|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does Culla look for work?
2. Who or what does the unnamed man refuse to get for the woman in labor?
3. What is the person in #19 walking on in the woods?
4. Who is walking through the woods as this section opens?
5. Why does Culla become angry at his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Rinthy's sleeping by the campfire?
2. How does the wise old woman know that Rinthy just had a baby?
3. Why does Culla head into town and where does he learn that he may find some work?
4. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
5. What does the tinker find when he is trying to get out of the woods?
6. What does Culla do before going to the store again and what admonition does he give his sister before leaving?
7. How precarious is the fate of the baby at the time that the tinker finds him?
8. How does McCarthy introduce Culla and what are the circumstances of him and his sister?
9. Why is Culla angry at his sister for digging in the grave?
10. What does the brother do with the newborn baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book OUTER DARK? Cite an example to support your answer. If you're stuck, think in terms of a Biblical reference.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)