|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does Culla look for work?
2. What does the unnamed man tell a vendor to get rid of him?
3. What does Culla see as he pulls the ladder up to the barn to work?
4. What does Culla notice in a wagon in town?
5. In what part of his body does Culla sustain superficial gunshot wounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What debt does the tinker tell Rinthy that she owes?
2. How does Culla elude the angry men?
3. Why do the doctor's comments give Rinthy hope that her baby is still alive?
4. What does the bearded man accuse Culla of and what does the bearded man do to the baby?
5. Describe the scenario of Culla waiting for a ferry.
6. What does Rinthy tell the old woman about what happened to her baby?
7. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
8. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
9. How does McCarthy introduce the tinker in the story?
10. What sentence does Culla receive from the man and what unusual request does Culla end up making of the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OUTER DARK is written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)