|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Cherry, who is the only person Ponyboy is comfortable talking with?
2. Who wrote the poem that Ponyboy recites to Johnny?
3. What happened to Ponyboy's parents?
4. Who shows up at the hospital with Darry to see Ponyboy?
5. Dally tries to comfort Johnny by telling him that he doesn't need _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Johnny and Ponyboy realize that they are not alone at the park?
2. Describe the gang known as the "greasers".
3. What does Dally tell Ponyboy and Johnny to do when the come to him for help after the park fight?
4. How does Dally approach the Soc girls at the drive-in?
5. What strikes Johnny about the characters in Gone With The Wind?
6. What happens when Dally tries to give the Soc girls a soda at the drive-in?
7. What does Jerry say when Ponyboy tells him that he and Johnny are wanted for murder?
8. What happens when Cherry and Marcia's boyfriends show up as they are walking from the drive-in with the greasers?
9. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
10. What do Johnny and Ponyboy talk about one morning while watching the sunrise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons why The Outsiders may or may not belong to the realistic fiction genre? What other genres could it belong to?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Johnny's growth throughout the story. What events contribute to his maturity and change the way he looks at life?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)