|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sorn look like?
2. Where and with whom does Ransom spend the night on the island?
3. Why have they decided to present the story as fiction?
4. What does the Osarya offer Ransom?
5. What kind of food does Augray offer Ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's purpose in writing this story?
2. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
3. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
4. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
5. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
6. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
7. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
8. Who begins speaking in Chapter 22? How did he learn of Ransom?
9. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
10. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book, C.S. Lewis seems postulate that fear causes a great deal of harm. If fear was the opposite of love, how would that cause many of the world's problems? Based on Out of the Silent Planet, what do you think the author believed fear did to humanity?
Essay Topic 2
On Malacandra, the hross, Hyoi, says he can't think of any reason for the three peoples of Malacondra to wage war. What might be reasons that war starts in this world? What circumstances and ideas on Malacandra seem to preclude war as an option there? What do you think might be necessary for war to end on this world, given what Malacandra was described as being like?
Essay Topic 3
Write about your overall reaction to this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Was it exciting? Boring? Was it believable? Were you able to put yourself on the planet and feel you knew what it looked like? Felt like? Did you like or dislike the characters? Did you agree with them? What did you see the story as representing?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)