|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Harlan settled?
2. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
(a) Their lack of good mechanics.
(b) Their pay structure.
(c) Their cultural legacy.
(d) Their old planes.
3. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of belief.
(b) Culture of religion.
(c) Culture of knowledge.
(d) Culture of honor.
4. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
(a) Heavy rain.
(b) Heavy fog.
(c) The electricity is off.
(d) Heavy smoke.
5. What is one characteristic of a rice paddy?
(a) It requires very little water.
(b) It is a complicated system.
(c) It requires very little attention.
(d) It is a fairly simple system.
6. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
(a) CEO of a technological corporation.
(c) CEO of a trade corporation.
7. What are people quick to do in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Defend their families.
(b) Defend their land.
(c) Defend their country.
(d) Put away their money.
8. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
(b) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(c) Two families who continuously intermarry.
(d) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
9. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
(b) Well drained.
10. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
(b) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
(c) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
(d) Too much education is not good for average people.
11. Who are the Borgenichts?
(a) A family of lawyers from New England.
(b) A group who eschew luxury.
(c) A family of vintners in New York.
(d) A family in the garment industry in New York.
12. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
(b) South America.
(c) North America.
13. Who settles Harlan?
(a) Irish immigrants.
(b) Dutch immigrants.
(c) British immigrants from the norther part of the British Isles.
(d) Scottish immigrants.
14. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
(a) The smartest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(b) The poorest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(c) Only the very brightest students students make progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(d) The most average studentsstudents make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
15. What do the ask some college-aged men to do?
(a) Refrain from talking to any woman for 72 hours.
(b) Sit in a room alone for 24 hours.
(c) Fill out a questionaire.
(d) Fast for 24 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
2. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
3. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
4. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
5. What is a proxy war?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)