|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shares the train car with Billie Jo?
2. What does Billie Jo do each day before and after school?
3. What is the content of the letter from Aunt Ellis?
4. What do Daddy and Billie Jo keep from the two boxes of Ma's things?
5. Who does Billie Jo have a crush on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
2. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
3. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
4. Who is Louise?
5. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
6. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
7. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
8. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
9. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
10. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Billie Jo becomes an outcast due to her hands being deformed after the fire. How does she manage through this stigma? How does she wish people would treat her? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)