|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the hross view death?
(a) As the end, that there is no life after death
(b) As a wonderful transformation
(c) As a choice to take when ready
(d) With horror and fear
2. What do Ransom and the narrator want to do with the prophecy?
(a) To publish it and have a best-seller
(b) To become rich and famou
(c) To warn the world about the coming events
(d) To publish it and let people know there's life on other planets
3. Who, besides the three men does Ransom believe is on the ship?
(a) One of the sorn have returned with them
(b) Some eldil have returned with them
(c) One of the hross have returned with them
(d) One of the pfifltriggi have returned with them
4. What does the Oyarsa asks Ransom?
(a) Oyarsa asks Ransom if they are criminals back on earth
(b) Oyarsa asks Ransom if the men are mentally deranged
(c) Oyarsa asks Ransom if he wants them punished
(d) Oyarsa asks Ransom if he saw them kill Hyoi
5. Where can the eldil go?
(a) They can't go anywhere if it's cloudy
(b) They cannot go more than a few miles from water
(c) They can only go a certain distance from Oyarsa
(d) They are able to move through time and space
6. What does Augray say about Oyarsa?
(a) No one knows who he/she is
(b) He only came to Malacandra a short time ago
(c) He kills criminals
(d) Oyarsa is eternal, is everywhere, and is invisible, like an eldil
7. What reason does Augray give for not going to Oyarsa 's island with Ransom?
(a) The Oyarsa does not allow Augray on the island
(b) Oyarsa has not called for him
(c) Augray needs to head home
(d) Augray and the hross manning the boat don't get along
8. How does Weston defend himself?
(a) He tells Oyarsa that Earth civilization is superior to Malacandra's
(b) He claims the hross stole from him and threatened him
(c) He says Ransom is a dangerous man and he was trying to capture him
(d) He says he was provoked by the hross
9. How often do the hross marry?
(a) The women have several husbands and many children
(b) The hross do not mate at all
(c) They marry only once and mate for only a short period of their lives
(d) They have no marriage and mate with whoever they want
10. What does Meldilorn, home of Oyarsa , look like when Ransom first views it?
(a) A city of towers
(b) It is a sloping island in a circular lake
(c) A small village, though larger than Hyoi's village
(d) A city made mostly out of crystals
11. What does Ransom do after Hyoi dies?
(a) He leaves the boat and runs away
(b) He sets off for the mountains to go to Osaya
(c) He finds Weston and kills him
(d) He apologizes to the other hross and weeps
12. What does Hyoi tell Ransom about the eldil?
(a) That they are shy creatures and come only at Oyarsa's command
(b) That they are hard to see and Ransom might not be able to see them
(c) That they tend to be arrogant and demanding
(d) That they look like fire
13. What has the narrator and Ransom been investigating?
(a) The similarities in the English and hross language
(b) How space travel might be possible
(c) The mystery of the connection between Earth and Malacandra
(d) Ancient history that coincides with old earth Osarya
14. What does Oyarsa say the "bent one" on earth has done?
(a) Turned the earth into a polluted mess
(b) Urged humans to fight among themselves
(c) Made men afraid of death
(d) Created racism
15. What does the Oyarsa say Weston and Devine must do because of their killing?
(a) That they must work the rest of their lives to support the families of the hross they killed
(b) That they are to be banished in the wilderness of Malacandra
(c) They will be held and brought to trial
(d) They must return to Earth in their space ship the following day
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Oyarsa say gives the Malacandrians peace?
2. What is the first question Oyarsa asks Ransom?
3. Why have they decided to present the story as fiction?
4. What happens to the ship after they land?
5. What does Augray show Ransom in the observatory?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)