|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Wolf think it is not the region that is healthy?
(a) There is a great amount of environmental pollution in that area.
(b) He does think the region has some part in the town's health.
(c) There are two nearby towns that have heart disease at higher rates.
(d) Most of the towns in the region have similar health patterns as the rest of the United States.
2. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
(a) Slate quarry.
3. With whom does Wolf speak at Roseto?
(a) Several local ministers.
(b) Several sociology professors.
(c) A local physician.
(d) A local politician.
4. What does Gladwell delay discussing until the next chapter?
(a) Why highly intelligent people are seldom successful.
(b) The rest of Langan's story.
(c) The rest of Terman's story.
(d) How to use innate intelligence even if you do not have a high IQ.
5. Where does Langan end up living?
(a) Rural Mississippi.
(b) Rural South Dakota.
(c) Rural Wyoming.
(d) Rural Missouri.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Roger Barnsley?
2. What does Langan work on using his intelligence?
3. What computer language does Joy help create?
4. What does Gladwell say has a threshold?
5. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Chris Langan?
2. Describe Chris Langan's childhood and college years.
3. Where is Langan at the time Gladwell writes his book?
4. What did the experiment track and what are the results?
5. How are students in the hockey leagues grouped and what is the way the children move into other leagues?
6. What does Gladwell write about the rock group called The Beatles?
7. What table of data does Gladwell insert in his book at this point?
8. Who is Bill Joy and what did he do?
9. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
10. What does having a high IQ give a person?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)