|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billie Jo take with her when she leaves in the middle of the night?
(a) Clothes on her back
(b) Aunt Ellis' letter and some food
(c) A little money and food
(d) A little money and Ma's picture
2. Why can the mail train not get through?
(a) The rails are broken
(b) The dust drifts the tracks like snow
(c) It is held up
(d) The engine fails
3. Which of the following does not catch on fire in the town?
(a) The church
(c) Railroad cars
(d) The school
4. What does Daddy do when a good rain comes following the snow?
(a) Cleans the dust out of his tractor
(b) Sits in the rain for hours
(c) Goes to town for umbrellas
(d) Puts out more barrels and buckets
5. What does Billie Jo have some trepidation about looking at?
(a) Her father
(b) The piano
(c) The new baby
(d) The cemetery
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the government do to help the farmers?
2. Where is the talent contest held?
3. What is found on the church steps?
4. What does Billie Jo's father have on his face?
5. What would Billie Jo like to see when she looks in the mirror?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
2. What immediate plans to Billie Jo and Daddy make to begin healing?
3. What does Billie Jo admit to herself about her mother's death, her father's indifference toward her and her need to escape this life?
4. How does Billie Jo feel about the famous photographer who comes from Canada to take pictures of the dust bowl?
5. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
6. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
7. Who is Joe De La Flor and what hardship does he face regarding his cattle?
8. Why is the lack of cranberry sauce such a poignant lack at Christmas dinner?
9. How does fire seem to be an ever-present threat in Billie Jo's life?
10. What is the content of the letter Aunt Ellis sends to Billie Jo?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)