|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the greasers sneak into the drive-in?
2. In Chapter 2, Ponyboy, Johnny, and the other greasers sneak into which of the following?
3. What story does Ponyboy tell Cherry when they are getting snacks at the drive-in?
4. When Ponyboy wakes up in the church, how does he know Johnny is gone?
5. In Chapter 6, what is on fire when the boys get back from eating with Dally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dally tries to give the Soc girls a soda at the drive-in?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Ponyboy see as differences between him and his peers?
3. What strikes Johnny about the characters in Gone With The Wind?
4. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
5. How does Dally approach the Soc girls at the drive-in?
6. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
7. What does Soda tell Ponyboy in the letter he sends with Dally?
8. Describe the major event that occurs in Chapter 4 and how is a turning point in the novel.
9. What happens when Ponyboy comes home late in Chapter 3?
10. What do Johnny and Ponyboy do in the vacant lot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. What time period is it, and what type of place do the characters live in? What activities, slang, etc. "date" the novel? What impact does this setting have on present-day readers? Is it more difficult to connect with the characters? What significance does the setting have to the events of the novel? Could the events have just as easily happened today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how The Outsiders can be considered a "coming of age" story. How do the main characters mature?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)