|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ponyboy and Johnny think can help them after the fight in the park?
2. Why does Ponyboy run into the church during the fire?
3. What news does Dally give Ponyboy and Johnny when he comes to see them at the church?
4. What do Ponyboy and his gang call the rich kids?
5. Why does Cherry decide to leave with the Socs instead of walking with Ponyboy and the greasers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Johnny and Ponyboy realize that they are not alone at the park?
2. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
3. What is Ponyboy's reaction to cutting and dyeing his hair?
4. What does Dally tell Ponyboy and Johnny to do when the come to him for help after the park fight?
5. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
6. Why do Johnny and Ponyboy go find Dally after the fight in the park?
7. What does Ponyboy tell Cherry and the others about Darry as they are walking to Two-Bit's house?
8. What injuries do Ponyboy and Johnny sustain in the fire?
9. Why does Cherry act as a spy for the greasers?
10. Why is Ponyboy nervous about walking home alone from the movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
Essay Topic 2
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)