|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Shepherd gang's whistle mean?
2. What is the source of the money that Ponyboy and Johnny get from Dally?
3. Where do Johnny and Ponyboy go after Cherry and Marcia leave with the Socs?
4. What news does Dally give Ponyboy and Johnny when he comes to see them at the church?
5. Besides Cherry, who is the only person Ponyboy is comfortable talking with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Dally give Ponyboy and Johnny when he comes to see them at the church?
2. What things are Ponyboy thinking about as he sits at the drive-in?
3. Describe the park that Johnny and Ponyboy go to in Chapter 4.
4. Explain how Johnny speaks up to the older boys at the drive-in.
5. What does Dally do when Johnny asks if his parents are worried about him?
6. How does Dally approach the Soc girls at the drive-in?
7. Why does Cherry act as a spy for the greasers?
8. What two differences does Cherry point out between the greasers and the Socs?
9. What does Ponyboy tell Cherry and the others about Darry as they are walking to Two-Bit's house?
10. What strikes Johnny about the characters in Gone With The Wind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critical analysis of the Robert Frost poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" as it relates to The Outsiders.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dally as the hero or martyr of the novel. What heroic behaviors does he display? Why do the younger boys look up to him? What can they learn from his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different characters' beliefs about violence. What events shape or change their view of violence? Do they think it's a necessary evil?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)