|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose death does Mark Brian experience in Chapter 11?
(b) Keetah's sister.
(c) Mrs. Hudson.
(d) Gordon's mother.
2. As the weather turns colder, Mark and Jim face challenges with
(a) The boat.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The organ.
(d) The constable.
3. The Bishop plans to send the young man to his hardest parish because
(a) He will think the village has caused his illness.
(b) He will learn how to speak the Indian languages.
(c) He will decide to return to his home and seek medical help.
(d) He will learn a great deal quickly.
4. Why does Jim plan to get drunk after the funeral?
(a) Because he feels responsible for the boy's death.
(b) Because he does not like the new vicar.
(c) Because the dead boy was his relative.
(d) Because the Indians are dying out.
5. Ellie is
(a) The young daughter of Sam, the white school teacher.
(b) The young daughter of Jim Wallace.
(c) The young daughter of Peter, the poorest man in the village.
(d) The young daughter of Sam, the poorest man in the village.
6. The Bishop believes the men of the village have offered to help Mark build the vicarage because
(a) He has promised to help them in return.
(b) He is too ill to build the vicarage.
(c) He has proven worthy of them.
(d) He has suffered with them.
7. In the painting of Christ,
(a) Christ is Indian and appears to know their sadness.
(b) Christ is white and appears remote.
(c) Christ is looking away as if unconcerned.
(d) Christ is extending his hand to the lambs.
8. The oolachon is
(a) The salmon.
(b) The blue whale.
(c) The river otter.
(d) The candlefish.
9. What question does Mrs. Hudson ask Mark Brian as her family leaves the village in shame?
(a) What can you do to help us?
(b) What have you done to us?
(c) Why have you betrayed us?
(d) Why should we forgive you?
10. Jim Wallace wants the vicar to know that he is
(a) Employed by the church.
(b) Not willing to be friends with a white man.
(c) The only Indian in the village who is not free.
(d) Free in the village.
11. What is Calamity Bill known for?
(a) He wears two sets of long underwear and only changes one.
(b) He is said to hide in the bush and scare the women.
(c) He has a personal relationship with the Archbishop.
(d) He once road into battle with Custer.
12. Who are Mark Brian's first friends in the village?
(a) Sam and his wife.
(b) Jim Wallace and Chief Eddy.
(c) Marta Stephens and Ellie.
(d) Two children who visit the vicarage.
13. Chief Eddy and Jim seem to have what kind of opinions about Mark Brian?
14. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
(a) Chief Eddy and Gordon.
(b) Sam and Ellie.
(c) The teacher.
(d) Keetah and Marta.
15. Why didn't the hunters discuss their plans aloud?
(a) The warrior spirits would try to trick the game into hiding.
(b) The animal spirits would hear, and the game would hide.
(c) The women of the tribe would try to hunt the game first.
(d) The animal spirits would conspire to harm the hunters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the novel set?
2. The Bishop plans to
3. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
4. The Bishop reveals that Kingcome is
5. What happens to the salmon, or swimmer, at the end of his journey?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)