|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hetty tell Harriet she embodies?
2. What do Hetty and Jack reminisce about?
3. What does Harriet want Margaret to bellieve?
4. What does William say his only desire is?
5. What kind of toast does Harriet order for tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
2. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
3. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
4. What does Hetty tell Harriet she represents?
5. How does Harriet try to dissuade Harriet from buying her portrait?
6. What do Margaret and Harriet's alter egos say to each other when they first meet in the opening scene?
7. Why is Harriet married to William?
8. How does Harriet persuade Margaret to leave the apartment?
9. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
10. How does John react when Margaret asks him about Harriet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Gerstenbeg use so few settings? How does Gerstenberg create a world away from the few settings she uses? What colors and objects does Gerstenberg use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Margaret's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the one she is at the end.
1. What did Margaret hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Margaret's ideas about life?
3. How has Margaret's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)