|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Weston takes Ransom and leads him to breakfast?
2. What is a handramit?
3. What does Ransom do with the Hross?
4. What is an hnakra and its relationship to the hross?
5. What does Ransom do when he sits down for a moment to rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the hross do after Ransom eats some of his food?
2. Describe the house where Ransom finds Harry and meets Weston and Devine.
3. Describe the ship as Ransom sees it.
4. Describe the terrain Ransom sees as they embark from the ship.
5. Describe the three characters who have been introduced in this chapter.
6. Describe the dream Ransom had when Weston drugged his drink.
7. What is Ransom thinking about as the ship prepares to land?
8. Once Ransom settles into the routine of space travel how does he feel?
9. Give a general description about the planet's inhabitants and their government.
10. In Chapter seven Ransom gets his first look at some of the inhabitants of the planet. How do they look to him and of what do they remind him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of fear and death is explored a lot in this book. Ransom speculates on the role of death in life. The hross seem to hold an outlook on death that is very different from his own. They almost welcome death as a wonderful transformation. Write about the view of death from the American culture. Is the main cultural view of death your own? If not, what is your view of death?
Essay Topic 2
Osarya, the ruler of the entire planet has a great deal of power over its peoples. How do you think earth would be different if the entire planet had one person who had final authority on all matters? Use examples from Malacandra and earth that point out the differences.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Weston's ideas of conquering other planets with America's treatment of the American Indian. How are they similar? Different? Would you consider one to be more immoral than the other?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)