|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ponyboy want to make Darry proud?
2. Why do Ponyboy and his brothers go home from the hospital in Chapter 7?
3. Which of the characters is in critical condition after the fire?
4. Who waits at the hospital with Ponyboy in Chapter 7?
5. Why can't Ponyboy speak when he hears of Johnny's condition?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the title of the novel. Who is an "outsider" throughout the story, and what makes that person an "outsider"? What other interpretations of the title are there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of abandonment in the novel. What actions by the characters, or events, in the story exhibit this theme? What symbols (the vacant lot, the church, etc.) point to a theme of abandonment? What is the significance of the novel's title to this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the novel. What time period is it, and what type of place do the characters live in? What activities, slang, etc. "date" the novel? What impact does this setting have on present-day readers? Is it more difficult to connect with the characters? What significance does the setting have to the events of the novel? Could the events have just as easily happened today? Why or why not?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)