|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of house does the unnamed man live?
2. What is the reaction of the woman at the store when the baby is brought there?
3. What is Culla's sister's name?
4. Where does the vendor take the person in #24?
5. What does the person in #52 sense about Culla?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do Culla and the blind man share a similar destiny?
2. How does Culla complete the grave-digging job and where does he sleep for the night?
3. How does the wise old woman know that Rinthy just had a baby?
4. What does Culla do before going to the store again and what admonition does he give his sister before leaving?
5. Describe how Rinthy's quest to find her baby is progressing.
6. Why is Culla angry at his sister for digging in the grave?
7. Who are the three men who rescue Culla on the riverbank?
8. What does Rinthy realize about Culla and what information does she learn about him at the general store in town?
9. What is Rinthy hoping to get when she locates the tinker?
10. What does the bearded man accuse Culla of and what does the bearded man do to the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the man in black. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy does not identify Culla and Rinthy by name until the story has progressed for awhile. Why does McCarthy leave them nameless for awhile? What is he trying to say about their situation by leaving them nameless?
This section contains 2,212 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)