|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bookstore did David take Shirley to after working out?
2. On their second day together on the convention trip, Gerry was effusive in expressing what for Shirley?
3. When Gerry asked Shirley to join him out of town, at what type of convention was he planning to be?
4. What did Shirley MacLaine use her first professional paycheck for?
5. Upon arriving in Stockholm, who did Shirley have dinner with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Shirley pretend that she has never heard of Johannsen when her friends invite her to see him?
2. Why did Shirley want proof that a spiritual plane existed?
3. What influence did Shirley's parents have on her?
4. When Gerry played in the water in Hawaii, Shirley felt sad that she was too stressed out to relax and enjoy herself. Why was she so tense?
5. What did Shirley think about while waiting to meet with Johannsen?
6. Why had Shirley not realized that many religions believed in the idea of reincarnation?
7. How did Edgar Cayce discover he was a medium?
8. Why did John introduce the idea of mediums to Shirley?
9. Why did Shirley spend time thinking about writing as a method that cleared her father's depression?
10. What was the process Johannsen took to invoke the spirit Ambres and what did the spirit speak on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in support or refute of the following topic, citing examples from the text: David manipulated Shirley's interest in spirituality to convince her to write the book he wanted her to write.
Essay Topic 2
Shirley was attracted to the idea of reincarnation.
1) What is reincarnation and its purpose?
2) Why did the idea attract Shirley?
3) What actions did she take to explore the idea of past lives?
Essay Topic 3
After David explains the idea of energy to Shirley, she has an out of body experience. Write an essay examining this experience and how it affected her, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)