|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billie Jo go in the middle of the night?
2. What do Billie Jo and Daddy encounter on the way to a funeral?
3. What does Doc Rice tell Billie Jo to do with her hands?
4. At what event is Billie Jo unable to play the piano because her hands hurt?
5. What is found on the church steps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
2. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
3. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
4. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
5. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
6. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
7. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
8. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
9. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
10. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)