|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
(a) Just names and hometown.
(b) Just names and position.
(c) Names, position, birth date, hometown.
(d) Just birth date.
2. What company does Joy co-found?
(a) Sun Microsystems.
3. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(b) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
(c) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
(d) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
4. What does Langan do after dropping out of the second college?
(a) Works on his family's farm.
(b) Works construction.
(c) Moves to New York City to panhandle.
(d) Joins a rock band.
5. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
(a) January 1.
(b) January 1 and June 1.
(c) There is no set determination.
(d) June 1 and September 1.
6. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
(b) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
(c) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
(d) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
7. From what town in Europe are most of the early residents of Roseto, Pennsylvania?
8. To whom does Gladwell compare Oppenheimer?
9. What does Langan work on using his intelligence?
(a) A theory to suplement the 100 monkey theory.
(b) A theory of instantaneous space travel.
(c) A theory of energy.
(d) A theory of the universe.
10. What does Gladwell think that being taller than another basketball player will do for a basketball player?
(a) He thinks the intimidation factor is what makes a difference not height.
(b) He thinks it gives an advantage but no guarantees.
(c) He thinks the taller person in some ways has a disadvantage because of expectations.
(d) He does not write about basket ball players.
11. What is Oppenheimer able to do even though he has some disadvantages?
(a) Believe in the basic goodness in people.
(b) Convince people to help him.
(c) Make a game plan and stick to it.
(d) Believe in himself.
12. How are Oppenheimer's social skills?
(a) Extremely high.
(c) Barely adequate.
13. How many of the musicians make it to the highest level of musicianship through talent alone?
(a) 10 percent.
(b) 25 percent.
(c) 40 percent.
(d) 0 percent.
14. In what year does Joy start college?
15. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) Coach professional hockey teams.
(b) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(c) Play professionally.
(d) Teach hockey in colleges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Anders Ericcson?
2. What computer language does Joy help create?
3. What does Gladwell say about the residents of Roseto as far as their health?
4. At what university does Lewis Terman teach?
5. Who is Stewart Wolf?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)