|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Arley Wanderdale?
2. Who has a reputation for cheating customers at his store?
3. Billie Jo would be a good athlete because she is ___________ and has great hands.
4. Which of the following does Billie Jo not want to find in the world?
5. Billie Jo likes seeing new places and ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
2. What is the importance of the apple trees to Ma and Billie Jo?
3. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
4. What is the dust a metaphor for?
5. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
6. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
7. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
8. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
9. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
10. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The climax of the story is Billie Jo's little train trip and her return home. Explain the meaning of a story's climax. Why does this situation quality as the climax of this story?
Essay Topic 2
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)