|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What/Who is Culla looking for as he walks through the countryside?
2. How does the family travel to town?
3. What do the men on the road do as the squire rides down the road alone?
4. What is the person in #19 walking on in the woods?
5. Culla learns that someone has dug up _____________ and caused a commotion in town.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Culla hope to go after leaving the old man's cabin?
2. Describe the kind old man who Culla encounters on his journey.
3. Describe Rinthy's experience after she steals some turnips from a farmer.
4. What sentence does Culla receive from the man and what unusual request does Culla end up making of the man?
5. What does the brother do with the newborn baby?
6. What medical help does the doctor provide to Rinthy?
7. Who is Clark and what job does he offer to Culla?
8. What is the irony of Rinthy's sleeping by the campfire?
9. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
10. What does Rinthy tell the old woman about what happened to her baby?
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Culla. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the man in black. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 2,142 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)