|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Koreans and Colombians have in common?
(a) A very low PDI.
(b) A culture of honor.
(c) Many plane crashes.
(d) A high PDI.
2. What does Korean airlines determine about their flight crew members?
(a) They are average for the airline industry.
(b) They are unhappy.
(c) They are some of the best trained in the airline industry.
(d) They are inattentive and undertrained.
3. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
(b) Doctors and lawyers.
(d) Artists in various areas.
4. What does Korean airlines realize is a large part of their problem?
(a) Their cultural legacy.
(b) Their lack of good mechanics.
(c) Their old planes.
(d) Their pay structure.
5. What did early American educational theorists claim about education?
(a) Anyone can attain a high level of excellence if s/he works hard enough.
(b) Not everyone who is educated is wise.
(c) Education is not for those who prefer the school of hard knocks.
(d) Too much education is not good for average people.
6. When is Joe Flom born?
7. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
(a) Culture of honor.
(b) Culture of knowledge.
(c) Culture of belief.
(d) Culture of religion.
8. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
(a) White shirt law firms.
(b) White shoe law firms.
(c) Black tie law firms.
(d) Black shoe law firms.
9. When does Korean Airline flight 801 crash?
10. What do the men have to do after performing the task asked of them?
(a) Walk down a hall to hand it in.
(b) Undergo a battery of psychological tests.
(c) Write up their impressions of the experience.
(d) Share their experience with an audience.
11. What can Chinese farmers do if they produce more than the taxed amount?
(a) They are only allowed to produce a certain amount.
(b) Share it.
(c) Keep it.
(d) Gladwell does not say.
12. Of what does Gladwell say he hopes his readers are skeptical?
(a) Typical rags-to-riches stories.
(b) Gladwell's statistics.
(c) The need for success.
(d) Typical people.
13. What do some countries consider doing with Korean Airlines?
(a) Helping it overcome its safety problems.
(b) Encourage it to operate in their country.
(c) Banning it from landing in their countries.
(d) Suing it.
14. What is Joe Flom's occupation?
(a) CEO of a technological corporation.
(b) CEO of a trade corporation.
15. Who settles Harlan?
(a) Dutch immigrants.
(b) Scottish immigrants.
(c) British immigrants from the norther part of the British Isles.
(d) Irish immigrants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the school that Gladwell focuses on in "Marita's Bargan"?
2. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
3. Where does Joe Flom grow up?
4. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
5. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)