|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billie Jo tell Louise that Billie Jo has like her mother?
(a) Piano hands
(b) Full lips
(c) Wiry hair
(d) Tiny ears
2. Who is Haydon P. Nye?
(a) One of the first white settlers who came out west
(b) The town banker
(c) A Congressman
(d) The school principal
3. Why does Billie Jo tell her father to go to the doctor?
(a) Because of swollen joints
(b) Because of his weight loss
(c) Because of his depression
(d) Because of the spots on his face
4. With whom does Billie Jo want to leave town?
(a) Mad Dog
(b) Miss Freeland
(c) The live-in family
(d) The Tyler family
5. Which of the following does not catch on fire in the town?
(a) Railroad cars
(c) The school
(d) The church
Short Answer Questions
1. The sheriff catches some men producing _________________ down by the river.
2. What do the ranchers collect in the spring to feed their cows?
3. Who does Billie Jo call from the train station?
4. What item is not made for this year's Christmas dinner?
5. What does Billie Jo have some trepidation about looking at?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can something as normal as rain be viewed as special to Billie Jo and the people in town?
2. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
3. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
4. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
5. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
6. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
7. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
8. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
9. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
10. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)