|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rinthy receive from strangers on her quest to find her baby?
2. Who or what does the unnamed man refuse to get for the woman in labor?
3. What does Rinthy tell the old woman about her baby?
4. Who is about to give birth in the unnamed man's house?
5. What is the condition of Culla's sister when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the brother refuse to get a midwife for his sister?
2. Describe the kind old man who Culla encounters on his journey.
3. Describe Rinthy's experience after she steals some turnips from a farmer.
4. Where does Culla hope to go after leaving the old man's cabin?
5. How does Culla complete the grave-digging job and where does he sleep for the night?
6. What is the significance of searching in this section?
7. What bad luck plaques Culla regarding the herd of pigs and how does he escape a lynching?
8. What fact will be unknown to the brother or his sister who delivered the baby?
9. How does Rinthy finally encounter the tinker and why does he question her about the baby?
10. How does McCarthy introduce Culla and what are the circumstances of him and his sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy does not identify Culla and Rinthy by name until the story has progressed for awhile. Why does McCarthy leave them nameless for awhile? What is he trying to say about their situation by leaving them nameless?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of the tinker. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Culla. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)