|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 3, The Trouble with Geniuses, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
(b) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(c) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
(d) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
2. What does access via terminals replace at Joy's college?
(a) Loading one application at a time.
(b) Access only via the mainframe.
(c) Access via the telephone.
(d) Limited access via one computer in the lab.
3. To what characteristic does Gladwell compare the importance of IQ?
(a) The importance of upper body strength to a rock climber.
(b) The importance of muscle to a football player.
(c) The importance of good looks for acting.
(d) The importance of height to a basketball player.
4. What does Gladwell say one has to have to gain success?
(a) High intelligence and motivation.
(b) Just high intelligence.
(c) High intelligence and a good family life.
(d) Just smart enough.
5. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(b) Coach professional hockey teams.
(c) Play professionally.
(d) Teach hockey in colleges.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Terman find appropriate subjects for his research?
2. Who is Anders Ericcson?
3. What does Gladwell think that being taller than another basketball player will do for a basketball player?
4. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
5. What does Gladwell delay discussing until the next chapter?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)