|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Johnny leave with a copy of Gone With the Wind for Ponyboy?
2. What is wrong with Ponyboy after the rumble?
3. Why do Ponyboy and his brothers go home from the hospital in Chapter 7?
4. What does Ponyboy ask Two-Bit to do for him before the rumble?
5. Who has a bad feeling about the rumble?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
2. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
3. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
4. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
5. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
6. What does Ponyboy do to pass the time while he is bedridden?
7. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
8. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
9. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
10. Why doesn't Darry want Ponyboy to fight in the rumble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between the Curtis brothers. What is Ponyboy's relationship with Darry like? With Soda? How do these relationships change throughout the novel? What events change these relationships, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)