|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is contained in the boxes that Billie Jo finds?
2. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
3. What color is the dust storm that roars through the area?
4. What flowers would grow on the graves of the war dead?
5. What happens when Billie Jo throws the pail outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daddy do for work since the wheat crop is failing?
2. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
3. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
4. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
5. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
6. Who is Livie?
7. What happens when Daddy blows his nose or coughs after a dust storm?
8. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
9. Who is Billie Jo? What does she like? Where does she live and who is her family?
10. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dust takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mad Dog and what role does he play in Billie Jo's life as the story extends? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)