|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William tell John he wants to learn about one day?
2. Why is Maggie angry that Harriet declines the offer of tea?
3. What does William do that disgusts Hetty?
4. What is the name of the woman John once loved?
5. What does Margaret come into the bathroom to retrieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Brush want to help John?
2. How does John try to flatter William?
3. How does John decide to proceed in his relationship with Harriet?
4. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
5. Why does Margaret's job upset John?
6. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
7. Why does Hetty stay with John?
8. Why does Hetty say she is the one who has suffered in Harriet's marriage to William?
9. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
10. What does William tell John about his background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Gerstenbeg use so few settings? How does Gerstenberg create a world away from the few settings she uses? What colors and objects does Gerstenberg use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)