|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet say her life is?
2. Which two characters are left alone at the table?
3. How does Hetty think Harriet should charm William?
4. What is the name of the woman John once loved?
5. What does Hetty tell Harriet she embodies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Brush want to help John?
2. How does John act towards Margaret when Harriet leaves?
3. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
4. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
5. Why does John say Harriet declined her portrait?
6. What does the willow tree in John's portrait indicate to Harriet?
7. How does Margaret react when John complains about his coffee?
8. What happens when John moves towards Harriet?
9. Why does Margaret's job upset John?
10. Why does Hetty say she is the one who has suffered in Harriet's marriage to William?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What is William's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would William's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gerstenberg use her characters to express a life beyond the locations? How is the location used to express elements such as theme and character?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)