|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the three dead hross?
2. What is a pfifltriggi carving on one of the stones?
3. What does the hross tell Ransom to do when they arrive on the island?
4. Where can the eldil go?
5. What do Ransom and the narrator want to do with the prophecy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Osarya repond to Weston's speech?
2. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
3. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
4. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
5. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
6. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
7. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
8. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
9. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
10. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Out of the Silent Planet, C.S.Lewis has much to say about racism and judging people based on external differences.
1. Do you think Weston's attitude toward the inhabitants of Malacandra parallels discrimination or prejudice in this country? Explain the differences and similarities between Weston's thinking and groups today who pander hate. What are some of the minorities in this country? Give examples of prejudice that you may have witnessed or read about.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the mating habits of the hross with human ones. Which do you think is better? Discuss why something that is precious, such as gold, is precious due to its scarcity. What would this have to do with the hross's mating patterns?
Essay Topic 3
Malacandra seems to be a planet with very little technology. Do you think the life of their peoples are easier or more difficult without modern devices? Explain your reasoning with examples.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)