|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grades can participate in the Whiz Kids competition?
2. Who does Melody choose to write her biography paper on for English class in Chapter 14?
3. What ancient city was covered in ash after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, according to the audio Melody listens to in Chapter 18?
4. Who is described by Melody in Chapter 16 as "one of the popular kids, and probably the biggest and tallest kid in the fifth grade"?
5. What is the stage manager's son's name who is in a wheelchair in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What test does Mr. Dimming give to his history class in Chapter 17? What is the purpose of the test?
2. What are the first words that Melody says to her parents with her Medi-Talker? How do they respond?
3. How does Mrs. V assist Melody in achieving her objective in Chapter 15?
4. How does Rose's new computer inspire Melody in Chapter 14?
5. What are the results of Mr. Dimming's test in Chapter 21?
6. How does Melody's Whiz Kids team fare on the final round of the regional tournament in Chapter 25? How does the team respond?
7. How does Rose behave toward Melody when she sees her in Mr. Dimming's class in Chapter 27? Why?
8. What convinces Mr. Dimming to allow Melody to take the test in Chapter 20?
9. How do Melody's teachers and peers respond when she returns to school with her Medi-Talker in Chapter 16?
10. How is Melody introduced to the character named Paul? What has Paul done to assist Melody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Molly and Claire in the novel. How are these girls perceived by their fellow classmates at Spaulding Street Elementary? What are Melody's perceptions of Molly and Claire? What are the actions, objectives, and obstacles of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
What are Melody's actions, objectives, and obstacles in the narrative? How does Melody go about achieving what she wants in the story? Does she achieve her objectives? What stands in her way, and how are these obstacles handled?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. V in the novel. What does Mrs. V look like? How would you describe Mrs. V's relationship with Melody? What does Mrs. V do to encourage Melody in the narrative?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)