|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gladwell say Roseto, Pennsylvania is an example of?
2. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
3. At what university does Lewis Terman teach?
4. What is the conclusion Terman comes to about high IQ children?
5. What does Gladwell find out about soccer leagues in Hungary and Czechoslovakia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
2. What did the experiment track and what are the results?
3. What table of data does Gladwell insert in his book at this point?
4. To what does Gladwell attribute the difference between Langan and Oppenheimer?
5. What does Wolf finally decide is the reason for the low number of heart disease-related deaths?
6. What does Wolf investigate and what does he learn?
7. Where is Roseto and who founded it?
8. How are students in the hockey leagues grouped and what is the way the children move into other leagues?
9. What does Gladwell assert about intelligence and what analogy does he use?
10. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essay, "My First Impressions of the U.S.A., Einstein talks about what he calls the "cult of individuals." Gladwell states that Americans do not feel the need to obey authority. Discuss the following:
1. How would a "cult of individuals" explain why Americans are not intimidated by authority? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways in which Koreans' response to authority was partly responsible for the dismal accident record of Korean Airlines. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a society based upon a "cult of individuals." Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The suggestion Gladwell takes from these numbers is that while efforts are being made to reduce class size and improve school facilities, the facts point to a simpler solution for children who are falling behind in school. They need more of it.
This is part of the philosophy behind the KIPP Academy. Students are at school until 5 o'clock in the evening. They attend class on Saturdays, and go for an extra three weeks in the summer. They spend on average fifty percent more time in class than students in the regular schools.
1. Discuss, in depth, why educators believe smaller class size would help students. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Explain why you would or would not be willing to attend KIPP. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Do you think education is the most important part of a child's life or do you think it is secondary to other areas? Why or why not? Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladwell makes a number of comparisons throughout his text. Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare the way honor is seen in the southern United States to the way it seems to be viewed in the northern states. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
2. Compare the difference between the cultural legacy of the United States and Colombia. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
3. Compare the way that Oppenheimer handled criticism and problems with his behavior to the way that Langan did. Use examples from Outliers to support your answer.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)