|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lace at the rectory so much of the time?
2. What type of party does Cynthia decide to throw?
3. What does Father Tim notice about his appearance after his salon visit?
4. What is the name of the party that Father Tim's wife throws every year?
5. What is Lace unable to find after Harley's party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Miami Development Company and why does Father Tim get irritated with them as he shows them around Fernbank?
2. What is the Primrose Tea and how is Father Tim more involved than usual?
3. What medical condition does Pauline's cousin, Rhody, have and what assistance does Father Tim provide?
4. What are Father Tim's concerns about the mayoral race and in what way does he get involved?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Winnie's entry into a contest to wind a cruise?
6. Who is Dooley?
7. Who is Buck Leeper and what will he be doing for the church?
8. Who is Lace Turner and how is Father Tim involved in her life?
9. How does Father Tim spend his birthday with his wife?
10. What does Harley do in exchange for living in Father Tim's basement apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Tim seems to have many roles in his role as pastor. Name two roles he fills and gives examples of how he fulfills those roles and the people he impacts.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Karon choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the atypical family in OUT TO CANAAN. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)