|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jim Wallace?
2. How does Mark describe the inanimate?
(a) Solid, stubborn, and indifferent.
(b) Remote, fearfull, and unreachable.
(c) Receptive, agreeable, and easygoing.
(d) Angry, vengeful, and dangerous.
3. In Kwakwala, there is no word for
(a) Good morning.
(c) Thank You.
4. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) Speaking Kwakwala.
(b) The formal use of the word "you."
(c) The formal use of the word "we."
(d) Shaking hands.
5. Why doesn't the young man know about his illness?
(a) The villagers are trying to treat it.
(b) The Bishop has not told him yet.
(c) The doctor tries to cover it up.
(d) The man does not speak the native's language.
6. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
(a) He claims the RCMP officers are always young and hard.
(b) He claims the Indians always know who is coming before they arrive.
(c) He claims the older man who last held the office was hard.
(d) He claims an older man would not wait ten days to come investigate a child's death.
7. Who did Constable Pearson bring with him to the village?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His superior officer.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His mother.
8. How do the Indians respond to Mark Brian's attempts to learn their language?
(a) They are offended.
(b) They are amused and mock him openly.
(c) They are amused and indulgent.
(d) They are unimpressed by his efforts.
9. When the men deliver the organ to the church
(a) It falls apart.
(b) It plays beautifully.
(c) It does not work.
(d) It draws a crowd.
10. What happened to Keetah's sister?
(a) She returned to the tribe in shame.
(b) She admitted to stealing the mask and was killed for it.
(c) She died of an overdose after being abandoned by her fiance.
(d) She left the tribe and became a white man's wife.
11. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) What can you do to help us?
(b) What have you done to us?
(c) Why have you betrayed us?
(d) Why should we forgive you?
12. Mark Brian believes the swimmer's fate is
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A disgrace.
(c) A joke.
(d) A triumph.
13. What does the vicar discover will take him many hours in a day?
(a) Staying alive, fed, and clean.
(b) Studying the Indians' language.
(c) Repairing the damage to the vicarage.
(d) Lighting the fire in the vicarage.
14. The oolachon is
(a) The salmon.
(b) The candlefish.
(c) The blue whale.
(d) The river otter.
15. The chief teaches Mark Brian to say
(a) God bless you.
(b) How do you do.
(c) Good Morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is T.P. Wallace?
2. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
3. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
4. Mark discovers he has no talent for
5. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)