|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) What can you do to help us?
(b) Why have you betrayed us?
(c) What have you done to us?
(d) Why should we forgive you?
2. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
(a) Patrol the Indian villages.
(b) Quell any Indian rebellions.
(c) Convert the Indians to Catholicism.
(d) Win the Indians trust for political reasons.
3. Why is Mark Brian going to Alert Bay?
(a) He is going to visit his sister.
(b) He wants to visit Gordon and the boys.
(c) H wants to see if he can get Keetah away from her white fiance.
(d) He wants to see if he can get Ellie away from her parents.
4. In wintertime, how were the beliefs of the tribe relived?
(a) The beliefs were relived through ancient songs.
(b) The beliefs were relived through cave paintings.
(c) The beliefs were relived through dances.
(d) The beliefs were relived through sweat lodges.
5. How does Mark describe the inanimate?
(a) Solid, stubborn, and indifferent.
(b) Remote, fearfull, and unreachable.
(c) Angry, vengeful, and dangerous.
(d) Receptive, agreeable, and easygoing.
6. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
(a) She has gnarled hands.
(b) She has a wrinkled face.
(c) She has a toothless smile.
(d) She has white hair.
7. What happened to Keetah's sister?
(a) She admitted to stealing the mask and was killed for it.
(b) She died of an overdose after being abandoned by her fiance.
(c) She left the tribe and became a white man's wife.
(d) She returned to the tribe in shame.
8. Who has returned to the village after their self-imposed exile?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) Gordon's relatives.
(c) Jim's relatives.
9. Sam plans to ask the vicar
(a) For a job.
(b) For liquor.
(c) For counsel about his daughter.
(d) For a loan.
10. Mark Brian sees himself as
(a) A brave explorer of a new world.
(b) An interloper on Indian territory.
(c) A fearless conqueror.
(d) A guest in the Indians' house.
11. Why does Jim plan to get drunk after the funeral?
(a) Because the Indians are dying out.
(b) Because the dead boy was his relative.
(c) Because he feels responsible for the boy's death.
(d) Because he does not like the new vicar.
12. Jim is concerned about Keetah because
(a) She is pregnant
(b) She is still engaged to Gordon.
(c) She is very sick
(d) She is worried about her sister.
13. What does the vicar discover will take him many hours in a day?
(a) Staying alive, fed, and clean.
(b) Repairing the damage to the vicarage.
(c) Lighting the fire in the vicarage.
(d) Studying the Indians' language.
14. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
(a) He claims the older man who last held the office was hard.
(b) He claims an older man would not wait ten days to come investigate a child's death.
(c) He claims the RCMP officers are always young and hard.
(d) He claims the Indians always know who is coming before they arrive.
15. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
(a) Begging for what he needs.
(b) Rolling up his shirtsleeves.
(c) Trading for what he needs.
(d) Outsmarting the Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new feeling is Mark experiencing in the village?
2. At the end of the chapter, what is revealed in Mark Brian's eyes?
3. Who are the doctor and the Bishop discussing?
4. Families gather at the end of the salmon run to
5. What is dumped into the the center of the stream by the villagers?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)