|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Culla elude the men?
2. Where do the vendor and the person in #28 take the person found in the woods?
3. What does the person in #19 hear in the woods?
4. Where do the vendor and the person in #28 take the person found in the woods?
5. What does the person in #52 sense about Culla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Culla give the old man for why he needs to move on?
2. What happens to the squire as he rides in search of Culla?
3. Who is Clark and what job does he offer to Culla?
4. What does the bearded man accuse Culla of and what does the bearded man do to the baby?
5. What bad luck plaques Culla regarding the herd of pigs and how does he escape a lynching?
6. What commotion does Culla experience when he reaches the town of Cheatham?
7. What does the brother do with the newborn baby?
8. Describe the family that Rinthy meets after she has been walking for awhile.
9. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
10. What are the two reasons Culla is plagued by guilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)