|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are people quick to do in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Defend their land.
(b) Defend their country.
(c) Put away their money.
(d) Defend their families.
2. Who are the Borgenichts?
(a) A family of lawyers from New England.
(b) A family of vintners in New York.
(c) A group who eschew luxury.
(d) A family in the garment industry in New York.
3. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
(a) Two or three times a month.
(c) Just in the summer.
(d) Just in the Spring.
4. What grade level is the school?
(c) Community college.
5. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(b) It engenders strong morals.
(c) It keeps young people out of trouble.
(d) It results in over stimulating the mind.
6. Where do Cohen and Nisbett conduct an experiment?
(a) University of Kentucky.
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) University of Illinois.
(d) University of Maine.
7. What does Gladwell say is an inviolate part of the school year?
(b) Moving from grade to grade without challenge.
(c) Changing classes.
(d) Summer vacation.
8. Where does it crash?
(c) North Korea.
9. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
10. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
(a) Finding one's own niche in society.
(d) Hard work.
11. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of religion.
(b) Culture of belief.
(c) Culture of honor.
(d) Culture of knowledge.
12. How are rice plants weeded and harvested?
(a) With two special machines.
(b) With one machine.
(c) By hand.
(d) It depends on the species of rice.
13. Of what does Gladwell say the average student needs more?
(a) Summer break.
(b) Better facilities.
(d) Breaks throughout the year.
14. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(b) The school that Marita goes to.
(c) A public high school.
(d) A private, well-funded high school.
15. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(a) Skills as tailors.
(b) Knowledge of wine making.
(c) Skills as artists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
2. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
3. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
4. Who are the Howards and Turners?
5. Where is Harlan?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)