|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is present at Ponyboy's hearing?
2. When he reads the newspaper stories about the fire, where does Ponyboy learn that he has to go?
3. The first group to ______ will lose the rumble.
4. What does Ponyboy threaten the three Socs at the grocery store with?
5. What has Dally done to make the cops chase him in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rumble get started?
2. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
3. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
4. Explain how Dally dies.
5. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
6. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
7. How does Dally get to the rumble?
8. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
9. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
10. How do readers realize that Ponyboy is in denial and delusional?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the characters in the novel are united by a sense of belonging or wanting to belong. How is Johnny's story specifically reflective of this?
Essay Topic 2
What storytelling techniques are used in The Outsiders? Discuss foreshadowing, the frame story, flashbacks, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critical analysis of the Robert Frost poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" as it relates to The Outsiders.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)