|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the unnamed man say about the newborn child?
2. What is the person in #19 walking on in the woods?
3. Where do the vendor and the person in #28 take the person found in the woods?
4. What does Rinthy receive from strangers on her quest to find her baby?
5. What does the unnamed man buy from the vendor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
2. Who provides Culla with a small job and what other kindness does he show Culla?
3. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
4. What happens to the good boots that Culla is wearing?
5. How does the sister's labor progress and what does the brother say about the newborn child?
6. How does the tinker react when he learns that the baby was a product of incest?
7. Where does Culla find some respite from his journey and how is he rudely awakened the next morning?
8. How does the tinker react when he learns that the baby was a product of incest?
9. What is Rinthy hoping to get when she locates the tinker?
10. What is the irony of Rinthy's sleeping by the campfire?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Culla and Rinthy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 2,130 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)