|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Magaret say is lovely about Harriet?
2. What kind of mood does William say Harriet is in?
3. What does Harriet want Margaret to bellieve?
4. Who does Hetty think can read her thoughts?
5. What is William Sterling's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the group think about as the orchestra plays?
2. What do Margaret and Harriet's alter egos say to each other when they first meet in the opening scene?
3. What does John make William see in the final chapter?
4. What advice does Mr. Bush give Margaret?
5. Why is Harriet married to William?
6. How does Harriet stop William from buying the portrait?
7. Why does William still want to pay John for his work?
8. How does Mr. Brush persuade William to buy the portrait?
9. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
10. What does the willow tree in John's portrait indicate to Harriet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Mr. Brush's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would Mr. Brush's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
Essay Topic 2
Why did William marry Harriet? How will the marriage affect both parties if they don't get out of it soon?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)