|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war did Billie Jo's father serve?
2. What ruins the family's winter wheat crop?
3. Billie Jo chooses a set of songs that all have the word ___________ in the title.
4. What can Billie Jo no longer tolerate?
5. Who is Arley Wanderdale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dust a metaphor for?
2. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
3. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
4. What is the argument about a pond between Daddy and Ma?
5. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
6. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
7. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
8. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
9. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
10. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaving is a common theme in the story. Cite some examples of people leaving in Billie Jo's life and how she herself longs to leave her existence.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)