|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
2. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
3. What is one type of work Joe Flom does when he is just out of college?
4. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
5. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
2. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
3. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
4. Who is Joe Flom?
5. What is entailed in growing rice?
6. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
7. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
8. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
9. What are proxy wars?
10. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hostile takeovers become more and more common and Flom and others receive more and more work. Finally, the white shoe firms come around and start to take on the work, but by this time Flom has so much more experience at it that he is able to command a large part of the business and surpass many of the established firms. Had he not been excluded for being Jewish when he first started, he would have lost the advantage, Gladwell explains.
1. Explain irony in the context of Joe Flom's success. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the circumstances changed in the law profession might have made the white Christian lawyers decide prejudice was not in their best interest? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
3. Make up an example of how a minority in your school might be successful at an endeavor because of prejudice. Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell opens his book with a dictionary definition of the word "outlier." It is "something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body," and also "a statistical observation that is markedly different in value from others of the sample." His first example of an outlier is the town of Roseto, Pennsylvania in the first half of the 20th century.
1. In your own words, give a definition of an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons you think outliers are valuable for research purposes. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Explain, in your own words, why the town of Roseto, Pa. is an outlier and make-up another example of a town that would be an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)