|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
2. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
3. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
4. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
5. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
2. How does understanding math relate to growing rice?
3. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
4. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
5. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
6. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
7. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
8. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
9. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
10. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Malcolm Gladwell.
2. What in Gladwell's background may have helped him in writing Outliers? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful work of non-fiction?
2. Analyze and discuss Outliers based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Outliers is a successful work of non-fiction/memoir.
3. Is Outliers a book you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a non-fictional book be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)