|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
(a) Death rate from heart disease.
(b) Suicide rate.
(c) Divorce rate.
(d) Death rate from strokes.
2. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
(a) A sense of community.
(d) Leisure time.
3. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
(a) Play professionally.
(b) Coach professional hockey teams.
(c) There is no common thing that some of the young people do.
(d) Teach hockey in colleges.
4. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
(a) Their diet is very low fat.
(b) Their diet includes fatty and rich foods.
(c) Their diet is 90 percent vegetarian.
(d) Their diet is 90 percent grains, dairy and fruits.
5. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) Mid-to late 20th century.
(b) The last decade of the 19th century.
(c) The first decade of the 21st century.
(d) The first half of the 20th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are children born in a certain part of the year more likely to stand out?
2. What is the first half Matthew effect?
3. Who is most likely to get into gifted programs in the school system Gladwell mentions?
4. From what country are the hockey players that Gladwell discusses?
5. What does Gladwell find out about soccer leagues in Hungary and Czechoslovakia?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)