|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often do the hross marry?
2. What happens before Hyoi can turn the boat around and head back?
3. What does Ransom imagine Oyarsa to be?
4. What kind of food does Augray offer Ransom?
5. What do the stone monuments show Ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Osarya repond to Weston's speech?
2. What happens with the three dead hross?
3. Who is brought in front of Oyarsa and what happens?
4. What does Ransom do on the space ship during the return trip to earth?
5. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
6. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
7. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
8. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
9. What does the sorn and Ransom do when Ransom enters the cave?
10. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On Malacandra, the hross, Hyoi, says he can't think of any reason for the three peoples of Malacondra to wage war. What might be reasons that war starts in this world? What circumstances and ideas on Malacandra seem to preclude war as an option there? What do you think might be necessary for war to end on this world, given what Malacandra was described as being like?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of fear and death is explored a lot in this book. Ransom speculates on the role of death in life. The hross seem to hold an outlook on death that is very different from his own. They almost welcome death as a wonderful transformation. Write about the view of death from the American culture. Is the main cultural view of death your own? If not, what is your view of death?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Weston's plans for conquering other planets and killing off their population, to make room for humans, and what has happen on this planet as people cleared out the earth of many animals to make use of the land for ourselves. Are they similar? Do the animals deserve more, less or the same consideration as inhabitants of another planet? Is this planet enriched or impoverished because of the number of extinct animals?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)