|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of William's wife?
2. What does William do that disgusts Hetty?
3. What does Harriet say her life is?
4. What is the name of John's wife?
5. What kind of formal education does William tell he had?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Margaret and William try to sell a portrait to William?
2. Why does John stop listening to Margaret?
3. Why does Margaret think John is lucky to have her as a wife?
4. How does Harriet persuade Margaret to leave the apartment?
5. What does John make William see in the final chapter?
6. What problems do John and Margaret have in Act 2?
7. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
8. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
9. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
10. What do Margaret and Hetty vow to each other before they leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why did William marry Harriet? How will the marriage affect both parties if they don't get out of it soon?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)