Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Act 1
1. How does Gesternberg symbolize John as a starving artist?
2. Why is John angry at Margaret in Act 1?
3. Why does Margaret think John is lucky to have her as a wife?
4. Why is Harriet married to William?
5. What does Harriet say to her alter ego, Hetty?
6. What does Hetty tell Harriet she represents?
7. Why does Hetty say she is the one who has suffered in Harriet's marriage to William?
This section contains 667 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)