|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie urge Margaret to ask Harriet?
2. What does Harriet want Hettie to show the world?
3. Who does Hetty think can read her thoughts?
4. How does Hetty think Harriet should charm William?
5. What is the name of William's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Brush want to help John?
2. How does Harriet try to avoid scandal from the situation between her, John and Margaret?
3. What does William tell John about his background?
4. What does Jack want to do as he admires Harriet's form?
5. How does Mr. Brush persuade William to buy the portrait?
6. How does Margaret get her own way regarding Harriet?
7. How do Harriet and Hetty's reactions differ when they see John?
8. What problems do John and Margaret have in Act 2?
9. What does the willow tree in John's portrait indicate to Harriet?
10. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)