|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
(a) That Peter is the only white teacher.
(b) That Peter is the village carver.
(c) That Peter lives in the cemetery.
(d) That Peter lives in the vicarage.
2. Why does Caleb feel Mark should be sorry for the Indians?
(a) Because they need salvation.
(b) Because they must teach him everything.
(c) Because they are so uncivilized.
(d) Because they must endure his presence on their land.
3. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
(a) She has white hair.
(b) She has a toothless smile.
(c) She has a wrinkled face.
(d) She has gnarled hands.
4. How does Jim know that the RCMP officer, Constable Pearson, will be young and hard?
(a) He claims the Indians always know who is coming before they arrive.
(b) He claims the RCMP officers are always young and hard.
(c) He claims the older man who last held the office was hard.
(d) He claims an older man would not wait ten days to come investigate a child's death.
5. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
(a) Chief Eddy and Gordon.
(b) Keetah and Marta.
(c) Sam and Ellie.
(d) The teacher.
6. What large item do Mark and Jim have to transport on the boat?
(a) A cardboard box.
(b) A trunk.
(c) An organ.
(d) A coffin.
7. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
8. What activity contributes to Mark Brian's feeling of responsibility to the Indians?
(a) Delivering gifts to the children in the villages.
(b) Repairing the Bishop's boat.
(c) Playing the organ in the church.
(d) Caring for Calamity Bill.
9. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He has proven worthy of them.
(b) He has suffered with them.
(c) He has promised to help them in return.
(d) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
10. With his new winter hat on, the new vicar looks like
(a) A snowman.
(b) An egg.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A bank robber.
11. What relationship did Mark Brian observe in the hunters of the tribe?
(a) The boss-laborer relationship.
(b) The brotherly relationship.
(c) The father-son relationship.
(d) The warrior-to-warrior relationship.
12. What happened to Keetah's sister?
(a) She admitted to stealing the mask and was killed for it.
(b) She left the tribe and became a white man's wife.
(c) She died of an overdose after being abandoned by her fiance.
(d) She returned to the tribe in shame.
13. What does the doctor hope the Bishop will do for the young man?
(a) He hopes the Bishop will train the young man well.
(b) He hopes the Bishop will warn the young man of his condition.
(c) He hopes the Bishop will nurse the young man to health.
(d) He hopes the Bishop will pray for the young man.
14. The Bishop plans to send the young man to his hardest parish because
(a) He will learn how to speak the Indian languages.
(b) He will learn a great deal quickly.
(c) He will decide to return to his home and seek medical help.
(d) He will think the village has caused his illness.
15. What is the Indian name of the village where Mark Brian is sent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and Mark witness on the river?
2. The female salmon they watch is too weak to fight
3. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
4. The doctor reveals the young man's illness to
5. The young ordinand has less than two years to
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)