|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gladwell says the Borgenichts are successful but never what?
2. What do the pilots instruments indicate?
(a) He is higher than he expects to be.
(b) He is out of fuel.
(c) He is lower than he expects to be.
(d) He has lots of fuel.
3. What grade level is the school?
(d) Community college.
4. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of religion.
(b) Culture of knowledge.
(c) Culture of belief.
(d) Culture of honor.
5. Why do farmers in Europe in the Middle Ages go into a sort of hibernation state?
(a) To keep their bodies from overwork.
(b) To keep from starving.
(c) To rest for the hard work in the Spring.
(d) To conserve energy and to eat less.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
2. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
3. Who are the Borgenichts?
4. What is a proxy war?
5. What does Gladwell say is an inviolate part of the school year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
2. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
3. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
4. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
5. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
6. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
7. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
8. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
9. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
10. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)