|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the talent contest held?
2. How did Daddy meet Louise?
3. What does Billie Jo have some trepidation about looking at?
4. Where does Aunt Ellis live?
5. Where do people in town go to listen to Mad Dog's radio performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
2. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
3. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
4. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
5. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
6. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
7. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
8. How can something as normal as rain be viewed as special to Billie Jo and the people in town?
9. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
10. What is the bittersweet accomplishment Billie Jo makes at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Daddy. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)