|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the ambulance with Ponyboy?
2. What does the Shepherd gang's whistle mean?
3. According to Dally, where do the cops think Ponyboy and Johnny are headed?
4. After the fight in the park, what does Johnny tell Ponyboy they need?
5. Where do Steve and Soda work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things are Ponyboy thinking about as he sits at the drive-in?
2. How does Dally get to the rumble?
3. What does Ponyboy tell Cherry and the others about Darry as they are walking to Two-Bit's house?
4. What happens when Dally tries to give the Soc girls a soda at the drive-in?
5. Why does Cherry act as a spy for the greasers?
6. Why doesn't Darry want Ponyboy to fight in the rumble?
7. What is Ponyboy's living arrangement?
8. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
9. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
10. What does Dally tell Ponyboy and Johnny to do when the come to him for help after the park fight?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships between the Curtis brothers. What is Ponyboy's relationship with Darry like? With Soda? How do these relationships change throughout the novel? What events change these relationships, and how?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)