|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Culla go to town?
2. What kind of work does a woman hire Rinthy to do?
3. What injury does the squire sustain from the men who attacked him on the road?
4. In what town does Culla look for work?
5. What is the squire's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the unnamed man get the tinker to leave the cabin?
2. Why does the squire decide to go after Culla the next morning?
3. What does Rinthy realize about Culla and what information does she learn about him at the general store in town?
4. What is the condition of the man's sister inside the cabin?
5. Why does the brother refuse to get a midwife for his sister?
6. What medical help does the doctor provide to Rinthy?
7. What does the tinker do when he first finds the baby?
8. What is Rinthy hoping to get when she locates the tinker?
9. Where does Culla hope to go after leaving the old man's cabin?
10. Describe the kind old man who Culla encounters on his journey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Rinthy. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of the man in black. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)