|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes credit for the sale of Fernbank?
2. Who does Father Tim suspect of being the mysterious benefactor behind Mack Stroupe's campaign?
3. What type of business did Andrew's wife own in her native country?
4. How long has Father Tim lived in the rectory?
5. What is the name of Father Tim's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Thomas Kendall and how did Winnie meet him?
2. What surprise does Andrew have when he returns from Europe?
3. What request does Thomas Kendall have for Father Tim regarding Winnie?
4. Why does Buck Leeper decide to leave town suddenly?
5. What is Father Tim's state of mind as the novel ends on Christmas Eve?
6. Why does Esther Bolick's accident wreak havoc on the food committee of the Bane and Blessing event?
7. What might be a help for Father Tim regarding the purchase of the rectory by H. Tide?
8. Why is there no clear winner in the mayoral race and how does the town address the situation?
9. Why might Father Tim be forced to move from the rectory prior to his retirement?
10. What car does Father Tim see while he is out jogging and why does it unnerve him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the atypical family in OUT TO CANAAN. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)