|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo not want people to say about her?
2. What do the ranchers collect in the spring to feed their cows?
3. How does Billie Jo view Louise's role in her life?
4. Where will Billie Jo not allow Louise to go?
5. What does the passenger leave Billie Jo when he goes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
2. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
3. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
4. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
5. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
6. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
7. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
8. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
9. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
10. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
Essay Topic 2
Billie Jo becomes an outcast due to her hands being deformed after the fire. How does she manage through this stigma? How does she wish people would treat her? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Billie Jo's piano playing after her hands are burned.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)