|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dally give to Ponyboy when he comes to the church?
2. What do the Socs do to Ponyboy at the park?
3. What happens to makes Ponyboy nervous as he is leaving the movies?
4. What do Johnny and Ponyboy need to get once they get to the church?
5. Cherry tells Ponyboy that he is the type of person who ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
2. Why is Ponyboy nervous about walking home alone from the movies?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Ponyboy see as differences between him and his peers?
4. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
5. Why do Johnny and Ponyboy go find Dally after the fight in the park?
6. Describe the differences in how Ponyboy's two brothers treat him.
7. What does Ponyboy do when he wakes up in the church?
8. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
9. How does Dally approach the Soc girls at the drive-in?
10. What do Cherry and Ponyboy talk about while getting concessions at the drive-in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
Essay Topic 3
What elements in the novel make the story more real? Discuss elements like point of view, characters, and how thematic elements like violence are handled.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)