|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say he would like to make Harriet pay for?
2. What does John say he would prefer to be doing?
3. Who does William attempt to bribe?
4. Which of the following words best describes Margaret's view of life?
5. What does William apologize to Harriet for being?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret react to seeing John and Harriet kissing?
2. How does William disappoint Harriet when he first meets Margaret?
3. How do Margaret and William try to sell a portrait to William?
4. What does John make William see in the final chapter?
5. How do Harriet and Hetty's reactions differ when they see John?
6. What do Margaret and Harriet's alter egos say to each other when they first meet in the opening scene?
7. What happens when John moves towards Harriet?
8. How does Harriet try to dissuade Harriet from buying her portrait?
9. Why does John say Harriet declined her portrait?
10. Why does Harriet want William to flatter Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the play's premise? Why are premises so important to a story?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Gerstenbeg use so few settings? How does Gerstenberg create a world away from the few settings she uses? What colors and objects does Gerstenberg use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
Essay Topic 3
What is William's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would William's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)