|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
2. What does Gladwell say is required for someone to succeed?
3. Where does this band get their start playing?
4. What college does Joy attend?
5. In what year does Joy start college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the unusual circumstances in the timing of Bill Joy's career in computer programming?
2. What does Gladwell assert about intelligence and what analogy does he use?
3. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
4. Why is the local physician's claim unusual, and what does Wolf decide to do?
5. What does IQ stand for and who developed a test to measure it?
6. Where is Roseto and who founded it?
7. What does Gladwell say a surface examination of the Canadian hockey league system would suggest?
8. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
9. Describe Chris Langan's childhood and college years.
10. What does Wolf finally decide is the reason for the low number of heart disease-related deaths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way honor is seen in the southern United States to the way it seems to be viewed in the northern states. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare the difference between the cultural legacy of the United States and Colombia. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Compare the way that Oppenheimer handled criticism and problems with his behavior to the way that Langan did. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell writes his opinions on education in the public schools as opposed to pilot schools or Asian schools. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss and analyze three major ideas Gladwell has about education.
2. How are Gladwell's ideas about education supported by his research? Or not? Discuss with examples.
3. Discuss what a school would be like that uses all of Gladwell's ideas about education. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)