|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anders Ericcson?
(a) A sociologist.
(b) A psychologist.
(c) A statistician.
(d) A psychiatrist.
2. Where does Langan grow up?
(d) South Dakota.
3. What is the Stanford-Binet test?
(a) A test for mutant genes in a family line.
(b) A test for behavior psychosis.
(c) A test for unusual blood patterns.
(d) A test for intelligence.
4. What does Lewis Terman begin doing in the 1920s?
(a) Trying to raise IQ scores through rigorous training.
(b) Trying to measure resistance to intelligence.
(c) Following the lives of very intelligent children.
(d) Trying to develop a non-biased IQ test.
5. What band does Gladwell examine in this chapter?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) Led Zeppelin.
(c) The Doors.
(d) Herman's Hermits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gladwell say about the residents of Roseto as far as their health?
2. What does Oppenheimer have difficulty with when he is young?
3. What does Joy do almost day in and day out at college?
4. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
5. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the origination of the title of this chapter, "The Matthew Effect"?
2. What does Wolf finally decide is the reason for the low number of heart disease-related deaths?
3. What does Wolf investigate and what does he learn?
4. What is the 10,000-Hour Rule?
5. Describe Canada's system of amateur hockey leagues.
6. What does having a high IQ give a person?
7. What does Gladwell say Langan does not seem to be able to do?
8. Describe Chris Langan's childhood and college years.
9. What is Langan working on and when does he expect to publish it?
10. When are most of Canada's best hockey players born, and why does Barnley think that is so?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)