|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to the judge before the hearing begins?
2. Who has a fever and isn't feeling very well while he is at the hospital?
3. Who is sleeping in the chair beside Ponyboy when he wakes up in Chapter 10 after the rumble?
4. Who has a bad feeling about the rumble?
5. Where is the rumble to take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
2. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
3. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
4. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
5. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
6. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
7. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
8. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
9. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
10. What does Ponyboy do to pass the time while he is bedridden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. What actions by the characters, or events, in the story exhibit this theme? What symbols (the vacant lot, the church, etc.) point to a theme of abandonment? What is the significance of the novel's title to this theme?
Essay Topic 2
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)