|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Stewart Wolf?
(a) One of Gladwell's co-researchers.
(b) A sociologist.
(c) A physician and professor.
(d) A lawyer.
2. What does Gladwell conclude about the heart health of Roseto's residents?
(a) The townspeople are exaggerating their poor health.
(b) The statistics have been skewed.
(c) The townspeople are exaggerating their good health.
(d) It is something about the town itself that keeps its residents free from heart disease.
3. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
(a) Suicide rate.
(b) Death rate from strokes.
(c) Divorce rate.
(d) Death rate from heart disease.
4. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
(a) Most are born in the first three months of the year.
(b) Most are all born close to midnight.
(c) Most are at least 180 cm. tall.
(d) Most are all at least 70 kg. in weight.
5. What do the residents of Roseto reconstruct?
(a) An experiment in liberality.
(b) An American version of the structure of European society.
(c) An experiment in moving from a lower to middle class.
(d) An American version of their Italian homeland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Wolf think it is not the region that is healthy?
2. What does Wolf learn when he examines the diets of the people of Roseto?
3. What does the town of Roseto have in great abundance when Wolf is conducting his investigations?
4. Who is Roger Barnsley?
5. Why are children born in a certain part of the year more likely to stand out?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)