|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark returns to the vicarage and to the smell of
2. The oolachon is
(a) The salmon.
(b) The candlefish.
(c) The river otter.
(d) The blue whale.
3. The Bishop reveals that Kingcome is
(a) Where he would want to go if he were in the young man's place.
(b) Where he would want to go to renew his faith.
(c) Where he would want to go to spend his dying days.
(d) Where he would want to go to escape the real world.
4. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
(a) He returns to the ocean.
(b) He dies.
(c) He chooses a mate.
(d) He waits for his eggs to hatch.
5. When Mark Brian feels his full commitment to the Indian community, his response is
(a) "No, my Lord."
(b) "Yes, my Lord."
(c) "Show me the way, my Lord."
(d) "I do, my Lord."
6. What small revenge does Mrs. Hudson have on the white man?
(a) She knits them itchy hats.
(b) She serves them mashed turnips.
(c) She serves them wild goose.
(d) She refuses to speak English to them.
7. What is dumped into the the center of the stream by the villagers?
(b) Animal carcasses.
(c) Offerings to the gods.
8. Why is Keetah's family leaving the tribe to live in a deserted village?
(a) They are going to start their own tribe and traditions.
(b) They are ashamed that a drunken family member sold a tribal mask.
(c) They are ashamed that a family member will marry a white man.
(d) They are going to find a better life after selling a tribal mask.
9. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(a) Jim's relatives.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Gordon's relatives.
10. The Bishop decides to send the young man to
11. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
(a) The young ordinand.
(b) The young doctor.
(c) The young Constable.
(d) The young Bishop.
12. Ellie is
(a) The young daughter of Sam, the white school teacher.
(b) The young daughter of Peter, the poorest man in the village.
(c) The young daughter of Jim Wallace.
(d) The young daughter of Sam, the poorest man in the village.
13. The Bishop will not reveal the young man's illness yet because he fears
(a) The young man will leave the priesthood if he knows he is dying.
(b) The young man will try too hard if he knows he is dying.
(c) The young man will lose his faith if he knows he is dying.
(d) The young man will not try to win over the villagers if he knows he is dying.
14. Keetah is
(a) Jim's granddaughter.
(b) Mrs. Stephens' granddaughter.
(c) Sam's granddaughter.
(d) Mrs. Hudson's granddaughter.
15. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
(a) He claims the RCMP officers are always young and hard.
(b) He claims an older man would not wait ten days to come investigate a child's death.
(c) He claims the older man who last held the office was hard.
(d) He claims the Indians always know who is coming before they arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter claim causes this new feeling among the villagers?
2. When the men deliver the organ to the church
3. What do Jim and Mark witness on the river?
4. In the painting of Christ,
5. Why is Mark Brian going to Alert Bay?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)