|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 6, Harlan, Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one group of people worldwide who have developed the culture Gladwell examines in Kentucky?
(a) Herding groups.
(b) Industrial groups.
(c) Mining groups.
(d) Farming groups.
2. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
(b) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(c) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
(d) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
3. How does Terman find appropriate subjects for his research?
(a) By asking for volunteers.
(b) By sifting through school records.
(c) By asking teachers' opinions.
(d) By observing students on the play ground.
4. From what region of the country are the angriest subjects?
(c) They are all equally angry.
5. To what characteristic does Gladwell compare the importance of IQ?
(a) The importance of muscle to a football player.
(b) The importance of good looks for acting.
(c) The importance of upper body strength to a rock climber.
(d) The importance of height to a basketball player.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langan earn a scholarship to college?
2. What band does Gladwell examine in this chapter?
3. What does Gladwell call the culture of many people who settle in Kentucky?
4. What is Oppenheimer able to do even though he has some disadvantages?
5. What does access via terminals replace at Joy's college?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)