|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
2. Where does Langan grow up?
3. What college does Joy attend?
4. Where does this band get their start playing?
5. When does this band seem to come out of nowhere to rocket to stardom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
2. What does Gladwell assert about intelligence and what analogy does he use?
3. How does Joy and some of his fellow students make it possible to use the computers more than is allowed and what is the result?
4. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
5. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
6. What table of data does Gladwell insert in his book at this point?
7. What experiment does Lewis Terman carry out beginning in the 1920s?
8. What does having a high IQ give a person?
9. What makes Roseto an "outlier" town and how does this fact come to light?
10. Why is the local physician's claim unusual, and what does Wolf decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Malcolm Gladwell.
2. What in Gladwell's background may have helped him in writing Outliers? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Judging what Gladwell says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way honor is seen in the southern United States to the way it seems to be viewed in the northern states. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare the difference between the cultural legacy of the United States and Colombia. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Compare the way that Oppenheimer handled criticism and problems with his behavior to the way that Langan did. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)