|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important thing in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Love of the land.
(b) Loyalty to clan or family.
(c) Loyalty to country.
(d) Frugal living.
2. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
(a) The parents who are so busy, the children have to read to fill their time.
(b) Those who engage their children and offer them opportunities continue to learn and improve over the summer.
(c) The parents who force their children to work for pay over the summer.
(d) The ones who allow the children to choose what they want to do over the summer.
3. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
(a) They are excluded from taking more respectable work.
(b) They like the excitement of it.
(c) They enjoy figuring out how to keep it just legal.
(d) They are able to save the companies a great deal of money.
4. Where is Harlan?
(a) In Western Tennessee.
(b) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
(c) In southwestern Kentucky.
(d) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
5. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(b) Feuds between two families.
(c) Large quartz mines.
(d) A spirit of community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
2. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
3. When does Korean Airline flight 801 crash?
4. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
5. From what region of the country are the angriest subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
2. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
3. What does Gladwell think is the cause of families feuding?
4. Who is Joe Flom?
5. What is Gladwell's interpretation of Cohen and Nisbett's experiment?
6. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
7. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
8. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
9. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
10. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)