|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
2. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
3. Of what heritage is Joe Flom?
4. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
5. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
Essay Topic 1
Hostile takeovers become more and more common and Flom and others receive more and more work. Finally, the white shoe firms come around and start to take on the work, but by this time Flom has so much more experience at it that he is able to command a large part of the business and surpass many of the established firms. Had he not been excluded for being Jewish when he first started, he would have lost the advantage, Gladwell explains.
1. Explain irony in the context of Joe Flom's success. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the circumstances changed in the law profession might have made the white Christian lawyers decide prejudice was not in their best interest? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
3. Make up an example of how a minority in your school might be successful at an endeavor because of prejudice. Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful work of non-fiction?
2. Analyze and discuss Outliers based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Outliers is a successful work of non-fiction/memoir.
3. Is Outliers a book you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a non-fictional book be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Kentucky is settled by people who come from a "culture of honor." Back in Britain, they are herdsmen and herding cultures worldwide have commonly developed such a culture, Gladwell explains. In a culture of honor, loyalty to one's family or clan is the most important thing. People from this background are driven to defend their families and are quick to respond to any perceived threat.
1. Discuss what a culture of honor is in your own words. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think honor can be a good value if used properly? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. What do you think are the dangers in too much loyalty to one's family or a over blown sense of honor? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 2,617 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)