|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade level is the school?
2. What does Korean Airlines perform?
3. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
4. When does Korean Airline flight 801 crash?
5. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
2. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
3. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
4. What is KIPP and who are its students?
5. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
6. How does PDI explain the crash of the Colombian airliner?
7. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
8. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
9. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
10. What is entailed in growing rice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hostile takeovers become more and more common and Flom and others receive more and more work. Finally, the white shoe firms come around and start to take on the work, but by this time Flom has so much more experience at it that he is able to command a large part of the business and surpass many of the established firms. Had he not been excluded for being Jewish when he first started, he would have lost the advantage, Gladwell explains.
1. Explain irony in the context of Joe Flom's success. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way the circumstances changed in the law profession might have made the white Christian lawyers decide prejudice was not in their best interest? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
3. Make up an example of how a minority in your school might be successful at an endeavor because of prejudice. Use examples from Outliers and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., Einstein talks about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Gladwell states that Americans do not feel the need to obey authority. Discuss the following:
1. How would a "cult of individuals" explain why Americans are not intimidated by authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which Koreans' response to authority was partly responsible for the dismal accident record of Korean Airlines. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals." Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)