|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ma saving the dimes?
2. What is found on the church steps?
3. Who is Louise?
4. At what event is Billie Jo unable to play the piano because her hands hurt?
5. What does the passenger leave Billie Jo when he goes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
2. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
3. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
4. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
5. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
6. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
7. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
8. How does Billie Jo attempt to escape her life and the dust?
9. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
10. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story such as the piano and the pond. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Despite the extremely trying times of people living in the dust bowl era, they are very generous and supportive of each other. Cite at least three examples that show this strength of character and generosity.
Essay Topic 3
What important life lesson does Billie Jo learn from the man on the train? Explain.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)