|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time do Ponyboy and Johnny get to the park?
2. What does Cherry do to Dally at the drive-in?
3. What book does Johnny bring to the church for Ponyboy?
4. What happened to Ponyboy's parents?
5. Dally says the greasers have a spy on their side. Who is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ponyboy realize that Darry truly cares for him?
2. What do Johnny and Ponyboy do in the vacant lot?
3. Describe the major event that occurs in Chapter 4 and how is a turning point in the novel.
4. What do Cherry and Ponyboy talk about while getting concessions at the drive-in?
5. Describe the fight between the greasers and the Socs that occurs when Ponyboy is walking home from the movies.
6. What does Ponyboy realize that he has in common with Cherry?
7. What does Ponyboy tell Cherry and the others about Darry as they are walking to Two-Bit's house?
8. What injuries do Ponyboy and Johnny sustain in the fire?
9. What happens when Cherry and Marcia's boyfriends show up as they are walking from the drive-in with the greasers?
10. Describe what the Socs do to Ponyboy during the fight at the park.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements in the novel make the story more real? Discuss elements like point of view, characters, and how thematic elements like violence are handled.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of social and/or class division in the novel. Is the rivalry senseless? What motivates the rivalry between groups?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how symbols are used in the novel. Specifically: What does the sunset symbolize? The vacant lot? What about the different books and poems Ponyboy reads?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)