|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(b) A spirit of community.
(c) Feuds between two families.
(d) Large quartz mines.
2. When is Joe Flom born?
3. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
(b) Just in the summer.
(c) Two or three times a month.
(d) Just in the Spring.
4. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
(b) Well drained.
5. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(b) It engenders strong morals.
(c) It results in over stimulating the mind.
(d) It keeps young people out of trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
2. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
3. Who settles Harlan?
4. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
5. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
2. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
3. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
4. Describe the plane crash of Korean Airlines Flight 801 in 1997.
5. How does understanding math relate to growing rice?
6. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
7. What is entailed in growing rice?
8. Who is Joe Flom?
9. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
10. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)