|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the computer center where Joy goes to college like at that time?
(a) In the top 25 percent of university computer programs.
(b) In the top 10 percent of university computer programs.
(c) Just beginning.
(d) The best in the world.
2. To what characteristic does Gladwell compare the importance of IQ?
(a) The importance of muscle to a football player.
(b) The importance of height to a basketball player.
(c) The importance of upper body strength to a rock climber.
(d) The importance of good looks for acting.
3. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
(b) A British hockey coach.
(c) A German psychiatrist.
(d) A Canadian psychologist.
4. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
(a) He will not major in what is required by the scholarship.
(b) His mother does not turn in required paperwork.
(c) He fails to work the amount of hours he is supposed to.
(d) His grades fall.
5. What is the conclusion Terman comes to about high IQ children?
(a) They succeed just five percent more often than other children.
(b) They succeed or fail at the same rate as other children.
(c) They succeed fifty percent more often than other children.
(d) They actually fail more often than other children.
6. What group of people founded Roseto, Pennsylvania?
(a) Swedish immigrants.
(b) Italian immigrants.
(c) Irish immigrants.
(d) German immigrants.
7. With whom does Bill Gates found Microsoft?
(a) He founds it by himself.
(b) Bill Joy.
(c) Paul Allen.
(d) Steve Jobs.
8. What does Gladwell delay discussing until the next chapter?
(a) The rest of Terman's story.
(b) How to use innate intelligence even if you do not have a high IQ.
(c) The rest of Langan's story.
(d) Why highly intelligent people are seldom successful.
9. What opportunity does Joy have that few students had at that time?
(a) The opportunity to spend 1,000 hours on programming.
(b) The opportunity to spend 15,000 hours on programming.
(c) The opportunity to spend 10,000 hours on programming.
(d) The opportunity to study the results of his coding.
10. Where does Langan end up living?
(a) Rural South Dakota.
(b) Rural Wyoming.
(c) Rural Mississippi.
(d) Rural Missouri.
11. What computer language does Joy help create?
12. What does Gladwell address before he finishes the story about Chris Langan?
(a) The subject of IQ.
(b) The family of geniuses from which Langan comes.
(c) The idea of IQ having very litte accuracy.
(d) The school system in which Langan grows up.
13. How are children grouped to play hockey in the country Gladwell discusses?
(a) By class.
(b) By age.
(c) By region.
(d) By size.
14. To where does Langan transfer from his first college?
(a) Oklahoma State University.
(b) UC Berkeley.
(c) University of Michigan.
(d) University of Montana.
15. What does Gladwell say one has to have to gain success?
(a) High intelligence and motivation.
(b) Just smart enough.
(c) High intelligence and a good family life.
(d) Just high intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Langan despair of publishing his theory?
2. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
3. What does Joy cheat a program to obtain?
4. What does Terman believe will be true of individuals with high IQ scores?
5. What does Langan display at a very young age?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)