|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Billie Jo throws the pail outside?
2. What crop is dying and drying up?
3. In her dream what does Billie Jo find in the neighbor's house?
4. Billie Jo is glad to be around Mad Dog because he _________________________ or treat her like she's handicapped.
5. What does Billie Jo wish she could buy at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the aftermath of Ma's death?
2. What is the issue with the rabbits and why is Billie Jo so upset about it?
3. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
4. What is the importance of the apple trees to Ma and Billie Jo?
5. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
6. In addition to her love for music, what other force drives Billie Jo to have beautiful experiences?
7. How are Billie Jo's injuries treated?
8. How does Billie Jo earn money playing the piano?
9. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
10. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The climax of the story is Billie Jo's little train trip and her return home. Explain the meaning of a story's climax. Why does this situation quality as the climax of this story?
Essay Topic 2
Leaving is a common theme in the story. Cite some examples of people leaving in Billie Jo's life and how she herself longs to leave her existence.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mad Dog and what role does he play in Billie Jo's life as the story extends? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)