|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Langan once make an appearance that Gladwell mentions?
(a) A television quiz show.
(b) A Senate investigation committee.
(c) A group of anthropologists in Brazil.
(d) A chess meet.
2. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
(a) The 1950s.
(d) The 1990s.
3. What is Langan unprepared to do?
(a) Push past his fears.
(b) Assert himself in an urban setting.
(c) Work hard.
(d) Accept mediocrity.
4. From what country are the hockey players that Gladwell discusses?
(c) The United States.
5. Where does Langan earn a scholarship to college?
(b) Oregon State.
6. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
(a) Medicine Hat Tigers.
(b) Wolf Moon Raiders.
(c) Medicine Wheel.
(d) Coyote of Fortune.
7. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
(b) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
(c) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(d) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
8. What does Oppenheimer succeed in getting himself appointed as?
(a) A professorship at MIT.
(b) The CIA couterintelligence division.
(c) The leader of the Manhattan Project.
(d) The FBI's forensics unit.
9. Who is Bill Joy?
(a) A entrepreneur in the field of sports.
(b) An Apple programmer.
(c) A entrepreneur in the field of art.
(d) A computer programmer.
10. Which country's public school system has a similar effect to that found in Hungarian and Czechoslovakian soccer leagues?
11. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
(a) June 1 and September 1.
(b) January 1.
(c) There is no set determination.
(d) January 1 and June 1.
12. What does Gladwell call having a higher IQ?
(a) A liability.
(b) A curse.
(c) A blessing.
(d) An advantage.
13. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
(a) Just names and hometown.
(b) Names, position, birth date, hometown.
(c) Just birth date.
(d) Just names and position.
14. What is Oppenheimer able to do even though he has some disadvantages?
(a) Convince people to help him.
(b) Make a game plan and stick to it.
(c) Believe in himself.
(d) Believe in the basic goodness in people.
15. Who is Chris Langan?
(a) Gladwell's friend who went through reams of statistics.
(b) A talk show host who sponsors a show about intelligence.
(c) An anthropologist who studies native intelligence.
(d) A man who has possibly the highest IQ of anyone alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Langan drop out of the second college he attends?
2. What does Gladwell say Roseto, Pennsylvania is an example of?
3. In what year does Joy start college?
4. What group of people founded Roseto, Pennsylvania?
5. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)