|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ponyboy and his brothers go home from the hospital in Chapter 7?
2. Who is the first person to be questioned at the hearing?
3. Why is Soda upset about Sandy in Chapter 12?
4. Who waits at the hospital with Ponyboy in Chapter 7?
5. Who tells Ponyboy that he will not be going to the rumble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
2. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
3. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
4. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
5. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
6. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
7. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
8. How does the rumble get started?
9. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
10. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. What actions by the characters, or events, in the story exhibit this theme? What symbols (the vacant lot, the church, etc.) point to a theme of abandonment? What is the significance of the novel's title to this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how The Outsiders can be considered a "coming of age" story. How do the main characters mature?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critical analysis of the Robert Frost poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" as it relates to The Outsiders.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)