|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Ponyboy tell Johnny in the hospital?
2. Who is the youngest boy at the rumble?
3. Who is delusional about Johnny's death?
4. Who comes over to Ponyboy's house to see him when he gets home from the hospital?
5. How does Ponyboy respond to Darry's scolding in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rumble get started?
2. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
3. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
4. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
5. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
6. How do readers realize that Ponyboy is in denial and delusional?
7. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
8. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
9. What happens when the police pull Dally and Ponyboy over as they are on the way to the hospital?
10. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons why The Outsiders may or may not belong to the realistic fiction genre? What other genres could it belong to?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the title of the novel. Who is an "outsider" throughout the story, and what makes that person an "outsider"? What other interpretations of the title are there?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)