Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conclusion Terman comes to about high IQ children?
2. What is Oppenheimer able to do even though he has some disadvantages?
3. To where does Langan transfer from his first college?
4. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
5. What does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country discussed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the unusual circumstances in the timing of Bill Joy's career in computer programming?
2. What table of data does Gladwell insert in his book at this point?
3. What does Anders Ericcson learn in a study he makes of musicians?
4. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
5. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
6. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
7. What does Wolf finally decide is the reason for the low heart disease rate?
8. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
9. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
10. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Outliers. Questions that Gladwell most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Gladwell' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Gladwell' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Gladwell and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Gladwell in writing about Joe Flom cites anti-Semitism as part of the reason for Joe's success. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define anti-Semitism and give examples of it from both Outliers and other sources.
2. Do you think anti-Semitism still exists in the United States? Explain.
3. Discuss the ways in which racism influenced Malcolm Gladwell's family. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell gives the example of Harlan, Kentucky to introduce a discussion of how a person's cultural legacy can affect their success.
1. Define cultural legacy in your own words and give an example of it that is not in Outliers.
2. Discuss two examples of cultural legacy that are beneficial to an individual. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Define, according to the values of honor, integrity, hard work, response to authority and honesty what you think your cultural legacy is. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)