|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Billie Jo feels _____________ in the presence of her father.
2. What does Billie Jo see along the tracks?
3. To what city is Mad Dog going?
4. Mrs. Love, the government lady, takes applications for males to work ____________ jobs.
5. Who shares the train car with Billie Jo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
2. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
3. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
4. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
5. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
6. How can something as normal as rain be viewed as special to Billie Jo and the people in town?
7. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
8. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
9. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
10. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
What important life lesson does Billie Jo learn from the man on the train? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Billie Jo becomes an outcast due to her hands being deformed after the fire. How does she manage through this stigma? How does she wish people would treat her? Explain.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)