|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margaret say John makes $4,000 painting?
2. How does John compliment Harriet?
3. What does Harriet tell Hetty she saved her from?
4. What does William say his only desire is?
5. Why does Margaret say John is lucky to have her as a wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John say Harriet declined her portrait?
2. Why does Hetty stay with John?
3. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
4. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
5. How does Margaret react when John complains about his coffee?
6. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
7. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
8. How does John react when Margaret asks him about Harriet?
9. What does the play's ending say about the chronological setting of the play?
10. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Gerstenbeg use so few settings? How does Gerstenberg create a world away from the few settings she uses? What colors and objects does Gerstenberg use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What is Mr. Brush's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would Mr. Brush's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)