|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two boys in the blue car call Johnny, Ponyboy, and Two-Bit?
2. Where is Dallas Winston from?
3. How does Johnny recognize who the Socs in the park are?
4. Who does Cherry say Ponyboy looks like?
5. Who is in the ambulance with Ponyboy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ponyboy's living arrangement?
2. What does Ponyboy tell Cherry and the others about Darry as they are walking to Two-Bit's house?
3. What things are Ponyboy thinking about as he sits at the drive-in?
4. Describe the park that Johnny and Ponyboy go to in Chapter 4.
5. Why is Ponyboy nervous about walking home alone from the movies?
6. What happens when Ponyboy comes home late in Chapter 3?
7. What does Dally tell Ponyboy and Johnny to do when the come to him for help after the park fight?
8. What does Soda tell Ponyboy in the letter he sends with Dally?
9. How do the greasers sneak into the drive-in, and why do they do it?
10. What does Ponyboy do when he wakes up in the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements in the novel make the story more real? Discuss elements like point of view, characters, and how thematic elements like violence are handled.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between the Curtis brothers. What is Ponyboy's relationship with Darry like? With Soda? How do these relationships change throughout the novel? What events change these relationships, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the characters in the novel are united by a sense of belonging or wanting to belong. How is Johnny's story specifically reflective of this?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)