|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It engenders strong morals.
(b) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(c) It keeps young people out of trouble.
(d) It results in over stimulating the mind.
2. Who are the Borgenichts?
(a) A group who eschew luxury.
(b) A family of vintners in New York.
(c) A family in the garment industry in New York.
(d) A family of lawyers from New England.
3. What is one type of work Joe Flom does when he is just out of college?
(a) Whatever he is told to do.
(b) Working with indigent patients at a public hospital.
(c) A take over of a public company.
(d) Buying and selling goods at trade shows.
4. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(b) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
(c) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
(d) Two families who continuously intermarry.
5. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) Luck of the Draw.
(b) Litigious distribution.
(c) High birth rates.
(d) Demographic luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the KIPP Academy?
2. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
3. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
4. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
5. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
2. How do Korean Airlines change their bad record of crashes?
3. What does Gladwell say about early American educational theorists?
4. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
5. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
6. What are proxy wars?
7. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
8. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
9. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
10. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)