|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arley thinks that Billie Jo can ___________________________.
2. How does Billie Jo have to set the table during the dust bowl era?
3. How much wheat does one farmer get from a 20-bushel acre?
4. In Billie Jo's dream, Ma gives birth to a baby ______________.
5. Why does Daddy get a different job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Billie Jo and Daddy interact now that Ma is gone?
2. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
3. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
4. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
5. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
6. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
7. Describe the dust storm that wakes Billie Jo at night.
8. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
9. Who is Billie Jo? What does she like? Where does she live and who is her family?
10. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OUT OF THE DUST is a verse novel. Explain the concept of what a verse novel is and cite examples that support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Leaving is a common theme in the story. Cite some examples of people leaving in Billie Jo's life and how she herself longs to leave her existence.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)