|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who settles Harlan?
(a) Scottish immigrants.
(b) Dutch immigrants.
(c) Irish immigrants.
(d) British immigrants from the norther part of the British Isles.
2. What is the most important thing in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Love of the land.
(b) Loyalty to country.
(c) Frugal living.
(d) Loyalty to clan or family.
3. When is Harlan settled?
4. What does George Hofstede research?
(a) Plane crashes.
(b) Cultural differences within a country.
(c) Cultural differences among countries.
(d) Training routines.
5. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
(a) It's never been measured.
(d) About in the middle.
6. What cultural legacy among Asian peoples does Gladwell discuss?
(d) Rice paddies.
7. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(b) A spirit of community.
(c) Large quartz mines.
(d) Feuds between two families.
8. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
(a) Correct evaculation procedures.
(b) How low their fuel is.
(c) Why their plane is on fire.
(d) Their altitude.
9. How is the pilot described?
(a) Very experienced.
(b) A workaholic.
(c) An alcoholic.
(d) Fairly inexperienced.
10. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
(a) The smartest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(b) The poorest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(c) The most average studentsstudents make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(d) Only the very brightest students students make progress in their reading skills over the summer.
11. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Farming groups.
(b) Industrial groups.
(c) Herding groups.
(d) Mining groups.
12. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
(a) College is just becoming popular and so colleges are competing to get students.
(b) College is not valued at that time.
(c) New universities are arising rapidly in this era.
(d) The supply of students is relatively low.
13. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
(c) South America.
(d) North America.
14. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) He is born in a time when law is not a popular field in the United States.
(b) He is born in a time when there is a low birth rate in the United States.
(c) He is born in a time when there is a high birth rate in the United States.
(d) He is born in a time when the laws are favorable for Jewish people in the United States.
15. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
(d) Well drained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
2. What is a proxy war?
3. Who are the Hatfields and McCoys?
4. What is the KIPP Academy?
5. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)