|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
(b) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
(c) Too much education is not good for average people.
(d) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
2. What neighborhood feeds into KIPP Academy?
(a) It draws from the entire New York City.
(b) One of the worst in the city.
(c) An upper-class area.
(d) An upper, middle-class area.
3. What cultural legacy among Asian peoples does Gladwell discuss?
(a) Rice paddies.
4. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Mining groups.
(b) Farming groups.
(c) Industrial groups.
(d) Herding groups.
5. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) A private, well-funded high school.
(b) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(c) The school that Marita goes to.
(d) A public high school.
6. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
(c) Finding one's own niche in society.
(d) Hard work.
7. When does Korean Airline flight 801 crash?
8. What are people quick to do in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Put away their money.
(b) Defend their families.
(c) Defend their land.
(d) Defend their country.
9. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
(b) It's never been measured.
(d) About in the middle.
10. What does George Hofstede research?
(a) Cultural differences among countries.
(b) Training routines.
(c) Cultural differences within a country.
(d) Plane crashes.
11. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
(d) He does not mention their fuel situation at all.
12. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) The weather.
(b) Any wars going on.
(c) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
(d) It is fixed.
13. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
(c) Well drained.
14. Why do farmers in Europe in the Middle Ages go into a sort of hibernation state?
(a) To keep from starving.
(b) To rest for the hard work in the Spring.
(c) To conserve energy and to eat less.
(d) To keep their bodies from overwork.
15. What is a proxy war?
(a) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
(b) When two companies war over the same contract.
(c) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
(d) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
2. Of what does Gladwell say the average student needs more?
3. Where is Harlan?
4. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
5. Of what heritage is Joe Flom?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)