|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is 30 to 35 percent lower in Roseto than the rest of the country?
(a) Death rate from heart disease.
(b) Death rate from strokes.
(c) Suicide rate.
(d) Divorce rate.
2. What does Gladwell say about the residents of Roseto as far as their health?
(a) They are average compared to other Americans.
(b) They are remarkably healthy compared to other Americans.
(c) He does not mention their health.
(d) They are poorer than average compared to other Americans.
3. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
(b) A Canadian psychologist.
(c) A British hockey coach.
(d) A German psychiatrist.
4. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(b) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
(c) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
(d) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
5. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(b) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
(c) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
(d) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What health issue is rarely seen in Roseto at the time Wolf visits the town?
2. Who is most likely to get into gifted programs in the school system Gladwell mentions?
3. What does Gladwell conclude about the heart health of Roseto's residents?
4. What is the Memorial Cup?
5. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)