|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
(a) No one.
(b) One of the audience members.
(c) A man partially blocking the hallway.
(d) One of the psychologists interviewing the men.
2. When does Korean Airline flight 801 crash?
3. What do the pilots instruments indicate?
(a) He has lots of fuel.
(b) He is out of fuel.
(c) He is higher than he expects to be.
(d) He is lower than he expects to be.
4. What does Korean Airlines perform?
(a) Fire all of the employees.
(b) A extensive retrofit of their planes.
(c) An upgrade to their planes.
(d) An internal audit.
5. What is one characteristic of a rice paddy?
(a) It is a complicated system.
(b) It requires very little water.
(c) It is a fairly simple system.
(d) It requires very little attention.
6. What do farmers of the Middle Ages do in the summer in Europe?
(a) They work on making the earth better for planting.
(b) They separate seeds and set out starter pots.
(c) They are mostly idle.
(d) They do the sewing and mending.
7. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
(a) The speaker.
(b) The listener.
(c) It depends on the relative social status of the two who are interacting.
(d) Equally between the listener and speaker.
8. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
(a) Two or three times a month.
(c) Just in the Spring.
(d) Just in the summer.
9. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(a) Skills as tailors.
(c) Knowledge of wine making.
(d) Skills as artists.
10. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
(a) A yearly festival in Harlan.
(b) A feud between the Howards and Turners.
(c) Competition to hire garment workers.
(d) Competition to buy potential mining land.
11. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(b) A private, well-funded high school.
(c) The school that Marita goes to.
(d) A public high school.
12. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of knowledge.
(b) Culture of honor.
(c) Culture of religion.
(d) Culture of belief.
13. What grade level is the school?
(b) Community college.
14. What is a proxy war?
(a) When two companies war over the same contract.
(b) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
(c) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
(d) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
15. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
(a) The most average studentsstudents make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(b) The smartest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(c) The poorest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(d) Only the very brightest students students make progress in their reading skills over the summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
2. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
3. What pattern does Gladwell examine in Kentucky?
4. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
5. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)