|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mark Brian do when the Bishop offers to send a new vicarage?
(a) He asks to leave the island instead.
(b) He refuses the offer.
(c) He gladly accepts the offer.
(d) He asks for a new church instead.
2. What formality does Jim help Mark leave behind?
(a) The formal use of the word "we."
(b) Speaking Kwakwala.
(c) The formal use of the word "you."
(d) Shaking hands.
3. What animal's image is carved above the Bible?
(a) The eagle.
(b) The owl.
(c) The lamb.
(d) The grizzly bear.
4. Whose death does Mark Brian experience in Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Hudson.
(b) Gordon's mother.
(c) Keetah's sister.
5. Ellie is
(a) The young daughter of Sam, the white school teacher.
(b) The young daughter of Peter, the poorest man in the village.
(c) The young daughter of Sam, the poorest man in the village.
(d) The young daughter of Jim Wallace.
6. The illness will not allow the man to live longer than
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
7. The vicar believes he will have to begin his work by
(a) Outsmarting the Indians.
(b) Begging for what he needs.
(c) Trading for what he needs.
(d) Rolling up his shirtsleeves.
8. Jim describes his people through several
(a) Legends and stories.
(d) Lengthy historical discussions.
9. The chief teaches Mark Brian to say
(a) Good Morning.
(c) How do you do.
(d) God bless you.
10. Mark Brian believes the swimmer's fate is
(a) A disgrace.
(b) A triumph.
(c) A joke.
(d) A tragedy.
11. How do the Indians respond to Mark Brian's attempts to learn their language?
(a) They are amused and indulgent.
(b) They are offended.
(c) They are amused and mock him openly.
(d) They are unimpressed by his efforts.
12. Why is the Indian woman wailing outside the vicarage?
(a) She is a professional mourner.
(b) She is afraid of Mark Brian.
(c) She claims to have seen ghosts.
(d) She is afraid of the new Indian Affairs agent.
13. Mark discovers he has no talent for
14. Craven often describes the Indians' eyes and faces as
15. How does Mark Brian approach the village of Kingcome?
(a) On a hydro-plane.
(b) On a forty-foot boat.
(c) On a forty-foot raft.
(d) On a rowboat.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young man will be sent to Kingcome to
2. When the men deliver the organ to the church
3. In wintertime, how were the beliefs of the tribe relived?
4. What season marks the start of Chapter 11?
5. What do Jim and Mark witness on the river?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)