|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound brightens John's mood?
2. What does Harriet look at when Margaret leaves for the second time?
3. How does Maggie want Margaret to prepare the egg?
4. What does Margaret offer to clean for Jack?
5. Why does John not hear Margaret when she tells him about her housekeeping skills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Margaret's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the one she is at the end.
1. What did Margaret hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Margaret's ideas about life?
3. How has Margaret's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In what way do the characters' alter egos represent their true selves? What do you think would happen if one of the characters spoke out how they truly felt? How difficult is it to be your true self.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)