|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conclusion Terman comes to about high IQ children?
2. Why does Langan drop out of the second college he attends?
3. What does Joy do almost day in and day out at college?
4. In what year does Joy start college?
5. What does Lewis Terman begin doing in the 1920s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does having a high IQ give a person?
2. What are the unusual circumstances in the timing of Bill Joy's career in computer programming?
3. What table of data does Gladwell insert in his book at this point?
4. Where is Roseto and who founded it?
5. Who is Bill Joy and what did he do?
6. When are most of Canada's best hockey players born, and why does Barnley think that is so?
7. What does IQ stand for and who developed a test to measure it?
8. To what does Gladwell attribute the difference between Langan and Oppenheimer?
9. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
10. Who is Chris Langan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladwell opens his book with a dictionary definition of the word "outlier." It is "something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body," and also "a statistical observation that is markedly different in value from others of the sample." His first example of an outlier is the town of Roseto, Pennsylvania in the first half of the 20th century.
1. In your own words, give a definition of an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons you think outliers are valuable for research purposes. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Explain, in your own words, why the town of Roseto, Pa. is an outlier and make-up another example of a town that would be an outlier. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Outliers belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Judging what Gladwell says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)