|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the hnakra beloved by the hross?
(a) The danger of hunting them makes life more vivid and enjoyable
(b) They appreciate the sport of hunting them
(c) The hross came from the hnakra thousands of years ago
(d) The hnakra is the best food the hross can eat
2. Why was Ransom kidnapped, according to the Oyarsa?
(a) Weston and Devine were told they would be killed if they didn't bring him
(b) Oyarsa told the sorns to tell the men that unless they brought a person from Thulcandra to him, they could take no more gold
(c) Weston and Devine hoped to trade him for gold and power
(d) Weston and Devine thought the sorn would leave them alone if they brought a human sacrifice
3. Who was Hyoi talking to the day he and Ransom met?
(a) The Osarya
(c) One of the eldil
(d) His son
4. How did the narrator learn of the story?
(a) He ran into Weston and Weston told him
(b) From Ransom after writing him a letter asking about a Latin word
(c) He was there when the space ship landed
(d) He was an old friend of Ransom's
5. What does the Osarya offer Ransom?
(a) Psychic ability similar to the eldil
(b) A new name
(c) All the gold he can put into one of the empty rooms on the ship
(d) The opportunity to stay on Malacandra
6. How do the hross view death?
(a) With horror and fear
(b) As a choice to take when ready
(c) As the end, that there is no life after death
(d) As a wonderful transformation
7. From where does the milk for cheese come?
(a) A tree which puts out a milk-like substance
(b) The milk of a yellow grazing animal which young sorns herd in the forests
(c) Goats that roam the mountain
(d) Cows that they keep in the village
8. What interrupts Ransom and the Oyarsa's conversation?
(a) Ransom being too tired to continue without a rest
(b) A fire in one of the towers
(c) A group of eldil who fly in needing to see the Oyarsa
(d) A procession of hross enters carrying three dead hross in bundles and leading two prisoners
9. What does Oyarsa say the "bent one" on earth has done?
(a) Created racism
(b) Made men afraid of death
(c) Turned the earth into a polluted mess
(d) Urged humans to fight among themselves
10. What does the Oyarsa order when it's obvious Weston is not going to believe in his existence?
(a) He orders him off the island
(b) He orders him to be put in chains
(c) He orders him to kneel
(d) Oyarsa orders Weston to be taken away to have his head dunked in cold water
11. How often do the hross marry?
(a) The women have several husbands and many children
(b) They have no marriage and mate with whoever they want
(c) The hross do not mate at all
(d) They marry only once and mate for only a short period of their lives
12. What does Hyoi tell Ransom about the eldil?
(a) That they are shy creatures and come only at Oyarsa's command
(b) That they look like fire
(c) That they are hard to see and Ransom might not be able to see them
(d) That they tend to be arrogant and demanding
13. What reason does Augray give for not going to Oyarsa 's island with Ransom?
(a) Augray needs to head home
(b) Oyarsa has not called for him
(c) The Oyarsa does not allow Augray on the island
(d) Augray and the hross manning the boat don't get along
14. What does Ransom do after Hyoi dies?
(a) He apologizes to the other hross and weeps
(b) He sets off for the mountains to go to Osaya
(c) He finds Weston and kills him
(d) He leaves the boat and runs away
15. What do Ransom and the narrator want to do with the prophecy?
(a) To publish it and let people know there's life on other planets
(b) To become rich and famou
(c) To publish it and have a best-seller
(d) To warn the world about the coming events
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hyoi tell Ransom about war between the three races of Malacandra?
2. Where and with whom does Ransom spend the night on the island?
3. What has the narrator and Ransom been investigating?
4. When no one pays attention to Weston's threats or intimidations, what does he do?
5. What happens to the ship after they land?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)