|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the shifting gravity do to the ship?
(a) Makes the ship seem smaller
(b) Makes Ransom feel like his bones are breaking
(c) Turns walls into floors and floor into ceilings
(d) Makes the men much heavier
2. Devine leaves Ransom supposedly to go into the kitchen to get what?
(a) Soda water
(b) chicken noodle soup
(c) cheese and crackers
(d) ham sandwiches
3. When the ship is landing what is Ransom doing?
(a) Trying to find something heavy to hit Weston over the head with
(b) Wondering where they are
(c) He is deeply engaged in thought
(d) Thinking about escape
4. What does Thulcandra mean to the hross?
(a) The name of their God
(b) A type of animal used like a horse
(c) The chief of their village
(d) Silent planet
5. The name of the place where the simple-minded boy is being held and which Ransom finds to be an uninviting place:
(a) The Eyrie
(b) The Rise
(c) Barren Heights
(d) Jackson Hallows
6. The walls of the ship seem to shift constantly because:
(a) the walls are flexible rubber
(b) the walls are made of liquid
(c) they are on drugs and it only seems that the walls are shifting
(d) the center of the sphere is always down while they are in space
7. What are the walls made of?
8. What does the ship run on, as explained by Weston?
(a) nuclear power
(b) solar radiation
(d) geothermal energy
9. Who are the pfifltriggi?
(a) Small, dwarf like humanoid creatures who live on the ocean
(b) The council of elders under Oyarsa
(c) The slaves of the hross
(d) Another race of people on the planet
10. As they land, what does Random come to believe about planets?
(a) That they are alive and welcoming
(b) They all have human life
(c) That they are accidents of the cosmos
(d) That planets are dull, lifeless islands in space
11. What does Ransom think the empty rooms are for?
(a) To bring creatures back from the planet
(b) They couldn't fill them or it would be too heavy
(c) So eventually they can take passengers for pay
(d) He supposes they are meant to carry some cargo back to Earth
12. How does Ransom spend his time during the next few weeks?
(a) Playing cribbage with Devine
(b) Looking at the amazing sights from his skylight and listening to the tinkling of tiny meteors on the hull of the ship
(c) Exercising with weights
(d) Learning how to run the ship
13. What does Ransom hear when he gets into the backyard of the Rise?
(a) Two men singing a walking song
(b) He becomes aware of a scuffling sound and sharp voices
(c) A mule braying
(d) The barking of dogs
14. The nameless pedestrian who is walking along an English lane is called:
(a) Larry Weaks
(b) Edwin Ransom
(c) Harold James
(d) Jerrold Jones
15. What wakes up Ransom?
(b) An animal running through the forest
(c) Extreme thrist
(d) Weston and Devine shaking him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Devine actually go into the kitchen to do?
2. How does Devine control Ransom when they leave the ship?
3. When Ransom is on the wall, how does he feel?
4. What is on the other side of the wall?
5. When Weston confirms that Ransom is on a spaceship, Ransom is overcome with:
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)