|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
2. What does Gladwell think is the reason for the success of the KIPP Academy?
(a) They cater to advantaged children.
(b) They only admit those in the upper 10 percent of the IQ range.
(c) They welcome any student who wants to learn.
(d) They have stepped outside the cultural legacy on which most public school systems are based.
3. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Feuds between two families.
(b) Large quartz mines.
(c) A spirit of community.
(d) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
4. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
(a) Black tie law firms.
(b) Black shoe law firms.
(c) White shoe law firms.
(d) White shirt law firms.
5. What do farmers of the Middle Ages do in the summer in Europe?
(a) They do the sewing and mending.
(b) They are mostly idle.
(c) They separate seeds and set out starter pots.
(d) They work on making the earth better for planting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
2. Where does it crash?
3. What does Gladwell say is an inviolate part of the school year?
4. What does George Hofstede research?
5. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
2. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
3. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
4. Who is Joe Flom?
5. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
6. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
7. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
8. What are proxy wars?
9. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
10. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)