|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sister find in the fresh grave?
2. How much does Culla's breakfast at the store cost?
3. What name was given to the baby?
4. Culla tells his sister that her baby is ________________.
5. Which of the following items does the vendor NOT have?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do Culla and the blind man share a similar destiny?
2. Who does Rinthy encounter when looking for a doctor?
3. Why does the brother refuse to get a midwife for his sister?
4. What job is Culla doing when he sees angry men headed toward him?
5. Describe the family that Rinthy meets after she has been walking for awhile.
6. What does the brother do with the newborn baby?
7. How does Rinthy finally encounter the tinker and why does he question her about the baby?
8. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
9. What does Rinthy tell the old woman about what happened to her baby?
10. How does McCarthy introduce the tinker in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Culla. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Culla and Rinthy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)