|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oyarsa say gives the Malacandrians peace?
2. Where does Ransom and Augray spend the night?
3. From where does the milk for cheese come?
4. How do the hross view death?
5. What does Ransom imagine Oyarsa to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Osarya repond to Weston's speech?
2. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
3. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
4. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
5. What happens with the three dead hross?
6. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
7. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
8. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
9. What does the sorn and Ransom do when Ransom enters the cave?
10. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Malacandra seems to be a planet with very little technology. Do you think the life of their peoples are easier or more difficult without modern devices? Explain your reasoning with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Osarya, the ruler of the entire planet has a great deal of power over its peoples. How do you think earth would be different if the entire planet had one person who had final authority on all matters? Use examples from Malacandra and earth that point out the differences.
Essay Topic 3
In this book Weston talks about humanity eventually traveling the stars and conquering other planets, because "humans" were the best people ever created. What would you think if you met intelligent beings who did not resemble "humans?" What do you think are characteristics that make humans something other than "animal?" Do you believe a creature other than a "human" could have those characteristics? Why or Why not?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)