|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Johnny refuse to see at the hospital?
2. To pass the time after the rumble, Ponyboy reads and __________ while confined to bed.
3. On the way to Dally's room, who do Two-Bit and Johnny pass in the hospital hallway?
4. What prognosis do the doctors give the critically injured character in Chapter 7?
5. As he is dying, what does Johnny tell Ponyboy to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
2. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
3. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
4. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
5. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
6. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
7. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
8. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
9. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
10. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ponyboy's sensitivity with the attitudes of those around him. What characters are completely opposite in that they are tough and/or desensitized to their situations? How does Ponyboy's sensitivity help or hurt him throughout the story? How does it make him easier/more difficult for readers to relate to?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)