|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound fills the hotel and forces the characters to sit in silence?
(a) The hotel orchestra.
(b) A fire alarm.
(c) A police raid.
(d) The hotel sopranos.
2. What is the name of John's wife?
3. Which of the following words best describes Margaret's view of life?
4. Why does Harriet think John married Margaret?
(a) Out of spite.
(b) Out of love.
(c) Out of loneliness.
(d) Out of boredom.
5. Why is Maggie angry that Harriet declines the offer of tea?
(a) She wants to socialize.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) She wants money.
(d) She wants to meet William.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harriet reject William's gift of flowers?
2. Who does Hetty think can read her thoughts?
3. What kind of mood does William say Harriet is in?
4. What does Maggie represent?
5. What does William say his only desire is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William try but fail to please Harriet in the first act?
2. How does Harriet persuade Margaret to leave the apartment?
3. What does the play's ending say about the chronological setting of the play?
4. Why does Margaret stop John from eating the fruit in the bowl?
5. Why does Harriet want William to flatter Margaret?
6. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
7. What do Margaret and Harriet's alter egos say to each other when they first meet in the opening scene?
8. How does William react when Harriet tells him her real feelings from him?
9. Why does Margaret's job upset John?
10. Why is Hetty upset Harriet moves so close to William?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)