|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Weston think when the Oyarsa asks about the dead hross?
(a) Unable to see where the voice of Oyarsa is coming from, Weston thinks it is a ventriloquist trick
(b) He believes they are going to be punished for killing the hross
(c) He thinks it's possible the Oyarsa is actually real
(d) He believes he's hallucinating
2. How did the narrator learn of the story?
(a) He ran into Weston and Weston told him
(b) He was an old friend of Ransom's
(c) He was there when the space ship landed
(d) From Ransom after writing him a letter asking about a Latin word
3. Who was Hyoi talking to the day he and Ransom met?
(b) The Osarya
(c) His son
(d) One of the eldil
4. What does Augray show Ransom in the observatory?
(a) The city where Oyarsa lives
(b) Hyoi's hross village
(c) Weston and Devine
(d) Earth, Thulcandra, the silent planet
5. When an eldil comes to Hyoi's boat what does he tell the hross?
(a) That Ransom shouldn't be there, but should be on his way to see Oyarsa
(b) That Ransom is in league with Weston and Devine
(c) That humans are not allowed to hunt hnakra
(d) That Hyoi must allow Ransom to kill the hnakra to prove himself
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the hross view death?
2. Besides the three races Ransom has heard about, another race, now extinct, lived on Malacandra. What was it?
3. What was the prophecy Oyarsa alluded to with Ransom?
4. What do Ransom and the narrator want to do with the prophecy?
5. What feeling is Ransom fighting as he leaves Hyoi's boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hross' relationship with the hnakra.
2. What happens with the three dead hross?
3. How does Ransom feel about going with Hyoi on the hunt for the hnakra? What does he want to prove?
4. What does Augray, the sorn, and Ransom talk about while eating?
5. What does the hross have to say about war on Malacandra?
6. Who begins speaking in Chapter 22? How did he learn of Ransom?
7. Describe a parallel between Ransom leaving to go to the mountains and the beginning of the book.
8. Why have Weston and Devine brought Ransom to Malacandra?
9. Who comes to Hyoi and Ransom as they move on the water searching for the hnakra? What does he have to say?
10. What is the narrator's purpose in writing this story?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)