|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the temperature of the ship as they enter the gravity of Malacandra?
2. When the ship is landing what is Ransom doing?
3. What does Ransom hear as he runs through the forest?
4. While drugged, Ransom has a dream in which he meets:
5. What does Weston and Devine do when they finish eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write about Ransom's feelings upon entering the atmosphere of Malacandra.
2. How does Ransom react to finally being free?
3. What steps does Ransom take to be more comfortable in the space ship?
4. When Ransom describes being from another planet, what surprises him about the hross?
5. Describe the scene of Ransom meeting his first hross.
6. Describe the dream Ransom had when Weston drugged his drink.
7. Describe the terrain Ransom sees as they embark from the ship.
8. Ransom thinks a lot about his situation and comes up with an explanation of why he feels so good. Weston has his own explanation. What are the two men's explanations?
9. Describe Weston's attitude toward Devine. Tell why you think Weston and Devine are or are not friends.
10. What is Ransom thinking about as the ship prepares to land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of fear and death is explored a lot in this book. Ransom speculates on the role of death in life. The hross seem to hold an outlook on death that is very different from his own. They almost welcome death as a wonderful transformation. Write about the view of death from the American culture. Is the main cultural view of death your own? If not, what is your view of death?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Weston's plans for conquering other planets and killing off their population, to make room for humans, and what has happen on this planet as people cleared out the earth of many animals to make use of the land for ourselves. Are they similar? Do the animals deserve more, less or the same consideration as inhabitants of another planet? Is this planet enriched or impoverished because of the number of extinct animals?
Essay Topic 3
When Hyoi explained the hross mating habits to Ransom he seemed to imply that mating, done only once, for a short time, in a hross's life made it that much sweeter and memorable. Chose one of your favorite activities or food, for example, chocolate.
Write about how you think it would feel to be able to experience that activity or food a few times, for a few short years in your life. Do you think it would make it better? How do you think you'd feel after the time was gone and you could not longer have access to something you enjoyed so much?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)