|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Ponyboy and Johnny to sit with them at the drive-in?
2. Who is in the park with Ponyboy and Johnny?
3. Why are there children at the church in Chapter 6?
4. According to Dally, where do the cops think Ponyboy and Johnny are headed?
5. Who does Ponyboy love the most out of anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Soda tell Ponyboy in the letter he sends with Dally?
2. Describe the gang known as the "greasers".
3. Why do Johnny and Ponyboy go find Dally after the fight in the park?
4. Why does Cherry act as a spy for the greasers?
5. What does Ponyboy do when he wakes up in the church?
6. What do Cherry and Ponyboy talk about while getting concessions at the drive-in?
7. What happens when Dally tries to give the Soc girls a soda at the drive-in?
8. What happens when Ponyboy comes home late in Chapter 3?
9. What injuries do Ponyboy and Johnny sustain in the fire?
10. In Chapter 1, what does Ponyboy see as differences between him and his peers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the title of the novel. Who is an "outsider" throughout the story, and what makes that person an "outsider"? What other interpretations of the title are there?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the characters in the novel are united by a sense of belonging or wanting to belong. How is Johnny's story specifically reflective of this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)