|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daddy no longer tell Billie Jo?
(a) To put her hands to good use
(b) That she is beautiful
(c) That he loves her
(d) That she can be anything she wants to be
2. What is contained in the boxes that Billie Jo finds?
(a) Antique knives
(b) Travel brochures
(c) Cookie cutters
(d) Mementoes of Billie Jo's life
3. In her dream what does Billie Jo find in the neighbor's house?
(a) A statue of Franklin D. Roosevelt
(b) Dead apple trees
(c) A wall of dust
(d) A piano
4. Billie Jo cannot forgive her father for _________________________.
(a) The pail of kerosene left by the stove
(b) Not buying her a new dress
(c) Abandoning her
(d) Not loving her enough
5. What totally unexpected event occurs in Autumn 1934?
(a) Daddy sells the farm
(b) A meteor falls in the field
(c) It snows
(d) Billie Jo falls in love
6. What crop is dying and drying up?
7. What can Billie Jo no longer tolerate?
(a) Being a teenager
(b) Living with her father
(c) Being in a room with a piano
(d) Going to school
8. What does President Roosevelt encourage people to plant in the dust bowl?
(d) Prairie grass
9. What does Billie Jo see eating up the wheat crop?
10. How much wheat does one farmer get from a 20-bushel acre?
(a) 3 bushels
(b) 17 bushels
(c) 13 bushels
(d) 8 bushels
11. Which of the following does not hurt Billie Jo's hands?
12. What is in the pail that Ma grabs in the kitchen?
13. What is Daddy's job?
(a) Auditing tax returns
(b) Selling agricultural implements
(c) Selling men's clothes
(d) Digging holes for towers
14. The boy who stops at Billie Jo's house to work and eat is headed to __________________.
(c) Las Vegas
15. What do the neighbors talk about after Ma's funeral?
(a) How young Ma was
(b) How Billie Jo threw the bucket of kerosene
(c) How dirty the house is
(d) How Ma was too good for Daddy
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a reputation for cheating customers at his store?
2. What does Daddy think about Ma's idea to get water to the crops?
3. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
4. How many other children other than Billie Jo are in Billie Jo's family in the Beginning?
5. What flowers would grow on the graves of the war dead?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)