|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cakes does the food committee need to bake?
2. How does Father Tim feel about the deal made with Miami Development regarding Fernbank?
3. Who calls at the last minute to offer to buy Fernbank at the original asking price?
4. Who is Father Tim's old nemesis that he dreams of?
5. What does Father Tim wonder if he should make public about Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Tim learn about the ownership of H. Tide and Miami Development Company?
2. Who has agreed to teach Dooley to drive?
3. What car does Father Tim see while he is out jogging and why does it unnerve him?
4. What is the welcome news that Father Tim receives during the signing of the contracts for the Fernbank sale?
5. What might be a help for Father Tim regarding the purchase of the rectory by H. Tide?
6. Who does Father Tim suspect of being behind Mack Stroupe's mayoral campaign?
7. What is part of the agreement of the sale of Winnie's shop?
8. What does Father Tim advise Winnie to do regarding the sale of her business?
9. How did Andrew meet his new bride?
10. Why does Esther Bolick's accident wreak havoc on the food committee of the Bane and Blessing event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Karon choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Jan Karon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Father Tim and Mack Sprogue. Both men have influence over the town of Mitford but in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)