|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what country are the hockey players that Gladwell discusses?
(c) The United States.
2. What does Gladwell say Roseto, Pennsylvania is an example of?
(a) A progressive town.
(b) A place with above average numbers of high achievers.
(c) An outlier.
(d) A failure in public welfare.
3. Which country's public school system has a similar effect to that found in Hungarian and Czechoslovakian soccer leagues?
4. Who is most likely to get into gifted programs in the school system Gladwell mentions?
(a) Those who are from the middle class and higher.
(b) Those whose parents push their child to succeed.
(c) Those who are the oldest of the year group.
(d) Those who were not premature babies.
5. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
(b) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(c) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
(d) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
2. From what town in Europe are most of the early residents of Roseto, Pennsylvania?
3. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
4. What does Gladwell find out about soccer leagues in Hungary and Czechoslovakia?
5. What is the age when this countries hockey play is at the pinnacle of success for young people?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)