|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff give to Miss Freeland for the children?
2. What does the passenger take from Billie Jo when he leaves?
3. Who shares the train car with Billie Jo?
4. What does Billie Jo's father have on his face?
5. To what event do Billie Jo and her father go all dressed up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
2. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
3. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
4. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
5. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
6. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
7. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
8. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
9. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
10. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story, Louise places a bowl of perfect apples on the shelf. What is the significance of the apples to Billie Jo and to the story overall? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)