|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 6, Harlan, Kentucky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the other half of the Matthew effect?
(a) Intimidation is not always something you consciously do.
(b) A high IQ can hinder some types of success.
(c) Those who have little will lose even that small amount.
(d) Academy awards do not necessarily go to the best movies.
2. How do the experimenters know if the men's hormone levels rise?
(a) Blood work.
(b) Sweat breaking out on the face.
(c) Saliva sample.
(d) Red in face.
3. Who settles Harlan?
(a) Irish immigrants.
(b) British immigrants from the norther part of the British Isles.
(c) Dutch immigrants.
(d) Scottish immigrants.
4. Who utters an audible insult to some of the men in the experiment?
(a) No one.
(b) One of the psychologists interviewing the men.
(c) A man partially blocking the hallway.
(d) One of the audience members.
5. What does Gladwell think that being taller than another basketball player will do for a basketball player?
(a) He thinks the intimidation factor is what makes a difference not height.
(b) He does not write about basket ball players.
(c) He thinks the taller person in some ways has a disadvantage because of expectations.
(d) He thinks it gives an advantage but no guarantees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Barnsley and a colleague find when they do further investigation into the entire country's professional hockey teams?
2. How does the country which Gladwell is discussing determine the cut-off date for hockey players?
3. What is the name of the hockey team Gladwell examines in detail?
4. What band does Gladwell examine in this chapter?
5. What is the single most important reason for the success of a group of musicians Ericcson studies?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)