|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to encourage Billie Jo to try out for a sport?
2. What noteworthy event happens in Hawaii in the summer of 1934?
3. What happens when Billie Jo throws the pail outside?
4. How is Daddy going to get help with the farm?
5. After the exhibit is over, Billie Jo is angry because ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the issue with the rabbits and why is Billie Jo so upset about it?
2. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
3. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
4. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
5. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
6. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
7. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
8. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
9. How do Billie Jo and Daddy interact now that Ma is gone?
10. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Daddy. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)