|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sorn Ransom meets in the cave?
2. What does Ransom what to prove to the hross during the hnakra hunt?
3. What does Hyoi tell Ransom about war between the three races of Malacandra?
4. How does Weston defend himself?
5. What does the Oyarsa say Weston and Devine must do because of their killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
2. Who begins speaking in Chapter 22? How did he learn of Ransom?
3. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
4. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
5. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
6. Who is brought in front of Oyarsa and what happens?
7. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
8. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
9. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
10. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In returning to earth the men do not have enough air to get home safely. They have to detour due to the moon, yet they manage to land the craft. Did the eldil or Osarya intervene to keep them safe? That seems to be the implication. Write about an incident in your life or someone you know who has escaped great harm by what they or you believe was Divine Intervention.
Essay Topic 2
On Malacandra, the hross, Hyoi, says he can't think of any reason for the three peoples of Malacondra to wage war. What might be reasons that war starts in this world? What circumstances and ideas on Malacandra seem to preclude war as an option there? What do you think might be necessary for war to end on this world, given what Malacandra was described as being like?
Essay Topic 3
Osarya, the ruler of the entire planet has a great deal of power over its peoples. How do you think earth would be different if the entire planet had one person who had final authority on all matters? Use examples from Malacandra and earth that point out the differences.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)