|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William apologize to Harriet for being?
2. What does William hand Harriet as a gift?
3. What is John's occupation?
4. What does William tell John he wants to learn about one day?
5. What is the name of William's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John say Harriet declined her portrait?
2. What moment in Act 2 suggests John and Margaret's marriage is in trouble?
3. How does John decide to proceed in his relationship with Harriet?
4. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
5. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
6. What happens when John moves towards Harriet?
7. What problems do John and Margaret have in Act 2?
8. How does Margaret get her own way regarding Harriet?
9. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
10. How does William disappoint Harriet when he first meets Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is William's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would William's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Gerstenberg's argument.
1. How does she introduce her ideas?
2. How does she construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Gerstenberg's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)