|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Kwakwala, there is no word for
(b) Thank You.
(c) Good morning.
2. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) Why should we forgive you?
(b) Why have you betrayed us?
(c) What can you do to help us?
(d) What have you done to us?
3. When Mark Brian feels his full commitment to the Indian community, his response is
(a) "I do, my Lord."
(b) "No, my Lord."
(c) "Show me the way, my Lord."
(d) "Yes, my Lord."
4. What activity contributes to Mark Brian's feeling of responsibility to the Indians?
(a) Playing the organ in the church.
(b) Caring for Calamity Bill.
(c) Repairing the Bishop's boat.
(d) Delivering gifts to the children in the villages.
5. In wintertime, how were the beliefs of the tribe relived?
(a) The beliefs were relived through ancient songs.
(b) The beliefs were relived through cave paintings.
(c) The beliefs were relived through sweat lodges.
(d) The beliefs were relived through dances.
6. In the painting of Christ,
(a) Christ is white and appears remote.
(b) Christ is looking away as if unconcerned.
(c) Christ is Indian and appears to know their sadness.
(d) Christ is extending his hand to the lambs.
7. What news arrives from Keetah's sister, Mrs. Hudson's granddaughter?
(a) Keetah's sister will marry a white man.
(b) Keetah's sister will marry a man f rom another tribe.
(c) Keetah's sister refuses to come home for Christmas.
(d) Keetah's sister will not attend Keetah's wedding.
8. Mark returns to the vicarage and to the smell of
9. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
(a) The Archbishop.
(b) The young ordinand.
(c) The constable.
(d) The Bishop.
10. Who has offered Mark Brian a great deal of advice and training?
(a) The Archbishop of Canterbury.
(b) The Bishop.
(d) Caleb, the old canon.
11. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
(a) She had heard the Bishop tell stories of him.
(b) She had seen pictures of him in the vicarage.
(c) She had heard stories from her elders.
(d) She knew the man as a child.
12. The chief teaches Mark Brian to say
(a) God bless you.
(c) Good Morning.
(d) How do you do.
13. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
(a) The depth of sadness.
(b) The answer to a riddle.
(c) His fear of dying.
(d) His hatred of the Indian people.
14. Mark asks Jim to show him
(a) The end of the river.
(b) The village salmon festival.
(c) The best place to fish for salmon.
(d) The end of the salmon run.
15. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
2. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
3. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
4. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
5. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)