|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Melody's last name?
2. Where does Melody try to get her dad to take her to eat, but becomes frustrated because she cannot communicate, in Chapter 10?
3. How old is Melody when her mother becomes pregnant with her second child?
4. What is Melody's favorite cartoon from the newspaper?
5. How does Melody describe Penny as a baby in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melody describe the importance and meaning of "words" in Chapter 1?
2. How does Melody describe her school in Chapter 5? Where does Melody go to class?
3. How would you describe Melody's perceptions of herself in the beginning of the novel?
4. How does Melody describe her communication with her father in Chapter 10?
5. What are "photographic memory" and "synesthesia"? How do these terms apply to Melody in the novel?
6. How does Melody describe her mother's pregnancy in Chapter 9?
7. How is Mrs. V described in Chapter 6? How does Melody know Mrs. V?
8. What kind of dog is Butterscotch? How does Melody describe Butterscotch?
9. What are Melody's thoughts about Mrs. Billups? What grade does Mrs. Billups teach?
10. Who is Ollie? How does Melody describe Ollie's death in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Melody's actions, objectives, and obstacles in the narrative? How does Melody go about achieving what she wants in the story? Does she achieve her objectives? What stands in her way, and how are these obstacles handled?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of Out of My Mind. From whose perspective is the story related? Why do you think the author chose to employ this narrative perspective? How would the novel change if told from a different point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mrs. Billups and her actions as a teacher at Spaulding Street Elementary. What grade does Mrs. Billups teach at the school? How does she differ from Mrs. Tracy? Why does Mrs. Billups leave the school?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)