|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first half Matthew effect?
(a) When you're on a roll, sometimes you win just because your success intimidates.
(b) If it can't be seen, it can't be talked about and it can't win an Academy award.
(c) Those who have much will get even more.
(d) A high IQ is required for chess success.
2. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
(a) Their diet is 90 percent vegetarian.
(b) Their diet includes fatty and rich foods.
(c) Their diet is very low fat.
(d) Their diet is 90 percent grains, dairy and fruits.
3. What group of people founded Roseto, Pennsylvania?
(a) Swedish immigrants.
(b) Irish immigrants.
(c) German immigrants.
(d) Italian immigrants.
4. With whom does Wolf speak at Roseto?
(a) A local physician.
(b) Several sociology professors.
(c) Several local ministers.
(d) A local politician.
5. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(b) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
(c) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
(d) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are children grouped to play hockey in the country Gladwell discusses?
2. Who is Stewart Wolf?
3. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
4. What data does the table that Gladwell consults to theorize the success of some of the best hockey players in the country include?
5. What does Wolf investigate among the families of Roseto?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)