|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Culla elude the men?
2. What kind of work does a woman hire Rinthy to do?
3. How much does Culla's breakfast at the store cost?
4. In what type of house does the unnamed man live?
5. Where is the person or item found in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the brother do with the newborn baby?
2. What debt does the tinker tell Rinthy that she owes?
3. What sentence does Culla receive from the man and what unusual request does Culla end up making of the man?
4. How does the wise old woman know that Rinthy just had a baby?
5. What does the man in the woods notice about Culla?
6. What is the condition of the man's sister inside the cabin?
7. Describe the kind old man who Culla encounters on his journey.
8. Why do the doctor's comments give Rinthy hope that her baby is still alive?
9. How old would Rinthy's baby be at this point in time? How long has Rinthy been searching for her baby? How long has Culla been searching for Rinthy?
10. How precarious is the fate of the baby at the time that the tinker finds him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)