|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
2. Billie Jo feels _____________ in the presence of her father.
3. Which of the following is not on Billie's Jo's list of things she is thankful for at Thanksgiving?
4. Mrs. Love, the government lady, takes applications for males to work ____________ jobs.
5. What does Billie Jo do each day before and after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
2. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
3. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
4. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
5. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
6. What is the bittersweet accomplishment Billie Jo makes at school?
7. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
8. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
9. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
10. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
Essay Topic 2
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Billie Jo's piano playing after her hands are burned.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)