|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Gladwell say the average student needs more?
2. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
3. Who are the Borgenichts?
4. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
5. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joe Flom?
2. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
3. What are proxy wars?
4. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
5. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
6. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
7. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
8. What is entailed in growing rice?
9. What is KIPP and who are its students?
10. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., Einstein talks about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Gladwell states that Americans do not feel the need to obey authority. Discuss the following:
1. How would a "cult of individuals" explain why Americans are not intimidated by authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which Koreans' response to authority was partly responsible for the dismal accident record of Korean Airlines. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals." Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell in writing about Joe Flom cites anti-Semitism as part of the reason for Joe's success. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define anti-Semitism and give examples of it from both Outliers and other sources.
2. Do you think anti-Semitism still exists in the United States? Explain.
3. Discuss the ways in which racism influenced Malcolm Gladwell's family. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell gives the reader an overview of his ideas about success in Outliers. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Gladwell's opinions of three topics he discussed in relation to success. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare and contrast Gladwell's opinions from Outliers with what you might imagine Gladwell's opinion might be had he lived 100 years ago. How do you think his opinions would change? Would they remain the same? Explain fully. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss how you think Gladwell's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a researcher. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)