|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often do the hross marry?
2. Why does Ransom feel relieved when he wakes in Augray's tower?
3. What does the Oyarsa order when it's obvious Weston is not going to believe in his existence?
4. After Weston and Devine are taken from Oyarsa 's presence what happens to Ransom?
5. What interrupts Ransom and the Oyarsa's conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the three dead hross?
2. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
3. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
4. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
5. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
6. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
7. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
8. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
9. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
10. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Weston's plans for conquering other planets and killing off their population, to make room for humans, and what has happen on this planet as people cleared out the earth of many animals to make use of the land for ourselves. Are they similar? Do the animals deserve more, less or the same consideration as inhabitants of another planet? Is this planet enriched or impoverished because of the number of extinct animals?
Essay Topic 2
Ransom spent some time in this book at a hross settlement. Describe that settlement. Do you think you would like to live in a place like it? Did it seem peaceful? Boring? Interesting? What about the hross? Did you like them? Would you want to be friends with Hyoi?
Essay Topic 3
In all books characters are never all good or all bad, which reflects the reality of being human. What do you see as Weston, Devine and Ransom's good characteristics? What do you see as their flaws? Would you characterize Ransom as the "good guy" and Weston and Devine as the "bad guys," or do you see their characters as being a mix?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)