Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
2. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
3. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
4. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
5. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
Essay Topic 1
Gladwell writes his opinions on education in the public schools as opposed to pilot schools or Asian schools. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss and analyze three major ideas Gladwell has about education.
2. How are Gladwell's ideas about education supported by his research? Or not? Discuss with examples.
3. Discuss what a school would be like that uses all of Gladwell's ideas about education. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., Einstein talks about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Gladwell states that Americans do not feel the need to obey authority. Discuss the following:
1. How would a "cult of individuals" explain why Americans are not intimidated by authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which Koreans' response to authority was partly responsible for the dismal accident record of Korean Airlines. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals." Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)