|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the location in question #3, Ransom meets a former schoolmate whose name is:
2. How does Ransom feel when he finds out he is in space?
(d) Surprised and shocked.
3. How does Devine control Ransom when they leave the ship?
(a) Threatens to leave him there with no hope of returning to earth
(b) He holds a revolver on him
(c) Handcuffs him
(d) Drugs him so that he is able to walk but only slowly
4. The shape of the ship, as Weston explains, is:
(b) a sphere
5. What are the waves on the water like?
(a) Gentle and rolling
(b) The waves, like everything on the planet, are high and sharp
(c) There are no waves, the water is still
(d) Fast and high
6. The name of the place where the simple-minded boy is being held and which Ransom finds to be an uninviting place:
(a) Barren Heights
(b) The Eyrie
(c) The Rise
(d) Jackson Hallows
7. When Ransom approaches a small cottage looking for a possible place to spend the night, who does he meet?
(a) Harry's brother
(b) A colleague from his university
(c) A farmer
(d) Harry's mother
8. What happens to the center of gravity on the ship as they near the planet?
(a) It turns off
(b) It becomes haywire moving all over the ship
(c) Nothing happens to it
(d) It shifts from the center to the side closest to the planet
9. What does Thulcandra mean to the hross?
(a) The name of their God
(b) Silent planet
(c) The chief of their village
(d) A type of animal used like a horse
10. Ransom is a professor of:
(c) philology or languages
11. Who surrounds Ransom as they walk into the hross's home village?
(a) The women of the hross
(b) Armed hross who take him to a prison
(c) Small, furry animals who remind Ransom of dogs
(d) Hross children and other adult hross
12. What does Ransom hear as he runs through the forest?
(a) A strange snapping noise he can't place
(b) Gunshots and some voices yelling
(c) Fast, thudding steps behind him
(d) Birds singing in the trees
13. Who are the pfifltriggi?
(a) Another race of people on the planet
(b) The slaves of the hross
(c) Small, dwarf like humanoid creatures who live on the ocean
(d) The council of elders under Oyarsa
14. What does Ransom think the empty rooms are for?
(a) To bring creatures back from the planet
(b) So eventually they can take passengers for pay
(c) He supposes they are meant to carry some cargo back to Earth
(d) They couldn't fill them or it would be too heavy
15. What does Weston and Devine do when they finish eating?
(a) They push Ransom closer to the edge of the water
(b) Clear the table
(c) Wash up in the water
(d) Carry the chairs to the hut
Short Answer Questions
1. The second man, who is an accomplice to the man in question #4 and who is a physicist.
2. When the ship enters Malacandra's orbit how does Ransom feel upon wakening?
3. What does Ransom pilfer from the galley?
4. What does Ransom do when he sits down for a moment to rest?
5. What is an hnakra and its relationship to the hross?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)