|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ponyboy ask Two-Bit to do for him before the rumble?
2. What are Ponyboy and Soda supposed to do if the cops show up at the rumble?
3. What does Cherry tell Ponyboy that the Socs have planned for the rumble?
4. Who speaks to the judge before the hearing begins?
5. Why does Ponyboy have to walk home after Johnny dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
2. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
3. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
4. What does Ponyboy do to pass the time while he is bedridden?
5. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
6. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
7. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
8. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
9. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
10. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What storytelling techniques are used in The Outsiders? Discuss foreshadowing, the frame story, flashbacks, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ponyboy's sensitivity with the attitudes of those around him. What characters are completely opposite in that they are tough and/or desensitized to their situations? How does Ponyboy's sensitivity help or hurt him throughout the story? How does it make him easier/more difficult for readers to relate to?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)