|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rinthy meets a woman who had __________ dead children.
2. What is the concern of the person walking through the woods?
3. Where does Culla have dinner and stay the night?
4. What does the person in #52 sense about Culla?
5. What is another name for the person in #19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the baby when Culla finally encounters him?
2. Describe the family that Rinthy meets after she has been walking for awhile.
3. What does Rinthy realize about Culla and what information does she learn about him at the general store in town?
4. What does Rinthy tell the old woman about what happened to her baby?
5. What are the two reasons Culla is plagued by guilt?
6. What medical help does the doctor provide to Rinthy?
7. Who are the three men who rescue Culla on the riverbank?
8. Why is Culla angry at his sister for digging in the grave?
9. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
10. What is the significance of searching in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the man in black. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)