|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other children other than Billie Jo are in Billie Jo's family in the Beginning?
2. What is in the pail that Ma grabs in the kitchen?
3. Billie Jo would be a good athlete because she is ___________ and has great hands.
(d) A team player
4. How does Billie Jo have to set the table during the dust bowl era?
(a) With dish towels covering the food
(b) With the plates and glasses upside down
(c) With a plastic tablecloth
(d) With plastic wrap over the dishes
5. The boy who stops at Billie Jo's house to work and eat is headed to __________________.
(d) Las Vegas
6. What do the girls at the show want to know about Mad Dog?
(a) Where he lives
(b) How he got his name
(c) How old he is
(d) Where he performs
7. What event is held at the courthouse?
(a) Ice cream social
(b) Political rally
(c) Barbershop quartet show
(d) Art exhibit
8. How is Daddy going to get help with the farm?
(a) A new tractor
(b) A government loan
(c) Better seeds
(d) A new partner
9. What noteworthy event happens in Hawaii in the summer of 1934?
(a) The stereo is invented
(b) Mount Kilauea erupts
(c) There is a pineapple pickers strike
(d) Pearl Harbor is attacked
10. What does Billie Jo like to fall from the trees into her hair?
11. What is Daddy doing based on advice Ma had given him?
(a) Selling the farm
(b) Digging a pond
(c) Buying a tractor
(d) Hiring some help
12. What does Daddy say uses up more water than the wheat?
(a) Apple trees
(c) Washing dishes
(d) Doing laundry
13. Who has a reputation for cheating customers at his store?
(a) Mr. Hardly
(b) Mad Dog Craddock
(c) Mr. Romney
(d) Arley Wanderdale
14. Billie Jo chooses a set of songs that all have the word ___________ in the title.
15. Why does Billie Jo go to Mrs. Brown's house?
(a) To learn to sew
(b) To take singing lessons
(c) To eat raspberry pie
(d) To see a flower as big as a plate
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billie Jo's new baby brother named?
2. Arley thinks that Billie Jo can ___________________________.
3. What scholastic achievement does Billie Jo reach?
4. Why does Billie Jo think she should get extra credit in class?
5. What do the neighbors talk about after Ma's funeral?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)