|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ponyboy say doesn't happen when you're tough?
2. How does Ponyboy respond to Darry's scolding in Chapter 11?
3. What does Soda want to do after the big rumble?
4. What does Ponyboy threaten the three Socs at the grocery store with?
5. What caused Ponyboy's injury/illness during the rumble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
2. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
3. Explain how Dally dies.
4. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
5. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
6. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
7. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
8. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
9. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
10. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the plot elements of The Outsiders. Identify the impetus for the story, major events, climax, and denouement.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ponyboy's sensitivity with the attitudes of those around him. What characters are completely opposite in that they are tough and/or desensitized to their situations? How does Ponyboy's sensitivity help or hurt him throughout the story? How does it make him easier/more difficult for readers to relate to?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)