|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William say his only desire is?
(a) To please Harriet.
(b) To be liked.
(c) To become independent.
(d) To earn money.
2. Who does William attempt to bribe?
(a) The manager.
(b) The head waiter.
(c) The receptionist.
(d) The bellboy.
3. What is the name of Jack's alter ego?
4. What kind of mood does William say Harriet is in?
5. What is the name of Margaret's counterpart?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harriet think John married Margaret?
2. Why does Harriet reject William's gift of flowers?
3. What does William do that disgusts Hetty?
4. Who does Hetty say is the only person Harriet wants to look beautiful for?
5. What sound fills the hotel and forces the characters to sit in silence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
2. How does Mr. Brush persuade William to buy the portrait?
3. Why does Margaret say Harriet rejected the portrait?
4. What do Margaret and Hetty vow to each other before they leave?
5. How does Harriet stop William from buying the portrait?
6. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
7. How does Margaret defy Maggie at the beginning of Act 2?
8. What does Hetty tell Harriet she represents?
9. Why is Margaret angry at John's attitude towards their marriage?
10. In what way is William's character the foil to the other characters?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)