|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
2. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
3. What does Gladwell think is the reason for the success of the KIPP Academy?
4. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
5. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joe Flom?
2. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
3. What is KIPP and who are its students?
4. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
5. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
6. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
7. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
8. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
9. How does PDI explain the crash of the Colombian airliner?
10. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Outliers. Questions that Gladwell most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Gladwell' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Gladwell' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Gladwell and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Judging what Gladwell says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 5 is called "The Three Lessons of Joe Flom." Joe Flom is a partner in a very successful New York law firm.
1. Discuss, in depth, the three lessons of Joe Flom. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. How do you think the lessons of Joe Flom might relate to the idea of fate or destiny? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think Joe's success, in his circumstances, was because he was Jewish or do you think any discriminated against minority might have fared the same? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)