|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
2. What is the single most important reason for the success of a group of musicians Ericcson studies?
3. What does Gladwell delay discussing until the next chapter?
4. What does Langan display at a very young age?
5. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
2. With what definition does Gladwell open his book?
3. Describe Chris Langan's childhood and college years.
4. What does having a high IQ give a person?
5. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
6. Why is the local physician's claim unusual, and what does Wolf decide to do?
7. How does Joy and some of his fellow students make it possible to use the computers more than is allowed and what is the result?
8. What does IQ stand for and who developed a test to measure it?
9. What experiment does Lewis Terman carry out beginning in the 1920s?
10. Who is Bill Joy and what did he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Outliers is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 5 is called "The Three Lessons of Joe Flom." Joe Flom is a partner in a very successful New York law firm.
1. Discuss, in depth, the three lessons of Joe Flom. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. How do you think the lessons of Joe Flom might relate to the idea of fate or destiny? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think Joe's success, in his circumstances, was because he was Jewish or do you think any discriminated against minority might have fared the same? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Gladwell mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Judging what Gladwell says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)