|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet say her life is?
2. What is the name of the woman John once loved?
3. What does Margaret claim is the reason she and John are leaving the dining area?
4. Who does Harriet tell the mirror she hates?
5. Why does Harriet reject William's gift of flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Brush want to help John?
2. What problems do John and Margaret have in Act 2?
3. How does Harriet try to avoid scandal from the situation between her, John and Margaret?
4. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
5. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
6. Why does Hetty say she is the one who has suffered in Harriet's marriage to William?
7. How does Margaret react when John complains about his coffee?
8. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
9. How does William disappoint Harriet when he first meets Margaret?
10. What does William tell John about his background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the story? How do turning points work to keep a reader interested in the story? When does Gerstenberg use her turning points and why does she use them at those particular moments?
Essay Topic 3
Why does John dislike his work at the gallery? How can John use his work to become a more successful painter? How important do you think it is for an artist to understand the business side of their work?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)