|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman in the garden doing?
2. Who is walking through the woods as this section opens?
3. What is the person in #19 walking on in the woods?
4. Culla learns that someone has dug up _____________ and caused a commotion in town.
5. At whose home does Culla ask for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the sister's labor progress and what does the brother say about the newborn child?
2. What route does the tinker follow through the woods?
3. Where does Culla find some respite from his journey and how is he rudely awakened the next morning?
4. Where does Culla find some respite from his journey and how is he rudely awakened the next morning?
5. What does the man in the woods notice about Culla?
6. What bad luck plaques Culla regarding the herd of pigs and how does he escape a lynching?
7. How does Rinthy finally encounter the tinker and why does he question her about the baby?
8. What medical help does the doctor provide to Rinthy?
9. How does McCarthy introduce Culla and what are the circumstances of him and his sister?
10. What is the condition of the baby when Culla finally encounters him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)