|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of toast does Harriet order for tea?
2. What does Harriet say her life is?
3. What does Hetty tell Harriet she has given love for?
4. Why does Harriet think John married Margaret?
5. What does Harriet want Hettie to show the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
2. How does John try to flatter William?
3. Why does John say Harriet declined her portrait?
4. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
5. What moment in Act 2 suggests John and Margaret's marriage is in trouble?
6. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
7. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
8. Why is Margaret angry at John's attitude towards their marriage?
9. Why does William still want to pay John for his work?
10. How does Harriet try to dissuade Harriet from buying her portrait?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Gerstenbeg use so few settings? How does Gerstenberg create a world away from the few settings she uses? What colors and objects does Gerstenberg use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Margaret so jealous of Harriet? What problems does Margaret's jealousy cause?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)