|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gladwell say is an inviolate part of the school year?
(a) Summer vacation.
(b) Changing classes.
(d) Moving from grade to grade without challenge.
2. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) Keep it.
(b) Gladwell does not say.
(c) Share it.
(d) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
3. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
(a) Their old planes.
(b) Their cultural legacy.
(c) Their pay structure.
(d) Their lack of good mechanics.
4. What does Korean Airlines perform?
(a) Fire all of the employees.
(b) A extensive retrofit of their planes.
(c) An internal audit.
(d) An upgrade to their planes.
5. Where is Harlan?
(a) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
(b) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
(c) In Western Tennessee.
(d) In southwestern Kentucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
2. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
3. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
4. When is Joe Flom born?
5. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
2. What is KIPP and who are its students?
3. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
4. Who is Joe Flom?
5. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
6. What are proxy wars?
7. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
8. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
9. What is entailed in growing rice?
10. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)