|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the passenger ask Billie Jo for?
2. Why does Billie Jo tell her father to go to the doctor?
3. Mrs. Love, the government lady, takes applications for males to work ____________ jobs.
4. What does Louise arrange in a bowl?
5. How does Billie Jo describe her train trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
2. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
3. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
4. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
5. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
6. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
7. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
8. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
9. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
10. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaving is a common theme in the story. Cite some examples of people leaving in Billie Jo's life and how she herself longs to leave her existence.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)