|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conclusion Terman comes to about high IQ children?
2. What health issue is rarely seen in Roseto at the time Wolf visits the town?
3. How is Langan's family situated financially?
4. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
5. Who is Anders Ericcson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
2. Who is Bill Joy and what did he do?
3. What does Gladwell write about the rock group called The Beatles?
4. What experiment does Lewis Terman carry out beginning in the 1920s?
5. What does Wolf finally decide is the reason for the low number of heart disease-related deaths?
6. What does Anders Ericcson learn in a study he makes of musicians?
7. What table of data does Gladwell insert in his book at this point?
8. What does Gladwell say Langan does not seem to be able to do?
9. What are the unusual circumstances in the timing of Bill Joy's career in computer programming?
10. When are most of Canada's best hockey players born, and why does Barnley think that is so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suggestion Gladwell takes from these numbers is that while efforts are being made to reduce class size and improve school facilities, the facts point to a simpler solution for children who are falling behind in school. They need more of it.
This is part of the philosophy behind the KIPP Academy. Students are at school until 5 o'clock in the evening. They attend class on Saturdays, and go for an extra three weeks in the summer. They spend on average fifty percent more time in class than students in the regular schools.
1. Discuss, in depth, why educators believe smaller class size would help students. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Explain why you would or would not be willing to attend KIPP. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think education is the most important part of a child's life or do you think it is secondary to other areas? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell gives the reader an overview of his ideas about success in Outliers. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss Gladwell's opinions of three topics he discussed in relation to success. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare and contrast Gladwell's opinions from Outliers with what you might imagine Gladwell's opinion might be had he lived 100 years ago. How do you think his opinions would change? Would they remain the same? Explain fully. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss how you think Gladwell's view on several topics from this essay informs his life as a researcher. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell in writing about Joe Flom cites anti-Semitism as part of the reason for Joe's success. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define anti-Semitism and give examples of it from both Outliers and other sources.
2. Do you think anti-Semitism still exists in the United States? Explain.
3. Discuss the ways in which racism influenced Malcolm Gladwell's family. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)