|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
2. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
3. What grade level is the school?
4. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
5. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
2. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
3. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
4. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
5. What are proxy wars?
6. How does PDI explain the crash of the Colombian airliner?
7. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
8. What is entailed in growing rice?
9. Who is Joe Flom?
10. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suggestion Gladwell takes from these numbers is that while efforts are being made to reduce class size and improve school facilities, the facts point to a simpler solution for children who are falling behind in school. They need more of it.
This is part of the philosophy behind the KIPP Academy. Students are at school until 5 o'clock in the evening. They attend class on Saturdays, and go for an extra three weeks in the summer. They spend on average fifty percent more time in class than students in the regular schools.
1. Discuss, in depth, why educators believe smaller class size would help students. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Explain why you would or would not be willing to attend KIPP. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think education is the most important part of a child's life or do you think it is secondary to other areas? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Hostile takeovers become more and more common and Flom and others receive more and more work. Finally, the white shoe firms come around and start to take on the work, but by this time Flom has so much more experience at it that he is able to command a large part of the business and surpass many of the established firms. Had he not been excluded for being Jewish when he first started, he would have lost the advantage, Gladwell explains.
1. Explain irony in the context of Joe Flom's success. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the circumstances changed in the law profession might have made the white Christian lawyers decide prejudice was not in their best interest? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
3. Make up an example of how a minority in your school might be successful at an endeavor because of prejudice. Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)