|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gladwell say one has to have to gain success?
(a) High intelligence and a good family life.
(b) High intelligence and motivation.
(c) Just smart enough.
(d) Just high intelligence.
2. Why does Langan drop out of the second college he attends?
(a) He hates the core required courses.
(b) He gets in trouble for breaking the rules.
(c) His schedule is not flexible.
(d) He hates the climate.
3. What does Gladwell say about the residents of Roseto as far as their health?
(a) He does not mention their health.
(b) They are average compared to other Americans.
(c) They are poorer than average compared to other Americans.
(d) They are remarkably healthy compared to other Americans.
4. Who is Chris Langan?
(a) A talk show host who sponsors a show about intelligence.
(b) A man who has possibly the highest IQ of anyone alive.
(c) Gladwell's friend who went through reams of statistics.
(d) An anthropologist who studies native intelligence.
5. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
(a) Medicine Wheel.
(b) Wolf Moon Raiders.
(c) Medicine Hat Tigers.
(d) Coyote of Fortune.
6. Where does Langan grow up?
(b) South Dakota.
7. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
(a) He fails to work the amount of hours he is supposed to.
(b) His mother does not turn in required paperwork.
(c) His grades fall.
(d) He will not major in what is required by the scholarship.
8. What does Gladwell delay discussing until the next chapter?
(a) Why highly intelligent people are seldom successful.
(b) How to use innate intelligence even if you do not have a high IQ.
(c) The rest of Terman's story.
(d) The rest of Langan's story.
9. What keeps Langan from talking his way into some class changes at the second college he attends?
(a) An inferiority complex.
(b) A lack of drive.
(c) An unusually strong deference to authority.
(d) A lack of social skills.
10. With whom does Bill Gates found Microsoft?
(a) Bill Joy.
(b) He founds it by himself.
(c) Steve Jobs.
(d) Paul Allen.
11. At what university does Lewis Terman teach?
(b) UC Berkeley.
12. What does Oppenheimer have difficulty with when he is young?
(a) His social life.
(b) Emotional instability.
(c) His family life.
13. Where does Langan once make an appearance that Gladwell mentions?
(a) A Senate investigation committee.
(b) A television quiz show.
(c) A chess meet.
(d) A group of anthropologists in Brazil.
14. When does this band seem to come out of nowhere to rocket to stardom?
(a) Late 1950s.
15. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(b) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
(c) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
(d) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Anders Ericcson?
2. What band does Gladwell examine in this chapter?
3. Why does Langan despair of publishing his theory?
4. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
5. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)