|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the talent contest held?
2. Which of the following is not on Billie's Jo's list of things she is thankful for at Thanksgiving?
3. What does Billie Jo sense returning to the area?
4. What does the passenger take from Billie Jo when he leaves?
5. Who does Billie Jo have a crush on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
2. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
3. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
4. Who is Louise?
5. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
6. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
7. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
8. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
9. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
10. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Ma. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)