|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
(b) A British hockey coach.
(c) A German psychiatrist.
(d) A Canadian psychologist.
2. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) Teach hockey in colleges.
(b) Play professionally.
(c) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(d) Coach professional hockey teams.
3. What do the residents of Roseto reconstruct?
(a) An American version of the structure of European society.
(b) An American version of their Italian homeland.
(c) An experiment in liberality.
(d) An experiment in moving from a lower to middle class.
4. With whom does Bill Gates found Microsoft?
(a) Steve Jobs.
(b) Paul Allen.
(c) Bill Joy.
(d) He founds it by himself.
5. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
(a) January 1.
(b) June 1 and September 1.
(c) There is no set determination.
(d) January 1 and June 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours does one have to practice something to become an expert?
2. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
3. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
4. What was the leading killer of men under the age of 65 in the 1950s?
5. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
2. What does IQ stand for and who developed a test to measure it?
3. What is Langan working on and when does he expect to publish it?
4. With what definition does Gladwell open his book?
5. Who is Robert Oppenheimer and what does he accomplish?
6. To what does Gladwell attribute the difference between Langan and Oppenheimer?
7. Who is Chris Langan?
8. Where is Langan at the time Gladwell writes his book?
9. What did the experiment track and what are the results?
10. What table of data does Gladwell insert in his book at this point?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)