|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Melody's first grade teacher at school?
2. How does Melody's goldfish die?
3. What does Mrs. V do after she and Melody watch the clouds in the end of Chapter 6?
4. What aspect of her appearance does Melody describe having appreciation for in Chapter 2?
5. Who is the "regular" fifth-grade language arts teacher at Melody's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of music does Melody enjoy the most? How does she describe the music in her household in Chapter 2?
2. How does Melody communicate when at school in Chapter 5? Does she find this method of communication to be satisfactory?
3. How is Mrs. V described in Chapter 6? How does Melody know Mrs. V?
4. Who is Ollie? How does Melody describe Ollie's death in Chapter 8?
5. How does Melody describe the communication between her and her mother in Chapter 10?
6. How is Mrs. Tracy described in Chapter 7? What does Melody like about Mrs. Tracy?
7. How is the character of Catherine introduced in Chapter 12? What are Melody's first impressions of Catherine?
8. How does Melody describe her mother's pregnancy in Chapter 9?
9. How does Melody describe the importance and meaning of "words" in Chapter 1?
10. What are Melody's thoughts about Mrs. Billups? What grade does Mrs. Billups teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the special education program at Spaulding Street Elementary School. How many classmates does Melody have in the program? How are these characters described? What kinds of relationships does Melody have with her peers in the special ed class?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Catherine play in Melody's life? How does Melody come to know Catherine? What does Catherine look like? How does Catherine help Melody achieve her objectives?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Melody's disability. What condition is Melody diagnosed with? How does this condition affect Melody physically, mentally, and emotionally? What are the causes of Melody's condition?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)