|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Billie Jo have a crush on?
(a) Mad Dog
2. What does Billie Jo think her father is looking for when he looks at her?
(a) Her hygiene
(b) Her grammar
(c) Traces of Ma
(d) Her manners
3. What does Billie Jo's father have on his face?
4. What does Billie Jo find in a box of baby clothes?
(a) Love letters
(b) Pressed flowers in a book
(c) Dimes Ma saved
(d) Old pictures
5. Who shares the train car with Billie Jo?
(a) A single mother
(b) A dirty man
(c) A priest
(d) A newlywed couple
6. What item is not made for this year's Christmas dinner?
(a) Roast turkey
(b) Glazed ham
(c) Lemon pie
(d) Cranberry sauce
7. Where does Daddy decide to go?
(a) Night school
8. Why can the mail train not get through?
(a) The dust drifts the tracks like snow
(b) It is held up
(c) The engine fails
(d) The rails are broken
9. Which of the following is not on Billie's Jo's list of things she is thankful for at Thanksgiving?
(b) Food without dust
(c) Daddy's smile
10. What do Billie Jo and the passenger have in common?
(a) The same birth date
(b) Fear of being alone
(c) Bad home lives
(d) The need to escape the dust
11. With whom does Billie Jo want to leave town?
(a) Mad Dog
(b) Miss Freeland
(c) The Tyler family
(d) The live-in family
12. Who begins to leave the area in large groups?
(c) Migrant workers
(d) Road workers
13. What realization does Billie Jo come to while on the train?
(a) She wants to go to Aunt Ellis' house
(b) She wants to move to Amarillo
(c) She has left her father alone
(d) She misses her father
14. Which of the following do the children not bring for the live-in family?
15. Which of the following does not catch on fire in the town?
(a) Railroad cars
(c) The school
(d) The church
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billie Jo tell Louise that Billie Jo has like her mother?
2. What do Daddy and Billie Jo keep from the two boxes of Ma's things?
3. Where do people in town go to listen to Mad Dog's radio performance?
4. Who is Louise?
5. Why is Mad Dog leaving?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)