|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had made the path the vendor took in the woods?
2. How does Culla elude the men?
3. What job does a farmer offer to Culla?
4. What does Rinthy tell the old woman about her baby?
5. Who is Culla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of searching in this section?
2. How does the wise old woman know that Rinthy just had a baby?
3. What sentence does Culla receive from the man and what unusual request does Culla end up making of the man?
4. What is Rinthy hoping to get when she locates the tinker?
5. What does the tinker find when he is trying to get out of the woods?
6. What does the bearded man accuse Culla of and what does the bearded man do to the baby?
7. What does the bearded man accuse Culla of and what does the bearded man do to the baby?
8. What does the tinker find when he is trying to get out of the woods?
9. What happens to the old man when three strangers arrive at his door?
10. What does Rinthy realize about Culla and what information does she learn about him at the general store in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Culla and Rinthy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rinthy. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)