|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It results in over stimulating the mind.
(b) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(c) It engenders strong morals.
(d) It keeps young people out of trouble.
2. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
(d) South Bronx.
3. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) He is born in a time when there is a high birth rate in the United States.
(b) He is born in a time when law is not a popular field in the United States.
(c) He is born in a time when there is a low birth rate in the United States.
(d) He is born in a time when the laws are favorable for Jewish people in the United States.
4. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Too much education is not good for average people.
(b) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
(c) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
(d) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
5. What is a proxy war?
(a) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
(b) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
(c) When two companies war over the same contract.
(d) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gladwell think is the reason for the success of the KIPP Academy?
2. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
3. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
4. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
5. What is not unique in Harlan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
2. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
3. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
4. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
5. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
6. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
7. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
8. What is entailed in growing rice?
9. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
10. What is KIPP and who are its students?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)