|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo like to fall from the trees into her hair?
2. Who has been Billie Jo's best friend since first grade?
3. What do the neighbors talk about after Ma's funeral?
4. When did Ma start to teach Billie Jo how to play the piano?
5. Billie Jo chooses a set of songs that all have the word ___________ in the title.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
2. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
3. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
4. What is the argument about a pond between Daddy and Ma?
5. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
6. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
7. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
8. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
9. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
10. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Billie Jo becomes an outcast due to her hands being deformed after the fire. How does she manage through this stigma? How does she wish people would treat her? Explain.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)