|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While talking with Alex, who does Dr. Flowers receive an alarming phone call from?
2. What does Souza question Alex about Jamey?
3. Where does the meeting between Alex and Mainwaring take place?
4. What does Alex find out through research about people with Schizophrenia?
5. What happens after Jamey speaks one word to Alex during their meeting in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alex meets Milo in Chapter 13 to discuss their friendship, what does Milo talk to Alex about?
2. What causes the incident to take place outside of Alex's house in Chapter 12?
3. What is High Power and who is said to need it?
4. After the arrest of Ernie Radovic, where does Milo tell Alex to meet him and why does he choose this location?
5. When Heather meets with Souza in Chapter 15, what does she tell him about her lavender dress?
6. Who brings up the possibility that Jamey's current mental state could be due to drugs?
7. When Alex arrives home in the beginning of Chapter 14, who does he speak with and what does the conversation entail?
8. Describe Jamey and his past.
9. What does Jennifer believe is the cause of Jamey's current mental problems?
10. Describe the event that takes place in the middle of the night at the beginning of the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 21, Alex goes to the art gallery Voids Will Be Voids for a second time in order to get a better description of the person who bought Gary's art work. Who does Alex learn bought the art work? Discuss why this information is important to the murder case. Justify your answer with examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 2
Heather Cadmus speaks for the first time in the novel in Chapter 15 when she talks about the relationship she has with Jamey and how Jamey first viewed her as the evil stepmother. Explain the stereotype of the evil stepmother and how it was portrayed in "Over the Edge".
Essay Topic 3
Alex reflects on Jamey's past in Chapter 3. Alex's reflection informs readers about the relationship between Jamey and himself. When Alex learns that Jamey is in love with him, the relationship between the two stops. Explain how Alex's reaction and his motivation to help Jamey are or are not connected.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)