Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daddy doing based on advice Ma had given him?
2. After the exhibit is over, Billie Jo is angry because ___________________________.
3. What does Daddy no longer tell Billie Jo?
4. Why does the person in #79 not ask Billie Jo to try out for a sport?
5. What does Billie Jo see on the way to the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
2. What is the dust a metaphor for?
3. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
4. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
5. What does Billie Jo think about the dinosaur bones that are found in Oklahoma?
6. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
7. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
8. How does Billie Jo attempt to escape her life and the dust?
9. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
10. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
Essay Topic 1
The climax of the story is Billie Jo's little train trip and her return home. Explain the meaning of a story's climax. Why does this situation quality as the climax of this story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mad Dog and what role does he play in Billie Jo's life as the story extends? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)