|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hetty think Harriet should charm William?
(a) By ordering the best wine.
(b) By telling him he is handsome.
(c) By telling him she loved the flowers.
(d) By validating her love for him.
2. What does Jack say he is shocked about?
(a) The restaurant has no atmosphere.
(b) The food is so bad.
(c) John married Margaret.
(d) Harriet married William.
3. What does Harriet invite Margaret and John for?
(b) A drive.
4. What sound fills the hotel and forces the characters to sit in silence?
(a) The hotel sopranos.
(b) The hotel orchestra.
(c) A fire alarm.
(d) A police raid.
5. What signals Jack and Hetty to stop flirting?
(a) Harriet's indifference.
(b) Margaret's anger.
(c) The arrival of the waiter.
(d) The end of the music.
6. What does John say he would prefer to be doing?
(a) Reading in bed.
(b) Watching a film.
(c) Listening to the radio.
(d) Painting in his studio.
7. How does William say he has earned his wealth?
(a) By stepping on people.
(b) By buying and selling.
(c) By learning as he went along.
(d) By investing other people's money.
8. What kind of formal education does William tell he had?
(a) An art degree.
(b) A business degree.
(d) A science degree.
9. What does Harriet want Hettie to show the world?
(a) Harriet's real self.
(b) Harriet's shallowness.
(c) The nation's hypocrisy.
(d) William's shallowness.
10. What does Harriet tell Hetty she saved her from?
11. What does Hetty think Harriet should encourage William to do?
(a) Order the best food.
(b) Flatter Margaret.
(c) Flatter John.
(d) Buy a painting from John.
12. What does Harriet berate William for not doing?
(a) Tipping the bellboy.
(b) Ordering before they arrived.
(c) Securing a table.
(d) Inviting their friends.
13. Which two characters are left alone at the table?
(a) William and Margaret.
(b) Harriet and Margaret.
(c) John and William.
(d) John and Harriet.
14. What kind of toast does Harriet order for tea?
(a) Devil's toast.
(b) French toast.
(c) Fried toast.
(d) Cinnamon toast.
15. What does Maggie urge Margaret to ask Harriet?
(a) If Harriet still loves John.
(b) Give John a loan.
(c) Buy one of John's paintings.
(d) If Harriet wants to divorce William.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret want someone to invite her and John to dinner?
2. Which of the following words best describes Margaret's view of life?
3. What do Hetty and Jack reminisce about?
4. What does Hetty tell Harriet she embodies?
5. What is the only thing Harriet likes about William?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)