|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Ponyboy know what is going on during the fight in the park?
2. When Ponyboy awakens in the church, where does he try to pretend to be?
3. What color is the hair of the girl Ponyboy talks to at the drive-in?
4. How did Soda know that Dally knew where Ponyboy was?
5. What part of town is Ponyboy from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ponyboy comes home late in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
3. Explain how Dally dies.
4. Explain how Ponyboy and Johnny are heroic during the fire.
5. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
6. What two differences does Cherry point out between the greasers and the Socs?
7. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
8. What strikes Johnny about the characters in Gone With The Wind?
9. Why is Ponyboy sick after the rumble?
10. How do Johnny and Ponyboy realize that they are not alone at the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ponyboy's sensitivity with the attitudes of those around him. What characters are completely opposite in that they are tough and/or desensitized to their situations? How does Ponyboy's sensitivity help or hurt him throughout the story? How does it make him easier/more difficult for readers to relate to?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the title of the novel. Who is an "outsider" throughout the story, and what makes that person an "outsider"? What other interpretations of the title are there?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)