|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ma is burned so badly that she is _______________________.
2. Why does Billie Jo go to Mrs. Brown's house?
3. After the exhibit is over, Billie Jo is angry because ___________________________.
4. What event is held at the courthouse?
5. What can Billie Jo no longer tolerate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
2. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
3. How does Billie Jo like being on the road and playing piano?
4. What are Ma's injuries and how does Daddy take care of her?
5. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
6. Who is Livie?
7. What is the argument about a pond between Daddy and Ma?
8. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
9. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
10. What is the dust a metaphor for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OUT OF THE DUST is a verse novel. Explain the concept of what a verse novel is and cite examples that support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)