|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Souza say is to blame for Jamey's downfall?
2. What time does the phone call from Jamey occur at the beginning of the story?
3. Who leaves their job at Canyon Oaks?
4. While talking with Alex, who does Dr. Flowers receive an alarming phone call from?
5. What does Jennifer say schizophrenics do not perform?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alex arrives home in the beginning of Chapter 14, who does he speak with and what does the conversation entail?
2. Who is used as bait during a police stakeout and how?
3. After Alex reads Jack's diary and learns about the potential problems involving Bitter Canyon, what happens when Alex calls Lou and the Bitter Canyon bonds?
4. Describe the murder scene described by Souza in Chapter 5.
5. What does Alex and Milo learn about Bitter Canyon in Chapter 22?
6. Describe the meeting between Alex, Milo and Skaggs.
7. What do Milo and Alex suspect is Dwight and Heather's involvement in Jamey's current mental state?
8. Why did Alex insist on having a meeting with Souza in Chapter 30?
9. Who brings up the possibility that Jamey's current mental state could be due to drugs?
10. When speaking with Alex, how does Dwight describe Jamey's childhood?
Essay Topic 1
Milo learns about Gary's involvement with Jack Cadmus's diary in Chapter 32. How does Gary gain custody of Jack's diary? How would the story have been different if Gary had never gotten the diary? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing takes place currently throughout the story. When Jamey tries to commit suicide in jail he is said to have been talking during the incident. What does Jamey say? What explanation could there be as to what might happen later that could solve the mystery of what Jamey says during his suicide attempt?
Essay Topic 3
When Alex and Jennifer research possible drugs that could possibly be being slipped to Jamey, they find information that could be crucial to the murder case and Jamey's current mental state. What information do Alex and Jennifer find during their research? How can their investigation help Jamey? Justify your answers with examples from the reading.
This section contains 1,845 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)