|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ransom confused as he climbs through the mountain pass?
2. What does Ransom see before he sees the sorn?
3. From where does the milk for cheese come?
4. Where can the eldil go?
5. What subjects about earth interest the sorns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ransom do and what does he see after they land on earth?
2. Describe Ransom's first view of Meldilorn.
3. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
4. What does Ransom find at the edge of the grove? Describe it.
5. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
6. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
7. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
8. What is the narrator's purpose in writing this story?
9. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
10. What does Ransom find as he climbs the mountain pass? Describe the scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In returning to earth the men do not have enough air to get home safely. They have to detour due to the moon, yet they manage to land the craft. Did the eldil or Osarya intervene to keep them safe? That seems to be the implication. Write about an incident in your life or someone you know who has escaped great harm by what they or you believe was Divine Intervention.
Essay Topic 2
In this book the eldil communicate mind to mind, which on this earth is called telepathy. A number of psychic powers have been named on this planet. Telepathy, the ability to communicate mind to mind; Clairvoyance - the power or faculty of discerning objects not present to the senses; Precognition - clairvoyance relating to an event or state not yet experienced; Mediumship - the ability to communicate with the dead. These are a few of the so called psychic abilities.
Write an essay about how you feel about psychic phenomena. Do you believe it's possible? Why or Why not? Have you ever experienced it? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
Osarya, the ruler of the entire planet has a great deal of power over its peoples. How do you think earth would be different if the entire planet had one person who had final authority on all matters? Use examples from Malacandra and earth that point out the differences.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)