|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
2. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
3. From what region of the country are the angriest subjects?
4. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
5. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
2. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
3. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
4. Who is Joe Flom?
5. How does understanding math relate to growing rice?
6. What is entailed in growing rice?
7. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
8. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
9. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
10. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladwell cites the results of a study by a math professor named Alan Schoenfeld who looks at the way people learn math. Schoenfeld discovers that it takes time for most students to grasp a mathematical concept. Many western students simply give up on difficult math problems or concepts rather than take the time to fully grasp the concept. Students who are willing and able to put in more work are going to gain a more meaningful and deep grasp of math.
1. Do you agree with Alan Schoenfeld's assessment of Asians and math, that they spent more time learning it or do you think they just have brains that work better in a mathematical manner? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think children in America should attend school more hours and have more homework? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Give an example of a skill you wish to learn that you would be willing to spend a great deal of time on and discuss a plan of how you would improve your skill. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way honor is seen in the southern United States to the way it seems to be viewed in the northern states. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare the difference between the cultural legacy of the United States and Colombia. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Compare the way that Oppenheimer handled criticism and problems with his behavior to the way that Langan did. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell measured things such as to what extent the people of a country trust and follow authority, and with what degree of willingness. This measurement is called the "Power Distance Index" or PDI. Countries like the United States have a low PDI, meaning that people interact with figures of authority without much deference and are ready to challenge authority when the situation calls for it. Countries like South Korea and Colombia have a high PDI, meaning that they recognize many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy and are reluctant to challenge authority.
1. Why do you think recognizing many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy might influence a person to not challenge authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a negative result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a positive result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)