|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
(b) Finding one's own niche in society.
(c) Hard work.
2. What is one type of work Joe Flom does when he is just out of college?
(a) Buying and selling goods at trade shows.
(b) Whatever he is told to do.
(c) A take over of a public company.
(d) Working with indigent patients at a public hospital.
3. What is a proxy war?
(a) When two companies war over the same contract.
(b) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
(c) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
(d) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
4. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
(b) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
(c) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
(d) Too much education is not good for average people.
5. Where does it crash?
(a) North Korea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
2. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
3. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
4. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
5. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is KIPP and who are its students?
2. What is entailed in growing rice?
3. What is the third lesson of Joe Flom?
4. Why doesn't Joe Flom work for a large, prestigious law group when he graduates from law school?
5. What experiment do Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett conduct in the 1990s?
6. What is the second part of the experiment and the final result?
7. What is Gladwell's general premise about the connection between growing rice and the success of Asian peoples?
8. How does Harlan gain notoriety in its early days?
9. Why is Flom willing to work proxy wars?
10. What are proxy wars?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)