|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billie Jo tell her father to go to the doctor?
(a) Because of swollen joints
(b) Because of his depression
(c) Because of his weight loss
(d) Because of the spots on his face
2. Mrs. Love, the government lady, takes applications for males to work ____________ jobs.
3. Which of the following is not something Billie Jo feels bitter about?
(a) The dust
(b) Mad Dog's success
(c) Ma's death
(d) Her father's indifference
4. What does Louise arrange in a bowl?
5. What does Billie Jo find in a box of baby clothes?
(a) Old pictures
(b) Pressed flowers in a book
(c) Dimes Ma saved
(d) Love letters
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not catch on fire in the town?
2. What does Billie Jo see along the tracks?
3. What makes the people of Oklahoma begin to think that the dust plague might be over?
4. What happens when Billie Jo moves around in her bed?
5. What does Billie Jo take with her when she leaves in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Billie Jo has not taken any interest in cleaning the house until she sees someone else scrubbing hardened mud. What does this prompt Billie Jo to do and why does she feel haunted by Ma in her actions?
2. How did Billie Jo's time away change the relationship between her and her father?
3. Explain Billie Jo's cautious optimism where Louise is concerned.
4. How do the children and the itinerant family interact with each other?
5. How can something as normal as rain be viewed as special to Billie Jo and the people in town?
6. Who are the unexpected tenants of the schoolhouse for a couple weeks?
7. How does Billie Jo assign human characteristics to her piano?
8. Why are the migrant workers leaving the area in such large numbers?
9. How does Billie Jo block Louise's entry into a part of their lives?
10. How does Billie Jo finally come to terms with the dust and its full impact on her life?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)