|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinguishes Marta Stephens as very old?
(a) She has gnarled hands.
(b) She has white hair.
(c) She has a toothless smile.
(d) She has a wrinkled face.
2. Why didn't the hunters discuss their plans aloud?
(a) The women of the tribe would try to hunt the game first.
(b) The warrior spirits would try to trick the game into hiding.
(c) The animal spirits would conspire to harm the hunters.
(d) The animal spirits would hear, and the game would hide.
3. What fact associates Mark Brian with "the swimmer?"
(a) He wants to keep moving up the river.
(b) He is an excellent swimmer.
(c) He loves fishing.
(d) He has a twin sister.
4. Who is Tagoona?
(a) Tagoona is a storm that symbolizes difficult times for the Indians.
(b) Tagoona is the mythical brother who settled the tribe.
(c) Tagoona is an Eskimo who becomes an ordained priest.
(d) Tagoona is the first white priest to live among the Eskimos.
5. What large item do Mark and Jim have to transport on the boat?
(a) A coffin.
(b) An organ.
(c) A cardboard box.
(d) A trunk.
6. What season marks the start of Chapter 11?
7. Mark and Jim share a picnic with
(a) Keetah and Marta.
(b) Sam and Ellie.
(c) Chief Eddy and Gordon.
(d) The teacher.
8. What observation does T. P. Wallace make about Mark Brian?
(a) He did not seem to understand the accepted customs.
(b) He constantly said "we" when he meant "I."
(c) He respected the Indians' customs.
(d) He was encouraging the Indian sons to leave the tribe.
9. Who did Constable Pearson bring with him to the village?
(a) His mother.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) His superior officer.
(d) His best friend.
10. What happened to Keetah's sister?
(a) She left the tribe and became a white man's wife.
(b) She admitted to stealing the mask and was killed for it.
(c) She returned to the tribe in shame.
(d) She died of an overdose after being abandoned by her fiance.
11. Peter wonders how long it will take the vicar to discover
(a) That Peter lives in the vicarage.
(b) That Peter is the only white teacher.
(c) That Peter is the village carver.
(d) That Peter lives in the cemetery.
12. What happens when the government forbade the Indian dance-potlatches?
(a) Many Indians abandoned the tribe.
(b) Many great rituals were lost.
(c) Many Indians found pride in their rituals again.
(d) Many Indians were finally able to marry outside the tribe.
13. When the men deliver the organ to the church
(a) It draws a crowd.
(b) It falls apart.
(c) It plays beautifully.
(d) It does not work.
14. Why is Mark Brian going to Alert Bay?
(a) He is going to visit his sister.
(b) He wants to visit Gordon and the boys.
(c) He wants to see if he can get Ellie away from her parents.
(d) H wants to see if he can get Keetah away from her white fiance.
15. Mark finds himself tending for an orphaned
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim describes his people through several
2. Why is Keetah's family leaving the tribe to live in a deserted village?
3. In wintertime, how were the beliefs of the tribe relived?
4. Whose return to the village has sparked Mark's interest?
5. What does Mark Brian discover about himself at the start of the chapter?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)