|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ransom strips off his clothes because:
(a) there is a bug crawling down his shirt
(b) he is going to take a shower
(c) he wants a uniform to show his authority
(d) the heat is intense
2. Why does Ransom becomes depressed as they enter Malacandra's atmosphere?
(a) He finally believes he'll never see earth again
(b) He feels powerless to help himself
(c) He believes that his possible death is nearer
(d) The light dims and the darker atmosphere depresses him
3. What position does Ransom take on the ship?
(a) Weapons officer
(c) Morale officer
4. What does Ransom do first after he arrives at the village?
(a) He shakes hands with all the hross
(b) He falls asleep
(c) He takes a bath
(d) He throws a ball with the children
5. The name of the place where the simple-minded boy is being held and which Ransom finds to be an uninviting place:
(a) The Rise
(b) Barren Heights
(c) Jackson Hallows
(d) The Eyrie
6. When he closely examines the walls how do they appear?
(a) They aren't really there
(b) They are joined seamlessly with the floor
(c) They have small, raised bumps on them
(d) They are square
7. Why does Ransom think he feels so good?
(a) The food is very good
(b) Because the mysteries of space are being revealed to him
(c) It is a great adventure he's having
(d) He's still alive even though he's in space
8. What do the creatures do?
(a) Begin singing and dancing
(b) They show Weston and Devine through a door in the wall
(c) Jump up and down trying to reach the men
(d) Bare their teeth and growl
9. How does Devine control Ransom when they leave the ship?
(a) Drugs him so that he is able to walk but only slowly
(b) He holds a revolver on him
(c) Threatens to leave him there with no hope of returning to earth
(d) Handcuffs him
10. What does the woman ask of Ransom?
(a) To make sure Harry is sent home safely
(b) To help her move a sofa
(c) To carry some milk in from the barn
(d) To find out how late Harry plans to be
11. When the ship lands what does Ransom think about space?
(a) That space is dead and lifeless
(b) It is good to get out of space
(c) Space is alive and vibrant
(d) That it is lonely in space
12. What does Weston and Devine do when they finish eating?
(a) They push Ransom closer to the edge of the water
(b) Wash up in the water
(c) Clear the table
(d) Carry the chairs to the hut
13. Who is Ransom talking to near the end of the chapter?
(a) Some fish he sees swimming in the stream
(b) The tree he's leaning against
(d) His father
14. What bothers Ransom about describing earth to the hross?
(d) Comparing the violence and warfare of earth to this peaceful planet
15. When Ransom explores parts of the space ship, what does he find?
(a) Many empty rooms
(b) Several other human hostages
(c) Boxes full of dirt
(d) Many animals and insects from earth
Short Answer Questions
1. While drugged, Ransom has a dream in which he meets:
2. When Ransom comes to from being drugged, he tries to escape but is unable because:
3. What does Ransom do with his watch?
4. When Ransom approaches a small cottage looking for a possible place to spend the night, who does he meet?
5. What happens when Weston takes Ransom and leads him to breakfast?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)