|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harriet tell the mirror she hates?
2. What does Harriet discourage William from doing?
3. What does Hetty tell Harriet she embodies?
4. What does Margaret claim is the reason she and John are leaving the dining area?
5. What does Harriet want Hettie to show the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret react when John complains about his coffee?
2. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
3. How does William disappoint Harriet when he first meets Margaret?
4. How does Mr. Brush want to help John?
5. Why does Margaret's job upset John?
6. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
7. How does John decide to proceed in his relationship with Harriet?
8. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
9. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
10. Why is John's alter ego, Jack, in shock when he first appears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerstenberg gives three of her main characters alter ego's with names that she has abbreviated from his or her's full name. For example, Harriet becomes Hetty. Pick one of the following characters and his or her alter ego and examine what meaning his or her's name brings to the two sides of his or her's personality:
Essay Topic 2
Why did William marry Harriet? How will the marriage affect both parties if they don't get out of it soon?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gerstenberg use her characters to express a life beyond the locations? How is the location used to express elements such as theme and character?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)