|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Dally done to make the cops chase him in Chapter 10?
2. On what day does Ponyboy finally wake up after passing out following the rumble?
3. Where do Ponyboy and Two-Bit find Cherry as they are walking home from the hospital?
4. What does Ponyboy find inside his copy of Gone With the WInd?
5. What word does Ponyboy use to describe the way Dally dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
2. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
3. What makes Ponyboy think about Bob in Chapter 11?
4. What do Ponyboy and Randy talk about when Randy comes to visit him?
5. Why won't Cherry go see Johnny in the hospital?
6. Why doesn't Darry want Ponyboy to fight in the rumble?
7. How does Ponyboy get home from the hospital after Johnny's death?
8. How does the rumble get started?
9. What does Johnny do when his mother comes to the hospital?
10. What happens at Ponyboy's court hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how symbols are used in the novel. Specifically: What does the sunset symbolize? The vacant lot? What about the different books and poems Ponyboy reads?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)