|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harriet think John married Margaret?
2. What kind of formal education does William tell he had?
3. Why does Margaret say John is lucky to have her as a wife?
4. What does Margaret claim is the reason she and John are leaving the dining area?
5. What do Hetty and Jack reminisce about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret prove a problem as John paints Harriet?
2. Why does Harriet want William to flatter Margaret?
3. How does Harriet try to avoid scandal from the situation between her, John and Margaret?
4. What does Jack want to do as he admires Harriet's form?
5. What do Maggie and Hetty both say they want?
6. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
7. Why is Harriet married to William?
8. How does William disappoint Harriet when he first meets Margaret?
9. How does Margaret react to seeing John and Harriet kissing?
10. How does Margaret get her own way regarding Harriet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Gerstenberg's argument.
1. How does she introduce her ideas?
2. How does she construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Gerstenberg's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)