|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the squire's name?
2. What does Culla see as he pulls the ladder up to the barn to work?
3. A man in the woods offers Culla ____________.
4. At whose home does Culla ask for a job?
5. Which of the following items does the vendor NOT have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the doctor's comments give Rinthy hope that her baby is still alive?
2. How does McCarthy introduce Culla and what are the circumstances of him and his sister?
3. What commotion does Culla experience when he reaches the town of Cheatham?
4. What happens to the good boots that Culla is wearing?
5. Where does Rinthy follow the tinker in the hopes of finding her baby?
6. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
7. What does Rinthy tell the old woman about what happened to her baby?
8. What commotion does Culla experience when he reaches the town of Cheatham?
9. What happens to the squire as he rides in search of Culla?
10. Describe Rinthy's experience after she steals some turnips from a farmer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Rinthy. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)