|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the prophecy Oyarsa alluded to with Ransom?
2. Besides the three races Ransom has heard about, another race, now extinct, lived on Malacandra. What was it?
3. What feeling is Ransom fighting as he leaves Hyoi's boat?
4. Where can the eldil go?
5. What is the first question Oyarsa asks Ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
2. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
3. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
4. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
5. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
6. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
7. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
8. Who is brought in front of Oyarsa and what happens?
9. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
10. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In all books characters are never all good or all bad, which reflects the reality of being human. What do you see as Weston, Devine and Ransom's good characteristics? What do you see as their flaws? Would you characterize Ransom as the "good guy" and Weston and Devine as the "bad guys," or do you see their characters as being a mix?
Essay Topic 2
In this book Weston talks about humanity eventually traveling the stars and conquering other planets, because "humans" were the best people ever created. What would you think if you met intelligent beings who did not resemble "humans?" What do you think are characteristics that make humans something other than "animal?" Do you believe a creature other than a "human" could have those characteristics? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Osarya, the ruler of the entire planet has a great deal of power over its peoples. How do you think earth would be different if the entire planet had one person who had final authority on all matters? Use examples from Malacandra and earth that point out the differences.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)