|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business did Andrew's wife own in her native country?
2. Who demands a recount of the mayoral election votes?
3. Who calls at the last minute to offer to buy Fernbank at the original asking price?
4. What personal challenge does Father Tim now face?
5. By how many votes did the person in #162 win the election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Father Tim's state of mind as the novel ends on Christmas Eve?
2. Why is Father Tim doubly relieved when Andrew buys Fernbank?
3. What advice does Father Tim have for Buck regarding his drinking and what is Buck's response?
4. What good news does Father Tim receive regarding Joe, Winnie's brother?
5. Why does Buck Leeper decide to leave town suddenly?
6. What car does Father Tim see while he is out jogging and why does it unnerve him?
7. Why is Winnie conflicted about selling her business and moving to Tennessee?
8. What does Father Tim learn about the ownership of H. Tide and Miami Development Company?
9. What are Andrew's plans for Fernbank?
10. What does Bishop Cullen advise Father Tim to do regarding what Father Tim knows about Mack's campaign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Cynthia. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Cynthia?
Essay Topic 2
OUT TO CANAAN is a classic story of justice and redemption. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)