|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo tell Louise that Billie Jo has like her mother?
2. Which of the following do the children not bring for the live-in family?
3. To what city is Mad Dog going?
4. Which of the following is not on Billie's Jo's list of things she is thankful for at Thanksgiving?
5. What does Joe De La Flor need to divest himself of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
2. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
3. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
4. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
5. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
6. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
7. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
8. How can something as normal as rain be viewed as special to Billie Jo and the people in town?
9. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
10. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Ma. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Daddy. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)