|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ma start to teach Billie Jo how to play the piano?
2. Billie Jo cannot forgive her father for _________________________.
3. What does Daddy say Mad Dog's real name is?
4. Who has been Billie Jo's best friend since first grade?
5. Mad Dog says he got his name because as a child he used to _________________ like a mad dog.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
2. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
3. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
4. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
5. What are Ma's injuries and how does Daddy take care of her?
6. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
7. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
8. What is the dust a metaphor for?
9. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
10. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the extremely trying times of people living in the dust bowl era, they are very generous and supportive of each other. Cite at least three examples that show this strength of character and generosity.
Essay Topic 2
The climax of the story is Billie Jo's little train trip and her return home. Explain the meaning of a story's climax. Why does this situation quality as the climax of this story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Billie Jo's piano playing after her hands are burned.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)