|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Korean Airline flight 801 crash?
2. Who settles Harlan?
(a) Scottish immigrants.
(b) Dutch immigrants.
(c) Irish immigrants.
(d) British immigrants from the norther part of the British Isles.
3. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
(b) Just that one.
4. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
(a) White shirt law firms.
(b) Black tie law firms.
(c) White shoe law firms.
(d) Black shoe law firms.
5. What does Korean airlines determine about their flight crew members?
(a) They are inattentive and undertrained.
(b) They are some of the best trained in the airline industry.
(c) They are average for the airline industry.
(d) They are unhappy.
6. How are these proxy wars characterized?
(a) Borderline illegal.
(c) Hostile and messy.
7. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
(a) Only the very brightest students students make progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(b) The most average studentsstudents make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(c) The smartest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(d) The poorest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
8. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
(a) The supply of students is relatively low.
(b) College is not valued at that time.
(c) New universities are arising rapidly in this era.
(d) College is just becoming popular and so colleges are competing to get students.
9. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
(d) He does not mention their fuel situation at all.
10. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
11. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
(a) Many plane crashes.
(b) A culture of honor.
(c) A high PDI.
(d) A very low PDI.
12. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
(b) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
(c) Too much education is not good for average people.
(d) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
13. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
(a) Their lack of good mechanics.
(b) Their old planes.
(c) Their cultural legacy.
(d) Their pay structure.
14. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Herding groups.
(b) Industrial groups.
(c) Farming groups.
(d) Mining groups.
15. What grade level is the school?
(a) Community college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does it crash?
2. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
3. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
4. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
5. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)