|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) The first half of the 20th century.
(b) The last decade of the 19th century.
(c) Mid-to late 20th century.
(d) The first decade of the 21st century.
2. How many hours does one have to practice something to become an expert?
(a) It depends upon how complex the task is.
3. When does this band seem to come out of nowhere to rocket to stardom?
(a) Late 1950s.
4. Who is most likely to get into gifted programs in the school system Gladwell mentions?
(a) Those whose parents push their child to succeed.
(b) Those who are from the middle class and higher.
(c) Those who were not premature babies.
(d) Those who are the oldest of the year group.
5. Who is Anders Ericcson?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A statistician.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A sociologist.
6. Where does Langan grow up?
(a) South Dakota.
7. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(b) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
(c) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
(d) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
8. What does Joy cheat a program to obtain?
(a) Codes for the university's class schedules.
(b) Codes for using all the available programs.
(c) Unlimited time on the computer.
(d) Codes for the university's grades.
9. What does Gladwell say is required for someone to succeed?
(a) Practical intelligence.
(c) Being an entrepreneur.
(d) High intelligence.
10. Why does Langan drop out of the second college he attends?
(a) His schedule is not flexible.
(b) He hates the climate.
(c) He gets in trouble for breaking the rules.
(d) He hates the core required courses.
11. How is Langan's family situated financially?
(a) Very wealthy.
(b) Very poor.
(c) Middle class.
(d) Upper class.
12. What is Oppenheimer able to do even though he has some disadvantages?
(a) Make a game plan and stick to it.
(b) Convince people to help him.
(c) Believe in the basic goodness in people.
(d) Believe in himself.
13. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
(c) Leisure time.
(d) A sense of community.
14. Why are children born in a certain part of the year more likely to stand out?
(a) There is no likelihood that one child will stand out over another.
(b) They have more growth than the younger ones of the same year.
(c) If they are born in the summer, they practice more.
(d) They are called first to play on teams.
15. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(b) Coach professional hockey teams.
(c) Teach hockey in colleges.
(d) Play professionally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis Terman begin doing in the 1920s?
2. Through what age range are the school children tracked?
3. What does Gladwell think that being taller than another basketball player will do for a basketball player?
4. What band does Gladwell examine in this chapter?
5. What does Gladwell say one has to have to gain success?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)