Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
2. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
3. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
4. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
5. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
Essay Topic 1
The suggestion Gladwell takes from these numbers is that while efforts are being made to reduce class size and improve school facilities, the facts point to a simpler solution for children who are falling behind in school. They need more of it.
This is part of the philosophy behind the KIPP Academy. Students are at school until 5 o'clock in the evening. They attend class on Saturdays, and go for an extra three weeks in the summer. They spend on average fifty percent more time in class than students in the regular schools.
1. Discuss, in depth, why educators believe smaller class size would help students. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Explain why you would or would not be willing to attend KIPP. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think education is the most important part of a child's life or do you think it is secondary to other areas? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell opens his book with a dictionary definition of the word "outlier." It is "something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body," and also "a statistical observation that is markedly different in value from others of the sample." His first example of an outlier is the town of Roseto, Pennsylvania in the first half of the 20th century.
1. In your own words, give a definition of an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons you think outliers are valuable for research purposes. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Explain, in your own words, why the town of Roseto, Pa. is an outlier and make-up another example of a town that would be an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)