|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose death does Mark Brian experience in Chapter 11?
(a) Gordon's mother.
(b) Keetah's sister.
(c) Mrs. Hudson.
2. Jim Wallace wants the vicar to know that he is
(a) Free in the village.
(b) The only Indian in the village who is not free.
(c) Not willing to be friends with a white man.
(d) Employed by the church.
3. Why is the Indian woman wailing outside the vicarage?
(a) She is a professional mourner.
(b) She is afraid of the new Indian Affairs agent.
(c) She claims to have seen ghosts.
(d) She is afraid of Mark Brian.
4. Who has offered Mark Brian a great deal of advice and training?
(a) The Bishop.
(c) The Archbishop of Canterbury.
(d) Caleb, the old canon.
5. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
(a) Patrol the Indian villages.
(b) Win the Indians trust for political reasons.
(c) Quell any Indian rebellions.
(d) Convert the Indians to Catholicism.
6. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
(a) Outsmarting the Indians.
(b) Rolling up his shirtsleeves.
(c) Trading for what he needs.
(d) Begging for what he needs.
7. Why is Jim convinced Keetah will marry him?
(a) Because he is the only unmarried young man in the village.
(b) Because she is clearly in love with him.
(c) Because he knows Gordon will not stay in the village.
(d) Because he is Catholic like she is.
8. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He has suffered with them.
(b) He has proven worthy of them.
(c) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
(d) He has promised to help them in return.
9. Who did Constable Pearson bring with him to the village?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His superior officer.
(c) His mother.
(d) His girlfriend.
10. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
(a) That Peter is the only white teacher.
(b) That Peter lives in the cemetery.
(c) That Peter lives in the vicarage.
(d) That Peter is the village carver.
11. Mark Brian believes the swimmer's fate is
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A triumph.
(c) A disgrace.
(d) A joke.
12. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
13. What does Mark Brian discover about himself at the start of the chapter?
(a) He still does not understand Kwakwala.
(b) He is not liked by the tribal women.
(c) He can understand Kwakwala.
(d) He must work harder to force the Indians to trust him.
14. What animal's image is carved above the Bible?
(a) The owl.
(b) The grizzly bear.
(c) The eagle.
(d) The lamb.
15. How did Marta know first missionary in the village had a white beard?
(a) She had heard stories from her elders.
(b) She had heard the Bishop tell stories of him.
(c) She had seen pictures of him in the vicarage.
(d) She knew the man as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mark and all the young people to rush on to the path?
2. Mark discovers he has no talent for
3. What does Mark Brian do that captures Jim's attention?
4. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
5. What is the Indian name of the village where Mark Brian is sent?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)