|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William do that disgusts Hetty?
2. What does Harriet tell Hetty she saved her from?
3. What does Hetty tell Harriet she embodies?
4. Why does Margaret want someone to invite her and John to dinner?
5. What kind of formal education does William tell he had?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
2. Why does William still want to pay John for his work?
3. How do Harriet and Hetty's reactions differ when they see John?
4. What moment in Act 2 suggests John and Margaret's marriage is in trouble?
5. What does William tell John about his background?
6. Why is Harriet married to William?
7. What does the willow tree in John's portrait indicate to Harriet?
8. What happens when John moves towards Harriet?
9. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
10. How does Harriet try to dissuade Harriet from buying her portrait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the story? How do turning points work to keep a reader interested in the story? When does Gerstenberg use her turning points and why does she use them at those particular moments?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mr. Brush's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would Mr. Brush's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Margaret so jealous of Harriet? What problems does Margaret's jealousy cause?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)