|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1990s.
2. What does Joy do almost day in and day out at college?
(c) Test his mettle against other geeks.
(d) Brainstorm with other computer geeks.
3. What does Roger notice about the majority of the hockey players in the game he is watching?
(a) Most are all at least 70 kg. in weight.
(b) Most are all born close to midnight.
(c) Most are at least 180 cm. tall.
(d) Most are born in the first three months of the year.
4. Through what age range are the school children tracked?
(a) From very young until graduation from college.
(b) From very young through into their adult lives.
(c) From very young up until graduation from high school.
(d) From very young until ninth grade.
5. What keeps Langan from talking his way into some class changes at the second college he attends?
(a) A lack of social skills.
(b) An inferiority complex.
(c) An unusually strong deference to authority.
(d) A lack of drive.
6. What opportunity does Joy have that few students had at that time?
(a) The opportunity to spend 15,000 hours on programming.
(b) The opportunity to study the results of his coding.
(c) The opportunity to spend 10,000 hours on programming.
(d) The opportunity to spend 1,000 hours on programming.
7. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
(a) Death rate from heart disease.
(b) Death rate from strokes.
(c) Divorce rate.
(d) Suicide rate.
8. What does Gladwell delay discussing until the next chapter?
(a) How to use innate intelligence even if you do not have a high IQ.
(b) The rest of Terman's story.
(c) The rest of Langan's story.
(d) Why highly intelligent people are seldom successful.
9. What does Gladwell say about the residents of Roseto as far as their health?
(a) They are remarkably healthy compared to other Americans.
(b) They are poorer than average compared to other Americans.
(c) They are average compared to other Americans.
(d) He does not mention their health.
10. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
(a) Coyote of Fortune.
(b) Medicine Wheel.
(c) Wolf Moon Raiders.
(d) Medicine Hat Tigers.
11. How are children grouped to play hockey in the country Gladwell discusses?
(a) By region.
(b) By age.
(c) By size.
(d) By class.
12. Who is Chris Langan?
(a) A man who has possibly the highest IQ of anyone alive.
(b) Gladwell's friend who went through reams of statistics.
(c) A talk show host who sponsors a show about intelligence.
(d) An anthropologist who studies native intelligence.
13. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
(d) Slate quarry.
14. What does Terman believe will be true of individuals with high IQ scores?
(a) They will be the ones who create most of the inventions that are patented.
(b) They will be social misfits.
(c) They will be more often on the fringes of society.
(d) They will be successful adults.
15. What does Oppenheimer succeed in getting himself appointed as?
(a) The CIA couterintelligence division.
(b) The FBI's forensics unit.
(c) The leader of the Manhattan Project.
(d) A professorship at MIT.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Langan lose his scholarship?
2. Why does Langan drop out of the second college he attends?
3. What does Gladwell call having a higher IQ?
4. What does Gladwell say one has to have to gain success?
5. What group of people founded Roseto, Pennsylvania?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)