|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
(b) Keep it.
(c) Share it.
(d) Gladwell does not say.
2. What neighborhood feeds into KIPP Academy?
(a) An upper, middle-class area.
(b) It draws from the entire New York City.
(c) An upper-class area.
(d) One of the worst in the city.
3. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Large quartz mines.
(b) Feuds between two families.
(c) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(d) A spirit of community.
4. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) He is born in a time when the laws are favorable for Jewish people in the United States.
(b) He is born in a time when law is not a popular field in the United States.
(c) He is born in a time when there is a high birth rate in the United States.
(d) He is born in a time when there is a low birth rate in the United States.
5. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) Litigious distribution.
(b) High birth rates.
(c) Demographic luck.
(d) Luck of the Draw.
6. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(a) Skills as tailors.
(b) Knowledge of wine making.
(d) Skills as artists.
7. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
(a) A man partially blocking the hallway.
(b) One of the psychologists interviewing the men.
(c) One of the audience members.
(d) No one.
8. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
(a) From being Jewish.
(b) From being Hispanic.
(c) Because he did not make good grades in college.
(d) From being Irish.
9. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It keeps young people out of trouble.
(b) It results in over stimulating the mind.
(c) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(d) It engenders strong morals.
10. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
(a) Many plane crashes.
(b) A culture of honor.
(c) A high PDI.
(d) A very low PDI.
11. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
(a) CEO of a trade corporation.
(c) CEO of a technological corporation.
12. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
13. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
(a) How human behavior can affect perceived threats.
(b) How human behavior can affect longevity.
(c) How human behavior can affect flight safety.
(d) How human behavior can affect success.
14. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
(c) Just that one.
15. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
(c) Finding one's own niche in society.
(d) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
2. What is the KIPP Academy?
3. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
4. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
5. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)