Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 1, The Matthew Effect.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gladwell find out about soccer leagues in Hungary and Czechoslovakia?
(a) The birth factor is more pronounced since physical skills are more critical in soccer.
(b) There is no correlation between hockey and soccer.
(c) Those born in the first three months of the year predominate on the elite teams.
(d) The birth fact is not as pronounced since size is not such a factor in soccer.
2. Who is Roger Barnsley?
(a) A Canadian psychologist.
(b) A British hockey coach.
(c) A Swedish exercise physiologist.
(d) A German psychiatrist.
3. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
(a) Most are born in the first three months of the year.
(b) Most are all at least 70 kg. in weight.
(c) Most are all born close to midnight.
(d) Most are at least 180 cm. tall.
4. Who is Stuart Wolf?
(a) A physician and professor.
(b) One of Gladwell's co-researchers.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A sociologist.
5. About what public school system does Gladwell notice a similar birth date effect?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are children grouped to play hockey in the country Gladwell discusses?
2. What does Roger notice about the majority of the hockey players in the game he is watching?
3. With whom does Wolf speak at Roseto?
4. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
5. Who is most likely to get into gifted programs in the school system Gladwell mentions?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)