|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
2. What are people quick to do in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
3. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
4. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
5. What is the most important thing in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
2. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
3. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
4. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
5. Who is Joe Flom?
6. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
7. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
8. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
9. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
10. How does understanding math relate to growing rice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Outliers. Questions that Gladwell most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Gladwell' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Gladwell' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Gladwell and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell gives the reader an overview of his ideas about success in Outliers. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Gladwell's opinions of three topics he discussed in relation to success. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare and contrast Gladwell's opinions from Outliers with what you might imagine Gladwell's opinion might be had he lived 100 years ago. How do you think his opinions would change? Would they remain the same? Explain fully. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss how you think Gladwell's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a researcher. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., Einstein talks about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Gladwell states that Americans do not feel the need to obey authority. Discuss the following:
1. How would a "cult of individuals" explain why Americans are not intimidated by authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which Koreans' response to authority was partly responsible for the dismal accident record of Korean Airlines. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals." Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)