|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hetty and Jack reminisce about?
2. What does William tell John he wants to learn about one day?
3. Why does Margaret say John is lucky to have her as a wife?
4. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
5. What does Harriet discourage William from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
2. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
3. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
4. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
5. How does Margaret defy Maggie at the beginning of Act 2?
6. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
7. How does John try to flatter William?
8. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
9. How does Gesternberg symbolize John as a starving artist?
10. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Gerstenbeg use so few settings? How does Gerstenberg create a world away from the few settings she uses? What colors and objects does Gerstenberg use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Why did William marry Harriet? How will the marriage affect both parties if they don't get out of it soon?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)