|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A German psychiatrist.
(b) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
(c) A Canadian psychologist.
(d) A British hockey coach.
2. What does Gladwell find out about soccer leagues in Hungary and Czechoslovakia?
(a) The birth factor is more pronounced since physical skills are more critical in soccer.
(b) Those born in the first three months of the year predominate on the elite teams.
(c) The birth fact is not as pronounced since size is not such a factor in soccer.
(d) There is no correlation between hockey and soccer.
3. What does Gladwell say about the residents of Roseto as far as their health?
(a) They are poorer than average compared to other Americans.
(b) They are remarkably healthy compared to other Americans.
(c) They are average compared to other Americans.
(d) He does not mention their health.
4. What does Gladwell conclude about the heart health of Roseto's residents?
(a) The townspeople are exaggerating their good health.
(b) The statistics have been skewed.
(c) The townspeople are exaggerating their poor health.
(d) It is something about the town itself that keeps its residents free from heart disease.
5. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
(a) There is no set determination.
(b) January 1.
(c) January 1 and June 1.
(d) June 1 and September 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country's public school system has a similar effect to that found in Hungarian and Czechoslovakian soccer leagues?
2. What is the Memorial Cup?
3. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
4. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
5. When does Wolf visit Roseto?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)