|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor hope the Bishop will do for the young man?
(a) He hopes the Bishop will pray for the young man.
(b) He hopes the Bishop will warn the young man of his condition.
(c) He hopes the Bishop will train the young man well.
(d) He hopes the Bishop will nurse the young man to health.
2. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
(a) The young doctor.
(b) The young ordinand.
(c) The young Constable.
(d) The young Bishop.
3. Who has offered Mark Brian a great deal of advice and training?
(a) Caleb, the old canon.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The Archbishop of Canterbury.
4. What is Mrs. Hudson's fear for her granddaughter, who is getting married?
(a) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of herself.
(b) She fears the family will be ashamed of the granddaughter.
(c) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her tribe.
(d) She fears the granddaughter will be ashamed of her family.
5. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He has suffered with them.
(b) He has proven worthy of them.
(c) He has promised to help them in return.
(d) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
6. Why aren't the local deer afraid of guns?
(a) The Indians do not hunt deer with guns, but hit them with clubs.
(b) The Indians do not hunt deer at all.
(c) The Indians are afraid to go near the deer.
(d) The Indians only use guns to hunt bear and geese.
7. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
(a) Convert the Indians to Catholicism.
(b) Patrol the Indian villages.
(c) Quell any Indian rebellions.
(d) Win the Indians trust for political reasons.
8. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(a) The Bishop.
(c) Jim's relatives.
(d) Gordon's relatives.
9. Mark Brian succeeds where the doctor failed to
(a) Pull Peter's tooth.
(b) Pull Sam's tooth.
(c) Pull Ethel's tooth.
(d) Pull Marta's tooth.
10. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
(a) He asks to leave the island instead.
(b) He gladly accepts the offer.
(c) He asks for a new church instead.
(d) He refuses the offer.
11. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
(a) He claims the Indians always know who is coming before they arrive.
(b) He claims the RCMP officers are always young and hard.
(c) He claims the older man who last held the office was hard.
(d) He claims an older man would not wait ten days to come investigate a child's death.
12. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) Shaking hands.
(b) The formal use of the word "we."
(c) Speaking Kwakwala.
(d) The formal use of the word "you."
13. Who are Mark Brian's first friends in the village?
(a) Sam and his wife.
(b) Two children who visit the vicarage.
(c) Marta Stephens and Ellie.
(d) Jim Wallace and Chief Eddy.
14. What does Mark Brian do that captures Jim's attention?
(a) He recites a sermon.
(b) He shrieks in fear.
(c) He recites an Indian prayer.
(d) He tries to catch the salmon.
15. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
Short Answer Questions
1. Families gather at the end of the salmon run to
2. What news arrives from Keetah's sister, Mrs. Hudson's granddaughter?
3. Mark Brian believes that if a man were to vanish from this area
4. What does Mark Brian discover about himself at the start of the chapter?
5. Though cautious, Jim
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)