|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
2. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
3. How do the experimenters know if the men's hormone levels rise?
4. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
5. Where is Harlan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
2. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
3. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
4. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
5. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
6. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
7. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
8. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
9. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
10. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Outliers. Questions that Gladwell most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Gladwell' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Gladwell' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Gladwell and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell writes his opinions on education in the public schools as opposed to pilot schools or Asian schools. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss and analyze three major ideas Gladwell has about education.
2. How are Gladwell's ideas about education supported by his research? Or not? Discuss with examples.
3. Discuss what a school would be like that uses all of Gladwell's ideas about education. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)