|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Memorial Cup?
2. How is Langan's family situated financially?
3. How are children grouped to play hockey in the country Gladwell discusses?
4. Who developed the Stanford-Binet test?
5. Where does Langan once make an appearance that Gladwell mentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
2. Who is Bill Joy and what did he do?
3. Who is Robert Oppenheimer and what does he accomplish?
4. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
5. Who is Chris Langan?
6. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
7. Why is the local physician's claim unusual, and what does Wolf decide to do?
8. What does Wolf investigate and what does he learn?
9. How are students in the hockey leagues grouped and what is the way the children move into other leagues?
10. What does Gladwell say Langan does not seem to be able to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suggestion Gladwell takes from these numbers is that while efforts are being made to reduce class size and improve school facilities, the facts point to a simpler solution for children who are falling behind in school. They need more of it.
This is part of the philosophy behind the KIPP Academy. Students are at school until 5 o'clock in the evening. They attend class on Saturdays, and go for an extra three weeks in the summer. They spend on average fifty percent more time in class than students in the regular schools.
1. Discuss, in depth, why educators believe smaller class size would help students. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Explain why you would or would not be willing to attend KIPP. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think education is the most important part of a child's life or do you think it is secondary to other areas? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., Einstein talks about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Gladwell states that Americans do not feel the need to obey authority. Discuss the following:
1. How would a "cult of individuals" explain why Americans are not intimidated by authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which Koreans' response to authority was partly responsible for the dismal accident record of Korean Airlines. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals." Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Judging what Gladwell says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)