|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo see sliding down her mother's skin?
2. In what war did Billie Jo's father serve?
3. Mad Dog says he got his name because as a child he used to _________________ like a mad dog.
4. What does Daddy think about Ma's idea to get water to the crops?
5. What do Daddy and Ma argue about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
2. Who is Livie?
3. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
4. In addition to her love for music, what other force drives Billie Jo to have beautiful experiences?
5. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
6. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
7. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
8. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
9. Explain the accident that severely injures Ma and Billie Jo.
10. Who is Billie Jo? What does she like? Where does she live and who is her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Daddy. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Louise and what is her role in the family? Is Billie Jo right to be cautiously optimistic about Louise's presence in her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of art and culture in Billie Jo's life? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)