|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Ellis live?
2. Who does Billie Jo have a crush on?
3. What would Billie Jo like to see when she looks in the mirror?
4. Where do people in town go to listen to Mad Dog's radio performance?
5. What arrives at the school compliments of the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
2. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
3. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
4. What is the bittersweet accomplishment Billie Jo makes at school?
5. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
6. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
7. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
8. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
9. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
10. Who is Louise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)