|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
(a) Their pay structure.
(b) Their lack of good mechanics.
(c) Their cultural legacy.
(d) Their old planes.
2. How often does the rice farmer have to tend to the rice paddies?
(a) Just in the summer.
(b) Two or three times a month.
(c) Just in the Spring.
3. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
4. How are rice plants weeded and harvested?
(a) It depends on the species of rice.
(b) With two special machines.
(c) By hand.
(d) With one machine.
5. What pattern does Gladwell examine in Kentucky?
(a) Family feuds.
(b) Families who go into the tobacco industry.
(c) Families who go into the garment industry.
(d) Families who go into coal mining.
6. What does Gladwell think is the reason for the success of the KIPP Academy?
(a) They welcome any student who wants to learn.
(b) They only admit those in the upper 10 percent of the IQ range.
(c) They cater to advantaged children.
(d) They have stepped outside the cultural legacy on which most public school systems are based.
7. How is the pilot described?
(a) A workaholic.
(b) An alcoholic.
(c) Fairly inexperienced.
(d) Very experienced.
8. What do the ask some college-aged men to do?
(a) Fast for 24 hours.
(b) Fill out a questionaire.
(c) Refrain from talking to any woman for 72 hours.
(d) Sit in a room alone for 24 hours.
9. What does Korean airlines determine about their flight crew members?
(a) They are some of the best trained in the airline industry.
(b) They are unhappy.
(c) They are inattentive and undertrained.
(d) They are average for the airline industry.
10. Where is Harlan?
(a) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
(b) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
(c) In Western Tennessee.
(d) In southwestern Kentucky.
11. What do the men have to do after performing the task asked of them?
(a) Walk down a hall to hand it in.
(b) Undergo a battery of psychological tests.
(c) Write up their impressions of the experience.
(d) Share their experience with an audience.
12. What is the PDI of people of the United States?
(b) About in the middle.
(d) It's never been measured.
13. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of belief.
(b) Culture of knowledge.
(c) Culture of religion.
(d) Culture of honor.
14. Who are the Borgenichts?
(a) A family of lawyers from New England.
(b) A family in the garment industry in New York.
(c) A group who eschew luxury.
(d) A family of vintners in New York.
15. When is Joe Flom born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Cohen and Nisbett conduct an experiment?
2. Why does Flom and those of his generation have their pick of good schools?
3. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
4. What do the pilots instruments indicate?
5. Of what does Gladwell say the average student needs more?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)