|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark Brian believes that if a man were to vanish from this area
(a) He would become a ghost like the Indians.
(b) He would leave no trace of himself behind.
(c) He would never find his way home.
(d) He would have to leave a trail for others to find him.
2. Mark Brian sees himself as
(a) An interloper on Indian territory.
(b) A guest in the Indians' house.
(c) A fearless conqueror.
(d) A brave explorer of a new world.
3. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
(a) Patrol the Indian villages.
(b) Quell any Indian rebellions.
(c) Win the Indians trust for political reasons.
(d) Convert the Indians to Catholicism.
4. Mark discovers he has no talent for
5. What is Mrs. Hudson's fear for her granddaughter, who is getting married?
(a) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her family.
(b) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her tribe.
(c) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of herself.
(d) She fears the family will be ashamed of the granddaughter.
6. When Mark Brian sees the tribe approaching the church single file, he is reminded of
(a) Their oppression by the white man.
(b) Their duty to him as their vicar.
(c) Their travel up the river.
(d) Their travel from the mountains to the Bering Sea.
7. What does Peter claim causes this new feeling among the villagers?
(a) The young people are changing because they are afraid of the white man's ways.
(b) The young people are changing because the tribes are intermarrying.
(c) The young people are changing because they are learning the white man's ways.
(d) The young people are changing because they are not being educated.
8. The Bishop plans to
(a) Tell the young man he does not have any illnesses.
(b) Tell the young man his illness is psychological.
(c) Tell the young man to be grateful for his health.
(d) Tell the young man about his illness eventually.
9. Sam plans to ask the vicar
(a) For a loan.
(b) For a job.
(c) For liquor.
(d) For counsel about his daughter.
10. What arrived at the village in November?
(a) The hospital ship.
(b) The army ship.
(c) The government ship.
(d) The navy ship.
11. Though cautious, Jim
(a) Continues to serve the vicar well.
(b) Immediately befriends the vicar.
(c) Rebuilds the vicarage.
(d) Abandons hope for the new vicar.
12. Mark Brian succeeds where the doctor failed to
(a) Pull Ethel's tooth.
(b) Pull Peter's tooth.
(c) Pull Marta's tooth.
(d) Pull Sam's tooth.
13. What does the doctor hope the Bishop will do for the young man?
(a) He hopes the Bishop will train the young man well.
(b) He hopes the Bishop will warn the young man of his condition.
(c) He hopes the Bishop will pray for the young man.
(d) He hopes the Bishop will nurse the young man to health.
14. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
(a) Indians arrive to help him rebuild.
(b) He receives a loan from the church.
(c) He receives a letter from the Bishop that same afternoon.
(d) He decides his faith is waning.
15. In wintertime, how were the beliefs of the tribe relived?
(a) The beliefs were relived through dances.
(b) The beliefs were relived through cave paintings.
(c) The beliefs were relived through sweat lodges.
(d) The beliefs were relived through ancient songs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mark and all the young people to rush on to the path?
2. Why does Caleb feel Mark should be sorry for the Indians?
3. What does Mark Brian do that captures Jim's attention?
4. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
5. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)