|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Louise's best domestic skill?
2. What does Billie Jo think about as she sits in front of Ma's piano?
(a) Mad Dog's success
(b) A song for babies
(c) Ma's playing
(d) Livie's laughter
3. What does Billie Jo find in a box of baby clothes?
(a) Pressed flowers in a book
(b) Love letters
(c) Dimes Ma saved
(d) Old pictures
4. Why is Mad Dog leaving?
(a) To go to college
(b) To work for the power company
(c) To work on the railroad
(d) To sing on the radio
5. Where does Daddy not want Billie Jo to go?
(a) Aunt Ellis' house
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found on the church steps?
2. What do Billie Jo and Daddy encounter on the way to a funeral?
3. What does the government do to help the farmers?
4. Who is Haydon P. Nye?
5. What does Billie Jo place over her nose to prevent breathing in the dust while she's in bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what things is Billie Jo thankful on this Thanksgiving?
2. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
3. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
4. How can something as normal as rain be viewed as special to Billie Jo and the people in town?
5. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
6. How does Billie Jo attempt to escape her life and the dust?
7. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
8. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
9. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
10. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)