|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Billie Jo mad at her mother?
(a) She will not make her a new dress
(b) She will not let her wear makeup
(c) She will not let her go to the movies
(d) She will not let her miss school to practice for a program
2. When did Ma start to teach Billie Jo how to play the piano?
(a) On Christmas
(b) On her fifth birthday
(c) During summer vacation
(d) On her tenth birthday
3. What does Billie Jo wish she could do in town?
(a) Go to dinner
(b) Go to the movies
(c) Pick up the show costumes
(d) Buy a new dress
4. What is Daddy's job?
(a) Selling agricultural implements
(b) Selling men's clothes
(c) Digging holes for towers
(d) Auditing tax returns
5. Why does Billie Jo go to Mrs. Brown's house?
(a) To learn to sew
(b) To eat raspberry pie
(c) To take singing lessons
(d) To see a flower as big as a plate
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daddy feed Ma?
2. How many trees are in Billie Jo's front yard?
3. Which of the following does not hurt Billie Jo's hands?
4. In what opera is Billie Jo's teacher going to sing?
5. What does Daddy think about Ma's idea to get water to the crops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mad Dog say he got his nickname? What is his real name?
2. Explain how people view Billie Jo now that her hands are injured.
3. Describe some of the grim scenarios that Billie Jo sees.
4. What are the first indications that Billie Jo wants to escape her situation for a brighter life?
5. What is the significance of the snowfall in Autumn 1934?
6. How do Billie Jo and Daddy interact now that Ma is gone?
7. How does the wandering boy symbolize all the people who want to escape the dust bowl and have a better life in California?
8. Explain Billie Jo's reference to red poppies.
9. What is Billie Jo looking forward to regarding the apples?
10. What is Bille Jo's overall state of mind in Autumn 1934?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)