Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
2. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
3. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
4. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
5. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful work of non-fiction?
2. Analyze and discuss Outliers based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Outliers is a successful work of non-fiction/memoir.
3. Is Outliers a book you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a non-fictional book be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Outliers is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)