|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ransom feel after he helps kill the hnakra?
2. What is the name of the sorn Ransom meets in the cave?
3. Why was Ransom kidnapped, according to the Oyarsa?
4. What is a pfifltriggi carving on one of the stones?
5. What does Oyarsa say of the history of earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
2. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
3. What does the sorn and Ransom do when Ransom enters the cave?
4. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
5. Describe Ransom's first view of Meldilorn.
6. What kind of knowledge interest the sorn?
7. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
8. What is the narrator's purpose in writing this story?
9. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
10. Who is brought in front of Oyarsa and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Out of the Silent Planet is an allegory. It is supposed to represent the creation of earth, the fall of the angels from heaven and the fall of humans. Describe parts of the book that you believe correspond to these events.
Essay Topic 2
Write about your overall reaction to this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Was it exciting? Boring? Was it believable? Were you able to put yourself on the planet and feel you knew what it looked like? Felt like? Did you like or dislike the characters? Did you agree with them? What did you see the story as representing?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Weston's ideas of conquering other planets with America's treatment of the American Indian. How are they similar? Different? Would you consider one to be more immoral than the other?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)