Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the men who killed Old Man Salter?
2. What does the unnamed man tell a vendor to get rid of him?
3. Where does Culla's sister find out information about him?
4. Who does Culla tell his sister not to talk to while he is gone?
5. How does the old woman know that Rinthy has just had a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rinthy encounter when looking for a doctor?
2. What is the condition of the man's sister inside the cabin?
3. How does Rinthy finally encounter the tinker and why does he question her about the baby?
4. What does Culla do before going to the store again and what admonition does he give his sister before leaving?
5. Who does Rinthy go in search of in the town she travels to with the family?
6. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
7. What are the two reasons Culla is plagued by guilt?
8. Describe the scenario of Culla waiting for a ferry.
9. What happens to the squire as he rides in search of Culla?
10. What is the condition of the baby when Culla finally encounters him?
Essay Topic 1
OUTER DARK is written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book OUTER DARK? Cite an example to support your answer. If you're stuck, think in terms of a Biblical reference.
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)