|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
(a) There is no set determination.
(b) June 1 and September 1.
(c) January 1.
(d) January 1 and June 1.
2. What was the leading killer of men under the age of 65 in the 1950s?
(a) Infectious diseases.
(c) Heart attacks.
(d) Car accidents.
3. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
(a) Coyote of Fortune.
(b) Medicine Wheel.
(c) Wolf Moon Raiders.
(d) Medicine Hat Tigers.
4. Why are children born in a certain part of the year more likely to stand out?
(a) If they are born in the summer, they practice more.
(b) There is no likelihood that one child will stand out over another.
(c) They are called first to play on teams.
(d) They have more growth than the younger ones of the same year.
5. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) The last decade of the 19th century.
(b) Mid-to late 20th century.
(c) The first half of the 20th century.
(d) The first decade of the 21st century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
2. What does Wolf investigate among the families of Roseto?
3. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
4. What is the main business of Roseto in the early years of its founding?
5. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)