|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Gladwell compare Oppenheimer?
2. What does Gladwell find out about soccer leagues in Hungary and Czechoslovakia?
(a) The birth fact is not as pronounced since size is not such a factor in soccer.
(b) There is no correlation between hockey and soccer.
(c) The birth factor is more pronounced since physical skills are more critical in soccer.
(d) Those born in the first three months of the year predominate on the elite teams.
3. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
(a) Just names and hometown.
(b) Names, position, birth date, hometown.
(c) Just birth date.
(d) Just names and position.
4. From what country are the hockey players that Gladwell discusses?
(c) The United States.
5. What do the residents of Roseto reconstruct?
(a) An American version of their Italian homeland.
(b) An American version of the structure of European society.
(c) An experiment in moving from a lower to middle class.
(d) An experiment in liberality.
6. What is the Stanford-Binet test?
(a) A test for intelligence.
(b) A test for unusual blood patterns.
(c) A test for behavior psychosis.
(d) A test for mutant genes in a family line.
7. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) The first half of the 20th century.
(b) Mid-to late 20th century.
(c) The first decade of the 21st century.
(d) The last decade of the 19th century.
8. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
(a) Their diet is 90 percent grains, dairy and fruits.
(b) Their diet is very low fat.
(c) Their diet includes fatty and rich foods.
(d) Their diet is 90 percent vegetarian.
9. In what year does Joy start college?
10. Where does Langan end up living?
(a) Rural Missouri.
(b) Rural South Dakota.
(c) Rural Wyoming.
(d) Rural Mississippi.
11. What does Gladwell think that being taller than another basketball player will do for a basketball player?
(a) He thinks it gives an advantage but no guarantees.
(b) He thinks the taller person in some ways has a disadvantage because of expectations.
(c) He does not write about basket ball players.
(d) He thinks the intimidation factor is what makes a difference not height.
12. What does Gladwell delay discussing until the next chapter?
(a) The rest of Terman's story.
(b) How to use innate intelligence even if you do not have a high IQ.
(c) The rest of Langan's story.
(d) Why highly intelligent people are seldom successful.
13. What does Gladwell say Roseto, Pennsylvania is an example of?
(a) A failure in public welfare.
(b) An outlier.
(c) A progressive town.
(d) A place with above average numbers of high achievers.
14. What does Joy do almost day in and day out at college?
(c) Brainstorm with other computer geeks.
(d) Test his mettle against other geeks.
15. From what town in Europe are most of the early residents of Roseto, Pennsylvania?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langan work on using his intelligence?
2. Where does this band get their start playing?
3. What does Oppenheimer succeed in getting himself appointed as?
4. With whom does Bill Gates found Microsoft?
5. Who is Anders Ericcson?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)