Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hetty and Jack reminisce about?
2. What does William tell John he wants to learn about one day?
3. Why does Margaret say John is lucky to have her as a wife?
4. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
5. What does Harriet discourage William from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
2. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
3. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
4. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
5. How does Margaret defy Maggie at the beginning of Act 2?
6. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
7. How does John try to flatter William?
8. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
9. How does Gesternberg symbolize John as a starving artist?
10. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
Compare Margaret's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the one she is at the end.
1. What did Margaret hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Margaret's ideas about life?
3. How has Margaret's character changed by the end of the book?
In what way do the characters' alter egos represent their true selves? What do you think would happen if one of the characters spoke out how they truly felt? How difficult is it to be your true self.
How does Gerstenberg use her characters to express a life beyond the locations? How is the location used to express elements such as theme and character?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)