|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the ground have to be like for a successful rice paddy?
(c) Well drained.
2. What do farmers of the Middle Ages do in the summer in Europe?
(a) They separate seeds and set out starter pots.
(b) They work on making the earth better for planting.
(c) They are mostly idle.
(d) They do the sewing and mending.
3. What do the pilots instruments indicate?
(a) He is out of fuel.
(b) He is higher than he expects to be.
(c) He is lower than he expects to be.
(d) He has lots of fuel.
4. What does Korean airlines determine about their flight crew members?
(a) They are average for the airline industry.
(b) They are unhappy.
(c) They are some of the best trained in the airline industry.
(d) They are inattentive and undertrained.
5. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
(b) Artists in various areas.
(d) Doctors and lawyers.
6. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Large quartz mines.
(b) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(c) A spirit of community.
(d) Feuds between two families.
7. Where does it crash?
(b) North Korea.
8. What do the Borgenichts have that is in demand in the United States?
(b) Skills as artists.
(c) Skills as tailors.
(d) Knowledge of wine making.
9. What cultural legacy among Asian peoples does Gladwell discuss?
(b) Rice paddies.
10. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
(d) South Bronx.
11. Of what heritage is Joe Flom?
12. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
(a) How human behavior can affect perceived threats.
(b) How human behavior can affect longevity.
(c) How human behavior can affect flight safety.
(d) How human behavior can affect success.
13. From what region of the country are the angriest subjects?
(d) They are all equally angry.
14. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
15. Where is Harlan?
(a) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
(b) In Western Tennessee.
(c) In southwestern Kentucky.
(d) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
2. What is the KIPP Academy?
3. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
4. When is Harlan settled?
5. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)