|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What s the setting of the opening act?
2. What does Harriet berate William for not doing?
3. What does John say he would prefer to be doing?
4. What is name of the character that first enters the scene?
5. What signals Jack and Hetty to stop flirting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John say Harriet declined her portrait?
2. What does Hetty tell Harriet she represents?
3. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
4. How does Margaret defy Maggie at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
6. Why does Margaret say Harriet rejected the portrait?
7. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
8. How does Margaret get her own way regarding Harriet?
9. Describe Maximillian.
10. How does Margaret prove a problem as John paints Harriet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Gerstenberg's argument.
1. How does she introduce her ideas?
2. How does she construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Gerstenberg's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Gerstenberg gives three of her main characters alter ego's with names that she has abbreviated from his or her's full name. For example, Harriet becomes Hetty. Pick one of the following characters and his or her alter ego and examine what meaning his or her's name brings to the two sides of his or her's personality:
Essay Topic 3
Why is Margaret so jealous of Harriet? What problems does Margaret's jealousy cause?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)