|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John's occupation?
(a) A banker.
(b) A writer.
(c) An artist.
(d) A journalist.
2. Who does William attempt to bribe?
(a) The head waiter.
(b) The manager.
(c) The bellboy.
(d) The receptionist.
3. What is the only thing Harriet likes about William?
(a) His money.
(b) His manners.
(c) His friends.
(d) His family.
4. Why is Margaret trying to talk to some wealthy art patrons?
(a) To secure work for John.
(b) To review John's work.
(c) To get a loan for John.
(d) To find art space for John.
5. What does Harriet want Hettie to show the world?
(a) Harriet's shallowness.
(b) William's shallowness.
(c) The nation's hypocrisy.
(d) Harriet's real self.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hetty think Harriet should charm William?
2. What is the name of William's wife?
3. What is William Sterling's occupation?
4. Why does Margaret want someone to invite her and John to dinner?
5. What kind of formal education does William tell he had?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does William tell John about his background?
2. What does John make William see in the final chapter?
3. Why does Margaret say Harriet rejected the portrait?
4. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
5. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
6. How does Harriet try to avoid scandal from the situation between her, John and Margaret?
7. How does Margaret help John in the final section?
8. In what way is William's character the foil to the other characters?
9. How does Margaret surprise John in the final act?
10. What do Margaret and Harriet's alter egos say to each other when they first meet in the opening scene?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)