|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Billie Jo throws the pail outside?
(a) It breaks a window
(b) It breaks in two
(c) It hits Ma and she is burned
(d) It hits a neighbor kid
2. What little bit of good happens at the beginning of Summer 1934?
(a) A bank loan
(b) An inheritance
(c) A drizzling rain
(d) A new car
3. How many times does Billie Jo attend the event at the courthouse?
4. Where does Daddy go to work?
(a) The power company
(c) The phone company
(d) The state government
5. What does Billie Jo call her father since Ma's death?
(a) Daddy dearest
(b) My father
(c) Kerosene killer
6. What scholastic achievement does Billie Jo reach?
(a) Highest in the state achievement tests
(b) Full college scholarship
(c) Completed high school two years early
(d) Winner of the regional spelling bee
7. Who does Billie Jo go on the road with to play piano?
(a) The Brice Family
(b) Mr. Romney
(c) Arley Wanderdale
(d) The Goodwin Gospel Group
8. The boy who stops at Billie Jo's house to work and eat is headed to __________________.
(b) Las Vegas
9. How much wheat does one farmer get from a 20-bushel acre?
(a) 17 bushels
(b) 13 bushels
(c) 8 bushels
(d) 3 bushels
10. In her dream what does Billie Jo find in the neighbor's house?
(a) Dead apple trees
(b) A statue of Franklin D. Roosevelt
(c) A wall of dust
(d) A piano
11. What helps Billie Jo escape life's problems?
(c) Her piano
12. What does Daddy no longer tell Billie Jo?
(a) That she is beautiful
(b) That she can be anything she wants to be
(c) That he loves her
(d) To put her hands to good use
13. Arley thinks that Billie Jo can ___________________________.
(a) Go to college on a scholarship
(b) Play piano again if she tries
(c) Be anything she wants to be
(d) Learn to cook
14. What does President Roosevelt encourage people to plant in the dust bowl?
(d) Prairie grass
15. What does Billie Jo see eating up the wheat crop?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been Billie Jo's best friend since first grade?
2. What does Billie Jo do as the dust storm approaches?
3. What is Daddy's job?
4. Who has a reputation for cheating customers at his store?
5. What does Daddy feed Ma?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)