|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
(a) The larger portion of their crops.
(b) None of the crops.
(c) A small portion of their crops.
(d) About half of the farmers' crops.
2. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
(a) They enjoy figuring out how to keep it just legal.
(b) They are able to save the companies a great deal of money.
(c) They like the excitement of it.
(d) They are excluded from taking more respectable work.
3. What is a proxy war?
(a) When two companies war over the same contract.
(b) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
(c) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
(d) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
4. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
(a) Those who engage their children and offer them opportunities continue to learn and improve over the summer.
(b) The parents who force their children to work for pay over the summer.
(c) The ones who allow the children to choose what they want to do over the summer.
(d) The parents who are so busy, the children have to read to fill their time.
5. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(a) Knowledge of wine making.
(c) Skills as tailors.
(d) Skills as artists.
6. Where does it crash?
(a) North Korea.
7. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
(a) From being Hispanic.
(b) Because he did not make good grades in college.
(c) From being Jewish.
(d) From being Irish.
8. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
(b) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(c) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
(d) Two families who continuously intermarry.
9. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) Gladwell does not say.
(b) Keep it.
(c) Share it.
(d) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
10. How are these proxy wars characterized?
(b) Hostile and messy.
(d) Borderline illegal.
11. Where is Harlan?
(a) In southwestern Kentucky.
(b) In Western Tennessee.
(c) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
(d) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
12. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
(b) Doctors and lawyers.
(c) Artists in various areas.
13. What does George Hofstede research?
(a) Cultural differences within a country.
(b) Cultural differences among countries.
(c) Plane crashes.
(d) Training routines.
14. When is Harlan settled?
15. What grade level is the school?
(a) Community college.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
2. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
3. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
4. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
5. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)