|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Korean airlines determine about their flight crew members?
(a) They are some of the best trained in the airline industry.
(b) They are inattentive and undertrained.
(c) They are unhappy.
(d) They are average for the airline industry.
2. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
(b) South Bronx.
3. What neighborhood feeds into KIPP Academy?
(a) An upper-class area.
(b) One of the worst in the city.
(c) It draws from the entire New York City.
(d) An upper, middle-class area.
4. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
5. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
(d) Well drained.
6. What is the most important thing in the type of culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Loyalty to clan or family.
(b) Love of the land.
(c) Loyalty to country.
(d) Frugal living.
7. What do the men have to do after performing the task asked of them?
(a) Undergo a battery of psychological tests.
(b) Walk down a hall to hand it in.
(c) Share their experience with an audience.
(d) Write up their impressions of the experience.
8. How do the experimenters know if the men's hormone levels rise?
(a) Red in face.
(b) Saliva sample.
(c) Blood work.
(d) Sweat breaking out on the face.
9. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
(a) A small portion of their crops.
(b) None of the crops.
(c) About half of the farmers' crops.
(d) The larger portion of their crops.
10. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
(a) How human behavior can affect perceived threats.
(b) How human behavior can affect flight safety.
(c) How human behavior can affect longevity.
(d) How human behavior can affect success.
11. What occasionally erupts into violence and murder?
(a) Competition to hire garment workers.
(b) A yearly festival in Harlan.
(c) A feud between the Howards and Turners.
(d) Competition to buy potential mining land.
12. Why does Joe Flom have trouble getting a job after college?
(a) Because he did not make good grades in college.
(b) From being Jewish.
(c) From being Irish.
(d) From being Hispanic.
13. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) Any wars going on.
(b) The weather.
(c) It is fixed.
(d) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
14. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
(a) They enjoy figuring out how to keep it just legal.
(b) They are able to save the companies a great deal of money.
(c) They like the excitement of it.
(d) They are excluded from taking more respectable work.
15. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
2. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
3. What does Korean Airlines perform?
4. What is a proxy war?
5. How is the pilot described?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)