|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet say her life is?
2. What does Jack say he is shocked about?
3. What is the name of the woman John once loved?
4. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
5. What does Jack say he would like to make Harriet pay for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Margaret and William try to sell a portrait to William?
2. How does Harriet stop William from buying the portrait?
3. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
4. What do Margaret and Hetty vow to each other before they leave?
5. Why does Margaret stop John from eating the fruit in the bowl?
6. What does William tell John about his background?
7. Why does Hetty say she is the one who has suffered in Harriet's marriage to William?
8. How does Margaret react to seeing John and Harriet kissing?
9. Why is John's alter ego, Jack, in shock when he first appears?
10. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is William's role in the play? Why does he not have an alter ego like the other main characters? How would William's role in the play change if he did have an alter ego?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
In what way do the characters' alter egos represent their true selves? What do you think would happen if one of the characters spoke out how they truly felt? How difficult is it to be your true self.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)