|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fate of the abandoned baby?
2. What does Culla notice in a wagon in town?
3. What does the person in #52 sense about Culla?
4. Where does Culla have dinner and stay the night?
5. What is the squire's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the unnamed man get the tinker to leave the cabin?
2. What fact will be unknown to the brother or his sister who delivered the baby?
3. Who does Rinthy encounter when looking for a doctor?
4. Why is Culla forced to walk to another cabin at gunpoint?
5. How does the tinker react when he learns that the baby was a product of incest?
6. Why does the squire decide to go after Culla the next morning?
7. How does the tinker react when he learns that the baby was a product of incest?
8. How does Culla complete the grave-digging job and where does he sleep for the night?
9. How does Culla get rescued when the ferryboat runs out of control?
10. What debt does the tinker tell Rinthy that she owes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Culla. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
OUTER DARK is written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Culla and Rinthy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)