|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Culla's sister realize about him?
2. Why does the unnamed man refuse to get the item in #10?
3. How much money does Culla earn for the job he performs?
4. How does Culla elude the men?
5. How much does Culla's breakfast at the store cost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family that Rinthy meets after she has been walking for awhile.
2. Describe the family that Rinthy meets after she has been walking for awhile.
3. Describe the kind old man who Culla encounters on his journey.
4. Who are the three men who rescue Culla on the riverbank?
5. Why does the squire decide to go after Culla the next morning?
6. What is the significance of searching in this section?
7. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
8. Why do the doctor's comments give Rinthy hope that her baby is still alive?
9. What fact will be unknown to the brother or his sister who delivered the baby?
10. Describe how Rinthy's quest to find her baby is progressing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Culla and Rinthy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book OUTER DARK? Cite an example to support your answer. If you're stuck, think in terms of a Biblical reference.
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)