|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disability does Maria have in the narrative?
2. What does Penny call her favorite stuffed animal, according to Melody in Chapter 10?
3. What is Melody's father's name?
4. For how long does Melody have a pet goldfish before it dies?
5. What school does Melody's mother enroll her in after meeting with the intelligence specialist in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melody describe her mother's pregnancy in Chapter 9?
2. What kind of dog is Butterscotch? How does Melody describe Butterscotch?
3. How does Mrs. Brooks respond to Dr. Hugely's assessment of Melody in Chapter 4?
4. How does Melody describe her school in Chapter 5? Where does Melody go to class?
5. How does Melody describe her communication with her father in Chapter 10?
6. How does Melody describe her disability and its impacts on her everyday life in Chapter 2?
7. How have Melody's circumstances changed as she enters fifth grade in Chapter 11?
8. Who is Dr. Hugely? What are Melody's impressions of this character?
9. What are Melody's thoughts about Mrs. Billups? What grade does Mrs. Billups teach?
10. How would you describe Melody's perceptions of herself in the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of communication and language in the novel. What do words represent symbolically to Melody? How does Melody communicate with her parents, teachers, and peers? How does Melody's ability to communicate evolve in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of family, friendship, and support in the novel. Who are the characters the support Melody the most? How do they support her? What does family mean to Melody?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Penny in the novel. How old is Penny? How would you describe Melody's relationship with Penny? What jealousies does Melody feel regarding Penny? Why?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)