|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets sick and passes out after Dally dies?
2. Who comes to visit Ponyboy when he is confined to bed after the rumble?
3. What does Ponyboy ask Two-Bit to do for him before the rumble?
4. On the way to Dally's room, who do Two-Bit and Johnny pass in the hospital hallway?
5. Where is the rumble to take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rumble get started?
2. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
3. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
4. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
5. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
6. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
7. What does Ponyboy do to pass the time while he is bedridden?
8. What does Dally ask Two-Bit for in the hospital?
9. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
10. How does Dally get to the rumble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the title of the novel. Who is an "outsider" throughout the story, and what makes that person an "outsider"? What other interpretations of the title are there?
Essay Topic 2
What elements in the novel make the story more real? Discuss elements like point of view, characters, and how thematic elements like violence are handled.
Essay Topic 3
What storytelling techniques are used in The Outsiders? Discuss foreshadowing, the frame story, flashbacks, etc.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)