|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Tim talk Cynthia into?
2. What will Winnie do after the sale of her bakery?
3. Who is Father Tim's barber?
4. What does Father Tim ask Harley to do?
5. What does Father Tim order at Sweet Stuff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request does Thomas Kendall have for Father Tim regarding Winnie?
2. What does Father Tim learn about the ownership of H. Tide and Miami Development Company?
3. What surprise does Andrew have when he returns from Europe?
4. What good news does Father Tim receive regarding Joe, Winnie's brother?
5. What advice does Father Tim have for Buck regarding his drinking and what is Buck's response?
6. Why does Esther Bolick's accident wreak havoc on the food committee of the Bane and Blessing event?
7. What is Father Tim's state of mind as the novel ends on Christmas Eve?
8. Why is there no clear winner in the mayoral race and how does the town address the situation?
9. What car does Father Tim see while he is out jogging and why does it unnerve him?
10. Why is Father Tim conflicted over Edith backing Mack's mayoral campaign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jan Karon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)