|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grade level is the school?
(b) Community college.
2. What neighborhood feeds into KIPP Academy?
(a) An upper-class area.
(b) An upper, middle-class area.
(c) It draws from the entire New York City.
(d) One of the worst in the city.
3. How are rice plants weeded and harvested?
(a) It depends on the species of rice.
(b) By hand.
(c) With one machine.
(d) With two special machines.
4. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
(b) It is fixed.
(c) The weather.
(d) Any wars going on.
5. Where does it crash?
(d) North Korea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the KIPP Academy?
2. Of what does Gladwell say the average student needs more?
3. Who settles Harlan?
4. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
5. What is the most important thing in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
2. What is KIPP and who are its students?
3. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
4. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
5. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
6. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
7. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
8. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
9. What are proxy wars?
10. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)