|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gladwell think is the reason for the success of the KIPP Academy?
(a) They welcome any student who wants to learn.
(b) They cater to advantaged children.
(c) They only admit those in the upper 10 percent of the IQ range.
(d) They have stepped outside the cultural legacy on which most public school systems are based.
2. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
(a) He does not mention their fuel situation at all.
3. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
(a) The ones who allow the children to choose what they want to do over the summer.
(b) The parents who are so busy, the children have to read to fill their time.
(c) The parents who force their children to work for pay over the summer.
(d) Those who engage their children and offer them opportunities continue to learn and improve over the summer.
4. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
(a) White shirt law firms.
(b) Black tie law firms.
(c) White shoe law firms.
(d) Black shoe law firms.
5. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
(a) A small portion of their crops.
(b) About half of the farmers' crops.
(c) The larger portion of their crops.
(d) None of the crops.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
2. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
3. How are these proxy wars characterized?
4. What grade level is the school?
5. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
2. How does understanding math relate to growing rice?
3. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
4. How does PDI explain the crash of the Colombian airliner?
5. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
6. What are proxy wars?
7. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
8. What is KIPP and who are its students?
9. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
10. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)