|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
2. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
3. What does Gladwell say is an inviolate part of the school year?
4. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
5. Where does it crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
2. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
3. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
4. Who is Joe Flom?
5. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
6. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
7. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
8. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
9. What is KIPP and who are its students?
10. What is entailed in growing rice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladwell has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Judging what Gladwell says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., Einstein talks about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Gladwell states that Americans do not feel the need to obey authority. Discuss the following:
1. How would a "cult of individuals" explain why Americans are not intimidated by authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which Koreans' response to authority was partly responsible for the dismal accident record of Korean Airlines. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals." Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Malcolm Gladwell.
2. What in Gladwell's background may have helped him in writing Outliers? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)