|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponyboy respond to Darry's scolding in Chapter 11?
2. What prognosis do the doctors give the critically injured character in Chapter 7?
3. What do the doctors say that makes Ponyboy realize Johnny is dying?
4. Whose picture does Ponyboy come across while reading in bed after the rumble?
5. Who comes to visit Ponyboy when he is confined to bed after the rumble?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dally get to the rumble?
2. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
3. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
4. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
5. Why doesn't Darry want Ponyboy to fight in the rumble?
6. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
7. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
8. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
9. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
10. How does the rumble get started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What elements in the novel make the story more real? Discuss elements like point of view, characters, and how thematic elements like violence are handled.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)