|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the piano not represent for Billie Jo?
2. Who is Louise?
3. What does the government do to help the farmers?
4. Billie Jo tells Louise that there is nothing better than __________________.
5. What realization does Billie Jo come to while on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can something as normal as rain be viewed as special to Billie Jo and the people in town?
2. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
3. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
4. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
5. How does Billie Jo attempt to escape her life and the dust?
6. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
7. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
8. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
9. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
10. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)