|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a handramit?
2. What is all over the ground on the planet?
3. What happens when Weston takes Ransom and leads him to breakfast?
4. The character in question #1 meets a woman who is searching for her simple-minded son, whose name is:
5. How does Devine control Ransom when they leave the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ransom hear in the room and what does he decide?
2. Give a general description about the planet's inhabitants and their government.
3. When Ransom describes being from another planet, what surprises him about the hross?
4. Describe the dream Ransom had when Weston drugged his drink.
5. Describe the ship as Ransom sees it.
6. How does Ransom react to finally being free?
7. Why do you think there is so much description in this chapter, and in the entire book?
8. Once Ransom settles into the routine of space travel how does he feel?
9. Describe the room where Ransom wakes after being knocked out at the Rise, the house where he met Weston and Devine.
10. How does Ransom feel when he finds out he's been kidnapped and is in space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In all books characters are never all good or all bad, which reflects the reality of being human. What do you see as Weston, Devine and Ransom's good characteristics? What do you see as their flaws? Would you characterize Ransom as the "good guy" and Weston and Devine as the "bad guys," or do you see their characters as being a mix?
Essay Topic 2
When Hyoi explained the hross mating habits to Ransom he seemed to imply that mating, done only once, for a short time, in a hross's life made it that much sweeter and memorable. Chose one of your favorite activities or food, for example, chocolate.
Write about how you think it would feel to be able to experience that activity or food a few times, for a few short years in your life. Do you think it would make it better? How do you think you'd feel after the time was gone and you could not longer have access to something you enjoyed so much?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Weston's ideas of conquering other planets with America's treatment of the American Indian. How are they similar? Different? Would you consider one to be more immoral than the other?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)