|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Hatfields and McCoys?
(a) The owners of the most profitable coal mines in West Virginia.
(b) The most wealthy families in Kentucky.
(c) Another feuding family in Kentucky.
(d) Two other garment-industry families in Tennessee.
2. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
(b) Gladwell does not say.
(c) Keep it.
(d) Share it.
3. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
(a) South America.
(c) North America.
4. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
(a) The parents who are so busy, the children have to read to fill their time.
(b) The parents who force their children to work for pay over the summer.
(c) The ones who allow the children to choose what they want to do over the summer.
(d) Those who engage their children and offer them opportunities continue to learn and improve over the summer.
5. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(b) Knowledge of wine making.
(c) Skills as tailors.
(d) Skills as artists.
6. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
(b) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
(c) Too much education is not good for average people.
(d) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
7. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
(b) It's never been measured.
(d) About in the middle.
8. Why do farmers in Europe in the Middle Ages go into a sort of hibernation state?
(a) To conserve energy and to eat less.
(b) To rest for the hard work in the Spring.
(c) To keep from starving.
(d) To keep their bodies from overwork.
9. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
10. What does Gladwell say about reading schools at the end of one year compared to at the beginning of the next year?
(a) The smartest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(b) Only the very brightest students students make progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(c) The poorest students make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
(d) The most average studentsstudents make no progress in their reading skills over the summer.
11. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
(a) Correct evaculation procedures.
(b) Their altitude.
(c) How low their fuel is.
(d) Why their plane is on fire.
12. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) A private, well-funded high school.
(b) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(c) A public high school.
(d) The school that Marita goes to.
13. Where do Cohen and Nisbett conduct an experiment?
(a) University of Kentucky.
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) University of Maine.
(d) University of Illinois.
14. What does Korean Airlines perform?
(a) An internal audit.
(b) A extensive retrofit of their planes.
(c) Fire all of the employees.
(d) An upgrade to their planes.
15. What is one type of work Joe Flom does when he is just out of college?
(a) Whatever he is told to do.
(b) Buying and selling goods at trade shows.
(c) A take over of a public company.
(d) Working with indigent patients at a public hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
2. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
3. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
4. What is the most important thing in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
5. What do the ask some college-aged men to do?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)