|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
(a) Medicine Hat Tigers.
(b) Wolf Moon Raiders.
(c) Coyote of Fortune.
(d) Medicine Wheel.
2. Which country's public school system has a similar effect to that found in Hungarian and Czechoslovakian soccer leagues?
3. What is the single most important reason for the success of a group of musicians Ericcson studies?
(a) Parental support.
(b) Innate ability.
(c) Exposure at an early age.
4. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
(b) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
(c) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(d) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
5. Through what age range are the school children tracked?
(a) From very young through into their adult lives.
(b) From very young up until graduation from high school.
(c) From very young until ninth grade.
(d) From very young until graduation from college.
6. From what town in Europe are most of the early residents of Roseto, Pennsylvania?
7. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A Canadian psychologist.
(b) A British hockey coach.
(c) A German psychiatrist.
(d) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
8. What does Gladwell think that being taller than another basketball player will do for a basketball player?
(a) He thinks it gives an advantage but no guarantees.
(b) He thinks the intimidation factor is what makes a difference not height.
(c) He thinks the taller person in some ways has a disadvantage because of expectations.
(d) He does not write about basket ball players.
9. What is the computer center where Joy goes to college like at that time?
(a) Just beginning.
(b) In the top 25 percent of university computer programs.
(c) In the top 10 percent of university computer programs.
(d) The best in the world.
10. What does Roger notice about the majority of the hockey players in the game he is watching?
(a) Most are all at least 70 kg. in weight.
(b) Most are at least 180 cm. tall.
(c) Most are born in the first three months of the year.
(d) Most are all born close to midnight.
11. What does Langan do after dropping out of the second college?
(a) Works construction.
(b) Works on his family's farm.
(c) Moves to New York City to panhandle.
(d) Joins a rock band.
12. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) The first half of the 20th century.
(b) The last decade of the 19th century.
(c) The first decade of the 21st century.
(d) Mid-to late 20th century.
13. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(b) Play professionally.
(c) Teach hockey in colleges.
(d) Coach professional hockey teams.
14. What group of people founded Roseto, Pennsylvania?
(a) German immigrants.
(b) Italian immigrants.
(c) Irish immigrants.
(d) Swedish immigrants.
15. What does Langan display at a very young age?
(a) Average intelligence.
(b) A lack of social skills.
(c) Remarkable intelligence.
(d) The appearance of being slow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are children born in a certain part of the year more likely to stand out?
2. At what university does Lewis Terman teach?
3. What makes Wolf think it is not the region that is healthy?
4. What is the Stanford-Binet test?
5. To what characteristic does Gladwell compare the importance of IQ?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)