|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
(b) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(c) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
(d) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
2. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
(a) Most are all born close to midnight.
(b) Most are all at least 70 kg. in weight.
(c) Most are born in the first three months of the year.
(d) Most are at least 180 cm. tall.
3. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
(a) Names, position, birth date, hometown.
(b) Just names and position.
(c) Just names and hometown.
(d) Just birth date.
4. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
(a) Their diet is 90 percent vegetarian.
(b) Their diet is 90 percent grains, dairy and fruits.
(c) Their diet is very low fat.
(d) Their diet includes fatty and rich foods.
5. What does Gladwell say about the residents of Roseto as far as their health?
(a) He does not mention their health.
(b) They are remarkably healthy compared to other Americans.
(c) They are average compared to other Americans.
(d) They are poorer than average compared to other Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
2. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
3. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
4. Why are children born in a certain part of the year more likely to stand out?
5. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)