|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. V's pet name for Melody?
2. On what day of the week does Melody go to the aquarium with Mrs. V, her family, and Rose?
3. Who composed "Rhapsody in Blue"?
4. What is the correct answer to the Whiz Kids quiz question: "Which planet is closest to the sun?"
5. What is Melody's answer to the Whiz Kids quiz question, "How many sides are on a heptagon?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the results of Mr. Dimming's test in Chapter 21?
2. How does Mrs. V assist Melody in achieving her objective in Chapter 15?
3. How does Catherine encourage Melody to keep advancing in Chapter 27?
4. How do the national championships differ from the regional tournaments in the Whiz Kids competition?
5. How does the media respond to the competition results at the Whiz Kids tournament in Chapter 25?
6. What contest has Mrs. V won in Chapter 13? How did she win the contest?
7. How does Rose's new computer inspire Melody in Chapter 14?
8. How does Melody's Whiz Kids team fare on the final round of the regional tournament in Chapter 25? How does the team respond?
9. What is Melody's reaction when she sees the newspaper in the beginning of Chapter 27?
10. What is the plan for preparing for the national championship for the Spaulding Street Elementary Whiz Kids team in Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. V in the novel. What does Mrs. V look like? How would you describe Mrs. V's relationship with Melody? What does Mrs. V do to encourage Melody in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of Out of My Mind. From whose perspective is the story related? Why do you think the author chose to employ this narrative perspective? How would the novel change if told from a different point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Melody's friendship with Rose in the novel. What forms the initial basis of their friendship? How does their friendship evolve as Melody gains the ability to communicate? What discrimination does Rose face as she befriends Melody?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)