|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tim see emerging on a canoe down the river?
(a) An elderly woman.
(b) A young woman.
(c) A slave.
(d) A man.
2. What reason does Whedbee give for North Carolina being virtually witch free?
(a) The people of North Caroline ignored it.
(b) He does not suggest that about North Carolina.
(c) He does not give a reason.
(d) The people of North Carolina had more sense than that.
3. How does Tim die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He accidentally cuts his own self with an axe.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He starves to death.
4. Who makes it hard for the colonists to reach their war supplies in "Currituck Jack"?
(a) The British navy.
(b) The English Patriots.
(c) The Birtish army.
(d) The local Indian tribe.
5. Where is Elnora found?
(a) A secret cave.
(b) A secret tree.
(c) A secret dock.
(d) A secret tunnel.
6. What happened to end the existence of the dram tree?
(a) A hurricane uprooted it.
(b) It was cut down.
(c) An ice storm's advancing flow snapped its roots.
(d) Nothing it still exists.
7. Who is Elnora?
(a) Roanoke's wife.
(b) Robert's daughter.
(c) Robert's wife.
(d) Roanoke's fiance.
8. Who still wanders through the woods according to "The Legend of Old Buck"?
(a) Saint George.
(c) No one.
9. What color is the item that Caleb helps build for the war?
10. How old is the tree in "Indian Gallows"?
(a) 100 years old.
(b) 200 years old.
(c) 300 years old.
(d) 30 years old.
11. Where is the only other widespread North Carolinian story about witches set in?
(a) On Hatteras Island.
(b) In the mansion of Brownrigg.
(c) At The Brownrigg Mill.
(d) On Colington Island.
12. When do most people claim they are able to see the figure beckoning on the shore?
(a) When a storm approaches.
(b) When a storm settles.
(c) At all times.
(d) When someone is about to die.
13. Where is the man from who White Cloud nurses back to health from?
14. What kind of tree stands at the harbor of Edenton in "The Dram Tree"?
(a) An American Oak.
(b) A Cypress.
(c) A Magnolia.
(d) A Pine.
15. Who dislikes Tim's new wife?
(a) Tim's daughter.
(b) Tim's ex wife.
(c) People in the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the branches of the tree form in "Indian Gallows"?
2. Who sneaks a knife to his comrades in the hold of the ship?
3. What happens if a sailor or ship does not comply with the dram tree's rules?
4. Why is Caleb prevented from fighting in the war in "Currituck Jack"?
5. What coast were Seaman Brooks and his crew sailing?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)