|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William do that disgusts Hetty?
2. What kind of toast does Harriet order for tea?
3. What does Hetty say she does while Harriet plays the role of society woman?
4. Who does Harriet tell the mirror she hates?
5. What does Hetty encourage Harriet to make Margaret feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harriet persuade Margaret to leave the apartment?
2. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
3. What problems do John and Margaret have in Act 2?
4. Why does Margaret say Harriet rejected the portrait?
5. Why does Margaret stop John from eating the fruit in the bowl?
6. What advice does Mr. Bush give Margaret?
7. How does Mr. Brush want to help John?
8. What does the play's ending say about the chronological setting of the play?
9. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
10. What happens when John moves towards Harriet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)