|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Tim ask Harley to do?
2. What holiday do Father Tim and Cynthia begin gearing up for?
3. What does Winnie bring back from her cruise?
4. Who is going to accompany Winnie on her trip?
5. Who is Thomas Kendall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Father Tim suspect of being behind Mack Stroupe's mayoral campaign?
2. How did Andrew meet his new bride?
3. Why is Father Tim doubly relieved when Andrew buys Fernbank?
4. Why is Father Tim conflicted over Edith backing Mack's mayoral campaign?
5. What is part of the agreement of the sale of Winnie's shop?
6. Why does Father Tim feel compelled to check out Edith's connection to Mack's campaign?
7. What does Father Tim learn about the ownership of H. Tide and Miami Development Company?
8. What is the welcome news that Father Tim receives during the signing of the contracts for the Fernbank sale?
9. What does Father Tim advise Winnie to do regarding the sale of her business?
10. What is Father Tim's state of mind as the novel ends on Christmas Eve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Faith is an important theme in OUT TO CANAAN. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jan Karon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)