|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(a) Jim's relatives.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) Gordon's relatives.
2. What do Jim and Mark witness on the river?
(a) They witness dolphins swimming to the ocean.
(b) They witness a run of salmon.
(c) They witness a lunar eclipse.
(d) They witness a murder.
3. Why is the whole tribe home together for the first time since Mark's arrival in the village?
(a) Everyone has come home for Thanksgiving.
(b) Everyone has come home for a funeral.
(c) Everyone has come home for Christmas.
(d) Everyone has come home for Keetah's sister's wedding.
4. How old is Jim Wallace?
5. The Bishop reveals that Kingcome is
(a) Where he would want to go to escape the real world.
(b) Where he would want to go to spend his dying days.
(c) Where he would want to go to renew his faith.
(d) Where he would want to go if he were in the young man's place.
6. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He has suffered with them.
(b) He has proven worthy of them.
(c) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
(d) He has promised to help them in return.
7. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
(a) She knew the man as a child.
(b) She had seen pictures of him in the vicarage.
(c) She had heard stories from her elders.
(d) She had heard the Bishop tell stories of him.
8. Why does Caleb feel Mark should be sorry for the Indians?
(a) Because they must teach him everything.
(b) Because they need salvation.
(c) Because they must endure his presence on their land.
(d) Because they are so uncivilized.
9. When the men deliver the organ to the church
(a) It plays beautifully.
(b) It does not work.
(c) It falls apart.
(d) It draws a crowd.
10. The oolachon is
(a) The river otter.
(b) The blue whale.
(c) The salmon.
(d) The candlefish.
11. What is Calamity Bill known for?
(a) He is said to hide in the bush and scare the women.
(b) He once road into battle with Custer.
(c) He has a personal relationship with the Archbishop.
(d) He wears two sets of long underwear and only changes one.
12. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
(a) The boat.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The organ.
(d) The constable.
13. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
(a) He wants to keep moving up the river.
(b) He has a twin sister.
(c) He loves fishing.
(d) He is an excellent swimmer.
14. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
(a) Indians arrive to help him rebuild.
(b) He receives a loan from the church.
(c) He receives a letter from the Bishop that same afternoon.
(d) He decides his faith is waning.
15. Why is the Indian woman wailing outside the vicarage?
(a) She is a professional mourner.
(b) She is afraid of the new Indian Affairs agent.
(c) She claims to have seen ghosts.
(d) She is afraid of Mark Brian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
2. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
3. Mark Brian sees himself as
4. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
5. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)