|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
2. What amazing discovery is made in Oklahoma during this time?
3. Which of the following does not catch on fire in the town?
4. What does Billie Jo take with her when she leaves in the middle of the night?
5. Which of the following is not on Billie's Jo's list of things she is thankful for at Thanksgiving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
2. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
3. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
4. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
5. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
6. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
7. What is the bittersweet accomplishment Billie Jo makes at school?
8. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
9. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
10. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Ma. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the extremely trying times of people living in the dust bowl era, they are very generous and supportive of each other. Cite at least three examples that show this strength of character and generosity.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)