|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is contained in the boxes that Billie Jo finds?
(a) Travel brochures
(b) Antique knives
(c) Mementoes of Billie Jo's life
(d) Cookie cutters
2. Mad Dog says he got his name because as a child he used to _________________ like a mad dog.
(b) Rattle his chain
(c) Eat anything he could
(d) Run the streets
3. Which of the following is not one of the things Billie Jo expects to eat after the apples are ripe?
4. What event is held at the courthouse?
(a) Ice cream social
(b) Barbershop quartet show
(c) Art exhibit
(d) Political rally
5. What does Billie Jo like to fall from the trees into her hair?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does President Roosevelt encourage people to plant in the dust bowl?
2. What does Daddy think about Ma's idea to get water to the crops?
3. The boy who stops at Billie Jo's house to work and eat is headed to __________________.
4. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
5. What does Billie Jo see sliding down her mother's skin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of Ma's death which corresponds with the devastation of the apple trees.
2. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
3. How are Billie Jo's injuries treated?
4. How does Billie Jo feel about the piano since Ma has died?
5. What is the importance of the apple trees to Ma and Billie Jo?
6. What is the argument about a pond between Daddy and Ma?
7. What happens when Daddy blows his nose or coughs after a dust storm?
8. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
9. What is the irony of Ma not liking Billie Jo to play the piano?
10. How does Ma react when a brief rain comes in the Summer of 1934?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)