|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff give to Miss Freeland for the children?
2. What does Billie Jo have some trepidation about looking at?
3. Ma used to arrange the items on the shelf _____________________.
4. What do the thoughts of her mother prompt Billie Jo to do?
5. With whom does Billie Jo want to leave town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
2. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
3. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
4. Who is Louise?
5. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
6. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
7. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
8. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
9. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
10. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
Essay Topic 2
OUT OF THE DUST is a verse novel. Explain the concept of what a verse novel is and cite examples that support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What important life lesson does Billie Jo learn from the man on the train? Explain.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)