|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Harriet's alter ego?
2. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
3. What does Hetty encourage Harriet to make Margaret feel?
4. Why does Harriet think John married Margaret?
5. Why does Harriet reject William's gift of flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Margaret and Hetty vow to each other before they leave?
2. What does Hetty tell Harriet she represents?
3. Why does John stop listening to Margaret?
4. How does John act towards Margaret when Harriet leaves?
5. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
6. How does William disappoint Harriet when he first meets Margaret?
7. What advice does Mr. Bush give Margaret?
8. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
9. How does John decide to proceed in his relationship with Harriet?
10. Why does Harriet want William to flatter Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Margaret's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the one she is at the end.
1. What did Margaret hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Margaret's ideas about life?
3. How has Margaret's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In what way do the characters' alter egos represent their true selves? What do you think would happen if one of the characters spoke out how they truly felt? How difficult is it to be your true self.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)