|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex realize he is unable to do for Jamey during Jamey's upcoming trial?
2. What does Alex insist on learning about Jamey?
3. What happens twenty minutes into the first meeting between Alex and Jamey in jail?
4. Who was in charge of the research study that Jamey is previously a part of?
5. Which word best describes Alex and Jennifer's feelings about Jamey's case, following their conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. When speaking with Alex, how does Dwight describe Jamey's childhood?
2. When Heather meets with Souza in Chapter 15, what does she tell him about her lavender dress?
3. Describe the event that takes place in the middle of the night at the beginning of the story.
4. When Alex goes to meet Dr. Mainwaring at his office in Chapter 14 to discuss Jamey's treatment, what events occur?
5. What happens when Souza suggests a diminished capacity plea for Jamey's upcoming murder trial?
6. Who brings up the possibility that Jamey's current mental state could be due to drugs?
7. What causes the incident to take place outside of Alex's house in Chapter 12?
8. When Alex asks Souza about Jamey's progression of mental illness, what is Souza's response?
9. After the arrest of Ernie Radovic, where does Milo tell Alex to meet him and why does he choose this location?
10. When Alex meets Milo in Chapter 13 to discuss their friendship, what does Milo talk to Alex about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The element of surprise is used several times in the story when readers learn the truth about who is committed what crimes against Jamey and other characters in the story. Discuss how the element of surprise is used throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narration of the story. Who is the narrator of the story? Is the narrator dependable? How could the narrator lose credit for their thoughts and opinions in the story?
Essay Topic 3
When Alex visits the County jail where Jamey is being held, he is given a tour of the facilities by Patrick Montez, a social worker. How are mental health patients treated in jail? Discuss the problems with the jail, Jamey's health and family and what this means for Jamey's time spent in jail.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)