|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
2. What does Gladwell say is an inviolate part of the school year?
3. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
4. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
5. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
2. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
3. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
4. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
5. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
6. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
7. What is entailed in growing rice?
8. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
9. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
10. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell measured things such as to what extent the people of a country trust and follow authority, and with what degree of willingness. This measurement is called the "Power Distance Index" or PDI. Countries like the United States have a low PDI, meaning that people interact with figures of authority without much deference and are ready to challenge authority when the situation calls for it. Countries like South Korea and Colombia have a high PDI, meaning that they recognize many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy and are reluctant to challenge authority.
1. Why do you think recognizing many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy might influence a person to not challenge authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a negative result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a positive result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful work of non-fiction?
2. Analyze and discuss Outliers based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Outliers is a successful work of non-fiction/memoir.
3. Is Outliers a book you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a non-fictional book be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)