|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mr. Noble and Mr. Romney do to take care of the pests?
2. What is eating the crops?
3. How many other children other than Billie Jo are in Billie Jo's family in the Beginning?
4. How is Daddy going to get help with the farm?
5. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
2. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
3. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
4. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
5. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
6. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
7. What are Ma's injuries and how does Daddy take care of her?
8. Who is Livie?
9. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
10. How are Billie Jo's injuries treated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What important life lesson does Billie Jo learn from the man on the train? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)