|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her dream what does Billie Jo find in the neighbor's house?
(a) Dead apple trees
(b) A statue of Franklin D. Roosevelt
(c) A piano
(d) A wall of dust
2. Why is Billie Jo mad at her mother?
(a) She will not let her wear makeup
(b) She will not let her miss school to practice for a program
(c) She will not make her a new dress
(d) She will not let her go to the movies
3. How many other children other than Billie Jo are in Billie Jo's family in the Beginning?
4. Ma thinks they should try growing some crops that do better in dry weather like cotton or ______________.
5. Mad Dog says he got his name because as a child he used to _________________ like a mad dog.
(a) Run the streets
(b) Rattle his chain
(d) Eat anything he could
6. What do Mr. Noble and Mr. Romney do to take care of the pests?
(a) Set traps
(b) Put out poison
(c) Call the exterminator
(d) Have a rabbit-killing contest
7. How much wheat does one farmer get from a 20-bushel acre?
(a) 13 bushels
(b) 8 bushels
(c) 17 bushels
(d) 3 bushels
8. What does Billie Jo see eating up the wheat crop?
9. What is Daddy's job?
(a) Auditing tax returns
(b) Selling men's clothes
(c) Selling agricultural implements
(d) Digging holes for towers
10. Billie Jo cannot forgive her father for _________________________.
(a) Not buying her a new dress
(b) Abandoning her
(c) Not loving her enough
(d) The pail of kerosene left by the stove
11. What does Billie Jo see sliding down her mother's skin?
12. What type of trees are in Billie Jo's front yard?
13. What totally unexpected event occurs in Autumn 1934?
(a) Daddy sells the farm
(b) Billie Jo falls in love
(c) It snows
(d) A meteor falls in the field
14. In what state is Billie Jo born?
15. Billie Jo is glad to be around Mad Dog because he _________________________ or treat her like she's handicapped.
(a) Doesn't leer at her
(b) Doesn't stare at her hands
(c) Doesn't drink alcohol
(d) Doesn't swear
Short Answer Questions
1. How many trees are in Billie Jo's front yard?
2. Who has a reputation for cheating customers at his store?
3. What does Billie Jo like to fall from the trees into her hair?
4. Which of the following is not one of the things Billie Jo expects to eat after the apples are ripe?
5. Who used to encourage Billie Jo to try out for a sport?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)