|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
(a) Their diet is 90 percent grains, dairy and fruits.
(b) Their diet is very low fat.
(c) Their diet includes fatty and rich foods.
(d) Their diet is 90 percent vegetarian.
2. How many of the musicians make it to the highest level of musicianship through talent alone?
(a) 10 percent.
(b) 40 percent.
(c) 0 percent.
(d) 25 percent.
3. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
(b) Slate quarry.
4. With whom does Bill Gates found Microsoft?
(a) Bill Joy.
(b) Paul Allen.
(c) Steve Jobs.
(d) He founds it by himself.
5. What opportunity does Joy have that few students had at that time?
(a) The opportunity to spend 10,000 hours on programming.
(b) The opportunity to spend 1,000 hours on programming.
(c) The opportunity to study the results of his coding.
(d) The opportunity to spend 15,000 hours on programming.
6. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
(a) He will not major in what is required by the scholarship.
(b) His grades fall.
(c) He fails to work the amount of hours he is supposed to.
(d) His mother does not turn in required paperwork.
7. What is Oppenheimer able to do even though he has some disadvantages?
(a) Believe in the basic goodness in people.
(b) Believe in himself.
(c) Convince people to help him.
(d) Make a game plan and stick to it.
8. What is the first half Matthew effect?
(a) Those who have much will get even more.
(b) When you're on a roll, sometimes you win just because your success intimidates.
(c) A high IQ is required for chess success.
(d) If it can't be seen, it can't be talked about and it can't win an Academy award.
9. From what town in Europe are most of the early residents of Roseto, Pennsylvania?
10. In what year does Joy start college?
11. To what characteristic does Gladwell compare the importance of IQ?
(a) The importance of upper body strength to a rock climber.
(b) The importance of height to a basketball player.
(c) The importance of muscle to a football player.
(d) The importance of good looks for acting.
12. What is the age when this countries hockey play is at the pinnacle of success for young people?
13. To whom does Gladwell compare Oppenheimer?
14. What keeps Langan from talking his way into some class changes at the second college he attends?
(a) A lack of social skills.
(b) A lack of drive.
(c) An unusually strong deference to authority.
(d) An inferiority complex.
15. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) Coach professional hockey teams.
(b) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(c) Teach hockey in colleges.
(d) Play professionally.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country are the hockey players that Gladwell discusses?
2. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
3. What health issue is rarely seen in Roseto at the time Wolf visits the town?
4. Why does Langan drop out of the second college he attends?
5. Who is Stewart Wolf?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)