|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the unnamed man dream as the story begins?
2. What kind of work does a woman hire Rinthy to do?
3. Who had made the path the vendor took in the woods?
4. Who does the squire decide to track down the next morning?
5. How does the family travel to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three men who rescue Culla on the riverbank?
2. Why do the doctor's comments give Rinthy hope that her baby is still alive?
3. Where does Culla hope to go after leaving the old man's cabin?
4. What does Rinthy realize about Culla and what information does she learn about him at the general store in town?
5. Who are the three men who rescue Culla on the riverbank?
6. What is the irony of Rinthy's sleeping by the campfire?
7. What job is Culla doing when he sees angry men headed toward him?
8. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
9. What commotion does Culla experience when he reaches the town of Cheatham?
10. Describe Rinthy's experience after she steals some turnips from a farmer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the man in black. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 2,217 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)