|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first half Matthew effect?
(a) Those who have much will get even more.
(b) A high IQ is required for chess success.
(c) When you're on a roll, sometimes you win just because your success intimidates.
(d) If it can't be seen, it can't be talked about and it can't win an Academy award.
2. What does Langan display at a very young age?
(a) A lack of social skills.
(b) The appearance of being slow.
(c) Average intelligence.
(d) Remarkable intelligence.
3. Which country's public school system has a similar effect to that found in Hungarian and Czechoslovakian soccer leagues?
4. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A British hockey coach.
(b) A Canadian psychologist.
(c) A German psychiatrist.
(d) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
5. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
(a) Most are all born close to midnight.
(b) Most are at least 180 cm. tall.
(c) Most are all at least 70 kg. in weight.
(d) Most are born in the first three months of the year.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Oppenheimer's social skills?
2. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
3. What college does Joy attend?
4. Why are children born in a certain part of the year more likely to stand out?
5. Who is Bill Joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anders Ericcson learn in a study he makes of musicians?
2. Where is Langan at the time Gladwell writes his book?
3. What did the experiment track and what are the results?
4. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
5. Who is Robert Oppenheimer and what does he accomplish?
6. Who is Bill Joy and what did he do?
7. Why is the local physician's claim unusual, and what does Wolf decide to do?
8. Describe Chris Langan's childhood and college years.
9. Where is Roseto and who founded it?
10. What are the unusual circumstances in the timing of Bill Joy's career in computer programming?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)