|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack say he would like to make Harriet pay for?
(a) Leaving John.
(b) Making John look a fool.
(c) Marrying William.
(d) Fooling herself.
2. Who does Hetty say is the only person Harriet wants to look beautiful for?
3. What is the name of the woman John once loved?
4. What does John say he would prefer to be doing?
(a) Watching a film.
(b) Painting in his studio.
(c) Listening to the radio.
(d) Reading in bed.
5. How does John compliment Harriet?
(a) He comments on her sense of fashion.
(b) He comments on her beauty.
(c) He comments on her lovely eyes.
(d) He comments on her taste.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harriet tell the mirror she hates?
2. What does Hetty tell Harriet she has given love for?
3. What is the name of John's wife?
4. Which of the following words best describes Margaret's view of life?
5. What does Harriet discourage William from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John try to flatter William?
2. How does Mr. Brush persuade William to buy the portrait?
3. Why does John hate his job at the art gallery?
4. In what way is William's character the foil to the other characters?
5. Why does Margaret think John is lucky to have her as a wife?
6. What happens when John moves towards Harriet?
7. Why does Margaret's job upset John?
8. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
9. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
10. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)