* An outlier is something that is classified differently from other items in its similar group, such as a city that is different from other cities.
* Gladwell's first example of an outlier is the town of Roseto, Pennsylvania in the first half of the 20th century.
* Roseto was founded by Italian immigrants in the late 19th century and is centered around a local slate quarry business.
* The residents of Roseto are remarkably healthy when compared to other Americans. This makes Roseto an outlier.
* This aspect of Roseto was discovered by a visiting physician in the 1950's through a conversation with the local doctor.
* The local doctor says in the many years of treating the people of Roseto he has rarely seen anyone with heart disease.
* The visiting doctor is surprised and researches the town. He finds that Roseto does have a 30 to 35 percent lower incident...
This section contains 2,706 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)