|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Billie Jo would be a good athlete because she is ___________ and has great hands.
2. Who has a reputation for cheating customers at his store?
3. Who has been Billie Jo's best friend since first grade?
4. Billie Jo likes seeing new places and ________________________.
5. What is eating the crops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mad Dog make Billie Jo feel like things are back to normal at least for a little bit?
2. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
3. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
4. How are Billie Jo's injuries treated?
5. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
6. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
7. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
8. In addition to her love for music, what other force drives Billie Jo to have beautiful experiences?
9. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
10. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the thought process that Billie Jo has that prompts her to hop a train headed west. What prompts her to return home? What was the purpose of this experience for both Billie Jo and Daddy?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Ma. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Billie Jo. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)