|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo see eating up the wheat crop?
2. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
3. What is in the pail that Ma grabs in the kitchen?
4. In what year is Billie Jo born?
5. What totally unexpected event occurs in Autumn 1934?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
2. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
3. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
4. What is the dust a metaphor for?
5. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
6. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
7. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
8. Who is Livie?
9. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
10. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of Billie Jo's piano playing after her hands are burned.
Essay Topic 3
Billie Jo becomes an outcast due to her hands being deformed after the fire. How does she manage through this stigma? How does she wish people would treat her? Explain.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)