|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ponyboy and Johnny think can help them after the fight in the park?
2. Where is Dallas Winston from?
3. What story does Ponyboy tell Cherry when they are getting snacks at the drive-in?
4. What is Darry doing at the hospital to make Ponyboy realize that Darry really does care about him?
5. Who is in the park with Ponyboy and Johnny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the greasers sneak into the drive-in, and why do they do it?
2. What do Johnny and Ponyboy do in the vacant lot?
3. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
4. What injuries do Ponyboy and Johnny sustain in the fire?
5. What does Ponyboy do when he wakes up in the church?
6. What strikes Johnny about the characters in Gone With The Wind?
7. How does Dally approach the Soc girls at the drive-in?
8. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
9. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
10. Describe what the Socs do to Ponyboy during the fight at the park.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how symbols are used in the novel. Specifically: What does the sunset symbolize? The vacant lot? What about the different books and poems Ponyboy reads?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Johnny's growth throughout the story. What events contribute to his maturity and change the way he looks at life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)