|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Ransom take on the ship?
2. What happens when the three men enter the water to join the sorns on the other shore?
3. What does Ransom do with the Hross?
4. What is an hnakra and its relationship to the hross?
5. What does Devine think the sorn plan to do with Ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Ransom settles into the routine of space travel how does he feel?
2. In Chapter seven Ransom gets his first look at some of the inhabitants of the planet. How do they look to him and of what do they remind him?
3. How does Ransom escape and where does he go?
4. How does Ransom feel when he finds out he's been kidnapped and is in space?
5. In Chapter six the ship begins to approach Malacandra. What happens to the inside of the ship as they come onto the planet?
6. What does the hross do after Ransom eats some of his food?
7. Describe the three characters who have been introduced in this chapter.
8. What kind of information do Weston and Devine seek from Ransom when he first meets them in chapter one?
9. Ransom thinks a lot about his situation and comes up with an explanation of why he feels so good. Weston has his own explanation. What are the two men's explanations?
10. Describe the house where Ransom finds Harry and meets Weston and Devine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Weston's ideas of conquering other planets with America's treatment of the American Indian. How are they similar? Different? Would you consider one to be more immoral than the other?
Essay Topic 2
In Out of the Silent Planet, C.S.Lewis has much to say about racism and judging people based on external differences.
1. Do you think Weston's attitude toward the inhabitants of Malacandra parallels discrimination or prejudice in this country? Explain the differences and similarities between Weston's thinking and groups today who pander hate. What are some of the minorities in this country? Give examples of prejudice that you may have witnessed or read about.
Essay Topic 3
Write about your overall reaction to this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Was it exciting? Boring? Was it believable? Were you able to put yourself on the planet and feel you knew what it looked like? Felt like? Did you like or dislike the characters? Did you agree with them? What did you see the story as representing?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)