|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hetty think Harriet should encourage William to do?
2. Who does Harriet tell the mirror she hates?
3. Who does William attempt to bribe?
4. What kind of formal education does William tell he had?
5. How does John compliment Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
2. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
3. How does John react when Margaret asks him about Harriet?
4. How do Margaret and William try to sell a portrait to William?
5. Why does Hetty say she is the one who has suffered in Harriet's marriage to William?
6. Why does Margaret stop John from eating the fruit in the bowl?
7. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
8. What problems do John and Margaret have in Act 2?
9. Why does Harriet want William to flatter Margaret?
10. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gerstenberg use her characters to express a life beyond the locations? How is the location used to express elements such as theme and character?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What is the play's premise? Why are premises so important to a story?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)