|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way to Dally's room, who do Two-Bit and Johnny pass in the hospital hallway?
2. Who is sleeping in the chair beside Ponyboy when he wakes up in Chapter 10 after the rumble?
3. What is one of the things Ponyboy reads while confined to his bed?
4. Who tells Ponyboy that he is famous and shows him the newspaper article about him and Johnny?
5. What do the doctors say that makes Ponyboy realize Johnny is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dally get to the rumble?
2. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
3. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
4. How do readers realize that Ponyboy is in denial and delusional?
5. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
6. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
7. What does Ponyboy do to pass the time while he is bedridden?
8. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
9. How does the rumble get started?
10. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships between the Curtis brothers. What is Ponyboy's relationship with Darry like? With Soda? How do these relationships change throughout the novel? What events change these relationships, and how?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ponyboy's sensitivity with the attitudes of those around him. What characters are completely opposite in that they are tough and/or desensitized to their situations? How does Ponyboy's sensitivity help or hurt him throughout the story? How does it make him easier/more difficult for readers to relate to?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)