|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo think about as she sits in front of Ma's piano?
2. What is the relationship between Billie Jo and Daddy?
3. What does Billie Jo place over her nose to prevent breathing in the dust while she's in bed?
4. What does Billie Jo's father have on his face?
5. What do Billie Jo and the passenger have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
2. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
3. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
4. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
5. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
6. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
7. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
8. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
9. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
10. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)