|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does dust get into the classroom?
2. Mad Dog says he got his name because as a child he used to _________________ like a mad dog.
3. What does Billie Jo call playing piano on stage?
4. What do the neighbors talk about after Ma's funeral?
5. What musical instrument does Billie Jo like?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
2. How does Billie Jo attempt to escape her life and the dust?
3. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
4. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
5. What is the importance of the apple trees to Ma and Billie Jo?
6. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
7. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
8. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
9. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
10. Who is Livie?
Essay Topic 1
How does Billie Jo view her mother before her death? How does her perception change after Ma dies? Are her reactions normal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,492 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)