|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens before Hyoi can turn the boat around and head back?
2. What subjects about earth interest the sorns?
3. What does the Osarya offer Ransom?
4. What is a pfifltriggi carving on one of the stones?
5. Why does Ransom feel relieved when he wakes in Augray's tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
2. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
3. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
4. What does the sorn and Ransom do when Ransom enters the cave?
5. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
6. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
7. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
8. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
9. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
10. How does the Osarya repond to Weston's speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In returning to earth the men do not have enough air to get home safely. They have to detour due to the moon, yet they manage to land the craft. Did the eldil or Osarya intervene to keep them safe? That seems to be the implication. Write about an incident in your life or someone you know who has escaped great harm by what they or you believe was Divine Intervention.
Essay Topic 2
Write about your overall reaction to this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Was it exciting? Boring? Was it believable? Were you able to put yourself on the planet and feel you knew what it looked like? Felt like? Did you like or dislike the characters? Did you agree with them? What did you see the story as representing?
Essay Topic 3
In this book, C.S. Lewis seems postulate that fear causes a great deal of harm. If fear was the opposite of love, how would that cause many of the world's problems? Based on Out of the Silent Planet, what do you think the author believed fear did to humanity?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)