|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augray take Ransom to see Oyarsa ?
2. What does Ransom understand because of strange, flickering changes in the light?
3. What was the prophecy Oyarsa alluded to with Ransom?
4. What subjects about earth interest the sorns?
5. What feeling is Ransom fighting as he leaves Hyoi's boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
2. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
3. What happens with the three dead hross?
4. What is the narrator's purpose in writing this story?
5. How does the Osarya repond to Weston's speech?
6. What does Ransom tell the sorn about earth and what do the sorn think?
7. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
8. Who is brought in front of Oyarsa and what happens?
9. Who begins speaking in Chapter 22? How did he learn of Ransom?
10. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ransom spent some time in this book at a hross settlement. Describe that settlement. Do you think you would like to live in a place like it? Did it seem peaceful? Boring? Interesting? What about the hross? Did you like them? Would you want to be friends with Hyoi?
Essay Topic 2
When Hyoi explained the hross mating habits to Ransom he seemed to imply that mating, done only once, for a short time, in a hross's life made it that much sweeter and memorable. Chose one of your favorite activities or food, for example, chocolate.
Write about how you think it would feel to be able to experience that activity or food a few times, for a few short years in your life. Do you think it would make it better? How do you think you'd feel after the time was gone and you could not longer have access to something you enjoyed so much?
Essay Topic 3
In this book Ransom spends a great deal of time being afraid. What are the main fears that Ransom has? How does he face them? What does he find out about fear from Oyarsa? Why would someone with no fear be "at peace?"
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)