|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author presume about the reader's and the lights in "The Mysterious Maco Lights"?
2. Where is Joe's body found?
3. In "The Beckoning Hands" who does the pirate want to live with?
4. What eventually becomes the name of the flower Joe planted for Josephine?
5. In "The Core Point Ghosts" what does the girl do as a result of her emotions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the Payne family and "Rodanthe's Drum of Old Christmas"?
2. Why do people think the light they see is Joe?
3. Describe Frenchy.
4. Who is Donald McDonald?
5. What do people claim they can see after Joe's death?
6. Why was Caroline's mother worried on Caroline's wedding day?
7. Who is Joe Baldwin?
8. Describe the yellow-orange flower's significance.
9. How does the girl respond to her baby's birth in "The Core Point Ghosts"?
10. How does the Maco Train Station respond to Joe's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Old Christmas to today's, modern Christmas by analyzing "The Legend of Old Buck" to see how and why Old Christmas evolved into what we know Christmas to be now.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast modern society's response to pregnancy out of wedlock to the way society responded to the girl's from "The Core Point Ghosts". Do you think her guilt was equal to her crime?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the relationship of destruction to life's commencement in "The Beckoning Hands" by looking at the events that occur in the story.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)