|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rinthy tell the tinker that she wants?
2. One of the henchmen says that Culla used ___________ as trade with the tinker.
3. Where does the tinker lead Rinthy in hopes of her seeing her baby?
4. What does the bearded man ask about Culla's appearance?
5. What are the two Negroes doing in the church lot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Rinthy. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)