|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cherry say Ponyboy looks like?
2. Why did Ponyboy pass out after the fire?
3. When Ponyboy awakes after passing out in Chapter 6, where is Johnny?
4. Dally tries to comfort Johnny by telling him that he doesn't need _____________.
5. After the fight in the park, where do Johnny and Ponyboy go to find help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
2. How does Ponyboy act tough at the grocery store?
3. How do readers realize that Ponyboy is in denial and delusional?
4. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
5. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
6. What things are Ponyboy thinking about as he sits at the drive-in?
7. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
8. What is Ponyboy's living arrangement?
9. Why is Ponyboy nervous about walking home alone from the movies?
10. How does the rumble get started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how The Outsiders can be considered a "coming of age" story. How do the main characters mature?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the characters in the novel are united by a sense of belonging or wanting to belong. How is Johnny's story specifically reflective of this?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the plot elements of The Outsiders. Identify the impetus for the story, major events, climax, and denouement.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)