|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ponyboy embarrassed by Dally when they sit near the Soc girls?
2. What makes Johnny stand up for Dally when the Soc girls put him down?
3. What does Johnny realize about the Socs in the blue car?
4. What does Johnny think he and Ponyboy should do instead of hiding out in the church?
5. What news does Dally give Ponyboy and Johnny when he comes to see them at the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Ponyboy and Johnny are heroic during the fire.
2. What do Cherry and Ponyboy talk about while getting concessions at the drive-in?
3. What happens when Dally tries to give the Soc girls a soda at the drive-in?
4. Describe the park that Johnny and Ponyboy go to in Chapter 4.
5. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
6. What happens when Ponyboy comes home late in Chapter 3?
7. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
8. What does Jerry say when Ponyboy tells him that he and Johnny are wanted for murder?
9. How do Johnny and Ponyboy realize that they are not alone at the park?
10. Why is Ponyboy nervous about walking home alone from the movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how symbols are used in the novel. Specifically: What does the sunset symbolize? The vacant lot? What about the different books and poems Ponyboy reads?
Essay Topic 2
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)