|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Ponyboy stay in bed after the rumble?
2. What does Ponyboy threaten the three Socs at the grocery store with?
3. Who is present at Ponyboy's hearing?
4. How does Ponyboy feel about having to stay in bed after the rumble?
5. What does Cherry tell Ponyboy that the Socs have planned for the rumble?
Essay Topic 1
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. What actions by the characters, or events, in the story exhibit this theme? What symbols (the vacant lot, the church, etc.) point to a theme of abandonment? What is the significance of the novel's title to this theme?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)