|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mainwaring leave for Alex on the day of their meeting?
2. Who was given custody of Jamey when his father died?
3. Who sets up a meeting between Alex and Mainwaring?
4. What unit is Jamey held in in jail?
5. When Mainwaring sees Alex at the hospital, what does he demand of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dwight inform Alex about Jamey's daily care in Chapter 11?
2. Describe the first meeting Alex has with Jamey at the jail.
3. After the arrest of Ernie Radovic, where does Milo tell Alex to meet him and why does he choose this location?
4. What does Jennifer believe is the cause of Jamey's current mental problems?
5. What causes the incident to take place outside of Alex's house in Chapter 12?
6. Who brings up the possibility that Jamey's current mental state could be due to drugs?
7. When Alex goes to meet Dr. Mainwaring at his office in Chapter 14 to discuss Jamey's treatment, what events occur?
8. Describe the incident that takes place outside of Alex's house in Chapter 12.
9. What emergency occurs in Chapter 17 that sends Alex rushing to the jail to see Jamey?
10. Describe the event that takes place in the middle of the night at the beginning of the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narration of the story. Who is the narrator of the story? Is the narrator dependable? How could the narrator lose credit for their thoughts and opinions in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Alex reflects on Jamey's past in Chapter 3. Alex's reflection informs readers about the relationship between Jamey and himself. When Alex learns that Jamey is in love with him, the relationship between the two stops. Explain how Alex's reaction and his motivation to help Jamey are or are not connected.
Essay Topic 3
Alex is given the chance to meet with Jamey in jail for the first time in Chapter 11. What happens during the meeting? What do the events that occur at the meeting show what may be going on with Jamey mentally? Give examples from the reading in order to support your answer.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)