|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does the vendor wrap the person/item in #24?
2. What is the person in #19 walking on in the woods?
3. Where is the person or item found in the woods?
4. What does Culla see as he pulls the ladder up to the barn to work?
5. What is the reaction of the woman at the store when the baby is brought there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job is Culla doing when he sees angry men headed toward him?
2. What does the brother do with the newborn baby?
3. How does Culla complete the grave-digging job and where does he sleep for the night?
4. What route does the tinker follow through the woods?
5. What job is Culla doing when he sees angry men headed toward him?
6. What medical help does the doctor provide to Rinthy?
7. What is the irony of Rinthy's sleeping by the campfire?
8. What is Rinthy hoping to get when she locates the tinker?
9. Why does the brother refuse to get a midwife for his sister?
10. What happens to the old man when three strangers arrive at his door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Rinthy. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Culla. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)