|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what fruit does Billie Jo have a fondness?
2. Arley thinks that Billie Jo can ___________________________.
3. What does Billie Jo see sliding down her mother's skin?
4. Which of the following does not hurt Billie Jo's hands?
5. How does Billie Jo have to set the table during the dust bowl era?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
2. Who is Billie Jo? What does she like? Where does she live and who is her family?
3. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
4. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
5. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
6. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
7. What is the dust a metaphor for?
8. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
9. What are Ma's injuries and how does Daddy take care of her?
10. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story, Louise places a bowl of perfect apples on the shelf. What is the significance of the apples to Billie Jo and to the story overall? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Daddy. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
OUT OF THE DUST is a verse novel. Explain the concept of what a verse novel is and cite examples that support your answer.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)