|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What totally unexpected event occurs in Autumn 1934?
2. For what fruit does Billie Jo have a fondness?
3. What does Billie Jo call playing piano on stage?
4. To what state is Billie Jo's best friend moving?
5. What happens when Billie Jo throws the pail outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
2. What is the dust a metaphor for?
3. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
4. How does Billie Jo like being on the road and playing piano?
5. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
6. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
7. What happens when Daddy blows his nose or coughs after a dust storm?
8. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
9. Who is Billie Jo? What does she like? Where does she live and who is her family?
10. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story such as the piano and the pond. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What important life lesson does Billie Jo learn from the man on the train? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Billie Jo's piano playing after her hands are burned.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)