|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ponyboy call Cherry a traitor?
2. What has Dally done to make the cops chase him in Chapter 10?
3. What does the judge ask Ponyboy?
4. Who is delusional about Johnny's death?
5. What lie does Ponyboy tell Johnny in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
2. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
3. How do readers realize that Ponyboy is in denial and delusional?
4. How does Dally get to the rumble?
5. Explain how Dally dies.
6. What does Soda say to Ponyboy and Darry about their fighting?
7. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
8. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
9. How does the rumble get started?
10. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how The Outsiders can be considered a "coming of age" story. How do the main characters mature?
Essay Topic 3
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)