|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grade level is the school?
(b) Community college.
2. What determines the amount of crops taken by the government each year?
(a) It is fixed.
(b) The weather.
(c) It fluctuates depending on how much the government puts out.
(d) Any wars going on.
3. What is not unique in Harlan?
(a) Feuds between two families.
(b) Cooperation between various wealthy families to the detriment of the poor.
(c) Large quartz mines.
(d) A spirit of community.
4. What firms are run by Christian men who live in the suburbs?
(a) White shoe law firms.
(b) Black tie law firms.
(c) Black shoe law firms.
(d) White shirt law firms.
5. Why does the pilot have difficulty seeing the runway?
(a) The electricity is off.
(b) Heavy smoke.
(c) Heavy fog.
(d) Heavy rain.
6. Of what heritage is Joe Flom?
7. What cultural legacy among Asian peoples does Gladwell discuss?
(d) Rice paddies.
8. What did the early American educational theorists claim about long hours of school?
(a) It keeps young people out of trouble.
(b) It results in over stimulating the mind.
(c) It endgenders a strong working ethic.
(d) It engenders strong morals.
9. What is the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) Litigious distribution.
(b) High birth rates.
(c) Demographic luck.
(d) Luck of the Draw.
10. How are rice plants weeded and harvested?
(a) It depends on the species of rice.
(b) With one machine.
(c) By hand.
(d) With two special machines.
11. Of what does Gladwell say he hopes his readers are skeptical?
(a) Gladwell's statistics.
(b) Typical people.
(c) The need for success.
(d) Typical rags-to-riches stories.
12. How many crashes has Korean Airlines experienced in the past twenty years at the time of this study?
(d) Just that one.
13. How is the pilot described?
(a) A workaholic.
(b) Very experienced.
(c) An alcoholic.
(d) Fairly inexperienced.
14. What does Korean Airlines perform?
(a) An upgrade to their planes.
(b) A extensive retrofit of their planes.
(c) Fire all of the employees.
(d) An internal audit.
15. What is one way in which Flom's life is affected by the second lesson of Joe Flom?
(a) He is born in a time when law is not a popular field in the United States.
(b) He is born in a time when there is a low birth rate in the United States.
(c) He is born in a time when there is a high birth rate in the United States.
(d) He is born in a time when the laws are favorable for Jewish people in the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a feudal lord take from his farmers?
2. How many people are killed in the crash of flight 801?
3. When is Joe Flom born?
4. What do many of the children of the Borgenichts family and those like them become?
5. When is Harlan settled?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)