|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the fight in the park, where does Dally suggest that Ponyboy and Johnny to go to hide?
2. Why is Ponyboy embarrassed by Dally when they sit near the Soc girls?
3. Where is the church Ponyboy and Johnny need to go to?
4. What is the name of the horse that Soda loved?
5. Cherry tells Ponyboy that he is the type of person who ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cherry act as a spy for the greasers?
2. Describe the differences in how Ponyboy's two brothers treat him.
3. What two differences does Cherry point out between the greasers and the Socs?
4. What happens when Cherry and Marcia's boyfriends show up as they are walking from the drive-in with the greasers?
5. Describe the gang known as the "greasers".
6. Explain how Ponyboy and Johnny are heroic during the fire.
7. What does Soda tell Ponyboy in the letter he sends with Dally?
8. What happens when Dally tries to give the Soc girls a soda at the drive-in?
9. How does Dally approach the Soc girls at the drive-in?
10. What do Johnny and Ponyboy do in the vacant lot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between the Curtis brothers. What is Ponyboy's relationship with Darry like? With Soda? How do these relationships change throughout the novel? What events change these relationships, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how symbols are used in the novel. Specifically: What does the sunset symbolize? The vacant lot? What about the different books and poems Ponyboy reads?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)