|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Dally want Johnny to go to jail?
2. Who is the only person who can tease Darry?
3. What does Dally give to Ponyboy when he comes to the church?
4. To whom does Johnny compare the southern gentlemen in the book he and Ponyboy are reading?
5. Who slaps Ponyboy after he says something hurtful to Johnny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strikes Johnny about the characters in Gone With The Wind?
2. What does Ponyboy do when he wakes up in the church?
3. What do Johnny and Ponyboy talk about one morning while watching the sunrise?
4. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
5. What does Soda tell Ponyboy in the letter he sends with Dally?
6. What two differences does Cherry point out between the greasers and the Socs?
7. Describe what the Socs do to Ponyboy during the fight at the park.
8. Explain how Johnny speaks up to the older boys at the drive-in.
9. Explain how Ponyboy and Johnny are heroic during the fire.
10. How do the greasers sneak into the drive-in, and why do they do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements in the novel make the story more real? Discuss elements like point of view, characters, and how thematic elements like violence are handled.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the characters in the novel are united by a sense of belonging or wanting to belong. How is Johnny's story specifically reflective of this?
Essay Topic 3
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)