invited Mark to go hunting?
(b) Chief Eddy.
(d) Marta Stephens.
9. Why doesn't the young man know about his illness?
(a) The Bishop has not told him yet.
(b) The villagers are trying to treat it.
(c) The man does not speak the native's language.
(d) The doctor tries to cover it up.
10. How does Mark Brian approach the village of Kingcome?
(a) On a hydro-plane.
(b) On a forty-foot raft.
(c) On a forty-foot boat.
(d) On a rowboat.
11. Mark finds himself tending for an orphaned
12. Mark Brian believes that if a man were to vanish from this area
(a) He would become a ghost like the Indians.
(b) He would never find his way home.
(c) He would have to leave a trail for others to find him.
(d) He would leave no trace of himself behind.
13. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
(a) The doctor.
(b) The organ.
(c) The boat.
(d) The constable.
14. What activity contributes to Mark Brian's feeling of responsibility to the Indians?
(a) Repairing the Bishop's boat.
(b) Playing the organ in the church.
(c) Delivering gifts to the children in the villages.
(d) Caring for Calamity Bill.
15. With his new winter hat on, the new vicar looks like
(a) A snowman.
(b) A bank robber.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) An egg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jim convinced Keetah will marry him?
2. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
3. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
4. Mark Brian sees himself as
5. What season marks the start of Chapter 11?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)