|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
(a) Suicide rate.
(b) Divorce rate.
(c) Death rate from strokes.
(d) Death rate from heart disease.
2. Why does Langan despair of publishing his theory?
(a) It would be considered too wacky.
(b) It is not finished.
(c) No credentials.
(d) It is unprovable.
3. Who is most likely to get into gifted programs in the school system Gladwell mentions?
(a) Those who are from the middle class and higher.
(b) Those whose parents push their child to succeed.
(c) Those who are the oldest of the year group.
(d) Those who were not premature babies.
4. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) Play professionally.
(b) Teach hockey in colleges.
(c) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(d) Coach professional hockey teams.
5. To where does Langan transfer from his first college?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) UC Berkeley.
(c) Oklahoma State University.
(d) University of Montana.
6. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
(a) Medicine Hat Tigers.
(b) Coyote of Fortune.
(c) Wolf Moon Raiders.
(d) Medicine Wheel.
7. From what town in Europe are most of the early residents of Roseto, Pennsylvania?
8. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A German psychiatrist.
(b) A British hockey coach.
(c) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
(d) A Canadian psychologist.
9. What do the residents of Roseto reconstruct?
(a) An American version of their Italian homeland.
(b) An experiment in moving from a lower to middle class.
(c) An experiment in liberality.
(d) An American version of the structure of European society.
10. What band does Gladwell examine in this chapter?
(a) Herman's Hermits.
(b) Led Zeppelin.
(c) The Beatles.
(d) The Doors.
11. Which country's public school system has a similar effect to that found in Hungarian and Czechoslovakian soccer leagues?
12. With whom does Wolf speak at Roseto?
(a) Several sociology professors.
(b) A local physician.
(c) A local politician.
(d) Several local ministers.
13. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
(a) January 1.
(b) June 1 and September 1.
(c) There is no set determination.
(d) January 1 and June 1.
14. What does Lewis Terman begin doing in the 1920s?
(a) Trying to measure resistance to intelligence.
(b) Trying to develop a non-biased IQ test.
(c) Trying to raise IQ scores through rigorous training.
(d) Following the lives of very intelligent children.
15. What computer language does Joy help create?
Short Answer Questions
1. What company does Joy co-found?
2. How many of the musicians make it to the highest level of musicianship through talent alone?
3. What group of people founded Roseto, Pennsylvania?
4. Where does this band get their start playing?
5. Where does Langan grow up?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)