|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Alex is at home, what does he hear outside of his house?
2. Why does Alex make an appointment with Dr. Sarita Flowers?
3. Who does Alex agree to work for in Chapter 7?
4. What unit is Jamey held in in jail?
5. During the interview with Jamey, how does Alex describe him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alex meets Milo in Chapter 13 to discuss their friendship, what does Milo talk to Alex about?
2. Explain the research study that Jamey was part of.
3. Where does Alex meet with Gary for the first time and what does Gary tell him?
4. What does Jennifer believe is the cause of Jamey's current mental problems?
5. Describe the event that takes place in the middle of the night at the beginning of the story.
6. Who is Horace Souza and what happens during the first meeting he has with Alex in the story?
7. Why did Alex insist on having a meeting with Souza in Chapter 30?
8. What causes the incident to take place outside of Alex's house in Chapter 12?
9. Why does Alex drive to UCLA in Chapter 24?
10. When Alex asks Souza about Jamey's progression of mental illness, what is Souza's response?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, Alex goes to the hospital to find Jamey. What does Alex say is possibly wrong with Jamey? What does Alex's visit to the hospital show about his personality and his job as a psychologist? Justify your response with examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 2
Alex meets Jennifer in Chapter 16 and a friendship ensues. Who is Jennifer? What do the two have in common that initiates a friendship between them? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The element of surprise is used several times in the story when readers learn the truth about who is committed what crimes against Jamey and other characters in the story. Discuss how the element of surprise is used throughout the story.
This section contains 1,826 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)