|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise arrange in a bowl?
2. What do Daddy and Billie Jo keep from the two boxes of Ma's things?
3. What do Billie Jo and Daddy encounter on the way to a funeral?
4. What is the relationship between Billie Jo and Daddy?
5. What does Billie Jo sense returning to the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
2. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
3. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
4. Who is Louise?
5. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
6. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
7. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
8. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
9. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
10. How does Billie Jo attempt to escape her life and the dust?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story such as the piano and the pond. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)