|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does the squire sustain from the men who attacked him on the road?
2. Who is about to give birth in the unnamed man's house?
3. Who is the dead man laying in a wagon?
4. Where is the person or item found in the woods?
5. Which of the following items does the vendor NOT have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the old man when three strangers arrive at his door?
2. How old would Rinthy's baby be at this point in time? How long has Rinthy been searching for her baby? How long has Culla been searching for Rinthy?
3. What does the tinker find when he is trying to get out of the woods?
4. How does Culla complete the grave-digging job and where does he sleep for the night?
5. What job is Culla doing when he sees angry men headed toward him?
6. Why is Culla angry at his sister for digging in the grave?
7. What medical help does the doctor provide to Rinthy?
8. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
9. What sentence does Culla receive from the man and what unusual request does Culla end up making of the man?
10. Who is Clark and what job does he offer to Culla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the tinker. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy does not identify Culla and Rinthy by name until the story has progressed for awhile. Why does McCarthy leave them nameless for awhile? What is he trying to say about their situation by leaving them nameless?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)