|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the spirit that Johannsen could channel?
2. What nationality was Gerry?
3. In Stockholm, Shirley realized that Gerry needed to have what?
4. Shirley MacLaine considered David to be a professional what?
5. When Gerry asked Shirley to join him out of town, at what type of convention was he planning to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the process Johannsen took to invoke the spirit Ambres and what did the spirit speak on?
2. Why had Shirley not realized that many religions believed in the idea of reincarnation?
3. How did Edgar Cayce discover he was a medium?
4. As Clifford Odets lay on his death bed, what desire did he speak of to Shirley?
5. What did Shirley's feelings about her Academy Award nomination imply about her personal sense of importance?
6. Why was it important to Shirley to avoid the reporters when she visited Gerry in Hawaii?
7. When Gerry claimed to be obsessed by Shirley, what did he mean and why did it upset him?
8. Why did Shirley pretend that she has never heard of Johannsen when her friends invite her to see him?
9. How did Shirley become interested in the spiritual journeys her friends were taking?
10. What was the issue that caused a problem between Shirley and Gerry in Stockholm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine what prompted Shirley to begin a spiritual journey, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Support or refute the following topic, citing examples from the text: Shirley was not successful in love because her career success was intimidating to men.
Essay Topic 3
Shirley wrote in-depth about experiences she had with two mediums, Kevin and Johannsen. Write an essay on the experience she had with one of these mediums, answering the following questions.
1) What was she seeking when she went to speak with the medium?
2) What answers did she get from the medium?
3) How did the visit to the medium change her?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)