|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(b) It keeps young people out of trouble.
(c) It results in over stimulating the mind.
(d) It engenders strong morals.
2. Where is Harlan?
(a) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
(b) In Western Tennessee.
(c) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
(d) In southwestern Kentucky.
3. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
(b) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
(c) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(d) Two families who continuously intermarry.
4. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(b) A private, well-funded high school.
(c) A public high school.
(d) The school that Marita goes to.
5. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) He is born in a time when law is not a popular field in the United States.
(b) He is born in a time when the laws are favorable for Jewish people in the United States.
(c) He is born in a time when there is a low birth rate in the United States.
(d) He is born in a time when there is a high birth rate in the United States.
6. Of what heritage is Joe Flom?
7. What does Gladwell say is an inviolate part of the school year?
(a) Changing classes.
(c) Summer vacation.
(d) Moving from grade to grade without challenge.
8. From what region of the country are the angriest subjects?
(c) They are all equally angry.
9. What are people quick to do in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Defend their land.
(b) Put away their money.
(c) Defend their families.
(d) Defend their country.
10. When is Harlan settled?
11. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
(a) How human behavior can affect perceived threats.
(b) How human behavior can affect flight safety.
(c) How human behavior can affect longevity.
(d) How human behavior can affect success.
12. Who are the Hatfields and McCoys?
(a) Another feuding family in Kentucky.
(b) Two other garment-industry families in Tennessee.
(c) The owners of the most profitable coal mines in West Virginia.
(d) The most wealthy families in Kentucky.
13. Gladwell says the Borgenichts are successful but never what?
14. What pattern does Gladwell examine in Kentucky?
(a) Families who go into the tobacco industry.
(b) Families who go into the garment industry.
(c) Family feuds.
(d) Families who go into coal mining.
15. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) High birth rates.
(b) Luck of the Draw.
(c) Litigious distribution.
(d) Demographic luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
2. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
3. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
4. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
5. How is the pilot described?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)