|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hetty and Jack reminisce about?
2. What does William tell John he wants to learn about one day?
3. Why does Margaret say John is lucky to have her as a wife?
4. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
5. What does Harriet discourage William from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
2. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
3. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
4. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
5. How does Margaret defy Maggie at the beginning of Act 2?
6. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
7. How does John try to flatter William?
8. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
9. How does Gesternberg symbolize John as a starving artist?
10. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
Essay Topic 1
What is William's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would William's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
Essay Topic 2
Why did William marry Harriet? How will the marriage affect both parties if they don't get out of it soon?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the story? How do turning points work to keep a reader interested in the story? When does Gerstenberg use her turning points and why does she use them at those particular moments?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)