|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Ponyboy tell Johnny in the hospital?
2. What does Ponyboy say doesn't happen when you're tough?
3. Why do Ponyboy and his brothers go home from the hospital in Chapter 7?
4. What are Ponyboy and Soda supposed to do if the cops show up at the rumble?
5. Where does Dally make the cops chase him to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
2. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
3. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
4. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
5. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
6. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
7. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
8. How does Dally get to the rumble?
9. Explain how Dally dies.
10. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critical analysis of the Robert Frost poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" as it relates to The Outsiders.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)