|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
(a) The young ordinand.
(b) The constable.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The Archbishop.
2. What causes Mark and all the young people to rush on to the path?
(a) A boat crashed into the island.
(b) A landslide began on the mountain.
(c) A fight broke out among the villagers.
(d) A jet plane broke the sound barrier.
3. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
(a) He asks for a new church instead.
(b) He gladly accepts the offer.
(c) He refuses the offer.
(d) He asks to leave the island instead.
4. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) What can you do to help us?
(b) What have you done to us?
(c) Why have you betrayed us?
(d) Why should we forgive you?
5. What does Peter claim causes this new feeling among the villagers?
(a) The young people are changing because they are learning the white man's ways.
(b) The young people are changing because they are not being educated.
(c) The young people are changing because the tribes are intermarrying.
(d) The young people are changing because they are afraid of the white man's ways.
6. The chief teaches Mark Brian to say
(b) God bless you.
(c) How do you do.
(d) Good Morning.
7. Mark discovers he has no talent for
8. Why does Jim plan to get drunk after the funeral?
(a) Because he does not like the new vicar.
(b) Because he feels responsible for the boy's death.
(c) Because the dead boy was his relative.
(d) Because the Indians are dying out.
9. Sam plans to ask the vicar
(a) For a job.
(b) For counsel about his daughter.
(c) For liquor.
(d) For a loan.
10. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
(a) The young doctor.
(b) The young Bishop.
(c) The young ordinand.
(d) The young Constable.
11. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many great rituals were lost.
(b) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
(c) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
(d) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
12. How do the Indians respond to Mark Brian's attempts to learn their language?
(a) They are amused and indulgent.
(b) They are offended.
(c) They are unimpressed by his efforts.
(d) They are amused and mock him openly.
13. What new feeling is Mark experiencing in the village?
(a) A feeling of outrage.
(b) A feeling of dissertion.
(c) A feeling of hopelessness.
(d) A feeling of dissent.
14. Jim describes his people through several
(a) Lengthy historical discussions.
(c) Legends and stories.
15. Mark Brian sees himself as
(a) A brave explorer of a new world.
(b) An interloper on Indian territory.
(c) A fearless conqueror.
(d) A guest in the Indians' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
2. When Mark Brian feels his full commitment to the Indian community, his response is
3. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
4. What observation does T. P. Wallace make about Mark Brian?
5. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)