|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dally convince the nurse to let him go to the rumble?
2. How does Ponyboy respond to Darry's scolding in Chapter 11?
3. Who waits at the hospital with Ponyboy in Chapter 7?
4. What prognosis do the doctors give the critically injured character in Chapter 7?
5. What does Ponyboy say doesn't happen when you're tough?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prognosis do the doctors give Johnny?
2. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
3. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
4. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
5. How do readers realize that Ponyboy is in denial and delusional?
6. What do the newspaper articles say about Ponyboy?
7. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
8. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
9. How does the rumble get started?
10. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What storytelling techniques are used in The Outsiders? Discuss foreshadowing, the frame story, flashbacks, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
Essay Topic 3
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)