|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade level is the school?
2. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
3. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
4. What is not unique in Harlan?
5. What pattern does Gladwell examine in Kentucky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joe Flom?
2. How does PDI explain the crash of the Colombian airliner?
3. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
4. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
5. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
6. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
7. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
8. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
9. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
10. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 5 is called "The Three Lessons of Joe Flom." Joe Flom is a partner in a very successful New York law firm.
1. Discuss, in depth, the three lessons of Joe Flom. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. How do you think the lessons of Joe Flom might relate to the idea of fate or destiny? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think Joe's success, in his circumstances, was because he was Jewish or do you think any discriminated against minority might have fared the same? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell opens his book with a dictionary definition of the word "outlier." It is "something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body," and also "a statistical observation that is markedly different in value from others of the sample." His first example of an outlier is the town of Roseto, Pennsylvania in the first half of the 20th century.
1. In your own words, give a definition of an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons you think outliers are valuable for research purposes. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Explain, in your own words, why the town of Roseto, Pa. is an outlier and make-up another example of a town that would be an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Outliers is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)