|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of trees are in Billie Jo's front yard?
2. What totally unexpected event occurs in Autumn 1934?
3. What flowers would grow on the graves of the war dead?
4. Who does Billie Jo go on the road with to play piano?
5. What can Billie Jo no longer tolerate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
2. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
3. Who is Louise?
4. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
5. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
6. How does Billie Jo like being on the road and playing piano?
7. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
8. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
9. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
10. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story such as the piano and the pond. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, Louise places a bowl of perfect apples on the shelf. What is the significance of the apples to Billie Jo and to the story overall? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The climax of the story is Billie Jo's little train trip and her return home. Explain the meaning of a story's climax. Why does this situation quality as the climax of this story?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)