|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity contributes to Mark Brian's feeling of responsibility to the Indians?
(a) Repairing the Bishop's boat.
(b) Playing the organ in the church.
(c) Caring for Calamity Bill.
(d) Delivering gifts to the children in the villages.
2. Who is T.P. Wallace?
(a) The chief of the tribe.
(b) Jim Wallace's wife.
(c) The elder and orator of the tribe.
(d) The new constable.
3. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
(a) She has white hair.
(b) She has gnarled hands.
(c) She has a toothless smile.
(d) She has a wrinkled face.
4. The illness will not allow the man to live longer than
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
5. How old is Jim Wallace?
6. Ellie is
(a) The young daughter of Sam, the white school teacher.
(b) The young daughter of Peter, the poorest man in the village.
(c) The young daughter of Sam, the poorest man in the village.
(d) The young daughter of Jim Wallace.
7. In Kwakwala, there is no word for
(a) Good morning.
(c) Thank You.
8. Why doesn't the young man know about his illness?
(a) The Bishop has not told him yet.
(b) The villagers are trying to treat it.
(c) The doctor tries to cover it up.
(d) The man does not speak the native's language.
9. Sam plans to ask the vicar
(a) For a job.
(b) For counsel about his daughter.
(c) For liquor.
(d) For a loan.
10. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
(a) He has a twin sister.
(b) He loves fishing.
(c) He wants to keep moving up the river.
(d) He is an excellent swimmer.
11. What new feeling is Mark experiencing in the village?
(a) A feeling of dissertion.
(b) A feeling of dissent.
(c) A feeling of hopelessness.
(d) A feeling of outrage.
12. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
(a) The teacher.
(b) Chief Eddy and Gordon.
(c) Keetah and Marta.
(d) Sam and Ellie.
13. The Bishop will not reveal the young man's illness yet because he fears
(a) The young man will not try to win over the villagers if he knows he is dying.
(b) The young man will try too hard if he knows he is dying.
(c) The young man will lose his faith if he knows he is dying.
(d) The young man will leave the priesthood if he knows he is dying.
14. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
(b) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
(c) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
(d) Many great rituals were lost.
15. The Bishop reveals that Kingcome is
(a) Where he would want to go to escape the real world.
(b) Where he would want to go if he were in the young man's place.
(c) Where he would want to go to renew his faith.
(d) Where he would want to go to spend his dying days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Constable Pearson bring with him to the village?
2. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
3. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
4. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
5. Mark Brian believes the swimmer's fate is
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)