|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old will Billie Jo be when her mother has the new baby?
2. What does Daddy feed Ma?
3. What does Billie Jo hunger for in her life?
4. Arley thinks that Billie Jo can ___________________________.
5. What flowers would grow on the graves of the war dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
2. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
3. What is the issue with the rabbits and why is Billie Jo so upset about it?
4. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
5. What happens in the aftermath of Ma's death?
6. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
7. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
8. Who is Livie?
9. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
10. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Ma. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
OUT OF THE DUST is a verse novel. Explain the concept of what a verse novel is and cite examples that support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the extremely trying times of people living in the dust bowl era, they are very generous and supportive of each other. Cite at least three examples that show this strength of character and generosity.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)