|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Soda want to do after the big rumble?
2. What has Dally done to make the cops chase him in Chapter 10?
3. How does Ponyboy feel about having to stay in bed after the rumble?
4. Who waits at the hospital with Ponyboy in Chapter 7?
5. The first group to ______ will lose the rumble.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ponyboy do to pass the time while he is bedridden?
2. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
3. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
4. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
5. Why doesn't Darry want Ponyboy to fight in the rumble?
6. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
7. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
8. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
9. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
10. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the plot elements of The Outsiders. Identify the impetus for the story, major events, climax, and denouement.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between the Curtis brothers. What is Ponyboy's relationship with Darry like? With Soda? How do these relationships change throughout the novel? What events change these relationships, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how symbols are used in the novel. Specifically: What does the sunset symbolize? The vacant lot? What about the different books and poems Ponyboy reads?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)