|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Memorial Cup?
(a) The highest trophy of the Russian Hockey League.
(b) The highest trophy of the American Hockey League.
(c) The highest trophy of the Canadian Hockey League.
(d) The highest trophy of the Swedish Hockey League.
2. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
(a) June 1 and September 1.
(b) There is no set determination.
(c) January 1 and June 1.
(d) January 1.
3. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(b) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
(c) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
(d) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
4. What is the age when this countries hockey play is at the pinnacle of success for young people?
5. Who developed the Stanford-Binet test?
(a) Lewis Terman.
(b) Todd Binet.
(c) John Stanford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
2. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
3. Why does Langan despair of publishing his theory?
4. What does Gladwell say is required for someone to succeed?
5. What does Oppenheimer succeed in getting himself appointed as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joy and some of his fellow students make it possible to use the computers more than is allowed and what is the result?
2. Who is Robert Oppenheimer and what does he accomplish?
3. What does having a high IQ give a person?
4. What does Gladwell say a surface examination of the Canadian hockey league system would suggest?
5. When are most of Canada's best hockey players born, and why does Barnley think that is so?
6. What does Gladwell say Langan does not seem to be able to do?
7. What experiment does Lewis Terman carry out beginning in the 1920s?
8. What does Anders Ericcson learn in a study he makes of musicians?
9. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
10. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)