|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
2. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
3. How are rice plants weeded and harvested?
4. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
5. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
2. What is entailed in growing rice?
3. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
4. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
5. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
6. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
7. What are proxy wars?
8. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
9. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
10. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suggestion Gladwell takes from these numbers is that while efforts are being made to reduce class size and improve school facilities, the facts point to a simpler solution for children who are falling behind in school. They need more of it.
This is part of the philosophy behind the KIPP Academy. Students are at school until 5 o'clock in the evening. They attend class on Saturdays, and go for an extra three weeks in the summer. They spend on average fifty percent more time in class than students in the regular schools.
1. Discuss, in depth, why educators believe smaller class size would help students. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Explain why you would or would not be willing to attend KIPP. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think education is the most important part of a child's life or do you think it is secondary to other areas? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell measured things such as to what extent the people of a country trust and follow authority, and with what degree of willingness. This measurement is called the "Power Distance Index" or PDI. Countries like the United States have a low PDI, meaning that people interact with figures of authority without much deference and are ready to challenge authority when the situation calls for it. Countries like South Korea and Colombia have a high PDI, meaning that they recognize many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy and are reluctant to challenge authority.
1. Why do you think recognizing many levels of authority in a cultural hierarchy might influence a person to not challenge authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a negative result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Give an example, not discussed in Outlier, and discuss, in depth, where challenging authority would have a positive result. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Hostile takeovers become more and more common and Flom and others receive more and more work. Finally, the white shoe firms come around and start to take on the work, but by this time Flom has so much more experience at it that he is able to command a large part of the business and surpass many of the established firms. Had he not been excluded for being Jewish when he first started, he would have lost the advantage, Gladwell explains.
1. Explain irony in the context of Joe Flom's success. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the circumstances changed in the law profession might have made the white Christian lawyers decide prejudice was not in their best interest? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
3. Make up an example of how a minority in your school might be successful at an endeavor because of prejudice. Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)