* Karen Blixen's land is located at the base of Ngong Hills.
* 600 acres of coffee plantation, 1000 acres for squatters, the rest native forest.
* Squatters eke out a living from subsistence farming and live stock in exchange for working a number of days a year on the farm.
* Twelve miles from the farm is Nairobi, the capital, where government buildings are located.
* A Swahili town is located near Nairobi. It is a dirty, gaudy place.
* A Somali town, farther away from Nairobi, is home to nomads who are primarily cattle dealers and traders.
* Indian merchants dominate the big native business quarter of the bazaar.
* Karen feels great affection for the natives, though never truly understanding them.
* Karen acts as a doctor of sorts for the local people.
* One day Karen meets Kamante, an insular, stoic child of one of the squatters. He suffers from sores all over his...
This section contains 3,369 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)