|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 3, The Trouble with Geniuses, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gladwell say Roseto, Pennsylvania is an example of?
(a) A failure in public welfare.
(b) A progressive town.
(c) An outlier.
(d) A place with above average numbers of high achievers.
2. From what does the title "The Matthew Effect" get its name?
(a) The book of Matthew in the New Testament.
(b) A young man who won 6 Olympic gold medals at the games in Finland in 1952.
(c) The name of a chess prodigy who has the highest IQ ever recorded.
(d) A movie that was only shown in theaters for a couple weeks.
3. How are children grouped to play hockey in the country Gladwell discusses?
(a) By region.
(b) By size.
(c) By age.
(d) By class.
4. What time period is the first example of an outlier from?
(a) The first half of the 20th century.
(b) The last decade of the 19th century.
(c) The first decade of the 21st century.
(d) Mid-to late 20th century.
5. What college does Joy attend?
(a) UC Berkeley.
(c) University of Michigan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gladwell find out about soccer leagues in Hungary and Czechoslovakia?
2. What do some players from the highest young people's hockey team sometimes go on to do?
3. Who is most likely to get into gifted programs in the school system Gladwell mentions?
4. Who is Chris Langan?
5. How many of the musicians make it to the highest level of musicianship through talent alone?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)