|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grades can participate in the Whiz Kids competition?
2. How many quiz questions are there on the official Whiz Kids team test in Chapter 20?
3. What is Claire's greatest weakness in Whiz Kids trivia?
4. How much of the cost of Melody's Medi-Talker does insurance cover?
5. Who composed "Rhapsody in Blue"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the media respond to the competition results at the Whiz Kids tournament in Chapter 25?
2. How do Melody's teachers and peers respond when she returns to school with her Medi-Talker in Chapter 16?
3. How does Mrs. V assist Melody in achieving her objective in Chapter 15?
4. What is the outcome of the first round of the regional Whiz Kids tournament in Chapter 24?
5. What is the plan for preparing for the national championship for the Spaulding Street Elementary Whiz Kids team in Chapter 27?
6. What is Melody's reaction when she sees the newspaper in the beginning of Chapter 27?
7. What are the results of Mr. Dimming's test in Chapter 21?
8. How is Melody introduced to the character named Paul? What has Paul done to assist Melody?
9. Where does Melody go to eat with the Whiz Kids team in Chapter 26? What obstacle does she face when entering the establishment?
10. How does Mrs. V respond when she learns about the comment made by Mr. Dimming in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of family, friendship, and support in the novel. Who are the characters the support Melody the most? How do they support her? What does family mean to Melody?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Molly and Claire in the novel. How are these girls perceived by their fellow classmates at Spaulding Street Elementary? What are Melody's perceptions of Molly and Claire? What are the actions, objectives, and obstacles of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. V in the novel. What does Mrs. V look like? How would you describe Mrs. V's relationship with Melody? What does Mrs. V do to encourage Melody in the narrative?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)