|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does this band seem to come out of nowhere to rocket to stardom?
2. What does Gladwell address before he finishes the story about Chris Langan?
3. Through what age range are the school children tracked?
4. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
5. What does Gladwell say Roseto, Pennsylvania is an example of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wolf investigate and what does he learn?
2. Where is Langan at the time Gladwell writes his book?
3. What does Anders Ericcson learn in a study he makes of musicians?
4. What does Gladwell write about the rock group called The Beatles?
5. What is Langan working on and when does he expect to publish it?
6. Describe Chris Langan's childhood and college years.
7. When are most of Canada's best hockey players born, and why does Barnley think that is so?
8. Who is Robert Oppenheimer and what does he accomplish?
9. What does having a high IQ give a person?
10. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way honor is seen in the southern United States to the way it seems to be viewed in the northern states. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare the difference between the cultural legacy of the United States and Colombia. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Compare the way that Oppenheimer handled criticism and problems with his behavior to the way that Langan did. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)