|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of toast does Harriet order for tea?
(a) Devil's toast.
(b) Fried toast.
(c) French toast.
(d) Cinnamon toast.
2. What is name of the character that first enters the scene?
(a) Harriet Banks.
(b) William Banks.
(c) John Caldwell.
(d) Margaret Caldwell.
3. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
(a) By buying and selling.
(b) By investing other people's money.
(c) By stepping on people.
(d) By learning as he went along.
4. What does John say he would prefer to be doing?
(a) Watching a film.
(b) Painting in his studio.
(c) Reading in bed.
(d) Listening to the radio.
5. What does Margaret claim is the reason she and John are leaving the dining area?
(a) Lack of atmosphere.
(b) Lack of money.
(c) The feeling they don't fit in.
(d) Poor service.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet tell Hetty she saved her from?
2. What is the name of William's wife?
3. What does Margaret come into the bathroom to retrieve?
4. What is the name of Margaret's counterpart?
5. What does Harriet discourage William from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Margaret and John almost get caught up in their lies in the opening act?
2. What does John tell Mr. Brush would help him paint better?
3. What does the play's ending say about the chronological setting of the play?
4. Why does Margaret say Harriet rejected the portrait?
5. Why does Maggie think John is taking his time over Harriet's portrait?
6. Why does Margaret think John is lucky to have her as a wife?
7. Why does William still want to pay John for his work?
8. How do John and Harriet and Jack and Hetty act when Margaret finally leaves them alone?
9. How does John act towards Margaret when Harriet leaves?
10. How does Harriet try to dissuade Harriet from buying her portrait?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)