|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Korean airlines determine about their flight crew members?
(a) They are average for the airline industry.
(b) They are some of the best trained in the airline industry.
(c) They are inattentive and undertrained.
(d) They are unhappy.
2. What does Gladwell say Asian cultures value?
(b) Hard work.
(c) Finding one's own niche in society.
3. What is a proxy war?
(a) When two companies appoint proxies to infiltrate the other company.
(b) When some people vote in proxy to remove key executives.
(c) When shareholders in the company vote and replace the board of directors with people who will agree to the company being acquired.
(d) When two companies war over the same contract.
4. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(b) It keeps young people out of trouble.
(c) It engenders strong morals.
(d) It results in over stimulating the mind.
5. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
(a) The larger portion of their crops.
(b) A small portion of their crops.
(c) About half of the farmers' crops.
(d) None of the crops.
6. What is the Colombian pilot's attitude when he communicates the plane's situation to the air traffic controller?
(d) He does not mention their fuel situation at all.
7. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of belief.
(b) Culture of religion.
(c) Culture of honor.
(d) Culture of knowledge.
8. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
(a) A high PDI.
(b) A culture of honor.
(c) A very low PDI.
(d) Many plane crashes.
9. What grade level is the school?
(d) Community college.
10. What does Korean Airlines perform?
(a) A extensive retrofit of their planes.
(b) Fire all of the employees.
(c) An upgrade to their planes.
(d) An internal audit.
11. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
(a) Heavy fog.
(b) The electricity is off.
(c) Heavy rain.
(d) Heavy smoke.
12. Where do Cohen and Nisbett conduct an experiment?
(a) University of Illinois.
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) University of Kentucky.
(d) University of Maine.
13. Of what does Gladwell say the average student needs more?
(a) Summer break.
(c) Better facilities.
(d) Breaks throughout the year.
14. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
(a) CEO of a trade corporation.
(c) CEO of a technological corporation.
15. What do the ask some college-aged men to do?
(a) Fill out a questionaire.
(b) Refrain from talking to any woman for 72 hours.
(c) Fast for 24 hours.
(d) Sit in a room alone for 24 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Flom and his colleagues take on proxy wars?
2. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
3. What cultural legacy among Asian peoples does Gladwell discuss?
4. From what are of the world are the highest-scoring students in the field of math?
5. What is one type of work Joe Flom does when he is just out of college?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)