|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harriet think John married Margaret?
2. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
3. Who does Hetty think can read her thoughts?
4. How do Harriet and Margaret react when they see each other?
5. What is William Sterling's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Brush persuade William to buy the portrait?
2. How does Margaret react to seeing John and Harriet kissing?
3. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
4. How does Harriet try to avoid scandal from the situation between her, John and Margaret?
5. Why does Margaret say Harriet rejected the portrait?
6. How does Harriet persuade Margaret to leave the apartment?
7. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
8. How does Harriet stop William from buying the portrait?
9. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
10. How does Margaret defy Maggie at the beginning of Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Margaret's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the one she is at the end.
1. What did Margaret hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Margaret's ideas about life?
3. How has Margaret's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the story? How do turning points work to keep a reader interested in the story? When does Gerstenberg use her turning points and why does she use them at those particular moments?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)