|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Geillis Duncan's husband?
2. Of what clan was Jamie's mother?
3. Claire realizes that which character has also arrived in the eighteenth century from a different time?
(a) The Duke of Sandringham.
(b) Geillis Duncan.
(c) Captain Randall.
4. What is Jamie's clan's motto?
(a) "E pluribus unum."
(b) "Il chaud."
(c) "Je suis prest."
(d) "Tengo sed."
5. What excuse does Jamie give Dougal when he and Claire want to slip away to make love?
(a) They are collecting firewood.
(b) They are checking the horses.
(c) They are going to get water.
(d) They are scouting the territory for morels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made the wedding ring that Jamie gives to Claire?
2. Where is Claire at the opening of Part 3, Chapter 21?
3. What gift does Colum Mackenzie give Claire in Part 4, Chapter 24?
4. When Claire is observing Jamie in Part 3, Chapter 15, to what biblical character does she liken him?
5. What date does Claire see carved into the doorframe at the inn where she is staying in Part 3, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how does Claire determine what year it is?
3. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
4. Why does Dougal tell Claire the details of Jamie's flogging?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
6. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
7. Describe the reason that Jamie is an outlaw.
8. Why does Jamie sleep in the hall in front of Claire's door in Part 3, Chapter 12?
9. Why does Jamie immediately ask Colum Mackenzie for his share of the rent?
10. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)