|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ponyboy say killed Bob?
2. Why does Ponyboy have to walk home after Johnny dies?
3. What does Ponyboy say doesn't happen when you're tough?
4. Who waits at the hospital with Ponyboy in Chapter 7?
5. Who shoots Dally?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
2. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
3. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
4. How does Dally get to the rumble?
5. What does Ponyboy do to pass the time while he is bedridden?
6. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
7. Where has Sandy gone by Chapter 7, and why?
8. What does Dally ask Two-Bit for in the hospital?
9. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
10. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how The Outsiders can be considered a "coming of age" story. How do the main characters mature?
Essay Topic 3
What elements in the novel make the story more real? Discuss elements like point of view, characters, and how thematic elements like violence are handled.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)