|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Ponyboy have to be home from the drive-in?
2. Where do the greasers sit when they are at the drive-in?
3. What does Dally give to Ponyboy when he comes to the church?
4. What does Johnny think he and Ponyboy should do instead of hiding out in the church?
5. Who is in the ambulance with Ponyboy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ponyboy tell Cherry and the others about Darry as they are walking to Two-Bit's house?
2. What does Dally do when Johnny asks if his parents are worried about him?
3. Explain how Johnny speaks up to the older boys at the drive-in.
4. Describe what the Socs do to Ponyboy during the fight at the park.
5. What things are Ponyboy thinking about as he sits at the drive-in?
6. Describe the park that Johnny and Ponyboy go to in Chapter 4.
7. What do Johnny and Ponyboy do in the vacant lot?
8. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
9. What does Ponyboy do when he wakes up in the church?
10. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how The Outsiders can be considered a "coming of age" story. How do the main characters mature?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the similarities between the greasers and the Socs. How are they not really all that different from each other? Why does each group think the other is better off? What specific events or conversations in the novel indicate that the two groups have some things in common?
Essay Topic 3
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)