Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Johnny gone when Ponyboy wakes up in the church?
2. Why did Ponyboy pass out after the fire?
3. What does Johnny ask Dally when he comes to the church?
4. What does Cherry tell the cops about Bob's murder?
5. What makes Johnny stand up for Dally when the Soc girls put him down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dally get to the rumble?
2. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
3. What news does Dally give Ponyboy and Johnny when he comes to see them at the church?
4. What injuries do Ponyboy and Johnny sustain in the fire?
5. Describe what the Socs do to Ponyboy during the fight at the park.
6. In Chapter 1, what does Ponyboy see as differences between him and his peers?
7. What does Ponyboy do when he wakes up in the church?
8. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
9. What things are Ponyboy thinking about as he sits at the drive-in?
10. What does Darry do while Ponyboy is sick?
Essay Topic 1
What message is implied at the end of the novel? Is the story intended to inspire hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the novel. What time period is it, and what type of place do the characters live in? What activities, slang, etc. "date" the novel? What impact does this setting have on present-day readers? Is it more difficult to connect with the characters? What significance does the setting have to the events of the novel? Could the events have just as easily happened today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)