|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Billie Jo want to leave town?
2. What does Daddy do when a good rain comes following the snow?
3. What happens when Billie Jo moves around in her bed?
4. Which of the following do the children not bring for the live-in family?
5. How does Billie Jo view Louise's role in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
2. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
3. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
4. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
5. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
6. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
7. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
8. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
9. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
10. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 2
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Daddy. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)