|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oppenheimer succeed in getting himself appointed as?
(a) The FBI's forensics unit.
(b) The CIA couterintelligence division.
(c) A professorship at MIT.
(d) The leader of the Manhattan Project.
2. Who is Anders Ericcson?
(a) A psychologist.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) A sociologist.
(d) A statistician.
3. What is the conclusion Terman comes to about high IQ children?
(a) They succeed fifty percent more often than other children.
(b) They succeed just five percent more often than other children.
(c) They actually fail more often than other children.
(d) They succeed or fail at the same rate as other children.
4. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
(a) His mother does not turn in required paperwork.
(b) His grades fall.
(c) He fails to work the amount of hours he is supposed to.
(d) He will not major in what is required by the scholarship.
5. What does Gladwell address before he finishes the story about Chris Langan?
(a) The subject of IQ.
(b) The school system in which Langan grows up.
(c) The idea of IQ having very litte accuracy.
(d) The family of geniuses from which Langan comes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stewart Wolf?
2. Who is Roger Barnsley?
3. How many of the musicians make it to the highest level of musicianship through talent alone?
4. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
5. What does Gladwell say Roseto, Pennsylvania is an example of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does IQ stand for and who developed a test to measure it?
2. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
3. Who is Chris Langan?
4. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
5. Why is the local physician's claim unusual, and what does Wolf decide to do?
6. How does Joy and some of his fellow students make it possible to use the computers more than is allowed and what is the result?
7. How are students in the hockey leagues grouped and what is the way the children move into other leagues?
8. To what does Gladwell attribute the difference between Langan and Oppenheimer?
9. Where is Langan at the time Gladwell writes his book?
10. What did the experiment track and what are the results?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)