|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Billie Jo not allow Louise to go?
2. What does Billie Jo's father have on his face?
3. Which of the following is not something Billie Jo feels bitter about?
4. What does Billie Jo take with her when she leaves in the middle of the night?
5. What does Billie Jo place over her nose to prevent breathing in the dust while she's in bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
2. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
3. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
4. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
5. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
6. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
7. Who is Louise?
8. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
9. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
10. What is the bittersweet accomplishment Billie Jo makes at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What important life lesson does Billie Jo learn from the man on the train? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Louise places a bowl of perfect apples on the shelf. What is the significance of the apples to Billie Jo and to the story overall? Explain.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)