|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Hofstede research?
2. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
3. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
4. What is the most important thing in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
5. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
2. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
3. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
4. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
5. What are proxy wars?
6. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
7. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
8. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
9. What is entailed in growing rice?
10. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hostile takeovers become more and more common and Flom and others receive more and more work. Finally, the white shoe firms come around and start to take on the work, but by this time Flom has so much more experience at it that he is able to command a large part of the business and surpass many of the established firms. Had he not been excluded for being Jewish when he first started, he would have lost the advantage, Gladwell explains.
1. Explain irony in the context of Joe Flom's success. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the circumstances changed in the law profession might have made the white Christian lawyers decide prejudice was not in their best interest? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
3. Make up an example of how a minority in your school might be successful at an endeavor because of prejudice. Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful work of non-fiction?
2. Analyze and discuss Outliers based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Outliers is a successful work of non-fiction/memoir.
3. Is Outliers a book you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a non-fictional book be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell in writing about Joe Flom cites anti-Semitism as part of the reason for Joe's success. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define anti-Semitism and give examples of it from both Outliers and other sources.
2. Do you think anti-Semitism still exists in the United States? Explain.
3. Discuss the ways in which racism influenced Malcolm Gladwell's family. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)