Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the men who killed Old Man Salter?
2. What does the unnamed man tell a vendor to get rid of him?
3. Where does Culla's sister find out information about him?
4. Who does Culla tell his sister not to talk to while he is gone?
5. How does the old woman know that Rinthy has just had a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rinthy encounter when looking for a doctor?
2. What is the condition of the man's sister inside the cabin?
3. How does Rinthy finally encounter the tinker and why does he question her about the baby?
4. What does Culla do before going to the store again and what admonition does he give his sister before leaving?
5. Who does Rinthy go in search of in the town she travels to with the family?
6. What haunting experience does Culla have the next morning?
7. What are the two reasons Culla is plagued by guilt?
8. Describe the scenario of Culla waiting for a ferry.
9. What happens to the squire as he rides in search of Culla?
10. What is the condition of the baby when Culla finally encounters him?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Culla. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)