|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the unnamed man hiding the fact that the woman is pregnant?
2. What is another name for the person in #19?
3. What food does Culla prepare for his sister?
4. What harrowing sight does Rinthy see on her journey?
5. Who is the dead man laying in a wagon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the baby when Culla finally encounters him?
2. What sentence does Culla receive from the man and what unusual request does Culla end up making of the man?
3. What route does the tinker follow through the woods?
4. How precarious is the fate of the baby at the time that the tinker finds him?
5. Why do the doctor's comments give Rinthy hope that her baby is still alive?
6. How does McCarthy introduce Culla and what are the circumstances of him and his sister?
7. How does McCarthy introduce Culla and what are the circumstances of him and his sister?
8. Why does the squire decide to go after Culla the next morning?
9. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
10. How does Culla elude the angry men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book OUTER DARK? Cite an example to support your answer. If you're stuck, think in terms of a Biblical reference.
Essay Topic 2
Define the Southern Gothic genre of literature. Why does McCarthy's OUTER DARK fit into the Southern Gothic category? Give examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 2,141 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)