|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Bishop plans to send the young man to his hardest parish because
(a) He will think the village has caused his illness.
(b) He will learn a great deal quickly.
(c) He will decide to return to his home and seek medical help.
(d) He will learn how to speak the Indian languages.
2. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
(b) Many great rituals were lost.
(c) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
(d) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
3. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
(a) He waits for his eggs to hatch.
(b) He chooses a mate.
(c) He returns to the ocean.
(d) He dies.
4. Who is T.P. Wallace?
(a) The chief of the tribe.
(b) The new constable.
(c) The elder and orator of the tribe.
(d) Jim Wallace's wife.
5. What happens when the vicar prays for help about the decayed vicarage?
(a) He receives a loan from the church.
(b) Indians arrive to help him rebuild.
(c) He receives a letter from the Bishop that same afternoon.
(d) He decides his faith is waning.
6. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
(a) He claims an older man would not wait ten days to come investigate a child's death.
(b) He claims the RCMP officers are always young and hard.
(c) He claims the Indians always know who is coming before they arrive.
(d) He claims the older man who last held the office was hard.
7. What arrived at the village in November?
(a) The navy ship.
(b) The army ship.
(c) The hospital ship.
(d) The government ship.
8. Why does Jim plan to get drunk after the funeral?
(a) Because he does not like the new vicar.
(b) Because the Indians are dying out.
(c) Because the dead boy was his relative.
(d) Because he feels responsible for the boy's death.
9. What does Mark Brian promise the dying woman?
(a) He will help her daughter find a husband.
(b) He will help her find her way back to the tribe.
(c) He will help her son get an education.
(d) He will help her granddaughters get married.
10. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) The formal use of the word "we."
(b) Shaking hands.
(c) The formal use of the word "you."
(d) Speaking Kwakwala.
11. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
12. Why did the white teacher choose to come to the village?
(a) The isolation pay allowed him to buy a nice car.
(b) The isolation pay allowed him to get married.
(c) The isolation pay allowed him to travel to Greece.
(d) The isolation pay allowed him to travel to Italy.
13. Who did Constable Pearson bring with him to the village?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His superior officer.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His mother.
14. Why is the whole tribe home together for the first time since Mark's arrival in the village?
(a) Everyone has come home for Keetah's sister's wedding.
(b) Everyone has come home for Thanksgiving.
(c) Everyone has come home for Christmas.
(d) Everyone has come home for a funeral.
15. Mark Brian sees himself as
(a) A guest in the Indians' house.
(b) A brave explorer of a new world.
(c) An interloper on Indian territory.
(d) A fearless conqueror.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim is concerned about Keetah because
2. Before he travels to the village, Mark Brian
3. The Bishop will not reveal the young man's illness yet because he fears
4. What is the Indian name of the village where Mark Brian is sent?
5. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)