|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have they decided to present the story as fiction?
2. What happens before Hyoi can turn the boat around and head back?
3. What does Ransom imagine Oyarsa to be?
4. What happens to the three dead hross?
5. What does Ransom do after Hyoi dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
2. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
3. Who begins speaking in Chapter 22? How did he learn of Ransom?
4. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
5. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
6. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
7. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
8. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
9. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
10. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Hyoi explained the hross mating habits to Ransom he seemed to imply that mating, done only once, for a short time, in a hross's life made it that much sweeter and memorable. Chose one of your favorite activities or food, for example, chocolate.
Write about how you think it would feel to be able to experience that activity or food a few times, for a few short years in your life. Do you think it would make it better? How do you think you'd feel after the time was gone and you could not longer have access to something you enjoyed so much?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of fear and death is explored a lot in this book. Ransom speculates on the role of death in life. The hross seem to hold an outlook on death that is very different from his own. They almost welcome death as a wonderful transformation. Write about the view of death from the American culture. Is the main cultural view of death your own? If not, what is your view of death?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Weston's plans for conquering other planets and killing off their population, to make room for humans, and what has happen on this planet as people cleared out the earth of many animals to make use of the land for ourselves. Are they similar? Do the animals deserve more, less or the same consideration as inhabitants of another planet? Is this planet enriched or impoverished because of the number of extinct animals?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)