|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
(a) The Archbishop.
(b) The constable.
(c) The young ordinand.
(d) The Bishop.
2. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
(b) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
(c) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
(d) Many great rituals were lost.
3. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
(a) Patrol the Indian villages.
(b) Convert the Indians to Catholicism.
(c) Quell any Indian rebellions.
(d) Win the Indians trust for political reasons.
4. The young ordinand has less than two years to
(a) Live away from home.
(b) LIve without life support.
(c) Live outside the hospital.
(d) Live an active life.
5. Who is T.P. Wallace?
(a) Jim Wallace's wife.
(b) The new constable.
(c) The chief of the tribe.
(d) The elder and orator of the tribe.
6. Why does Jim plan to get drunk after the funeral?
(a) Because the Indians are dying out.
(b) Because he feels responsible for the boy's death.
(c) Because the dead boy was his relative.
(d) Because he does not like the new vicar.
7. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) Jim's relatives.
(c) Gordon's relatives.
8. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) The formal use of the word "we."
(b) Shaking hands.
(c) Speaking Kwakwala.
(d) The formal use of the word "you."
9. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He has proven worthy of them.
(b) He has promised to help them in return.
(c) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
(d) He has suffered with them.
10. What does Mark Brian do that captures Jim's attention?
(a) He tries to catch the salmon.
(b) He recites a sermon.
(c) He recites an Indian prayer.
(d) He shrieks in fear.
11. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
(a) The young doctor.
(b) The young Constable.
(c) The young Bishop.
(d) The young ordinand.
12. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
(a) He decides his faith is waning.
(b) He receives a letter from the Bishop that same afternoon.
(c) Indians arrive to help him rebuild.
(d) He receives a loan from the church.
13. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
(a) He chooses a mate.
(b) He waits for his eggs to hatch.
(c) He dies.
(d) He returns to the ocean.
14. Where is the novel set?
(a) British Columbia.
15. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
(a) She knew the man as a child.
(b) She had heard the Bishop tell stories of him.
(c) She had heard stories from her elders.
(d) She had seen pictures of him in the vicarage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark Brian promise the dying woman?
2. Whose death does Mark Brian experience in Chapter 11?
3. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
4. Mark asks Jim to show him
5. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)