|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what state is Billie Jo's best friend moving?
2. Arley thinks that Billie Jo can ___________________________.
3. How much wheat does one farmer get from a 20-bushel acre?
4. What does Billie Jo like to fall from the trees into her hair?
5. How is Daddy going to get help with the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Billie Jo and Daddy interact now that Ma is gone?
2. What happens when Daddy blows his nose or coughs after a dust storm?
3. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
4. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
5. What is the argument about a pond between Daddy and Ma?
6. What is the issue with the rabbits and why is Billie Jo so upset about it?
7. What is the dust a metaphor for?
8. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
9. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
10. Describe the dust storm that wakes Billie Jo at night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The climax of the story is Billie Jo's little train trip and her return home. Explain the meaning of a story's climax. Why does this situation quality as the climax of this story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)