|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city is Mad Dog going?
2. What does Billie Jo do each day before and after school?
3. Where does Daddy not want Billie Jo to go?
4. Who shares the train car with Billie Jo?
5. Ma used to arrange the items on the shelf _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
2. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
3. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
4. Who is Louise?
5. What is the bittersweet accomplishment Billie Jo makes at school?
6. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
7. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
8. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
9. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
10. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What important life lesson does Billie Jo learn from the man on the train? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Ma. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)