|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
(b) Well drained.
2. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) Keep it.
(b) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
(c) Gladwell does not say.
(d) Share it.
3. What does Gladwell think is the reason for the success of the KIPP Academy?
(a) They only admit those in the upper 10 percent of the IQ range.
(b) They have stepped outside the cultural legacy on which most public school systems are based.
(c) They welcome any student who wants to learn.
(d) They cater to advantaged children.
4. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(b) Large quartz mines.
(c) Feuds between two families.
(d) A spirit of community.
5. Who are the Borgenichts?
(a) A family in the garment industry in New York.
(b) A family of vintners in New York.
(c) A group who eschew luxury.
(d) A family of lawyers from New England.
6. Why do farmers in Europe in the Middle Ages go into a sort of hibernation state?
(a) To conserve energy and to eat less.
(b) To rest for the hard work in the Spring.
(c) To keep from starving.
(d) To keep their bodies from overwork.
7. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) The school that Marita goes to.
(b) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(c) A public high school.
(d) A private, well-funded high school.
8. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
(b) Just that one.
9. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
(a) Heavy smoke.
(b) Heavy rain.
(c) The electricity is off.
(d) Heavy fog.
10. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
(a) Those who engage their children and offer them opportunities continue to learn and improve over the summer.
(b) The parents who force their children to work for pay over the summer.
(c) The parents who are so busy, the children have to read to fill their time.
(d) The ones who allow the children to choose what they want to do over the summer.
11. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
12. What do the pilots instruments indicate?
(a) He is lower than he expects to be.
(b) He has lots of fuel.
(c) He is out of fuel.
(d) He is higher than he expects to be.
13. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) Any wars going on.
(b) It is fixed.
(c) The weather.
(d) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
14. What grade level is the school?
(a) Community college.
15. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
(a) Their pay structure.
(b) Their old planes.
(c) Their lack of good mechanics.
(d) Their cultural legacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one characteristic of a rice paddy?
2. What do farmers of the Middle Ages do in the summer in Europe?
3. Who are the Howards and Turners?
4. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
5. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)