|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Ponyboy's injury/illness during the rumble?
2. The first group to ______ will lose the rumble.
3. What has Dally done to make the cops chase him in Chapter 10?
4. How long does Ponyboy stay in bed after the rumble?
5. Who comes to visit Ponyboy when he is confined to bed after the rumble?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
2. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
3. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
4. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
5. How does the rumble get started?
6. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
7. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
8. What does Dally ask Two-Bit for in the hospital?
9. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
10. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the plot elements of The Outsiders. Identify the impetus for the story, major events, climax, and denouement.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
Essay Topic 3
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)