|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Billie Jo attend the event at the courthouse?
2. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
3. Billie Jo would be a good athlete because she is ___________ and has great hands.
4. What does Arley ask Billie Jo to do for Vera Wanderdale's dance revue?
5. What does Ma think will help get water to the crops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dust a metaphor for?
2. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
3. What happens in the aftermath of Ma's death?
4. What happens when Daddy blows his nose or coughs after a dust storm?
5. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
6. How do Billie Jo and Daddy interact now that Ma is gone?
7. How does Billie Jo like being on the road and playing piano?
8. Describe the dust storm that wakes Billie Jo at night.
9. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
10. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story such as the piano and the pond. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)