|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oyarsa say about Ransom's fear?
2. What does the hross tell Ransom to do when they arrive on the island?
3. Who was Hyoi talking to the day he and Ransom met?
4. What do the stone monuments show Ransom?
5. What does the Oyarsa say Weston and Devine must do because of their killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
2. Explain the history of earth (Thulcandra) and its relationship to Malacandra.
3. What happens with the three dead hross?
4. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
5. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
6. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
7. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
8. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
9. What is the narrator's purpose in writing this story?
10. Who is brought in front of Oyarsa and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Malacandra seems to be a planet with very little technology. Do you think the life of their peoples are easier or more difficult without modern devices? Explain your reasoning with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Write about your overall reaction to this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Was it exciting? Boring? Was it believable? Were you able to put yourself on the planet and feel you knew what it looked like? Felt like? Did you like or dislike the characters? Did you agree with them? What did you see the story as representing?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Weston's plans for conquering other planets and killing off their population, to make room for humans, and what has happen on this planet as people cleared out the earth of many animals to make use of the land for ourselves. Are they similar? Do the animals deserve more, less or the same consideration as inhabitants of another planet? Is this planet enriched or impoverished because of the number of extinct animals?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)