|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augray say about Oyarsa?
2. How did the narrator learn of the story?
3. How does Ransom feel as Oyarsa approaches?
4. Where can the eldil go?
5. What is the first question Oyarsa asks Ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
2. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
3. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
4. What happens with the three dead hross?
5. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
6. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
7. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
8. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
9. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
10. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book Weston talks about humanity eventually traveling the stars and conquering other planets, because "humans" were the best people ever created. What would you think if you met intelligent beings who did not resemble "humans?" What do you think are characteristics that make humans something other than "animal?" Do you believe a creature other than a "human" could have those characteristics? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Osarya, the ruler of the entire planet has a great deal of power over its peoples. How do you think earth would be different if the entire planet had one person who had final authority on all matters? Use examples from Malacandra and earth that point out the differences.
Essay Topic 3
Out of the Silent Planet is an allegory. It is supposed to represent the creation of earth, the fall of the angels from heaven and the fall of humans. Describe parts of the book that you believe correspond to these events.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)