|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the three dead hross?
2. Why doesn't Oyarsa want to kill Weston?
3. What happens to Hyoi as they rest in the boat next to the hnakra's body?
4. Besides the three races Ransom has heard about, another race, now extinct, lived on Malacandra. What was it?
5. What happens to the ship after they land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides collecting gold, what is Weston's motivation for coming to Malacandra?
2. What does the sorn and Ransom do when Ransom enters the cave?
3. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
4. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
5. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
6. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
7. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
8. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
9. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
10. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book, description is a large part of the writing. Why do you think Lewis wrote so much description? Did you feel you had a good picture of Malacandra and the inhabitants? Describe some of the terrain, the culture and inhabitants of the planet.
Essay Topic 2
Malacandra seems to be a planet with very little technology. Do you think the life of their peoples are easier or more difficult without modern devices? Explain your reasoning with examples.
Essay Topic 3
In all books characters are never all good or all bad, which reflects the reality of being human. What do you see as Weston, Devine and Ransom's good characteristics? What do you see as their flaws? Would you characterize Ransom as the "good guy" and Weston and Devine as the "bad guys," or do you see their characters as being a mix?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)