|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oyarsa say about Ransom's fear?
2. What does Oyarsa say of the history of earth?
3. When an eldil comes to Hyoi's boat what does he tell the hross?
4. What does Ransom do after Hyoi dies?
5. What does the hross tell Ransom to do when they arrive on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
2. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
3. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
4. Who begins speaking in Chapter 22? How did he learn of Ransom?
5. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
6. How does the Osarya repond to Weston's speech?
7. What happens with the three dead hross?
8. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
9. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
10. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final chapters explain that Oyarsa and the eldil have been influencing events all along. Some might call this fate, others, destiny. Many would call it Divine Intervention. Compare your ideas on fate, destiny and Divine Intervention. Do you believe in one or the other? Have you ever experienced a moment you felt was destiny? Fate? Why?
Essay Topic 2
On Malacandra, the hross, Hyoi, says he can't think of any reason for the three peoples of Malacondra to wage war. What might be reasons that war starts in this world? What circumstances and ideas on Malacandra seem to preclude war as an option there? What do you think might be necessary for war to end on this world, given what Malacandra was described as being like?
Essay Topic 3
Ransom spent some time in this book at a hross settlement. Describe that settlement. Do you think you would like to live in a place like it? Did it seem peaceful? Boring? Interesting? What about the hross? Did you like them? Would you want to be friends with Hyoi?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)