|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(a) Skills as artists.
(b) Skills as tailors.
(c) Knowledge of wine making.
2. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
(a) College is just becoming popular and so colleges are competing to get students.
(b) The supply of students is relatively low.
(c) New universities are arising rapidly in this era.
(d) College is not valued at that time.
3. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
(a) Suing it.
(b) Helping it overcome its safety problems.
(c) Banning it from landing in their countries.
(d) Encourage it to operate in their country.
4. What does Gladwell think is the reason for the success of the KIPP Academy?
(a) They welcome any student who wants to learn.
(b) They only admit those in the upper 10 percent of the IQ range.
(c) They have stepped outside the cultural legacy on which most public school systems are based.
(d) They cater to advantaged children.
5. How do the experimenters know if the men's hormone levels rise?
(a) Saliva sample.
(b) Sweat breaking out on the face.
(c) Red in face.
(d) Blood work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Gladwell say the average student needs more?
2. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
3. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
4. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
5. What do farmers of the Middle Ages do in the summer in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there that summer vacations may be hindering the success of many students?
2. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
3. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
4. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
5. Who is Joe Flom?
6. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
7. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
8. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
9. What are proxy wars?
10. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)