|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7, The Ethnic Theory of Plane Crashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) The first decade of the 21st century.
(b) The first half of the 20th century.
(c) Mid-to late 20th century.
(d) The last decade of the 19th century.
2. Of what does Gladwell say he hopes his readers are skeptical?
(a) Typical rags-to-riches stories.
(b) The need for success.
(c) Gladwell's statistics.
(d) Typical people.
3. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
(b) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(c) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
(d) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
4. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
(b) Leisure time.
(d) A sense of community.
5. What does Gladwell conclude about the heart health of Roseto's residents?
(a) The statistics have been skewed.
(b) It is something about the town itself that keeps its residents free from heart disease.
(c) The townspeople are exaggerating their good health.
(d) The townspeople are exaggerating their poor health.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Langan from talking his way into some class changes at the second college he attends?
2. What was the leading killer of men under the age of 65 in the 1950s?
3. What do the pilot and co-pilot of a Colombian airplane that crashes fail to effectively communicate?
4. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
5. Who is Chris Langan?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)