|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Billie Jo get off the train?
2. Who has moved into the schoolhouse?
3. Where does Aunt Ellis live?
4. Who shares the train car with Billie Jo?
5. What does Billie Jo think about as she sits in front of Ma's piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
2. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
3. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
4. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
5. What is the bittersweet accomplishment Billie Jo makes at school?
6. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
7. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
8. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
9. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
10. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story such as the piano and the pond. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Louise places a bowl of perfect apples on the shelf. What is the significance of the apples to Billie Jo and to the story overall? Explain.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)