|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the owner of the bookstore that David introduced Shirley to?
2. Where did Gerry and Shirley go on their first date?
3. What grand question did Shirley begin to explore upon returning from her convention trip with Gerry?
4. On what day in Stockholm did Shirley first see Gerry?
5. In what city did Gerry and Shirley have their first date?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Edgar Cayce discover he was a medium?
2. Why was Shirley interested in travel?
3. Shirley used her first professional paycheck to build an apartment. What does this tell the reader about Shirley?
4. How did Shirley become interested in the spiritual journeys her friends were taking?
5. As Clifford Odets lay on his death bed, what desire did he speak of to Shirley?
6. Why did David take Shirley to the Bodhi Tree bookstore?
7. What was the issue that caused a problem between Shirley and Gerry in Stockholm?
8. Why did Shirley feel embarrassment over her Academy Award nomination?
9. What did Shirley admire about her friend, David?
10. Why did Shirley want proof that a spiritual plane existed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shirley was attracted to the idea of reincarnation.
1) What is reincarnation and its purpose?
2) Why did the idea attract Shirley?
3) What actions did she take to explore the idea of past lives?
Essay Topic 2
Support or refute the following topic, citing examples from the text: When Shirley decided to get to the bottom of spirituality, she was willing to follow any path put before her.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in support or refute of the following topic, citing examples from the text: David manipulated Shirley's interest in spirituality to convince her to write the book he wanted her to write.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)