|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponyboy respond to Darry's scolding in Chapter 11?
2. Who tells Ponyboy in Chapter 9 that he shouldn't fight in the rumble?
3. Who shoots Dally?
4. What word does Ponyboy use to describe the way Dally dies?
5. Who is delusional about Johnny's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
2. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
3. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
4. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
5. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
6. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
7. How do readers realize that Ponyboy is in denial and delusional?
8. What does Dally ask Two-Bit for in the hospital?
9. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
10. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the plot elements of The Outsiders. Identify the impetus for the story, major events, climax, and denouement.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the characters in the novel are united by a sense of belonging or wanting to belong. How is Johnny's story specifically reflective of this?
Essay Topic 3
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)