Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hetty and Jack reminisce about?
2. What does William tell John he wants to learn about one day?
3. Why does Margaret say John is lucky to have her as a wife?
4. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
5. What does Harriet discourage William from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
2. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
3. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
4. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
5. How does Margaret defy Maggie at the beginning of Act 2?
6. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
7. How does John try to flatter William?
8. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
9. How does Gesternberg symbolize John as a starving artist?
10. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)