|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet invite Margaret and John for?
2. What does Hetty tell Harriet she has given love for?
3. What does William do that disgusts Hetty?
4. What does Hetty think Harriet should encourage William to do?
5. Who does Harriet tell the mirror she hates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret prove a problem as John paints Harriet?
2. Why is Harriet married to William?
3. How does Margaret react when John complains about his coffee?
4. How do Margaret and William try to sell a portrait to William?
5. How does Harriet try to avoid scandal from the situation between her, John and Margaret?
6. Why does Hetty stay with John?
7. How does Mr. Brush want to help John?
8. What does the willow tree in John's portrait indicate to Harriet?
9. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
10. How does John react when Margaret asks him about Harriet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What is William's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would William's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
Essay Topic 2Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)