|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the KIPP Academy?
(a) A private, well-funded elementary school.
(b) A public high school.
(c) A private, well-funded high school.
(d) The school that Marita goes to.
2. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) The weather.
(b) It is fixed.
(c) Any wars going on.
(d) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
3. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
(b) Hard work.
(c) Finding one's own niche in society.
4. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) Share it.
(b) Gladwell does not say.
(c) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
(d) Keep it.
5. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
(a) They are excluded from taking more respectable work.
(b) They enjoy figuring out how to keep it just legal.
(c) They are able to save the companies a great deal of money.
(d) They like the excitement of it.
6. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
(a) The ones who allow the children to choose what they want to do over the summer.
(b) Those who engage their children and offer them opportunities continue to learn and improve over the summer.
(c) The parents who are so busy, the children have to read to fill their time.
(d) The parents who force their children to work for pay over the summer.
7. What grade level is the school?
(a) Community college.
8. What is a proxy war?
(a) When two companies war over the same contract.
(b) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
(c) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
(d) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
9. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
(a) Competition to buy potential mining land.
(b) A yearly festival in Harlan.
(c) A feud between the Howards and Turners.
(d) Competition to hire garment workers.
10. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
(b) South America.
(d) North America.
11. What neighborhood feeds into KIPP Academy?
(a) It draws from the entire New York City.
(b) One of the worst in the city.
(c) An upper, middle-class area.
(d) An upper-class area.
12. What pattern does Gladwell examine in Kentucky?
(a) Families who go into coal mining.
(b) Families who go into the tobacco industry.
(c) Families who go into the garment industry.
(d) Family feuds.
13. From what region of the country are the angriest subjects?
(c) They are all equally angry.
14. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
(a) Helping it overcome its safety problems.
(b) Banning it from landing in their countries.
(c) Encourage it to operate in their country.
(d) Suing it.
15. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
(a) A small portion of their crops.
(b) About half of the farmers' crops.
(c) The larger portion of their crops.
(d) None of the crops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what heritage is Joe Flom?
2. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
3. Who settles Harlan?
4. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
5. Where does it crash?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)