|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the pilots instruments indicate?
2. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
3. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
4. Where do Cohen and Nisbett conduct an experiment?
5. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
2. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
3. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
4. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
5. What is KIPP and who are its students?
6. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
7. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
8. How does PDI explain the crash of the Colombian airliner?
9. What are proxy wars?
10. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladwell makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way honor is seen in the southern United States to the way it seems to be viewed in the northern states. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare the difference between the cultural legacy of the United States and Colombia. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Compare the way that Oppenheimer handled criticism and problems with his behavior to the way that Langan did. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell measured things such as to what extent the people of a country trust and follow authority, and with what degree of willingness. This measurement is called the "Power Distance Index" or PDI. Countries like the United States have a low PDI, meaning that people interact with figures of authority without much deference and are ready to challenge authority when the situation calls for it. Countries like South Korea and Colombia have a high PDI, meaning that they recognize many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy and are reluctant to challenge authority.
1. Why do you think recognizing many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy might influence a person to not challenge authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a negative result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a positive result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)