|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say he would prefer to be doing?
2. What does Hetty tell Harriet she has given love for?
3. What is the name of William's wife?
4. What does Harriet want Hettie to show the world?
5. How does Hetty think Harriet should charm William?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the group think about as the orchestra plays?
2. What does William tell John about his background?
3. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
4. Why does Hetty stay with John?
5. How does Harriet try to avoid scandal from the situation between her, John and Margaret?
6. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
7. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
8. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
9. What does John make William see in the final chapter?
10. Why does John stop listening to Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the play's premise? Why are premises so important to a story?
Essay Topic 2
Gerstenberg gives three of her main characters alter ego's with names that she has abbreviated from his or her's full name. For example, Harriet becomes Hetty. Pick one of the following characters and his or her alter ego and examine what meaning his or her's name brings to the two sides of his or her's personality:
Essay Topic 3
Why did William marry Harriet? How will the marriage affect both parties if they don't get out of it soon?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)