|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ponyboy say to hurt Johnny's feelings when they are walking home from the drive-in?
2. In Chapter 2, Ponyboy, Johnny, and the other greasers sneak into which of the following?
3. What happens to makes Ponyboy nervous as he is leaving the movies?
4. Who is in the ambulance with Ponyboy?
5. What time does Ponyboy have to be home from the drive-in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two differences does Cherry point out between the greasers and the Socs?
2. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
3. How does Dally approach the Soc girls at the drive-in?
4. What does Ponyboy tell Cherry and the others about Darry as they are walking to Two-Bit's house?
5. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
6. What does Dally do when Johnny asks if his parents are worried about him?
7. What does Soda tell Ponyboy in the letter he sends with Dally?
8. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
9. What is Ponyboy's reaction to cutting and dyeing his hair?
10. What happens when Ponyboy comes home late in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons why The Outsiders may or may not belong to the realistic fiction genre? What other genres could it belong to?
Essay Topic 2
Compare The Outsiders to a similar rivalry story. Discuss how violence & friendships that arise between the groups, etc. are handled in each story.
Essay Topic 3
What storytelling techniques are used in The Outsiders? Discuss foreshadowing, the frame story, flashbacks, etc.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)