|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
(a) Their old planes.
(b) Their pay structure.
(c) Their lack of good mechanics.
(d) Their cultural legacy.
2. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
(a) They enjoy figuring out how to keep it just legal.
(b) They like the excitement of it.
(c) They are able to save the companies a great deal of money.
(d) They are excluded from taking more respectable work.
3. What do the ask some college-aged men to do?
(a) Fast for 24 hours.
(b) Refrain from talking to any woman for 72 hours.
(c) Sit in a room alone for 24 hours.
(d) Fill out a questionaire.
4. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Too much education is not good for average people.
(b) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
(c) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
(d) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
5. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(b) Skills as tailors.
(c) Knowledge of wine making.
(d) Skills as artists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gladwell says the Borgenichts are successful but never what?
2. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
3. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
4. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
5. What is not unique in Harlan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suren Ratwatte say about a Colombian airliner that crashes in New York?
2. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
3. How do the students at KIPP Academy differ from those of other public schools?
4. Where is Harlan, and who settled it?
5. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
6. What is KIPP and who are its students?
7. Explain the term "Power Distance Index" and who coins the term.
8. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
9. How is a work ethic related to growing rice?
10. How does the crash of Flight 801 fit a pattern for Korean Airlines?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)