|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo do as the dust storm approaches?
2. What does Daddy think about Ma's idea to get water to the crops?
3. What can Billie Jo no longer tolerate?
4. What does Arley ask Billie Jo to do for Vera Wanderdale's dance revue?
5. What totally unexpected event occurs in Autumn 1934?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
2. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
3. Who is Billie Jo? What does she like? Where does she live and who is her family?
4. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
5. How does Billie Jo like being on the road and playing piano?
6. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
7. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
8. How are Billie Jo's injuries treated?
9. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
10. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Billie Jo becomes an outcast due to her hands being deformed after the fire. How does she manage through this stigma? How does she wish people would treat her? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)