|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Culla see approaching him as he sits by the side of the road?
2. What does the old man tell Culla is two miles from his cabin?
3. What does the bearded man ask about Culla's appearance?
4. Who or what do the drivers blame for spooking the herd of pigs?
5. What happens to the old man when he opens his door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Culla. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)