|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Johnny refuse to see at the hospital?
2. What do Two-Bit and Ponyboy do before going back to the hospital?
3. What does Johnny want Two-Bit to go get for him in Chapter 8?
4. What word does Ponyboy use to describe the way Dally dies?
5. What does Soda want to do after the big rumble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
2. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
3. Explain how Dally dies.
4. How does Dally get to the rumble?
5. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
6. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
7. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
8. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
9. What does Dally ask Two-Bit for in the hospital?
10. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the characters in the novel are united by a sense of belonging or wanting to belong. How is Johnny's story specifically reflective of this?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons why The Outsiders may or may not belong to the realistic fiction genre? What other genres could it belong to?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Johnny's growth throughout the story. What events contribute to his maturity and change the way he looks at life?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)