|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Korean Airline flight 801 crash?
2. What grade level is the school?
(a) Community college.
3. What do the men have to do after performing the task asked of them?
(a) Write up their impressions of the experience.
(b) Walk down a hall to hand it in.
(c) Undergo a battery of psychological tests.
(d) Share their experience with an audience.
4. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(b) Two families who continuously intermarry.
(c) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
(d) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
5. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
(b) Finding one's own niche in society.
(c) Hard work.
6. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
(a) The electricity is off.
(b) Heavy rain.
(c) Heavy smoke.
(d) Heavy fog.
7. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Mining groups.
(b) Herding groups.
(c) Industrial groups.
(d) Farming groups.
8. Of what does Gladwell say he hopes his readers are skeptical?
(a) Typical rags-to-riches stories.
(b) Typical people.
(c) The need for success.
(d) Gladwell's statistics.
9. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of honor.
(b) Culture of belief.
(c) Culture of religion.
(d) Culture of knowledge.
10. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
(a) How human behavior can affect success.
(b) How human behavior can affect flight safety.
(c) How human behavior can affect perceived threats.
(d) How human behavior can affect longevity.
11. What are people quick to do in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Defend their country.
(b) Defend their families.
(c) Put away their money.
(d) Defend their land.
12. Who are the Borgenichts?
(a) A family of vintners in New York.
(b) A group who eschew luxury.
(c) A family of lawyers from New England.
(d) A family in the garment industry in New York.
13. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) The weather.
(b) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
(c) Any wars going on.
(d) It is fixed.
14. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
(d) Washington, D. C.
15. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) Share it.
(b) Gladwell does not say.
(c) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
(d) Keep it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Joe Flom born?
2. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
3. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
4. What do the pilots instruments indicate?
5. How do the experimenters know if the men's hormone levels rise?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)