|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Billie Jo get off the train?
2. What does Billie Jo have some trepidation about looking at?
3. How does Billie Jo view Louise's role in her life?
4. Who does Billie Jo call from the train station?
5. Where does Daddy decide to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
2. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
3. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
4. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
5. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
6. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
7. How does Billie Jo attempt to escape her life and the dust?
8. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
9. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
10. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story such as the piano and the pond. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)