|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dooley's new girlfriend?
2. How does Dooley crash his truck?
3. What does Father Tim do in support of Winnie?
4. What happens to Esther Bolick prior to the Bane and Blessing event?
5. How does the Election Board determine the winner of the mayoral race?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esther Bolick's accident wreak havoc on the food committee of the Bane and Blessing event?
2. How does Father Tim realize that Pauline is drunk and what does he do in the situation?
3. Who does Father Tim suspect of being behind Mack Stroupe's mayoral campaign?
4. What does Father Tim learn about the ownership of H. Tide and Miami Development Company?
5. What might be a help for Father Tim regarding the purchase of the rectory by H. Tide?
6. Why is Father Tim doubly relieved when Andrew buys Fernbank?
7. Why might Father Tim be forced to move from the rectory prior to his retirement?
8. Why is there no clear winner in the mayoral race and how does the town address the situation?
9. What car does Father Tim see while he is out jogging and why does it unnerve him?
10. What good news does Father Tim receive regarding Joe, Winnie's brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Father Tim's life. Will Harley and Lace still be present in his life? What is Dooley's life like? What role does Buck play in Father Tim's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
OUT TO CANAAN is a classic story of justice and redemption. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Jan Karon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)