|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can the eldil go?
2. What did the Osarya prophesied to Ransom?
3. What does Ransom what to prove to the hross during the hnakra hunt?
4. What does Ransom find in the cavern he enters?
5. Why have they decided to present the story as fiction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
2. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
3. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
4. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
5. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
6. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
7. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
8. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
9. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
10. Describe Ransom's first view of Meldilorn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book, C.S. Lewis seems postulate that fear causes a great deal of harm. If fear was the opposite of love, how would that cause many of the world's problems? Based on Out of the Silent Planet, what do you think the author believed fear did to humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Write about your overall reaction to this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Was it exciting? Boring? Was it believable? Were you able to put yourself on the planet and feel you knew what it looked like? Felt like? Did you like or dislike the characters? Did you agree with them? What did you see the story as representing?
Essay Topic 3
On Malacandra, the hross, Hyoi, says he can't think of any reason for the three peoples of Malacondra to wage war. What might be reasons that war starts in this world? What circumstances and ideas on Malacandra seem to preclude war as an option there? What do you think might be necessary for war to end on this world, given what Malacandra was described as being like?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)