|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Billie Jo tells Louise that there is nothing better than __________________.
2. What happens when Billie Jo moves around in her bed?
(a) The mattress shifts
(b) She falls to the floor
(c) The springs creak
(d) It sends up the dust
3. Why does Billie Jo tell her father to go to the doctor?
(a) Because of swollen joints
(b) Because of his depression
(c) Because of the spots on his face
(d) Because of his weight loss
4. Why is Mad Dog leaving?
(a) To work for the power company
(b) To sing on the radio
(c) To work on the railroad
(d) To go to college
5. Of what disease does Pete Guyton, the produce man, die?
(b) Heart attack
(c) Dust Pneumonia
(d) Kidney failure
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the passenger ask Billie Jo for?
2. Who is Louise?
3. What does Billie Jo have some trepidation about looking at?
4. What does Billie Jo see along the tracks?
5. Billie Jo feels _____________ in the presence of her father.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances around the black cloud on the way to the funeral?
2. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
3. How does the lack of a mother make Billie Jo unsure of how to manage her feelings about Mad Dog?
4. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
5. How does Doc Rice treat both Daddy and Billie Jo?
6. Who is Louise?
7. With whom does Billie Jo share a train car for a short while? Explain that experience and what it teaches Billie Jo.
8. What news does Mad Dog come to deliver to Billie Jo?
9. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
10. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)