|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Johnny and Ponyboy go after Cherry and Marcia leave with the Socs?
2. What makes Johnny stand up for Dally when the Soc girls put him down?
3. What part of town is Ponyboy from?
4. Why is Ponyboy embarrassed by Dally when they sit near the Soc girls?
5. Why did Ponyboy pass out after the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dally do when Johnny asks if his parents are worried about him?
2. Why does Ponyboy have to write a semester theme?
3. Explain how Dally dies.
4. Describe what the Socs do to Ponyboy during the fight at the park.
5. What is Ponyboy's living arrangement?
6. How does Dally get to the rumble?
7. What does Dally tell Ponyboy and Johnny to do when the come to him for help after the park fight?
8. What does Randy tell Ponyboy when he asks to talk to him alone?
9. What makes Ponyboy realize that Johnny is dying?
10. What do Johnny and Ponyboy do in the vacant lot?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Johnny's growth throughout the story. What events contribute to his maturity and change the way he looks at life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the title of the novel. Who is an "outsider" throughout the story, and what makes that person an "outsider"? What other interpretations of the title are there?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)