|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
(b) CEO of a trade corporation.
(d) CEO of a technological corporation.
2. What is Suren Ratwatte's area of expertise?
(a) How human behavior can affect flight safety.
(b) How human behavior can affect success.
(c) How human behavior can affect perceived threats.
(d) How human behavior can affect longevity.
3. Where is the burden of understanding placed in a conversation between two Koreans?
(a) Equally between the listener and speaker.
(b) The listener.
(c) It depends on the relative social status of the two who are interacting.
(d) The speaker.
4. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
(b) He does not mention their fuel situation at all.
5. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
(c) North America.
(d) South America.
6. What is a proxy war?
(a) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
(b) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
(c) When two companies war over the same contract.
(d) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
7. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
(a) Heavy smoke.
(b) Heavy rain.
(c) Heavy fog.
(d) The electricity is off.
8. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) The weather.
(b) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
(c) Any wars going on.
(d) It is fixed.
9. What do the ask some college-aged men to do?
(a) Fast for 24 hours.
(b) Sit in a room alone for 24 hours.
(c) Refrain from talking to any woman for 72 hours.
(d) Fill out a questionaire.
10. What percentage above the average student do KIPP students attend school?
11. How are rice plants weeded and harvested?
(a) With two special machines.
(b) With one machine.
(c) By hand.
(d) It depends on the species of rice.
12. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
(a) Helping it overcome its safety problems.
(b) Encourage it to operate in their country.
(c) Suing it.
(d) Banning it from landing in their countries.
13. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) High birth rates.
(b) Litigious distribution.
(c) Demographic luck.
(d) Luck of the Draw.
14. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(b) Large quartz mines.
(c) A spirit of community.
(d) Feuds between two families.
15. Where is Harlan?
(a) On the Cumberland Plateau in Kentucky.
(b) In Western Tennessee.
(c) Near the border of Kentucky and Illinois.
(d) In southwestern Kentucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
2. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
3. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
4. What type of parenting style seems to be beneficial to the education of children?
5. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)