|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Wolf think it is not the region that is healthy?
(a) There is a great amount of environmental pollution in that area.
(b) He does think the region has some part in the town's health.
(c) Most of the towns in the region have similar health patterns as the rest of the United States.
(d) There are two nearby towns that have heart disease at higher rates.
2. What group of people founded Roseto, Pennsylvania?
(a) Italian immigrants.
(b) Irish immigrants.
(c) Swedish immigrants.
(d) German immigrants.
3. Which country's public school system has a similar effect to that found in Hungarian and Czechoslovakian soccer leagues?
4. What does Gladwell conclude about the heart health of Roseto's residents?
(a) It is something about the town itself that keeps its residents free from heart disease.
(b) The townspeople are exaggerating their poor health.
(c) The townspeople are exaggerating their good health.
(d) The statistics have been skewed.
5. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) The first half of the 20th century.
(b) Mid-to late 20th century.
(c) The first decade of the 21st century.
(d) The last decade of the 19th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
2. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
3. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
4. How are children grouped to play hockey in the country Gladwell discusses?
5. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)