|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret want someone to invite her and John to dinner?
2. What is the name of William's wife?
3. What signals Jack and Hetty to stop flirting?
4. What does Hetty say she does while Harriet plays the role of society woman?
5. How does Hetty think Harriet should charm William?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hetty stay with John?
2. How does John act towards Margaret when Harriet leaves?
3. How does William disappoint Harriet when he first meets Margaret?
4. Why does John say Harriet declined her portrait?
5. How does Harriet try to dissuade Harriet from buying her portrait?
6. How does Harriet persuade Margaret to leave the apartment?
7. What does Jack want to do as he admires Harriet's form?
8. What do Margaret and Harriet's alter egos say to each other when they first meet in the opening scene?
9. What advice does Mr. Bush give Margaret?
10. What does the willow tree in John's portrait indicate to Harriet?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Margaret so jealous of Harriet? What problems does Margaret's jealousy cause?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Margaret's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the one she is at the end.
1. What did Margaret hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Margaret's ideas about life?
3. How has Margaret's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)