|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo wish she could buy at the store?
2. What does Daddy no longer tell Billie Jo?
3. In what year is Billie Jo born?
4. Why does Billie Jo think she should get extra credit in class?
5. Who is Arley Wanderdale?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to her love for music, what other force drives Billie Jo to have beautiful experiences?
2. What are the special rules about setting the table during the dust bowl era?
3. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
4. Who is Billie Jo? What does she like? Where does she live and who is her family?
5. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
6. Who is Livie?
7. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
8. Describe the dust storm that wakes Billie Jo at night.
9. How do Billie Jo and Daddy interact now that Ma is gone?
10. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story, Louise places a bowl of perfect apples on the shelf. What is the significance of the apples to Billie Jo and to the story overall? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Daddy. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)