|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cherry say would not understand if she hung out with Ponyboy at school?
2. What does Cherry tell the cops about Bob's murder?
3. In Chapter 2, Ponyboy, Johnny, and the other greasers sneak into which of the following?
4. Who admires Dally because he is gallant?
5. What is the source of the money that Ponyboy and Johnny get from Dally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Dally give Ponyboy and Johnny when he comes to see them at the church?
2. Describe what the Socs do to Ponyboy during the fight at the park.
3. What does Dally tell Ponyboy and Johnny to do when the come to him for help after the park fight?
4. Why does Cherry act as a spy for the greasers?
5. What happens when Dally tries to give the Soc girls a soda at the drive-in?
6. What do Cherry and Ponyboy talk about while getting concessions at the drive-in?
7. What does Jerry say when Ponyboy tells him that he and Johnny are wanted for murder?
8. What do Johnny and Ponyboy do in the vacant lot?
9. Describe the differences in how Ponyboy's two brothers treat him.
10. Why is Ponyboy nervous about walking home alone from the movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how The Outsiders can be considered a "coming of age" story. How do the main characters mature?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ponyboy's sensitivity with the attitudes of those around him. What characters are completely opposite in that they are tough and/or desensitized to their situations? How does Ponyboy's sensitivity help or hurt him throughout the story? How does it make him easier/more difficult for readers to relate to?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)