|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Harlan?
(a) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
(b) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
(c) In Western Tennessee.
(d) In southwestern Kentucky.
2. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) The school that Marita goes to.
(b) A private, well-funded high school.
(c) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(d) A public high school.
3. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
(a) How human behavior can affect success.
(b) How human behavior can affect flight safety.
(c) How human behavior can affect longevity.
(d) How human behavior can affect perceived threats.
4. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
(a) Just that one.
5. How is the pilot described?
(a) Very experienced.
(b) A workaholic.
(c) Fairly inexperienced.
(d) An alcoholic.
6. Who are the Hatfields and McCoys?
(a) The most wealthy families in Kentucky.
(b) Two other garment-industry families in Tennessee.
(c) Another feuding family in Kentucky.
(d) The owners of the most profitable coal mines in West Virginia.
7. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) A spirit of community.
(b) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(c) Large quartz mines.
(d) Feuds between two families.
8. Of what does Gladwell say he hopes his readers are skeptical?
(a) Typical rags-to-riches stories.
(b) Typical people.
(c) Gladwell's statistics.
(d) The need for success.
9. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
(a) Two or three times a month.
(b) Just in the Spring.
(c) Just in the summer.
10. Who are the Howards and Turners?
(a) Two large families who settle in Harlan.
(b) Two families who continuously intermarry.
(c) Two families who go into the mining business in Harlan.
(d) Two families who go into the garment business in Harlan.
11. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) Demographic luck.
(b) Litigious distribution.
(c) Luck of the Draw.
(d) High birth rates.
12. What do the ask some college-aged men to do?
(a) Sit in a room alone for 24 hours.
(b) Refrain from talking to any woman for 72 hours.
(c) Fill out a questionaire.
(d) Fast for 24 hours.
13. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) He is born in a time when law is not a popular field in the United States.
(b) He is born in a time when there is a low birth rate in the United States.
(c) He is born in a time when there is a high birth rate in the United States.
(d) He is born in a time when the laws are favorable for Jewish people in the United States.
14. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
(a) They enjoy figuring out how to keep it just legal.
(b) They are excluded from taking more respectable work.
(c) They are able to save the companies a great deal of money.
(d) They like the excitement of it.
15. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
(a) White shirt law firms.
(b) Black shoe law firms.
(c) White shoe law firms.
(d) Black tie law firms.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
2. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
3. What is a proxy war?
4. When is Harlan settled?
5. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)