|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are people quick to do in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Defend their country.
(b) Put away their money.
(c) Defend their land.
(d) Defend their families.
2. Gladwell says the Borgenichts are successful but never what?
3. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
(a) A culture of honor.
(b) A very low PDI.
(c) A high PDI.
(d) Many plane crashes.
4. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
(a) A yearly festival in Harlan.
(b) A feud between the Howards and Turners.
(c) Competition to hire garment workers.
(d) Competition to buy potential mining land.
5. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
(b) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(c) Two families who continuously intermarry.
(d) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
2. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
3. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
4. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
5. Who are the Hatfields and McCoys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
2. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
3. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
4. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
5. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
6. What is entailed in growing rice?
7. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
8. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
9. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
10. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)