|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ma think will help get water to the crops?
(b) A windmill
(c) Water tower
(d) A sprinkler system
2. What totally unexpected event occurs in Autumn 1934?
(a) It snows
(b) Daddy sells the farm
(c) A meteor falls in the field
(d) Billie Jo falls in love
3. After the exhibit is over, Billie Jo is angry because ___________________________.
(a) She is on the clean-up crew
(b) They didn't make enough money
(c) She can't see more art
(d) None of her painting sold
4. What does Arley ask Billie Jo to do for Vera Wanderdale's dance revue?
(a) Sell tickets
(b) Serve refreshments
(c) Sew costumes
(d) Play piano
5. What does Miss Freeland explain to Billie Jo's class?
(a) The reasons for World War I
(b) The case for evolution
(c) The solar system
(d) How the drought happened
6. What does Daddy say uses up more water than the wheat?
(a) Apple trees
(b) Doing laundry
(d) Washing dishes
7. Who has a reputation for cheating customers at his store?
(a) Mr. Romney
(b) Mad Dog Craddock
(c) Arley Wanderdale
(d) Mr. Hardly
8. What flowers would grow on the graves of the war dead?
(a) Red poppies
(b) Pink peonies
(c) White roses
(d) Blue iris
9. What does President Roosevelt encourage people to plant in the dust bowl?
(a) Prairie grass
10. Billie Jo says about her father that "If he had cried, his tears would have been __________ too, but he didn't cry."
11. What noteworthy event happens in Hawaii in the summer of 1934?
(a) Pearl Harbor is attacked
(b) The stereo is invented
(c) There is a pineapple pickers strike
(d) Mount Kilauea erupts
12. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
(a) Where he performs
(b) How old he is
(c) Where he lives
(d) How he got his name
13. Ma is burned so badly that she is _______________________.
14. In what opera is Billie Jo's teacher going to sing?
(a) The Marriage of Figaro
(c) Madame Butterfly
15. In her dream what does Billie Jo find in the neighbor's house?
(a) A statue of Franklin D. Roosevelt
(b) Dead apple trees
(c) A piano
(d) A wall of dust
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billie Jo think she should get extra credit in class?
2. What does Daddy do as a result of Ma's injuries?
3. What is Billie Jo's new baby brother named?
4. What ruins the family's winter wheat crop?
5. Billie Jo would be a good athlete because she is ___________ and has great hands.
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)