|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots Dally?
2. What lie does Ponyboy tell Johnny in the hospital?
3. How long does Ponyboy stay in bed after the rumble?
4. To pass the time after the rumble, Ponyboy reads and __________ while confined to bed.
5. What does Darry scold Ponyboy for doing in bed after the rumble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
2. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
3. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
4. Why doesn't Darry want Ponyboy to fight in the rumble?
5. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
6. What does Dally ask Two-Bit for in the hospital?
7. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
8. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
9. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
10. How does the rumble get started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ponyboy's sensitivity with the attitudes of those around him. What characters are completely opposite in that they are tough and/or desensitized to their situations? How does Ponyboy's sensitivity help or hurt him throughout the story? How does it make him easier/more difficult for readers to relate to?
Essay Topic 3
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)