|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
2. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
3. What is a proxy war?
4. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
5. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
2. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
3. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
4. What is KIPP and who are its students?
5. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
6. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
7. Who is Joe Flom?
8. How does understanding math relate to growing rice?
9. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
10. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Malcolm Gladwell.
2. What in Gladwell's background may have helped him in writing Outliers? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way honor is seen in the southern United States to the way it seems to be viewed in the northern states. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare the difference between the cultural legacy of the United States and Colombia. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Compare the way that Oppenheimer handled criticism and problems with his behavior to the way that Langan did. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)