|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed the Stanford-Binet test?
(a) John Stanford.
(b) Todd Binet.
(d) Lewis Terman.
2. What does Gladwell say one has to have to gain success?
(a) High intelligence and motivation.
(b) Just high intelligence.
(c) Just smart enough.
(d) High intelligence and a good family life.
3. What does Roger notice about the majority of the hockey players in the game he is watching?
(a) Most are born in the first three months of the year.
(b) Most are all born close to midnight.
(c) Most are all at least 70 kg. in weight.
(d) Most are at least 180 cm. tall.
4. What does Gladwell call having a higher IQ?
(a) A liability.
(b) A blessing.
(c) An advantage.
(d) A curse.
5. What is the conclusion Terman comes to about high IQ children?
(a) They actually fail more often than other children.
(b) They succeed or fail at the same rate as other children.
(c) They succeed just five percent more often than other children.
(d) They succeed fifty percent more often than other children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bill Joy?
2. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
3. What does Gladwell say has a threshold?
4. What was the leading killer of men under the age of 65 in the 1950s?
5. Why does Langan despair of publishing his theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gladwell say Langan does not seem to be able to do?
2. To what does Gladwell attribute the difference between Langan and Oppenheimer?
3. What makes Roseto an "outlier" town and how does this fact come to light?
4. What did the experiment track and what are the results?
5. Why is the local physician's claim unusual, and what does Wolf decide to do?
6. Who is Chris Langan?
7. How are students in the hockey leagues grouped and what is the way the children move into other leagues?
8. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
9. What does Gladwell say a surface examination of the Canadian hockey league system would suggest?
10. Where is Roseto and who founded it?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)