|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman in labor asks the unnamed man for more heat and _____________.
2. What does Culla notice in a wagon in town?
3. What does Culla see as he pulls the ladder up to the barn to work?
4. What is the reaction of the woman at the store when the baby is brought there?
5. What does Culla's sister know that the tinker has that belongs to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the bearded man accuse Culla of and what does the bearded man do to the baby?
2. Who are the three men who rescue Culla on the riverbank?
3. Where does Culla find some respite from his journey and how is he rudely awakened the next morning?
4. How does McCarthy introduce Culla and what are the circumstances of him and his sister?
5. What commotion does Culla experience when he reaches the town of Cheatham?
6. Describe how Rinthy's quest to find her baby is progressing.
7. How does McCarthy introduce the tinker in the story?
8. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
9. How precarious is the fate of the baby at the time that the tinker finds him?
10. What is Rinthy hoping to get when she locates the tinker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the tinker. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the tinker. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 2,168 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)