|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dooley helping Lace to do?
2. What is Andrew's plan for Fernbank?
3. Why is Cynthia angry about the interest in the rectory by the company in #122?
4. What does Father Tim buy Cynthia for her birthday?
5. What color is Cynthia's little house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Father Tim doubly relieved when Andrew buys Fernbank?
2. Why does Father Tim feel compelled to check out Edith's connection to Mack's campaign?
3. Who is Thomas Kendall and how did Winnie meet him?
4. What car does Father Tim see while he is out jogging and why does it unnerve him?
5. Why is Father Tim conflicted over Edith backing Mack's mayoral campaign?
6. What might be a help for Father Tim regarding the purchase of the rectory by H. Tide?
7. What does Bishop Cullen advise Father Tim to do regarding what Father Tim knows about Mack's campaign?
8. What is part of the agreement of the sale of Winnie's shop?
9. What is Father Tim's state of mind as the novel ends on Christmas Eve?
10. Why might Father Tim be forced to move from the rectory prior to his retirement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Father Tim's life. Will Harley and Lace still be present in his life? What is Dooley's life like? What role does Buck play in Father Tim's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)