|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Mining groups.
(b) Farming groups.
(c) Industrial groups.
(d) Herding groups.
2. What does George Hofstede research?
(a) Cultural differences within a country.
(b) Plane crashes.
(c) Training routines.
(d) Cultural differences among countries.
3. Why do farmers in Europe in the Middle Ages go into a sort of hibernation state?
(a) To keep their bodies from overwork.
(b) To keep from starving.
(c) To conserve energy and to eat less.
(d) To rest for the hard work in the Spring.
4. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
(a) It depends on the relative social status of the two who are interacting.
(b) The listener.
(c) The speaker.
(d) Equally between the listener and speaker.
5. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
(b) Two families who continuously intermarry.
(c) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(d) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are rice plants weeded and harvested?
2. What is not unique in Harlan?
3. What does Korean Airlines perform?
4. What neighborhood feeds into KIPP Academy?
5. From what region of the country are the angriest subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
2. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
3. What is entailed in growing rice?
4. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
5. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
6. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
7. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
8. How does understanding math relate to growing rice?
9. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
10. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)