|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Daddy going to get help with the farm?
2. What happens to Ma as Billie Jo is trying to save the apple trees?
3. Billie Jo says about her father that "If he had cried, his tears would have been __________ too, but he didn't cry."
4. Ma is burned so badly that she is _______________________.
5. Why does Billie Jo go to Mrs. Brown's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
2. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
3. Who is Livie?
4. In addition to her love for music, what other force drives Billie Jo to have beautiful experiences?
5. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
6. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
7. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
8. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
9. What is the dust a metaphor for?
10. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)