|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Melody's second grade teacher?
2. What does Melody name the puppy that her father gives her?
3. What does Mrs. V do after she and Melody watch the clouds in the end of Chapter 6?
4. Who does the music teacher place Freddy next to after he introduces himself to the class in Chapter 11?
5. Which of the special education students do the two mean girls make fun of in music class in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melody describe her mother's pregnancy in Chapter 9?
2. How does Melody describe her communication with her father in Chapter 10?
3. What are Melody's thoughts about Mrs. Billups? What grade does Mrs. Billups teach?
4. How does Melody describe her relationship with her father in Chapter 3?
5. How does Melody describe her school in Chapter 5? Where does Melody go to class?
6. How is the character of Catherine introduced in Chapter 12? What are Melody's first impressions of Catherine?
7. How does Melody's household change after her mother gives birth to Penny?
8. How is Mrs. V described in Chapter 6? How does Melody know Mrs. V?
9. How have Melody's circumstances changed as she enters fifth grade in Chapter 11?
10. How does Mrs. Brooks respond to Dr. Hugely's assessment of Melody in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Melody the central focus for the reporters at the Whiz Kids tournaments? How does this focus on Melody impact the other team members? How does Melody feel about the attention?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Melody's relationship with her parents. Who is Melody closest to? Why? Would you say that Melody's parents are supportive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of family, friendship, and support in the novel. Who are the characters the support Melody the most? How do they support her? What does family mean to Melody?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)