|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what opera is Billie Jo's teacher going to sing?
2. In her dream what does Billie Jo find in the neighbor's house?
3. Ma is burned so badly that she is _______________________.
4. What does Billie Jo see on the way to the store?
5. What happens to Ma as Billie Jo is trying to save the apple trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
2. How do Billie Jo and Daddy interact now that Ma is gone?
3. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
4. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
5. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
6. What is the argument about a pond between Daddy and Ma?
7. Who is Livie?
8. What is the issue with the rabbits and why is Billie Jo so upset about it?
9. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
10. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Billie Jo's piano serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the piano both before and after Ma's death.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)